00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Welcome FNF Fans!

32,468 Views | 191 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 12:43:43

sweet catch-up post!

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 12:48:08

I joined probibly a year ago now LOL

New grounds. Everything By Everyone

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 13:12:00

At 4/24/21 07:02 PM, ArticNinja165 wrote:
That reminds me. A lot of people wanted a writing portal, since the closest they have to it right now are forum posts.

Are you thinking of making one? I don't know how it'd work, but it'd be cool if there was one

It would be overrun with fanfic. *shudder*

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 13:28:26

At 4/24/21 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: A ton of Friday Night Funkin’ fans have been visiting Newgrounds this week, so I thought I should give newcomers some background into the site!

Newgrounds is a website where people share their original animation, games, art and music / voice.

I started Newgrounds in 1995 as a place to goof off on the web, making and sharing simple point and click games. I got into Flash in 1998 and introduced The Portal in 1999 as a place to showcase Flash by other artists. The system was automated in 2000, making it the first place on the web where one could instantly publish movies and games to the web.

The Audio Portal was added in 2003 because animators and game developers needed original music and we knew musicians wanted their music to be used in games and animation. The Art Portal was introduced in 2009 to round things out, since most animators had art they wanted to share.

Things took a turn in 2010, when it was announced the iPhone would not support Flash. A lot started happening around this time, really; users moved to mobile platforms, developers moved to app stores and Steam, YouTube flushed billions of dollars into the video space, platforms like SoundCloud emerged, the list goes on. This period was a sort of death by a thousand cuts for Newgrounds.

NG struggled hard but never went away and always kept evolving. We added support for video, keeping the focus on animation because that’s where our strength is. We added support for HTML5 games. We updated the site layout to be mobile-friendly and replaced our Flash-based video and audio players with HTML5.

We did a lot of things to prepare Newgrounds for the future but also did a lot to preserve our past. @Mike created Swivel, our free SWF to MP4 converter, which allowed Flash animation to make the leap to mobile (it also helped animators bring their work to YouTube). Mike also started Ruffle, the open source project to run Flash in the browser. Ruffle is why you can still play a lot of classic Flash on NG and it gets better every day.

All of this brings us to Friday Night Funkin’. 

FNF is the culmination of our four Portals; @PhantomArcade came from Animation, @ninjamuffin99 from Games, @KawaiSprite from Audio and @evilsk8r from Art. These four talented individuals met on Newgrounds and Friday Night Funkin’ is the result. This is why you see them hyping NG on social media and why Week 7 launched exclusively on NG, killing our servers for a moment. Thank you, by the way, to everyone who has become a Supporter to help cover costs!

The big takeaway from this is that Newgrounds is a site about collaboration. It’s about making cool stuff, sharing it, making friends and making more cool stuff together. Newgrounds is where I met @DanPaladin and made Alien Hominid, which ultimately led to the Behemoth and Castle Crashers. NG is where Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes met and made Super Meat Boy. It’s also where Edmund met Komix and made the original Binding of Isaac.

@PuffballsUnited and the Among Us team have NG roots. Check out our Among Us Animation Jam! A vast number of modern indie game developers have roots in NG. A vast number of people working in television animation have roots in NG. @SouljaBoy even started out making Flash cartoons.

I’m hoping this helps you better understand what Newgrounds is and hopefully your time here will inspire you to get creative. There are a million more things I could say but if you want to learn more, the Newgrounds History page is a good place to start.

If you want to catch up on some things, here’s a lot of the top animation from the past year, top games from the past year, top art from the past year and top audio from the past year. Enjoy!

We also recently hosted a Friday Night Funkin' Animation Jam, with winners to be announced. Get in there and vote!

Big thanks to the FNF crew for putting the spotlight on NG. Be sure to check out the FNF Kickstarter if you haven't!

Not only well said but a wonderful short story about NG’s history.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 13:34:52 (edited 2021-04-25 13:35:13)

At 4/24/21 04:46 PM, TheChoppa wrote: hi @Tomfulp how is your day today

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 13:46:39

At 4/25/21 11:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/25/21 09:29 AM, AlbeGian wrote: @TomFulp This may be kind of a weird question, but how did it feel to actually have the need to upgrade the infrastructure thanks to the MILLIONS of sudden new internet users visiting the page? I suppose that must've felt really nice (setting aside all the work you guys probably had to do). I feel really happy for the NG team, this page deserves more. Godspeed

Also welcome to NG FnF fans!!! hope you like it!!
It was exciting and terrifying at the same time!

To put some things into perspective, when Cascade crashed the site, it was actually because Andrew had uploaded it to Dumping Grounds and was loading it from there on his site. Dumping Grounds at the time was intended for private person to person file sharing and the files ran through PHP so they could potentially be protected from outside access. This meant every load of Cascade was a big hit on the site, which brought the site down. This was fixed by simply moving the file to where it belonged, at which point everything was fine.

When the Tumblr surge happened, we actually did need more servers and bandwidth but we were able to get those on-line pretty quickly and everything kept running.

