00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Dragon's Mouth Sword

319 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-29 08:44:48


Just a little something I made, so that my art section would be more than just badges.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-29 15:00:43


At 3/29/21 08:44 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cieirmusic/dragon-s-mouth-sword
Just a little something I made, so that my art section would be more than just badges.


There where swords with built in guns going back to the earliest handguns, so there was something somewhat similar back in the day.

One problem with the design would be the very limited space for the fuel. You would probably need some extra special fuel to get a flame that could be used as a weapon. In a fantasy setting that could be arranged. Extra pure dragon's oil, maybe? I think you would want a bit more protection for the hand. Something like a cup or basket hilt.

Fun idea to play around with. :)

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-29 15:23:02 (edited 2021-03-29 15:23:20)


gah

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-29 23:03:02


At 3/29/21 03:00 PM, PerKGrok wrote:
At 3/29/21 08:44 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cieirmusic/dragon-s-mouth-sword
Just a little something I made, so that my art section would be more than just badges.
There where swords with built in guns going back to the earliest handguns, so there was something somewhat similar back in the day.
One problem with the design would be the very limited space for the fuel. You would probably need some extra special fuel to get a flame that could be used as a weapon. In a fantasy setting that could be arranged. Extra pure dragon's oil, maybe? I think you would want a bit more protection for the hand. Something like a cup or basket hilt.
Fun idea to play around with. :)


Well with this. I figured, the person holding the blade would be wearing gauntlets that have nomex in them. The same material used by fire fighters. As for limited fuel. I kinda based the handle housing off of the kind you'd find in airsoft guns, only instead of CO2, it'd be propane, butane any kind of fast liquid gas. When run out the swordsman/swordswoman would just stick another small tank in there like a clip from a gun. The idea being that it could be used to ward off multiple attackers for a short amount or if you're a dirty fighter, you stab the enemy in the heat of battle then push the buttons.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-31 00:54:39


The guage is a unique feature and is my favorite thing about this weapon, but other than that; it's a pretty cookie cutter in design.

I'd suggest thinking outside of the box. And try experimenting with more shapes and colors, make it stand out more.

Meta Knight's sword

Link's Master Sheild

Kingdom Key


You also can't go wrong with looking at some References as well.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-03-31 01:59:52


At 3/31/21 12:54 AM, thepixelizer wrote: The guage is a unique feature and is my favorite thing about this weapon, but other than that; it's a pretty cookie cutter in design.
I'd suggest thinking outside of the box. And try experimenting with more shapes and colors, make it stand out more.
Meta Knight's sword
Link's Master Sheild
Kingdom Key

You also can't go wrong with looking at some References as well.


Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life. I plan on drawing out a shield and some armor in the same vein. Also it ties in some overall philosophy I believe in. While the shapes of say Metaknights sword make it look cool, in real life, the complexity of it would make one vulnerable in battle. Simple, Practical, but efficient.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-01 19:28:06


At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.


I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.


Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

iu_269668_8048042.jpg

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

iu_269669_8048042.jpg

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?


Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-01 23:09:23


Reminds me of a sloppy rendition of an adventure quest weapon. But like the one from 2006. Nice, thanks for reminding me of that.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 09:23:50


At 4/1/21 11:09 PM, Beaten-Cueballs wrote: Reminds me of a sloppy rendition of an adventure quest weapon. But like the one from 2006. Nice, thanks for reminding me of that.


Personally while I can see why you'd dislike it, I do think sloppy has it's advantages. Part of the appeal of the art was I wanted to show something that looks like it could be made for real. Even with the imperfections. I kinda got inspired by of all things Nightmare on Elm Street. The scene where Freddy is building his claw. While the dream kills are scary in their own right, what scared most audiences when they first watch that movie was the fact that this thing could easily be built in real life, with tools handy and that anyone could be Freddy. In this case, I apply it more in the heroic fashion. That anyone could make this and charge off into battle.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 10:00:21


At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.


Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.


Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.


I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:


iu_272332_8383057.jpg

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.

I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.


I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 12:54:17 (edited 2021-04-05 12:54:42)


At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.


Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 15:22:01


At 4/5/21 12:54 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.
Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.

I only respond to what you give me and the fact that you used the word "excuse" already alerted me. You didn't come here to criticize, you came here to insult and make fun of me and I wasn't giving you the satisfaction. Hell I'm not even in competition with you, yet your unwarranted response, comes across as something a competitor does in an effort to psyche or discourage others on the off chance that they may even remotely be better than you. Guys like you are the reason why Art is looked down so much, that superiority snobbish bullshit you fling at me will not fly. When it comes to my work, I have the "excuse" of being new, novice, but continuously putting my heart into each picture I make. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag?


