00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work

276 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

iu_244787_8436322.jpgiu_244788_8436322.jpg

what do you think of these pictures i made?

A failing artist with a discord account. my discord account.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-20 14:47:12

I can see your imagination in these. A problem new artists have is they don't practice and plan out their art before they begin, which I can tell is the issue here. You should spend time just drawing characters and things over and over until you develop skill and technique. Then when you think your ready to tackle an actually piece. sketch out what you want before starting, examine it, find issues and fix them. And once you are happy with your blueprint, apply the skills you've learned. And most importantly! DONT RUSH! Art takes time, lots of time, if you pace yourself in a comfortable way, you'll make something great! Just keep practicing, and don't give up. You'll get there someday.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 01:13:43

These have the telltale signs of being made with a mouse. That's fine if you just want to have fun, but it makes critiques difficult since the process isn't something where training or practice will get you very far.

My advice is to get a sketchbook and start watching some basic drawing tutorials for character design, if that's what you're into. Don't start with digital until you have a drawing tablet.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 10:02:08

i just wish i had an animation tablet now, im getting one for my birthday in may. (day not included)

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 12:02:08

You don't need a tablet to make art. I made this with a mouse. I've done all of my 3D art, sprite art and vector art with a mouse. You don't need a tablet to be better than this, and getting a tablet isn't going to make you a better artist.

You don't even look like you're trying, to be honest. You've got line tool stick figures. Try trying. You might like it. Download a Chris Hart book or something.

One thing I'll give you is that you do seem to have a good grasp of color theory already. That's something that some people struggle with forever, so at least you've got that down already.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 12:53:31

At 2/21/21 12:02 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: You don't even look like you're trying, to be honest. You've got line tool stick figures. Try trying. You might like it. Download a Chris Hart book or something.

Ace, you're saying it as though stick figures aren't enough to make a good piece of art. Many people have been able to make stick figures work, such as xkcd, cyanide and happiness, Matchstick men; heck, a lot of early Newgrounds stuff was stickmen. So just because they are stick figure-esque, does not mean a lack of trying or effort.

As for the art, I agree with MCarbiter and Skoops; you just need to practice, but you have the imagination and energy for drawing, which is great to have.

Squid pro quo. Tits for tat.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 13:46:21

Ace, I take that as kind of rude when you said that i didn't "try". I did try. The stick figure took me 4 failed drawings with my mouse and I feel that you should've remembered: Would you say this to me in person?

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 14:55:09

At 2/21/21 12:53 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Ace, you're saying it as though stick figures aren't enough to make a good piece of art. Many people have been able to make stick figures work, such as xkcd, cyanide and happiness, Matchstick men; heck, a lot of early Newgrounds stuff was stickmen. So just because they are stick figure-esque, does not mean a lack of trying or effort.

That's a false equivalency and you know it. Those comics and animations work because the writing is good. They use stick figures because the artwork is irrelevant. Those things are "art" in the broader sense, but they are not Art Portal material.

At 2/21/21 01:46 PM, rocknight1991 wrote: Ace, I take that as kind of rude when you said that i didn't "try". I did try. The stick figure took me 4 failed drawings with my mouse and I feel that you should've remembered: Would you say this to me in person?

I would. I'm a blunt person, I'm more blunt when I'm writing. What's rude to you and frankly insulting to artists in general is a bunch of fake nice talk about your artwork when we all know it's a long way off from Art Portal quality. When I say "try" I mean try to actually learn art. Have you looked up figure drawing? Have you drawn still-life? Have you drawn gestures? Have you made character reference sheets? Have you done compositional analysis? Have you done the basic research to know what those things are? Did you look at the Art Portal and think that line-tool stick figures would fit right in?

And listen, I'm not trying to discourage you. I want you to do all those things and be a great artist. But you have a lot of work ahead of you, and I'm not the kind of guy who's going to tell you you're on the right track when you definitely aren't.

At 2/21/21 02:55 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: That's a false equivalency and you know it. Those comics and animations work because the writing is good. They use stick figures because the artwork is irrelevant. Those things are "art" in the broader sense, but they are not Art Portal material.

