00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you Guys think I did on this?

409 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Would appreciate some feedback. I'm Suprised how well this turned out.

iu_246650_8490431.jpg

BZ

Not bad! Glad you're happy with it. Consider this one done, and let's talk about what you can do on your next piece.

I think incorporating canvas-flipping into your workflow will help you a lot in terms of spotting little balance and symmetry issues. I would also recommend a less noisy background, especially if it's gonna be a formless void of a background. For color, let's see if you can use super saturated color more sparingly. Use it for emphasis rather than have all the boldness fight itself for attention.

Dumb side note, but if you name a character Scarlet, you may need to make it clear why they don't have much red in their actual design. They have the tie, but it seems like that formless void and the outline is where most of the red is.

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-24 01:39:56

I quite like this.

Personally I would soften up a few things

changes to eye, nose(position), mouth, chin, neck, boob, hip and glowed fist.

but that is mostly personal preferences

iu_247135_8016576.png

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-24 04:03:48

At 2/23/21 07:19 PM, Skoops wrote: Not bad! Glad you're happy with it. Consider this one done, and let's talk about what you can do on your next piece.

I think incorporating canvas-flipping into your workflow will help you a lot in terms of spotting little balance and symmetry issues. I would also recommend a less noisy background, especially if it's gonna be a formless void of a background. For color, let's see if you can use super saturated color more sparingly. Use it for emphasis rather than have all the boldness fight itself for attention.

Dumb side note, but if you name a character Scarlet, you may need to make it clear why they don't have much red in their actual design. They have the tie, but it seems like that formless void and the outline is where most of the red is.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to keep experimenting with her design, I'm thinking I should have made some color changes too.

BZ

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-24 04:08:36

At 2/24/21 01:39 AM, PerKGrok wrote: I quite like this.
Personally I would soften up a few things
changes to eye, nose(position), mouth, chin, neck, boob, hip and glowed fist.
but that is mostly personal preferences

Thank you for the feedback! I'm trying to do new things in every piece I make, I'll keep that in mind.

BZ

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-24 12:35:33

I would make her facial features a bit more feminine. It's okay that she looks tough, but people should know she's female just by looking at her (I actually didn't know until you said so, sorry).

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-26 04:54:07

At 2/24/21 12:35 PM, MikhailKaminsky wrote: I would make her facial features a bit more feminine. It's okay that she looks tough, but people should know she's female just by looking at her (I actually didn't know until you said so, sorry).

Thanks for the feedback! That's actually kind of the point so I'm glad that worked. Before each fight, she takes off her jacket revealing she's a woman and that she has tattoos.

BZ

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-26 06:28:47

At 2/23/21 06:29 AM, Eddy5Star wrote: Would appreciate some feedback. I'm Suprised how well this turned out.

Is not perfect but it looks fine, good job

BBS Signature

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-26 07:52:01

I probably won't have too many valuable suggestions on improvements, but I do like a lot about this.

Honestly, the shading is the most catchy part to me, especially for the pants. It looks pretty dirty (not in a bad way) and gritty, which gives her that cool, badass look. She looks masculine, which I see you've mentioned is the point, which is good because being able to convey what you want is a great ability to have. I'd give her slightly broader shoulders, personally, solely to emphasize that masculine look, but that's just a suggestion. Use it or not, you got the point across and she looks great.

Her design doesn't speak to me for the most part, honestly. But that, you can ignore - I just don't feel much when I see suits. The jacket being open like this sure is a cool touch, though, and the pants seem a little more than your typical rich guy rags, so if you wanna experiment with how the suit looks, mmm, you could make something pretty freaking unique. Not going to lie, though, this suit does give off some Yakuza vibes, which is very fitting... oh, as for everything else, I have a question: why does she have a metal hand / arm? Just curious.

every time i look at a post signature I'm reminded I'm on a forum

BBS Signature

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-26 14:58:40

At 2/23/21 06:29 AM, Eddy5Star wrote: Would appreciate some feedback. I'm Suprised how well this turned out.

Black coat/shirt, Navy trousers and brown shoes. Honey, that is a major fashion faux pas. Pick one of the three, they all fulfil the same role in fashion; and if this is a stylish character, they would never make such a mistake in their outerwear. Other than that, gonna echo the issues another user has with the background, all around good advice from the other replies.

At 2/26/21 02:58 PM, SourCherryJack wrote:
Black coat/shirt, Navy trousers and brown shoes. Honey, that is a major fashion faux pas. Pick one of the three, they all fulfil the same role in fashion; and if this is a stylish character, they would never make such a mistake in their outerwear.

I got a chuckle out of this, but it's true, both for fashion and design in general. Generally, Brown is warm, blue is cold, black is neutral, and so getting all three to pair well is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-27 10:36:33

yakuza + mgs = this

woah look at me i'm on newground man

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-28 19:01:34

At 2/27/21 04:25 PM, GlowRow wrote:
It’s pretty good but try fixing a little bit on the face, it looks like she got messed up. I still like it though.
Good luck!

I'll Keep that in mind. Thank you.

BZ

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-28 19:10:57

At 2/26/21 07:52 AM, AvionAris wrote: I probably won't have too many valuable suggestions on improvements, but I do like a lot about this.

Honestly, the shading is the most catchy part to me, especially for the pants. It looks pretty dirty (not in a bad way) and gritty, which gives her that cool, badass look. She looks masculine, which I see you've mentioned is the point, which is good because being able to convey what you want is a great ability to have. I'd give her slightly broader shoulders, personally, solely to emphasize that masculine look, but that's just a suggestion. Use it or not, you got the point across and she looks great.

Her design doesn't speak to me for the most part, honestly. But that, you can ignore - I just don't feel much when I see suits. The jacket being open like this sure is a cool touch, though, and the pants seem a little more than your typical rich guy rags, so if you wanna experiment with how the suit looks, mmm, you could make something pretty freaking unique. Not going to lie, though, this suit does give off some Yakuza vibes, which is very fitting... oh, as for everything else, I have a question: why does she have a metal hand / arm? Just curious.

Yeah, I still got a lot of work to do to develop her. It's my first time drawing her and I'm definitely going to make some changes. I'm glad I'm getting all this feedback too lol. I Definitely plan on making use of a lot of the advice I got from all this.

As for her hand, my Freind was Vague about it saying it was a fight. Next time I draw her i'll Likely Expand on that.

(Also the red outline and background is just a stylistic thing, Not actually a part of her.)

BZ

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-02-28 21:00:20

I’m wandering over from general. I have no artistic taste at all, but I would add a background to complete the image.

hello

Response to How do you Guys think I did on this? 2021-03-01 08:57:38

It's cool!