You may be better skilled and your work is top notch, but that doesn't give you the right to shit on anyone else at your leisure. So stay at the kid's table until you've grown up.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 17:16:25


Looks awesome, dude!

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 18:31:09


At 4/5/21 05:16 PM, Notimportantrightnow wrote: Looks awesome, dude!


Thanks. I just got a look at your stuff too. Amazing.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 20:18:05


At 4/5/21 03:22 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 12:54 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.
Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.
I only respond to what you give me and the fact that you used the word "excuse" already alerted me. You didn't come here to criticize, you came here to insult and make fun of me and I wasn't giving you the satisfaction. Hell I'm not even in competition with you, yet your unwarranted response, comes across as something a competitor does in an effort to psyche or discourage others on the off chance that they may even remotely be better than you. Guys like you are the reason why Art is looked down so much, that superiority snobbish bullshit you fling at me will not fly. When it comes to my work, I have the "excuse" of being new, novice, but continuously putting my heart into each picture I make. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag?

You may be better skilled and your work is top notch, but that doesn't give you the right to shit on anyone else at your leisure. So stay at the kid's table until you've grown up.


Not reading that. Log off and make something worth getting defensive over.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 20:45:48


At 4/5/21 08:18 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 03:22 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 12:54 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.
Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.
I only respond to what you give me and the fact that you used the word "excuse" already alerted me. You didn't come here to criticize, you came here to insult and make fun of me and I wasn't giving you the satisfaction. Hell I'm not even in competition with you, yet your unwarranted response, comes across as something a competitor does in an effort to psyche or discourage others on the off chance that they may even remotely be better than you. Guys like you are the reason why Art is looked down so much, that superiority snobbish bullshit you fling at me will not fly. When it comes to my work, I have the "excuse" of being new, novice, but continuously putting my heart into each picture I make. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag?

You may be better skilled and your work is top notch, but that doesn't give you the right to shit on anyone else at your leisure. So stay at the kid's table until you've grown up.
Not reading that. Log off and make something worth getting defensive over.


Welp then you just proved my point. Go snob on someone else.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 20:51:12


At 4/5/21 08:45 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 08:18 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 03:22 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 12:54 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.
Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.
I only respond to what you give me and the fact that you used the word "excuse" already alerted me. You didn't come here to criticize, you came here to insult and make fun of me and I wasn't giving you the satisfaction. Hell I'm not even in competition with you, yet your unwarranted response, comes across as something a competitor does in an effort to psyche or discourage others on the off chance that they may even remotely be better than you. Guys like you are the reason why Art is looked down so much, that superiority snobbish bullshit you fling at me will not fly. When it comes to my work, I have the "excuse" of being new, novice, but continuously putting my heart into each picture I make. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag?

You may be better skilled and your work is top notch, but that doesn't give you the right to shit on anyone else at your leisure. So stay at the kid's table until you've grown up.
Not reading that. Log off and make something worth getting defensive over.
Welp then you just proved my point. Go snob on someone else.


If you tried to make a point, I didn't see it. But if you make points like you make designs, I bet it wasn't actually made all that well.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 20:52:37


At 4/5/21 08:51 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 08:45 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 08:18 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 03:22 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/5/21 12:54 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 10:00 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 07:28 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 3/31/21 01:59 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Part of why I made the blade and hilt too simple was because I wanted to combine Medieval Fantasy, Specifically Arthurian weaponry with modern tech. That said, messed up as it sounds I wanted to put a little realism into it, I honestly want to see if someone would one day forge this in real life.
I mean, it's a crude depiction of a sword with some extra rectangles on it. I don't really buy the idea that the simplicity comes from meticulous planning and research.

Most depictions of arthurian fantasy weapons are, y'know, interesting for one reason or another; like even the crudest garbage weapons they'd toss to a nameless footsoldier had some curves or tapering in the hilt, but you're talking about fantasy here, meaning there's going to be something more than primitive shapes. Here's what a researched fantasy weapon looks like:

And modern tech? What, like a cigarette lighter or something? If you want it to be tech, show the tech.

A little more complicated than the MS Paint rectangle tool, right?

Bottom line my dude, you might be putting thought into this stuff, but it's all tell, no show. I wish your designs would be half as elaborate as the excuses you make for why they don't look good.
Before I even remotely answer, I just want to say to everyone, that while I do accept criticism, I never once said I wouldn't defend certain parts of my design.