I suppose. I just wanted to give encouragement by giving them examples of what they could do with the skill that they are at.

Also, didn't realise you got to decide what is and isn't portal material.

At 2/21/21 01:46 PM, rocknight1991 wrote:
I would. I'm a blunt person, I'm more blunt when I'm writing. What's rude to you and frankly insulting to artists in general is a bunch of fake nice talk about your artwork when we all know it's a long way off from Art Portal quality. When I say "try" I mean try to actually learn art. Have you looked up figure drawing? Have you drawn still-life? Have you drawn gestures? Have you made character reference sheets? Have you done compositional analysis? Have you done the basic research to know what those things are? Did you look at the Art Portal and think that line-tool stick figures would fit right in?

And listen, I'm not trying to discourage you. I want you to do all those things and be a great artist. But you have a lot of work ahead of you, and I'm not the kind of guy who's going to tell you you're on the right track when you definitely aren't.

By being blunt you are being discouraging. Maybe you should 'try' being less blunt. You can say the same things in much nicer language.

Your advice is mostly correct, but you gotta remember not everyone is on the same skill level as you. It's easy to just expel a bunch of advice, but it's not very useful (in fact it's detrimental since it's overwhelming) unless you give it in a constructive way so that a beginner might be able to use it. I'm not saying give them necesserily step-by-step instructions, but just saying 'try compositional analysis' doesn't help.

BBS Signature

At 2/21/21 02:55 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:

it doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong at this point,if you're completely aware that the guy has such a long way to go you,then you should know that just shoving all of that info all at once will not only not help,but completely discourage anyone who's starting out,people need to atleast get a grip on how they like doing art before they try to approach the fundamentals,and im pretty sure a good portion of artists didn't start ANY of what you've mentioned by the time they first started out. other then that you're making it sound like you've got a bone to pick with him

for the OP,mcarbiter said it best,the imagination and will is there,but unfortunately this does look like you're starting out,give yourself time to draw a bit more first,get yourself acostumed to art

At 2/21/21 12:02 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: You don't need a tablet to make art. I made this with a mouse. I've done all of my 3D art, sprite art and vector art with a mouse. You don't need a tablet to be better than this, and getting a tablet isn't going to make you a better artist.

You don't even look like you're trying, to be honest. You've got line tool stick figures. Try trying. You might like it. Download a Chris Hart book or something.

One thing I'll give you is that you do seem to have a good grasp of color theory already. That's something that some people struggle with forever, so at least you've got that down already.

.... I popped open the portal and this if one of the first things I come across. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/781831 I think you are over selling the skill level it takes to get into the portal. I mean some are pretty good....but I thought it really just takes some one scouting you. I'm not arguing that the OP needs significantly more practice but when I look at the portal...yeah his stuff seems like it would fit in just fine with some of the stuff I see in the portal.

https://www.patreon.com/TheOtherSider

At 2/21/21 04:19 PM, TheOtherSider wrote:
At 2/21/21 12:02 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote: You don't need a tablet to make art. I made this with a mouse. I've done all of my 3D art, sprite art and vector art with a mouse. You don't need a tablet to be better than this, and getting a tablet isn't going to make you a better artist.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 16:52:13

how do i report a user?

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 16:56:41

Don't worry, I blocked Archie from the forums. I don't want this to turn into a flamewar.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 17:02:32

At 2/20/21 11:19 AM, rocknight1991 wrote:
what do you think of these pictures i made?

iu_245575_8035133.jpg

Let's see, you have a ton of imagination and ambition kid. That what i see in your drawings. You have a ton of things you want to express in the way you put your characters in the scenario. The colors have also a good factor on it. like the first drawing with the character walking between a thunderstorm.

