00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India

710 Views | 76 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've been seeing this a lot lately elsewhere on the net, and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here - but yesterday, India broke its previous record, with over 400K new (recorded) cases and a 7 day average of 365,000 new cases.


Canada, the US, and more recently some European countries, have banned travel from India and surrounding regions due to concern over the variant found in India at the moment, B.1617.


This is off the back of a first wave that had about ~68,000 recorded new cases per day at its peak back in September, and I remember looking at the graphs back then and 1) being shocked at the numbers and later 2) wondering why it had peaked for some reason (given that the trajectory was all but downwards, and coming off the back of a series of reopenings).


In the meantime, people are dying due to a widespread lack of oxygen in hospitals, with crematoriums running at full and over capacity, prompting people to take matters into their own hands. (Anecdotal stories of people having to search for oxygen far and wide, including depending on the Internet for help can be found online as well)


Normally, this isn't a political topic, except this wave is in large part due to political rallies and unnecessary religious gatherings held at the behest of the ruling party. As usual, the ruling party (the BJP) maintains that it is not due to those, despite evidence to the contrary;


Depending on who you ask, though, some choose to deflect the blame on the opposition party, the INC, or ignore reality altogether and pretend cases rose "naturally" - and this is in large part because 1) many more people in India lean right or hard-right and 2) the BJP has a long history of using widespread disinformation campaigns online.


Finally, vaccination schedules are going haywire, with everyone 18+ being eligible on paper; in reality, though, there is also a widespread vaccine shortage in many parts of the country. Schedules for the AZ vaccine, which were spaced out for 6-8 weeks in the past, have now been moved up to 12 weeks, which means that many people who were initially eligible (55+) only received their first dose so far.


There's a lot more to say about this, but I'm going to stop here. It's been dizzying to comprehend this, especially with relatives in India at the moment. Nearly everyone knows someone who has either got or died from the virus at this point.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-01 12:50:20


Well, I think it might be a firestorm of factors that created this. While there certainly has been a lot of recent political unrest under Modi's government, India is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, and it doesn't have it's own vaccine for Covid. The country has to rely on other countries for it, and those other countries are focusing on vaccinating their own people first. I did hear that Russia plans to give some vaccine to India at the end of May, and the US plans to do the same at some point. Unfortunately, It may get worse before it gets better. But I hope for the best with your relatives there.


At 5/1/21 12:50 PM, EdyKel wrote: Well, I think it might be a firestorm of factors that created this. While there certainly has been a lot of recent political unrest under Modi's government, India is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, and it doesn't have it's own vaccine for Covid. The country has to rely on other countries for it, and those other countries are focusing on vaccinating their own people first. I did hear that Russia plans to give some vaccine to India at the end of May, and the US plans to do the same at some point. Unfortunately, It may get worse before it gets better. But I hope for the best with your relatives there.


Not quite - India is a huge vaccine manufacturer and is producing millions of doses, both for export to other countries (under the COVAX program) and for use in the domestic population (although recently India seems to have reduced the number of doses it exports so that it can administer more vaccines locally).


In addition to that, the Covaxin vaccine was developed in India by Bharat Biotech and reportedly has a decent efficacy of ~80% - despite similarly murky circumstances as that of the Gamaleya vaccine (wide-scale deployment while Phase III trials were taking place, etc.) That being said, most people I know are getting AZ/Covishield instead of Covaxin, and I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps it's because far more doses of AZ are being produced by the SII than Covaxin by BBT.


The Gamaleya vaccine was approved about a fortnight ago, with plans for some ~800 million doses or so; the problem arises in that 1) vaccine hesitancy is still a bit of a problem, 2) there's a much larger population to vaccinate and 3) people had largely started ignoring regulations in the beginning of the year, and I suspect the PM declaring victory against the virus back in January had a lot to do with it.


India seems to be getting a pass on Covid due to its high population and density - although the first wave proved that measures, if in place, can limit the spread of the disease. It seems rather that the government got cocky. Pride before a fall and all, but it's doubtful if the BJP will face any flak for it in 2024.