Ok first of all the only thing you did to insult me was assume I used MS Paint. I don't. Only time I even remotely use MS Paint is if I was doing something free association related. I use Sketchup and I use photoshop to help give it more of a pronounced look. Second off, it's not a cigarette lighter, though that would also be a good idea. It's a miniaturized version of a flamethrower nozzle. With a yellow tube going from it to the handle where the Gas would be housed.

I already once described what kind of tanks would be used for said gas, but since you called me out on it, without even doing the simplest of research. I'll show you:

This is a collection of CO2 Canisters. Commonly found in most airsoft guns and bb guns. Some paintball guns too.
I've looked up most sword handles before I even remotely drew it out and I've found out that a lot of them if hollowed out correctly, would easily fit one of these bad boys in.

I can accept any form of criticism, you can throw at me, but if you call my first art picture that isn't a badge out, just because you wanted more out of it, then I'm sorry you're gonna have to wait like everyone else. Only you're sitting at the kid's table.
Thanks for the laugh. Maybe if you spent half the time on your design as you do on typing defensive little rants, they might be worth looking at someday. But with that dipshit ego of yours, I doubt it.
I only respond to what you give me and the fact that you used the word "excuse" already alerted me. You didn't come here to criticize, you came here to insult and make fun of me and I wasn't giving you the satisfaction. Hell I'm not even in competition with you, yet your unwarranted response, comes across as something a competitor does in an effort to psyche or discourage others on the off chance that they may even remotely be better than you. Guys like you are the reason why Art is looked down so much, that superiority snobbish bullshit you fling at me will not fly. When it comes to my work, I have the "excuse" of being new, novice, but continuously putting my heart into each picture I make. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag?

You may be better skilled and your work is top notch, but that doesn't give you the right to shit on anyone else at your leisure. So stay at the kid's table until you've grown up.
Not reading that. Log off and make something worth getting defensive over.
Welp then you just proved my point. Go snob on someone else.
If you tried to make a point, I didn't see it. But if you make points like you make designs, I bet it wasn't actually made all that well.


Ok then I'll summarize. I have the "excuse" of being a novice in art. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag on me on your first response? You didn't come here to criticize you came here to pick a fucking fight.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 21:52:00 (edited 2021-04-05 21:53:29)


At 4/5/21 08:52 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Ok then I'll summarize. I have the "excuse" of being a novice in art. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag on me on your first response? You didn't come here to criticize you came here to pick a fucking fight.

Actually, I did come to give a critique, but when I came in, I had already seen you responding to good faith critique with nothing except excuses for why you will not revise your design, how changing anything would be betraying some sort of masterfully thought-out plan that exists vividly in your very special mind. So in addition to giving a critique, I called your defensiveness out, because that's a bigger obstacle to you than being a beginner at anything. Being a novice isn't an excuse for ignoring people that, frankly, know better than you. They don't owe you anything, so after seeing you ignore the thoughtful advice you came asking for, I did what most people here are too nice to do, and hinted, after a critique of your art, that you're not bad because you're new, you're bad because of who you are as a person. Unfortunately a consequence of who you are is that hints don't sink in.


That fragile, combative, petulant little attitude isn't unique. You're not the first to think that "critique" is just an artist's way of saying "compliments," and that anything that's actually critical is just an insult. You're Chris Chan. You're Norman Boutin. A million bloated egos have walked this path before you, up to that first peak in the Dunning Kruger curve where they all live out their lives.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 22:08:45


At 4/5/21 09:52 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/5/21 08:52 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote: Ok then I'll summarize. I have the "excuse" of being a novice in art. What's your excuse for acting like a douchebag on me on your first response? You didn't come here to criticize you came here to pick a fucking fight.
Actually, I did come to give a critique, but when I came in, I had already seen you responding to good faith critique with nothing except excuses for why you will not revise your design, how changing anything would be betraying some sort of masterfully thought-out plan that exists vividly in your very special mind. So in addition to giving a critique, I called your defensiveness out, because that's a bigger obstacle to you than being a beginner at anything. Being a novice isn't an excuse for ignoring people that, frankly, know better than you. They don't owe you anything, so after seeing you ignore the thoughtful advice you came asking for, I did what most people here are too nice to do, and hinted, after a critique of your art, that you're not bad because you're new, you're bad because of who you are as a person. Unfortunately a consequence of who you are is that hints don't sink in.