With FNF, everything possible was maxed out and no matter what we threw at it, it demanded more. It was like staring into the abyss, like maybe it wouldn't be possible for us to host Week 7 without an extremely expensive enterprise solution. I had mentioned some things in the other thread like how we used to use CloudFlare for content delivery and ddos protection but had to drop it because it was getting more expensive as our revenue was declining. It would be an expensive commitment to revisit something like that.

We have some work to do but ideally we'll be able to handle the Week 8 surge without having to go into panic mode. I know a lot of this traffic is temporary but I like to think our daily traffic will remain higher than before when the dust settles. NG has been on an upward trajectory for years now and FNF is helping to speed that up a bunch. We're also in the post "Newgrounds is a Flash website and Flash is dying" period, where the weight of Flash's demise isn't pulling on us like an anchor and people can finally see the site with fresh eyes.

Can you please fix the newgrounds? It doesn't work properly on firefox. Thanks in advance

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 13:47:48

Wow, I had no idea the FNF website had a forum! Cool!

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 14:17:18

Uhhh, if you're new to newgrounds be sure to post ur stuff and blam under judgement entries to get a cool badge on your profile but also visit the forums bc there are cool ppl there :v

*xin laugh*

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 14:53:16

At 4/24/21 05:13 PM, GEOACO wrote: Legit did not know Soulja Boy of all people started out on Newgrounds. I'm very glad FNF made me really interested on Newgrounds' characters, history, etc. The only NG series I even knew a whole lot about was Madness Combat by youtube and I didn't even know a series based on the newgrounds mascot and pico's actual name was until FNF made that one trailer months ago, I also learnt of stuff like Dad N' Me, what Alien Hominid really was, Blochead and tons of other stuff as well! I've loved using this site ever since, I only ever used it as a kid for sonic flash games haha. Thanks for making such a cool website, Tom! It's been such an easy way to look for talented artists, musicians and cool games by this website! I'm glad I have another place for posting art.

Yooo! I too played Sonic Flash games on Newgrounds too as a kid ^^

"This ain't a scene, this is a goddamn arms race"

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 14:54:41

At 4/24/21 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: A ton of Friday Night Funkin’ fans have been visiting Newgrounds this week, so I thought I should give newcomers some background into the site!

Newgrounds is a website where people share their original animation, games, art and music / voice.

I started Newgrounds in 1995 as a place to goof off on the web, making and sharing simple point and click games. I got into Flash in 1998 and introduced The Portal in 1999 as a place to showcase Flash by other artists. The system was automated in 2000, making it the first place on the web where one could instantly publish movies and games to the web.

The Audio Portal was added in 2003 because animators and game developers needed original music and we knew musicians wanted their music to be used in games and animation. The Art Portal was introduced in 2009 to round things out, since most animators had art they wanted to share.

Things took a turn in 2010, when it was announced the iPhone would not support Flash. A lot started happening around this time, really; users moved to mobile platforms, developers moved to app stores and Steam, YouTube flushed billions of dollars into the video space, platforms like SoundCloud emerged, the list goes on. This period was a sort of death by a thousand cuts for Newgrounds.

NG struggled hard but never went away and always kept evolving. We added support for video, keeping the focus on animation because that’s where our strength is. We added support for HTML5 games. We updated the site layout to be mobile-friendly and replaced our Flash-based video and audio players with HTML5.

We did a lot of things to prepare Newgrounds for the future but also did a lot to preserve our past. @Mike created Swivel, our free SWF to MP4 converter, which allowed Flash animation to make the leap to mobile (it also helped animators bring their work to YouTube). Mike also started Ruffle, the open source project to run Flash in the browser. Ruffle is why you can still play a lot of classic Flash on NG and it gets better every day.

FNF is the culmination of our four Portals; @PhantomArcade came from Animation, @ninjamuffin99 from Games, @KawaiSprite from Audio and @evilsk8r from Art. These four talented individuals met on Newgrounds and Friday Night Funkin’ is the result. This is why you see them hyping NG on social media and why Week 7 launched exclusively on NG, killing our servers for a moment. Thank you, by the way, to everyone who has become a Supporter to help cover costs!

The big takeaway from this is that Newgrounds is a site about collaboration. It’s about making cool stuff, sharing it, making friends and making more cool stuff together. Newgrounds is where I met @DanPaladin and made Alien Hominid, which ultimately led to the Behemoth and Castle Crashers. NG is where Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes met and made Super Meat Boy. It’s also where Edmund met Komix and made the original Binding of Isaac.

@PuffballsUnited and the Among Us team have NG roots. Check out our Among Us Animation Jam! A vast number of modern indie game developers have roots in NG. A vast number of people working in television animation have roots in NG. @SouljaBoy even started out making Flash cartoons.

I’m hoping this helps you better understand what Newgrounds is and hopefully your time here will inspire you to get creative. There are a million more things I could say but if you want to learn more, the Newgrounds History page is a good place to start.

If you want to catch up on some things, here’s a lot of the top animation from the past year, top games from the past year, top art from the past year and top audio from the past year. Enjoy!