Thankfully, my relatives have gotten the first dose so they're protected to some degree, but there have been reports of people getting exposed when going to get vaccinated at a hospital - which ruins the point of getting vaccinated at all.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-01 16:05:39


At 5/1/21 02:14 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/1/21 12:50 PM, EdyKel wrote: Well, I think it might be a firestorm of factors that created this. While there certainly has been a lot of recent political unrest under Modi's government, India is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, and it doesn't have it's own vaccine for Covid. The country has to rely on other countries for it, and those other countries are focusing on vaccinating their own people first. I did hear that Russia plans to give some vaccine to India at the end of May, and the US plans to do the same at some point. Unfortunately, It may get worse before it gets better. But I hope for the best with your relatives there.
Not quite - India is a huge vaccine manufacturer and is producing millions of doses, both for export to other countries (under the COVAX program) and for use in the domestic population (although recently India seems to have reduced the number of doses it exports so that it can administer more vaccines locally).

In addition to that, the Covaxin vaccine was developed in India by Bharat Biotech and reportedly has a decent efficacy of ~80% - despite similarly murky circumstances as that of the Gamaleya vaccine (wide-scale deployment while Phase III trials were taking place, etc.) That being said, most people I know are getting AZ/Covishield instead of Covaxin, and I'm not entirely sure why - perhaps it's because far more doses of AZ are being produced by the SII than Covaxin by BBT.

The Gamaleya vaccine was approved about a fortnight ago, with plans for some ~800 million doses or so; the problem arises in that 1) vaccine hesitancy is still a bit of a problem, 2) there's a much larger population to vaccinate and 3) people had largely started ignoring regulations in the beginning of the year, and I suspect the PM declaring victory against the virus back in January had a lot to do with it.

India seems to be getting a pass on Covid due to its high population and density - although the first wave proved that measures, if in place, can limit the spread of the disease. It seems rather that the government got cocky. Pride before a fall and all, but it's doubtful if the BJP will face any flak for it in 2024.

Thankfully, my relatives have gotten the first dose so they're protected to some degree, but there have been reports of people getting exposed when going to get vaccinated at a hospital - which ruins the point of getting vaccinated at all.


Sounds like these vaccines came out not to long ago. I haven't heard about their problems, and anti-vaxer's hate for them, yet. I just read that India needs more vaccines from other countries.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 07:05:34


AHHHH!!! I"M GONNA DIEEEE!!!!

(disclamer: this does not mean I live in India.)


BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 11:57:29


I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.

Also, you'd have to have no brain to think you can kill a virus. You can kill bacteria, however.

Also, regarding this, do not get mad at me. I am not a karen, I just have a different opinion. Remember, I respect your opinion, so it's only fair if you respect mine.


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 12:16:47


At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities.


We can kind of put a pin in this whole topic with this fact. But the paranoia must go on.....

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 12:47:39


At 5/2/21 12:16 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities.
We can kind of put a pin in this whole topic with this fact. But the paranoia must go on.....


I know, right?


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 13:09:31


At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.


Just get your shot.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 13:20:48


At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.

What if I have a weak immune system?


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:23:14


At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?


Do you live in a bubble? If not, get the shot.


At 5/2/21 12:16 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities.
We can kind of put a pin in this whole topic with this fact. But the paranoia must go on.....


Except since the elderly are getting vaccinated, it's now younger age groups (<65) ending up in ICUs.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:38:49


At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?


Then especially.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:43:10


At 5/2/21 05:23 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?
Do you live in a bubble? If not, get the shot.


No thanks Karen


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:43:44


At 5/2/21 05:38 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?
Then especially.

No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:48:03


At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:38 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?
Then especially.
No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month


Pussy.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 17:59:38


At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:23 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?
Do you live in a bubble? If not, get the shot.
No thanks Karen


So much drama from you over a shot. You're so excitable that you THINK I'm the woman.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-02 19:20:39


At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month


Which country do you live in?


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 10:27:48


At 5/2/21 07:20 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month
Which country do you live in?


Canada right now, but we were thinking about moving to Sweden so idk

Also, for those of you who are like, 'ooh yeas, but canada is free' It's not. We aren't even allowed to peacefully gather at a church, and we have actually thrown a pastor in jail because he didn't want to quit his life job.


أوين


At 5/3/21 10:27 AM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 07:20 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month
Which country do you live in?
Canada right now, but we were thinking about moving to Sweden so idk
Also, for those of you who are like, 'ooh yeas, but canada is free' It's not. We aren't even allowed to peacefully gather at a church, and we have actually thrown a pastor in jail because he didn't want to quit his life job.