That fragile, combative, petulant little attitude isn't unique. You're not the first to think that "critique" is just an artist's way of saying "compliments," and that anything that's actually critical is just an insult. You're Chris Chan. You're Norman Boutin. A million bloated egos have walked this path before you, up to that first peak in the Dunning Kruger curve where they all live out their lives.


First of all, Asshole. I'm not the first person you pulled this crap on. I've done my homework on you and you've been doing nothing but teaching people how not to be artists, by dictating how they should do their art and belittiing them for the slightest perceived infraction you claim they've done. Second of all, I know the diffrence between negative criticism and a self centred douche like yourself who likes to put themselves up on pedestals, while insulting others. You want to talk ego? The fact you cherry picked a response from me from someone I wasn't even being remotely insulting to, just to excuse your own elitist behaviour. Pretty much trying to drag someone who probably wants nothing to do with the drama you yourself have started with your lackluster attempt at "Constructive Criticism." You didn't even read the rest of it, just picked the part that pissed you off and thought it was grounds to insult me as though I have no right to defend how I create my work. Do I expect compliments all the time? No, but I would appreciate that if you have something constructive and negative about my work that you stop being an asshole about it. The fact that you dismissed my early words as excuses shows, you're not in it to help artists move me along. You're in it to stroke your own ego, like you're hot shit or something. People like you make me sick to my stomach.


And FYI I don't buy your "They're too nice." Bullshit. Because so far the only one on this thread that seems to have a problem with me both as an artist and a person, is you and your fucking goons backing you up.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 23:16:08


At 4/5/21 09:23 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 11:09 PM, Beaten-Cueballs wrote: Reminds me of a sloppy rendition of an adventure quest weapon. But like the one from 2006. Nice, thanks for reminding me of that.
Personally while I can see why you'd dislike it, I do think sloppy has it's advantages. Part of the appeal of the art was I wanted to show something that looks like it could be made for real. Even with the imperfections. I kinda got inspired by of all things Nightmare on Elm Street. The scene where Freddy is building his claw. While the dream kills are scary in their own right, what scared most audiences when they first watch that movie was the fact that this thing could easily be built in real life, with tools handy and that anyone could be Freddy. In this case, I apply it more in the heroic fashion. That anyone could make this and charge off into battle.


a quick and simple weapon wouldn’t have engravings or fancy buttons that aren’t wired to anything.

did you mean something like this?

iu_272823_8577114.jpg


Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-05 23:42:10


At 4/5/21 11:16 PM, Beaten-Cueballs wrote:
At 4/5/21 09:23 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
At 4/1/21 11:09 PM, Beaten-Cueballs wrote: Reminds me of a sloppy rendition of an adventure quest weapon. But like the one from 2006. Nice, thanks for reminding me of that.
Personally while I can see why you'd dislike it, I do think sloppy has it's advantages. Part of the appeal of the art was I wanted to show something that looks like it could be made for real. Even with the imperfections. I kinda got inspired by of all things Nightmare on Elm Street. The scene where Freddy is building his claw. While the dream kills are scary in their own right, what scared most audiences when they first watch that movie was the fact that this thing could easily be built in real life, with tools handy and that anyone could be Freddy. In this case, I apply it more in the heroic fashion. That anyone could make this and charge off into battle.
a quick and simple weapon wouldn’t have engravings or fancy buttons that aren’t wired to anything.
did you mean something like this?

That seems less modern and more what would happen if the first people to use guns decided to get creative with their swords knowing what they knew then. That said, that is a pretty comical picture, I'll give it that.


As for your comment on how a quick and simple weapon wouldn't have engravings or anything fancy. I disagree. For one, even the most simple and quick weapons, would have something personal from the person that makes it. I only chose the engraving just to fit more into the medieval fantasy theme of the overall work. However, the idea being that if one were to make something like this, they'd add their own personal touches to it.


As for the buttons. I'd like you to look closely at the picture.


iu_272832_8383057.jpg

Above the buttons you can see a small thick, yellow line that connects the hilt to the handle. That is not a gold piece I just put there to make it look decorative. That is a small tube that connects the gas tank housing to the flame thrower.


The buttons themselves work similar to that of a BBQ lighter. The small one which opens the line and lets the gas flow. Which is also used as mentioned before as the safety button so that a handler wouldn't trigger the thrower by mistake and blow their own face off. The big one sets off the spark. Both of which are rigged in a way so that your thumb would touch the small and your palm would grip the big. If you look even more closely, you'll notice that the small button just just an inch or so away from the tube. I will provide future elaborations for the design, despite what Skoops here doubts. However I wanted to show the concept first, before working my way to that. Which I plan with other pics related to that.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-06 00:25:38


At 4/5/21 11:42 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:


Obligatory "Ew Comic Sans" comment.

