00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

switizuwu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ESRB Headache

75,188 Views | 806 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:31:30

alright, lemme have a go. I was thinkin of a street sign sorta thing.

crosswalk go sign= all ages
Yield sign= Teen
Stop= Mature
Do Not Enter= Audult

I dont know, just an idea.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:31:36

I think the GU, TU, MU, AU system is fine. If not that, then perhaps GF, TF, MF, AF, as suggested earlier (To whoever suggested it, sorry, I didn't see your name).

- Skye

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:32:03

Tom, why not just rip off the terror alert scale and see if you get an email from Bush or something lol

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:33:45

At 7/7/04 11:42 PM, night_raider wrote: The idea of the tank got me thinking of warnings like the ones they use for hazardous material.

S= safe (color green, and maybe have a thumbs up)
W= warning (color yellow, and show some sort of warning symbol)
D= danger (color orange, have something like fire)
LT= life threatening (have the skull and crossbones)

What you had said sounded better at first to me. You could have the NG tank with different colours and backgrounds (Green is friendly to everyone and could have a little neighborhood behind the tank. Yellow is like teen and behind the tank is a dirty city, Orange is like Mature and woulkd have a battle zone, and Red would be like AO and would have an atomic explosion in the background. Or if the backgrounds are to much colour coding works just as well). Thanks for the tank idea though.

Examples for colour coding enclosed below:

ESRB Headache

BBS Signature

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:34:39

At 7/8/04 12:27 AM, Jimong5 wrote: Those might catch some flak too.
http://www.tvguidelines.org/ratings.asp

Oh, I didn't notice that. I'm sorry. Nevermind about that then.
Try this:

YP = Young Patrons
GP = General Patrons
MP = Mature Patrons
AP = Adult Patrons

Cheers and goodnight mates.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:38:52

nah man, cuz if ur dads in the room when ur surfin ng or something u wanna know if ur about to open a stick figure going happy happy, or some hard core hentai

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:39:16

At 7/8/04 12:33 AM, AKA_Ben wrote:
At 7/7/04 11:42 PM, night_raider wrote: stuff

Glad to hear you like it, but the whole exploding town thing might be going a little too far for a simple warning sign. Assuming the new warning system takes up the same space as the previous ones esrb now wants us to get rid of, It might not be easy to fit an entire dirty city, and behind a tank too!

I had aother idea, adding on the the hand movement idea, instead, green has a thumbs up, yellow has a midway thumb, orange had a thumb thats down, and red has just bone (in any direction).

Trying to keep it simple.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:39:57

How bout a smiley system?

A normal, wal-mart type of smile would be General Audiences
A smilely with its eyebrows up and a sort of frown would be Teen
Same as above except sweat breaking out could be Mature
Skull for Adults only

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:40:34

Perhaps something that relates to Newgrounds like tanks, for example:

YT: Young Tankers
GT: General Tankers
MT: Mature Tankers
AT: Adult Tankers

or maybe:

YN: Young NGers
GN: General NGers
MN: Mature NGers
AN: Adult NGers

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:41:09

i like this one

HD - Has Diaper
HP - Has Pubes
HS - Has Sex
HK - Has Kids

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:43:36

^^^BEST IDEA^^^

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:44:22

No here on Newgrounds is old enough to view movies past the E rating, so make it...

NG - Newgrounds User

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:44:59

At 7/8/04 12:39 AM, night_raider wrote:
At 7/7/04 11:42 PM, night_raider wrote: stuff
Glad to hear you like it, but the whole exploding town thing might be going a little too far for a simple warning sign. Assuming the new warning system takes up the same space as the previous ones esrb now wants us to get rid of, It might not be easy to fit an entire dirty city, and behind a tank too!

Thats also why I suggested just the colours because, yeah, that is alot of stuff to pack into an 80X80 square.

I had aother idea, adding on the the hand movement idea, instead, green has a thumbs up, yellow has a midway thumb, orange had a thumb thats down, and red has just bone (in any direction).

The only problem I see with that is that to some people you just don't know about things it may look like that movie is being put down otherwise you may have somthing there.

Amen to that.

BBS Signature

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:45:56

CA - Common Audience
RA - Rational Audience
EA - Elder Audience
ET - Etreme Themes

Or just C, R, E and ET...

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:46:21

K-This submission is suitable for all ages

NY14-Not recommended for youth under 14

NY16-For mature users

AA-Adult users

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:46:51

Maybe a numeric scale of 1 - 4 with 1=GU and 4=AU

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:47:39

The color coded tank logo sounds like a good idea to me. Its such bullshit that they can actually own the rights to a word chirst... Tom you should e-mail them that one letter that some write cant remember there name... I'm going to go copy right word 'the' now people will have to pay me every time they wont to use the word!