I live in Canada in the exact province you are talking about and I call bullshit. I personally know people who have gone to church since last year in this same province, and they have faced absolutely zero issues whatsoever because their church follows the COVID-19 guidelines that the AHS set out.


Alberta has been VERY lenient with COVID restrictions and never even had a strict lockdown unlike other places, much to the chagrin of many people. But in spite of that, you think you are being oppressed because you can't pack a fucking church with antimaskers?


The fact of the matter is that the church you are describing openly violated AHS guidelines in defiance of local bylaws, and you are a fucking wannabe edgelord teen who doesn't know how fucking good he has it. Your posts are incredibly insensitive to the reality, and I'm putting this incredibly lightly.


If you're going to Sweden because people don't wear masks there, you're not gonna be welcome. The main reason? At least Swedes look out for each other instead of being "woe is me, me me" all the damn time.


Grow the fuck up before you're forced to grow up.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 12:54:30


At 5/3/21 12:27 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/3/21 10:27 AM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 07:20 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: No thanks Karen I'd rather not die this month
Which country do you live in?
Canada right now, but we were thinking about moving to Sweden so idk
Also, for those of you who are like, 'ooh yeas, but canada is free' It's not. We aren't even allowed to peacefully gather at a church, and we have actually thrown a pastor in jail because he didn't want to quit his life job.
I live in Canada in the exact province you are talking about and I call bullshit. I personally know people who have gone to church since last year in this same province, and they have faced absolutely zero issues whatsoever because their church follows the COVID-19 guidelines that the AHS set out.

Alberta has been VERY lenient with COVID restrictions and never even had a strict lockdown unlike other places, much to the chagrin of many people. But in spite of that, you think you are being oppressed because you can't pack a fucking church with antimaskers?

The fact of the matter is that the church you are describing openly violated AHS guidelines in defiance of local bylaws, and you are a fucking wannabe edgelord teen who doesn't know how fucking good he has it. Your posts are incredibly insensitive to the reality, and I'm putting this incredibly lightly.

If you're going to Sweden because people don't wear masks there, you're not gonna be welcome. The main reason? At least Swedes look out for each other instead of being "woe is me, me me" all the damn time.

Grow the fuck up before you're forced to grow up.


I live in Newfoundland and Labrador and cases are not going too far except for the cases at February but overall it’s fine.

Wishs the bests to Alberta.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 13:15:49


At 5/3/21 12:54 PM, Zinkic wrote: I live in Newfoundland and Labrador and cases are not going too far except for the cases at February but overall it’s fine.
Wishs the bests to Alberta.


Every province could look to Atlantic Canada for a model on how to handle COVID properly. Unfortunately it seems that some provinces are depending on vaccination as a Hail Mary rather than curbing infection spread.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

At 5/3/21 01:15 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/3/21 12:54 PM, Zinkic wrote: I live in Newfoundland and Labrador and cases are not going too far except for the cases at February but overall it’s fine.
Wishs the bests to Alberta.
Every province could look to Atlantic Canada for a model on how to handle COVID properly. Unfortunately it seems that some provinces are depending on vaccination as a Hail Mary rather than curbing infection spread.


Yeah. I often visit Ontario, Yukon or British Columbia. Sometimes New Brunswick. But in this year I’ve not gotten out of here. After what happened in February, everyone just stays at home. Staying at your house drinking some chocolate suits you.

Going to the market though is a real problem.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 16:49:53


At 5/2/21 05:59 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:43 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 05:23 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:20 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/2/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 5/2/21 11:57 AM, FunBoy07 wrote: I don't know if this is the right time or place, but most of the deaths (the majority) have been in long term care facilities. And are we just going to ignore the fact that covid has been around for a suspicious amount of time? Believe me when I write this, I thought covid was a pandemic when it started, I'm not saying there isn't a virus, I'm just saying the karens in charge of the world should calm down.
Just get your shot.
What if I have a weak immune system?
Do you live in a bubble? If not, get the shot.
No thanks Karen
So much drama from you over a shot. You're so excitable that you THINK I'm the woman.


I'm also not getting the shot, no matter how many times you tell me to. Accept it.