Also, Latin's IMO overused and there are better languages to carve onto swords. French, Scots, Celt, You could cheap out and go with the good old norse runes route.


You might find that the results are better than you think!


Combocast :

Panacea - All Negative Statuses removed!

Prismatic Aurora Blast LV3 - Critical Weakness, Quadruple Damage! The Enemy has been Defeated!

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-06 00:37:17


At 4/6/21 12:25 AM, DesertSage wrote:
At 4/5/21 11:42 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
Obligatory "Ew Comic Sans" comment.
Also, Latin's IMO overused and there are better languages to carve onto swords. French, Scots, Celt, You could cheap out and go with the good old norse runes route.

You might find that the results are better than you think!


Now that's constructive Criticism and I thank you for at least being comical about it.

But while I'm not as hostile to you as I am to a certain someone here, I am still on my honor to defend. Until that person showed up and acted the way they did, my defences were never even meant to be rude or mean spirited. If anything, I wanted to see how the ones I responded to would be able to criticize be it positive or negative, if they knew more about why I did it the way I did. I don't expect everyone to like my work, but I often feel, most simply don't like what they don't understand and even then that doesn't mean they automatically have to like it after disliking it before.


I only used Latin because I wanted it to sound badass. I'm well aware of how cliche it was, but at the same time I couldn't help but write it that way. Never really cared what font I used, as long as it at least remotely looked like the sword was being carved on. That said, I never really got why people hate Comic Sans. There are so many worse fonts than that. Lol. That being said I'm not as fluent in French, Gaelic or Celtic and the Latin I even used, to my own admission was poorly google translated and I didn't want to fuck up any other language like that. I would have added runes to it, but I already went the rune route with one of my badges here.

But with that said, while the rune would look good, I didn't want to have to combine two that would mean "Fire blade" or something like that. I may be simplistic, but even I have my limits.


That said I do thank you for your input.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-06 14:21:05


At 4/6/21 12:37 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:


That said, I never really got why people hate Comic Sans. There are so many worse fonts than that. Lol.


People dunk on Comic Sans because it's one of the earliest fonts used, It's existed for a while and from it's inception had the main purpose of being a juvenile-appearing font. You're correct, There are many worse fonts, but comic sans is the one that's the most maligned because of the fact that it's free and was in use since displays could show higher resolution text. You can certainly find similar fonts that look more appealing, But on top of that, For a sword engraving, the question of the manner in which the phrase was etched on can diminish the spectacle. While you could certainly carve Comic Sans onto a sword by hand, which when you think of an "Etched Handmade sword" is the most logical conclusion, that can seem a bit odd.


TL;DR, It's Baby's first Typeface, if you're strapped for fontfaces there are a lot of sites that have similar fonts for free/that are open sauce, so keep that in mind.


Combocast :

Panacea - All Negative Statuses removed!

Prismatic Aurora Blast LV3 - Critical Weakness, Quadruple Damage! The Enemy has been Defeated!

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-06 21:36:25


At 4/6/21 02:21 PM, DesertSage wrote:
At 4/6/21 12:37 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
That said, I never really got why people hate Comic Sans. There are so many worse fonts than that. Lol.
People dunk on Comic Sans because it's one of the earliest fonts used, It's existed for a while and from it's inception had the main purpose of being a juvenile-appearing font. You're correct, There are many worse fonts, but comic sans is the one that's the most maligned because of the fact that it's free and was in use since displays could show higher resolution text. You can certainly find similar fonts that look more appealing, But on top of that, For a sword engraving, the question of the manner in which the phrase was etched on can diminish the spectacle. While you could certainly carve Comic Sans onto a sword by hand, which when you think of an "Etched Handmade sword" is the most logical conclusion, that can seem a bit odd.

TL;DR, It's Baby's first Typeface, if you're strapped for fontfaces there are a lot of sites that have similar fonts for free/that are open sauce, so keep that in mind.


I see what you mean. Now much of why I chose Sans aside from it being a common font (With some exceptions) I use for my album colors; I used that kind of font because I wanted to create sort of an indent look with exaggerated lines. I couldn't find a cursive writing style font otherwise I would have done it that way, but the idea being the saying was carved in by hand. As opposed to an engraving on a sword in real life which is often done with a metal stamp or punch or whatever they call it when they hammer the engraving in the side.


Also I'd like to take a moment to thank you. While I am obligated to defend my work, your constructive Criticism isn't something I can't learn from and maybe incorperate into future works.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-06 23:20:29


At 4/6/21 09:36 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:


While I am obligated to defend my work...