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:49:48

At 7/8/04 12:44 AM, AKA_Ben wrote:
At 7/8/04 12:39 AM, night_raider wrote:
At 7/7/04 11:42 PM, night_raider wrote:
The only problem I see with that is that to some people you just don't know about things it may look like that movie is being put down otherwise you may have somthing there.

Amen to that.

Well, If people think that the movie is beign put down, then Newgrounds is officially infested with retards. I highly doubt someone would be that slow. Although, it wouldn't surprise me.

To those who are suggesting sets of words and nothing more, cmon! Be a little more inventive, if this site is really breaking new grounds, then we shouldnt be doing stuff that is similar to what other organisations are doing!

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:50:04

Considering half of the users cannot read and understand the rules, then they will most likely not read the ratings. Thus AKA_Ben's colour idea is a good choice.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:50:45

COPYRIGHT© YONICKDUDE© 2004©

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:52:40

At 7/8/04 12:46 AM, domoarigatokun wrote: K-This submission is suitable for all ages

Catch: "K" was once an ESRB rating. There also was "KA"

How about just using numbers to represent age groups?

i.e.

4+ -- Ok for everyone
13+ -- PG-13
18+ -- Adult
21+ -- Extreme Content

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:52:40

This doesn't make sense to me. The ESRB have made these classifications to advise people of the contents of a piece of media, and to protect people who don't want to be exposed to inappropriate stuff, right? So why should they get they get their tits in a twist when a website shares these concerns and implements a system bearing similarities? Why should consumers have to adapt to a new system just because a couple of letters shoved together that have been shown before are on a website? Copyright laws my ass. Next they'll be telling us we need to slap ratings on the hentai ads.

If it's going to be changed though, I prefered the Diaper, Pubes, Sex system over the more formal one. Fits the whole atmosphere of NG.

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI

BBS Signature

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:54:13

Sounds like a lawyer over at the ESRB didn't get any sex last night!

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:54:37

I think Newgrounds should keep it's rating system. So what if the ESRB gets ticked off. If they try to sue or take this issue to court they'll probably lose. Plus it'll be the perfect opportunty to ruin the ESRB's reputation and teach them to not be so uptight. All it would take to ruin their reputation would be to make sure that if they take this trademark or copyright issue to court that it gets as much publicity as possible and that all of it makes them look really bad.

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:57:49

At 7/8/04 12:54 AM, Paladin_X wrote: I think Newgrounds should keep it's rating system. So what if the ESRB gets ticked off. If they try to sue or take this issue to court they'll probably lose. Plus it'll be the perfect opportunty to ruin the ESRB's reputation and teach them to not be so uptight. All it would take to ruin their reputation would be to make sure that if they take this trademark or copyright issue to court that it gets as much publicity as possible and that all of it makes them look really bad.

that shit would get ppl on ngs! the wrong ppl!! NOO85 4hhhhhh. it would be highly publicized and would get bad ppl on ng.!!!! N00

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:58:43

That has to be the most pathetic thing i have ever heard. I like the second one, its funny and newgroudns style. THe 1st isnt that bad either. I dont really care what you use. God dam rich bastards and thier gay companies

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:59:32

At 7/8/04 12:52 AM, UGuardian wrote:
At 7/8/04 12:46 AM, domoarigatokun wrote: K-This submission is suitable for all ages
Catch: "K" was once an ESRB rating. There also was "KA"

How about just using numbers to represent age groups?

i.e.

4+ -- Ok for everyone
13+ -- PG-13
18+ -- Adult
21+ -- Extreme Content

SA-Suitable to all ages

13+-teenage users

16+-Recommend for older teens

18+-Adult submission may contain extream content

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 00:59:46

At 7/8/04 12:44 AM, CrayonParade wrote: No here on Newgrounds is old enough to view movies past the E rating, so make it...

NG - Newgrounds User

Actually, it should be like this:

NG - Newgrounds User
RR - Recon_Rebel

)

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 01:01:36

I bet another corporation has copyrights on number ratings. I think colours or something to relate to the site is most effective. I doubt people have copyrighted colours. haha.

Response to ESRB Headache 2004-07-08 01:01:57

Also, how exactly do you having similar rating effect thier business at all? (Other than theoretical-never-happen-in-real-life-bullshit situations.)