أوين


At 5/3/21 04:49 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: I'm also not getting the shot, no matter how many times you tell me to. Accept it.


Here's something you ought to know. You can take a dumbass to a COVID hotspot, but you can't make them get the vaccine.


Everyone here is telling you to get the shot if you can because it's the smallest measure you can take to help protect others. At the end of the day, though, nobody cares whether you as an individual gets it or not, so if you're trying to fish for attention by being a contrarian, then go fuck yourself.


Maybe one day you'll look back on these posts and wonder what the hell you were thinking. Quite frankly I'd be alarmed if you didn't.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 21:01:18


At 5/3/21 06:45 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/3/21 04:49 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: I'm also not getting the shot, no matter how many times you tell me to. Accept it.
Here's something you ought to know. You can take a dumbass to a COVID hotspot, but you can't make them get the vaccine.

Everyone here is telling you to get the shot if you can because it's the smallest measure you can take to help protect others. At the end of the day, though, nobody cares whether you as an individual gets it or not, so if you're trying to fish for attention by being a contrarian, then go fuck yourself.

Maybe one day you'll look back on these posts and wonder what the hell you were thinking. Quite frankly I'd be alarmed if you didn't.

(I'd rather not fuck myself.) How about we end the convo. I'm not getting it, Conversation closed.


أوين

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 21:07:21


At 5/3/21 09:01 PM, FunBoy07 wrote:
At 5/3/21 06:45 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 5/3/21 04:49 PM, FunBoy07 wrote: I'm also not getting the shot, no matter how many times you tell me to. Accept it.
Here's something you ought to know. You can take a dumbass to a COVID hotspot, but you can't make them get the vaccine.

Everyone here is telling you to get the shot if you can because it's the smallest measure you can take to help protect others. At the end of the day, though, nobody cares whether you as an individual gets it or not, so if you're trying to fish for attention by being a contrarian, then go fuck yourself.

Maybe one day you'll look back on these posts and wonder what the hell you were thinking. Quite frankly I'd be alarmed if you didn't.
(I'd rather not fuck myself.) How about we end the convo. I'm not getting it, Conversation closed.


I think you already did. While no one can force you to get the shot, you better hope you are wrong.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 21:09:49


At 5/1/21 12:50 PM, EdyKel wrote: Well, I think it might be a firestorm of factors that created this. While there certainly has been a lot of recent political unrest under Modi's government, India is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, and it doesn't have it's own vaccine for Covid. The country has to rely on other countries for it, and those other countries are focusing on vaccinating their own people first. I did hear that Russia plans to give some vaccine to India at the end of May, and the US plans to do the same at some point. Unfortunately, It may get worse before it gets better. But I hope for the best with your relatives there.


Didn't India also do the bare minimum in terms of social distancing/closures? Because from what I can tell, they did a two-week lockdown or something last year and that was it.


My company has an office in Bangalore, and several of the IT guys are there. Half of that staff is now out with COVID.

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 22:26:27


At 5/3/21 09:09 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 5/1/21 12:50 PM, EdyKel wrote: Well, I think it might be a firestorm of factors that created this. While there certainly has been a lot of recent political unrest under Modi's government, India is the 2nd largest populated country in the world, and it doesn't have it's own vaccine for Covid. The country has to rely on other countries for it, and those other countries are focusing on vaccinating their own people first. I did hear that Russia plans to give some vaccine to India at the end of May, and the US plans to do the same at some point. Unfortunately, It may get worse before it gets better. But I hope for the best with your relatives there.
Didn't India also do the bare minimum in terms of social distancing/closures? Because from what I can tell, they did a two-week lockdown or something last year and that was it.

My company has an office in Bangalore, and several of the IT guys are there. Half of that staff is now out with COVID.


They did. From what I understand, no one is quite sure why this is happening now. There's been a lot of political unrest, and religious gatherings, and more easing of restrictions, with some officials there believing that certain cities have obtained herd immunity because of the covid antibodies found in their blood. But, it just now exploding. Maybe they got too relaxed. Or maybe there is a new covid variant. Your guess is as good as mine.


One article i read reported that officials there believed that they had achieved herd imunity

Response to Record-high number of COVID-19 cases in India 2021-05-03 22:31:41


biden banned travel from india?


dam what a racist


lel

BBS Signature