That is one thing you should consider, especially when in the novice stages, you are under NO Obligation to defend your work, Even if you have absolute confidence in it. That's an aspect that's painting a big target on your back for a complete discarding of your opinions. Know thy worth, and, know thy presentation space too. Even if you, who's just starting out, Can't name a single flaw in your sculpture of galatea, there's always a michelangelo with fifty davids in their portfolio to tell you why your bold and brash belongs in the trash, even if it's the same criticism the last piece had.


As it stands, The best thing I can suggest to you is to move away from whatever you're using to make this stuff and default back to traditional, You'll have more margins for error and no worries about losing a piece of paper in a blackout. On top of that, you won't have to worry about technical limitations, Pen and Paper will look better than MSPaint any day, even if you make it transparent and follow from ten different early 00's "How to draw Manga" Guidebooks.


Combocast :

Panacea - All Negative Statuses removed!

Prismatic Aurora Blast LV3 - Critical Weakness, Quadruple Damage! The Enemy has been Defeated!

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-07 09:09:38


At 4/6/21 11:20 PM, DesertSage wrote:
At 4/6/21 09:36 PM, CIEIRMusic wrote:
While I am obligated to defend my work...
That is one thing you should consider, especially when in the novice stages, you are under NO Obligation to defend your work, Even if you have absolute confidence in it. That's an aspect that's painting a big target on your back for a complete discarding of your opinions. Know thy worth, and, know thy presentation space too. Even if you, who's just starting out, Can't name a single flaw in your sculpture of galatea, there's always a michelangelo with fifty davids in their portfolio to tell you why your bold and brash belongs in the trash, even if it's the same criticism the last piece had.

As it stands, The best thing I can suggest to you is to move away from whatever you're using to make this stuff and default back to traditional, You'll have more margins for error and no worries about losing a piece of paper in a blackout. On top of that, you won't have to worry about technical limitations, Pen and Paper will look better than MSPaint any day, even if you make it transparent and follow from ten different early 00's "How to draw Manga" Guidebooks.


I feel obligated to defend my work, not because I think it's flawless, but because some people see certain decisions I make regarding it as a flaw. And I've often felt the need to explain the method to my madness. I welcome a lot of constructive criticism when it comes to the work in general, but by major peeve is people, I don't care if they're better experienced than I am, people that try to make me conform to what they consider good standards. To me Art even if you're doing it for profit, means freedom to express yourself and while my stuff isn't perfect, I've followed that golden rule. I'm well aware I paint a target on my back when I do this, but at the same time it helps me sort out the differences between good criticism, negative criticism, constructive criticism and assholes. You yourself are not an asshole, you've been nothing but courteous and polite even when pointing out flaws. When you could have easily insulted me. I literally feel no malice in your posts. You're literally bouncing between the lines of Good, Negative and Constructive. Which is how it should be for others. You set a great example for critics and to be honest, you should make a living out of it.


One specific asshole, who shall remain nameless at this point, didn't come to criticize. He came to tell me off for expressing my right to be defensive. Claimed that I was making excuses as though I was attacking the other people I've responded to on this. The comment that set him off, wasn't even directed at him, he did not exist to me until he showed up. He came in with his Holier than Thou attitude because he didn't think I was gonna be polite to him if he criticized me properly, so he proceeded to insult me. To top it off he's accused me of using MS Paint for my work, as though that was supposed to hurt me the most. First off as I mentioned before, I don't use MS Paint. I use Sketchup and Photoshop. Which I explained to this person. Second off, why do people knock MS Paint as the worst program. Comic Sans I get, but if one had the right equipment like one of those electric pen and pad things that artists use to draw, color and detail their work, even MS Paint could create Masterpieces. When I told him off and blocked him, he proceeded to make a shit post of my work. With one of his goons flat out copying my sword for a parody picture. Which considering that with the exception of fanworks, I sell each an every piece of Art I make, so what they did was not only rude, but it's plagiarism. I find out I'm not the only Artist this person has went after. The guy comes off as Carl Hill to me. (Watch Re-Animator if you don't get the reference.) Discouraging people actively and bullying those that don't see things his way. There's one guy on here, who is content to paying tribute to the Old Newgrounds, by making stick figure art. This jerk went after him too, simply because he made a new forum post to advertise his work. And yet this nameless jerk, says he hates me as a person. I can be a bit of an asshole don't get me wrong, but this guy is the 6 Million Dollar Asshole.