We also recently hosted a Friday Night Funkin' Animation Jam, with winners to be announced. Get in there and vote!

Big thanks to the FNF crew for putting the spotlight on NG. Be sure to check out the FNF Kickstarter if you haven't!

ok I didn't know SouljaBoy started out from Newgrounds??? :/

"This ain't a scene, this is a goddamn arms race"

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 14:57:48

the lore of Newgrounds

FunkyRobloxian-

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 15:32:49

Yeah, i kinda came here for the Friday Night Funkin', and it was a shock to me that Newgrounds crashed. But i managed to play Week 7 and it was awesome! However, i'm experimenting things like making games and animation, heck, i'm even planning to do art in the future. Make sure to follow me and if you want, you can send me a message for an idea for an game, animation, art or something. It will be a pleasure to meet you guys!

RenegadeOfficial AKA A983, creator of Sonic: Renegade, A983's World and many countless other things.

https://gamejolt.com/@RenegadeOfficial_Gamejolt

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 16:27:40

At 4/24/21 04:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: @SouljaBoy even started out making Flash cartoons.

I learn something new every time I'm on this site!

im so sweaty

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 16:58:22

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 17:03:03

hola

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 17:38:11

I was always aware of NG, but since I never had proper internet until mid 2016 I didn't see it often and by that time I thought it was dead. I wish I joined this place sooner. It's so much cooler than I thought and so much more chilled out and less corporate than places like reddit or facebook or whatever.

For reasons I don't understand, this place just feels more special than others and the focus on art and being a producer instead of a consumer is something I just find really appealing. Love it!

No time like the present. Let's GO!

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 17:42:49 (edited 2021-04-25 17:43:38)

Finally using this website again after years of having a dormant account. It's nice to finally see more people using this site for the stuff they love.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 18:47:00

SEE EVEN TOM FULP IS BEING NICE TO THE LITTLE KIDDOS

DONT GIVE YOUR KID A BOWL CUT YOU MIGHT AS WELL KILL HIM

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 19:53:24

Big Thanks to @Tomfulp ! Newgrounds inspired me to pursue a career in animation about 12 years ago. Was a long journey of ups and downs but was worth it. Keep being cool Tom and thanks again!

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 20:29:01

I have been a big Newgrounds fan for a long time, since around 2009 or 2010 at least, i remember watching tons of flash animations and playing games, and of course discovering new ones i fell in love with and have definitely inspired in various ways, though i have to admit there was a point where i kind of forgot to check this site as often but not completely, after FNF came out i got into the site more once again, and i finally got brave enough to actually make an account after all these years. I'm so glad that now more people are interested in the site and discovering the stuff i liked so many years ago, can't wait to see what the future holds. You the best Tom

Call the cops all you want on me

That won't make me uncum on the Nintendo Wii

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 22:06:09

hola a todo

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-25 22:32:18

Honestly FNF is a big reason why im back on newgrounds! I used to have an account back in 2011 (formally Brawler3DS, wew what an age 10 years ago) and had a lot fond memories here! It was only right to come back and support the site of my childhood! Honestly glad to be back, a lot of things I missed!

brawl (tied to ultimate) is the best smash game (casually)

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 00:01:03

'Ello! I'm new :D

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 00:50:08 (edited 2021-04-26 00:50:21)

At 4/24/21 05:13 PM, GEOACO wrote:

"I've loved using this site ever since, I only ever used it as a kid for sonic flash games haha."

Ultimate Flash Sonic? Also agreed. Surprised to hear Soulja Boy was on NG.

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 01:55:16

I used to hang around here a lot when I was much younger and growing up on the Internet; I was here primarily for Flash games but I also liked that it hosted animation as well. I never really forgot about it (how could I) but admittedly I didn't end up coming back around until FNF drew everybody's attention to it. It's nice to finally have a brand new account alongside a fresh start as well as to see it active again-- not only that but bustling currently! It generally feels a lot nicer and more welcoming on here than it does on other sites I'm on (primarily Twitter), ha. It's good to be back :)

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 06:46:53

rip tom fingers

THE SPROTER PRITER STRINTER TES IS A BAL BLA BAL KALALAMBA

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 08:01:44

funkin is the reason i joined newgrounds this january and man do i love it here ! like. i feel like i could actually amount to something here, unlike on any other site ive posted my dumb bullshit on. cant wait to see whats in store for the rest of the year for newgrounds :)

the hell is my signature supposed to have

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 10:20:31

Hey @TomFulp, have you been eating your greens? I just want you to grow up as a strong healthy boy.

Obama fan

Commissions are open, click banner to commission me !!

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 10:29:21

Welcome everyone, to a site where community and freedom are household names.

Ο ήχος του δημιουργού μας, το πεπρωμένο μας του πνεύματος, η αγκαλιά του σύμπαντος.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome FNF Fans! 2021-04-26 11:15:56

Mr. Fulp, you are a blessing. It's a crying shame most individuals haven't even heard of Newgrounds, let alone spent their childhood on here. Thanks for the brief history lessons for these newcomers.

WowLookAtThisGamerRightHereHolyShit