I apologize for ranting on. I know the difference between Critics and Assholes and that guy reeks.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-07 15:22:32 (edited 2021-04-07 15:27:15)


At 4/7/21 09:09 AM, CIEIRMusic wrote: I feel obligated to defend my work, not because I think it's flawless, but because some people see certain decisions I make regarding it as a flaw. And I've often felt the need to explain the method to my madness.


Case in point, Whoops. You absolutely have a right to explain what decisions you make with how you approach what you produce, But when it comes to the cutting room, You don't need to be too much in-depth about what choices you're making. Instead, Which is what you ended up doing a little in this thread, You try to explain what you saw in your head, what you were trying to create, which is perfect. What people can perceive as a flaw is subjective, but if they're also privvy to at least a good approximation as to what you were picturing in your head, the subjective flaws can align with the objective and the fundamental things that go into what others believe you were trying to make and with what was in your head. I don't quite know if I'm being clear enough or if that needs a further breakdown, but that's the most succinct way I can explain it.


I welcome a lot of constructive criticism when it comes to the work in general, but by major peeve is people, I don't care if they're better experienced than I am, people that try to make me conform to what they consider good standards...


One specific asshole, who shall remain nameless at this point, didn't come to criticize. He came to tell me off for expressing my right to be defensive. Claimed that I was making excuses as though I was attacking the other people I've responded to on this.


You might hate me for this, But Skoops was still initially making good faith arguments. He saw your manner in explaining your decisions as if you were stepping over other good faith arguments as if they were concrete unmoving testaments of your philosophy. If you want to make conceptual pieces that seem like artistic simulations of something that would exist in our world, You need to understand not just how those things work, but how they work in art or conceptual pieces, and if that fails, communicating what ideas you were trying to put forth like I explained in the prior paragraph.


To top it off he's accused me of using MS Paint for my work, as though that was supposed to hurt me the most. First off as I mentioned before, I don't use MS Paint. I use Sketchup and Photoshop...


Oh, Cool, My bad. You still should start with pen and paper - Scanning the pencil sketches into photoshop and other programs is a good trick you can use!


Second off, why do people knock MS Paint as the worst program. Comic Sans I get, but if one had the right equipment like one of those electric pen and pad things that artists use to draw, color and detail their work, even MS Paint could create Masterpieces.


Amen to that. It's just that, Again, in the case of Comic Sans, Ubiquity leads to Saturation, Saturation leads to Disillusionment, Disillusionment leads to Stigma, Stigma leads to Stereotyping.


When I told him off and blocked him, he proceeded to make a shit post of my work. With one of his goons flat out copying my sword for a parody picture. Which considering that with the exception of fanworks, I sell each an every piece of Art I make, so what they did was not only rude, but it's plagiarism.


Plagiarism doesn't exactly work like that. I find it funny that you were the one to warrant Skoops to make a parodying shitpost of you, It isn't exactly a prideful manner in which you got into his head rent-free, but it has humor nonetheless.


I apologize for ranting on. I know the difference between Critics and Assholes and that guy reeks.


And now that I'm done responding to quoting, Now comes a little bit more playing devil's advocate.


Note that both Skoops and Temp88 are either longtime users with longstanding reputations on this site and/or proven expertise, Sometimes that can warrant arrogance, but some arrogance is deserved when you're experienced enough and well proven in any field. In the case of Temp88 especially, Who hasn't interacted inside this very thread but was the one who made the parody image involving your sword, When he said he was speculating off of your behaviors that you might have been neurodivergent, he's more than likely had experience with neurodivergent people on the internet, not just NG, so he has a right to speculate a reason for your behaviors, even if it's a tiny bit rude, but it's probable that he's seen a recurring pattern with you. Personal experience led him to correctly guess you were on the spectrum. That's out of your control. At the very least, I think Temp88's trying to be a little more courteous towards you, and you also kinda sparked a discussion about hybrid weapons, so, take that for what you will.


Combocast :

Panacea - All Negative Statuses removed!

Prismatic Aurora Blast LV3 - Critical Weakness, Quadruple Damage! The Enemy has been Defeated!

BBS Signature

Response to Dragon's Mouth Sword 2021-04-07 17:41:06


@Desert Sage. First of all sorry if I had to scrap what I am currently replying too. The character limit frustrates me a little and I have no idea how you did those quotes the way you did.


In terms of the first paragraph. I agree with art being subjective, I myself am an amateur reviewer and much like most critiquing my work, I often put out my interpretation of it. However as both someone who makes work and critiques work I often feel the need to draw a line somewhere. While I believe that patrons have the right to interpret my work how they wish, I also feel that some people don't know the difference between interpretation (opinion based) and strict canon (Fact based). I feel especially motivated to do so after hearing what one of my favourite authors S.E. Hinton went through the past decade over her own work.


In terms of the second paragraph. I do not hate you for saying that, but at the same time it didn't feel like that to me. Sounds like a fixation I know, but he dismissed me before he even remotely decided to hear me out and I do not trust anyone that does that. Even if their work is good. Hell when I was getting into it with him I've mentioned many times that his work is good. It's the one thing about him I didn't insult. In terms of my theme. This sword was meant to be the first of many things. My plan was to draw out what I've had in mind. Weapons, Armor, things like that. Just the over all looks of them first. Then if people were interested and I mean really interested in wondering how it would work, that was when I get into the technicals. For example. My sword. Sooner or later I will start drawing out the inner workings. Mainly how the handle would work. But the idea being that they are cool weapons, that could be built in real life. My inspiration on that one is George Miller. Every single car his crew designed for the Mad Max Movies, was meant to per his instruction, work in a real life apocalypse scenario. Even the most complex stuff like the War Rig and Immortan Joe's car was down to the last detail.


In terms of your advice. It's not that I don't wish to do that, I have done pen and paper before. But at the same time I have none of the physical equipment needed yet. With that said I base my art and my music on advice from probably one of the most legendary sources. Ralph Bakshi. When I first started out, I was watching a video he did, where he was talking to a group of aspiring cartoonists. He mentioned that if you had something as simple as a computer at home, then there's your studio. He was mostly referring to animation, but I figured it could apply to all other forms of art. I use sketchup because it allows me to at the very least get the shapes I need and Photoshop helps me make it pop more. I'm especially fond of their plastic wrap filter because if you do it right, you can make anything look more "organic" for lack of a better word. For example. My second entry to that Love contest, it was a heart that went through wear and tear after being subjected to some love songs like "Love Stinks." I drew lines out in order to give it a vein appearance and I was using plastic wrap. It was a cartoon style heart, but I was using that to make it look kinda organic. As a result, by sheer accident, I saw some of the lines get erased and replaced with bulges in their shape. Making it look like there were vessels underneath. I kept it in there. In the case of the sword it was mostly to give it more of a metallic appearance.


In terms of MS Paint. Only times I've ever used it were mostly fooling around or free association. You know where your mouse is your pencil and you write or draw the first thing that comes to mind. I understand why people see it as an insult, but the fact that he couldn't tell the difference between MS Paint and Sketchup kinda makes me question his credibility. I don't expect all good artists to know the difference, but at the same time saying it outloud. Assuming too much on it? Kinda comes across as dumb to me.


In terms of plagarism. Can't really find another way to say it. Regardless of how you may slice it, Template88 used my work without so much as even asking me to include it. Granted I would have said "No." If he did, but at the same time, that's how they see me as an artist. So low, that they don't care if they steal from me, because fuck me. That being said, when you put it that way, I take it as a badge of honour. (One I might make one day.) Though he didn't come across as someone I gotten too. Trust me, he's not the first person I live rent free in their heads and most of them are often reduced to primal screaming. Sometimes I don't even have to do anything. One person got me so mad that I gave them the silent treatment. Lasted 6 hours, which the guy tried almost everything to get me to talk, while going absolutely bonkers. I only stopped because the insanity made me burst out laughing.


n terms of your last paragraph. I'm well aware of how long they've been users for. The first thing I did before I remotely even went at Skoops, was look him up. See what I'm up against. It's how I know he went at someone else. It's the arrogance that pisses me off the most about them. That and them trying to close minds. I saw what he said about free drawing and I am not impressed. It's why I compared him to Carl Hill in the first place. I was practically tempted to go as far as showing a gif of Herbert West I breaking a pencil to prove my point. In terms of Template88's assumption, I still find that insulting. On one hand, they correctly guessed that I am autistic. On the other hand, the word Autism has been used in many places on the net to insult people and that's ticked me off a lot. The worst of it came when that Sandy Hook thing happened. Because the shooter "May" have autism, every parent in North America that is anti-vax, believed that not only were the vaccines creating autistic kids, but creating serial killers as well. If Template was being remotely courteous they wouldn't be doing that drawing. Engraving "Boobs" on my sword was the worst of it, because now a lot of people would think I was some sort of INCEL. Still I am glad I was able to get them to talk about hybrid weapons, but at the same time it's nothing new. After all there was the Gunblade before.


CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.