It seems that you're new to it, so, let me give you some advices from the good hornet herself ^v^

1. Practice perspective: There's a ton of videos about geometry and how to draw in the variety of perspectives you can afford to improve your way how is the drawing is going to look.
  2. Strokes: Something that you need to improve is the way you made the strokes. it needs a really hard improvement, and this is a really, REALLY difficult task to do, cause you need to know anatomy on it. but the first thing you can do, is see the variety of lines you can do, so your hand can be used to valorize your entire sketches. that's will improve the way your sketch in it will make easy to make geometry forms and even make easy curves.
  3. Theory of Color: If you really want to make the drawing express a message, you need to know how is the usage of color in their saturations and variety. they have their own psicology, so you can have a lot to play on it ^^
  4. Anatomy: Simple, perspective and geometry. the trick is how the composition is going to look between how's the transformation you're going to do between the idea and the geometry of the character or scenario you want to put on it.

iu_245574_8035133.jpg

That's all what i can say to improve your career. you have a lot to learn, but as usual, you can follow this advices if you like, this is all what i experienced in my time drawing, so i hope this advices can be helpful. But hey, never, EVER, give up, cause i see that you want really to improve you career.

I wish you tons of luck, kiddo! Our community will support you a lot ^^

We do comics, If you don't know!

Check it out on Tapastic, and for spanish, check it on Faneo! :3

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 17:05:40

Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 17:38:06

At 2/21/21 04:19 PM, TheOtherSider wrote: .... I popped open the portal and this if one of the first things I come across. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/781831 I think you are over selling the skill level it takes to get into the portal.

I would point out that's under judgement and probably going to get blammed, or downvoted into oblivion. Also animation is different. Animation can have merit beyond drawing ability. A drawing can't.

At 2/21/21 03:16 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Also, didn't realise you got to decide what is and isn't portal material.

Yeah, I do, we all do. There's a little voting mechanic underneath the drawing, and when I see drawings like this in the portal, I absolutely blam the shit out of them, because they decrease the value of our art community as a whole. I want the world to say, "oh man, New Grounds? great art over there!" not "pfft, New Grounds? they're just a bunch of kindergarten scribbles"

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 18:02:25

At 2/21/21 05:38 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
At 2/21/21 04:19 PM, TheOtherSider wrote: .... I popped open the portal and this if one of the first things I come across. https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/781831 I think you are over selling the skill level it takes to get into the portal.

Animation can have merit beyond drawing ability. A drawing can't.

I wouldn't say that is true, picasso and Van gogh are considered master artist and while I agree their color use is ok their actual technical skill is quite poor and yet their art is valued well beyond merit and technical skill. Thats not even me trying to be an edge lord. there have been some serious debates if van gogh is really considered a decent painter or is he wildly over rated I mean iu_245636_8440539.jpg If any one were to paint this today they would get a shrug maybe a few thousand likes on instagram but I doubt it would be worth multiple millions of dollars..... actually looking at this almost makes my eyes hurt.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 18:59:26

At 2/21/21 06:02 PM, TheOtherSider wrote:

:...
:actually looking at this almost makes my eyes hurt.

I think you're actually making my point, though. The appeal of Picasso and Van Gogh was that they were doing new things at the time, they're like the Model-T of artists, it's not that it's good, it's that it was a turning point in history. Their artwork has some interesting historical and technical nuance to them, but to most people that doesn't matter. There's no value to art besides what you see in it, and frankly, people who do treat that kind of art as superior bring down art in general. Nobody here was inspired to get into art because they saw something by Picasso, they get into art because they've seen the works of people like Toriyama or Hartman or Liefeld or Disney.

With Picasso specifically, he actually did no how to draw, or paint, really well, check out his early work sometime. He stopped doing realism in order to be edgy, and he became popular just because he was shaking things and doing something new.

And when I say a drawing can't be more than drawing ability, I don't mean like, an artist's ability to be "realistic", or something, I just mean everything that makes the drawing good has to be contained within the drawing. An animation can have plots and jokes and drama and so on, a drawing can be funny or moving, but its ability to convey that is much more limited.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-21 23:26:22

the colors are nice.

drawing with a mouse is possible. this person did, so did this person (who even left a link showing the process), and this one, and this other one...

but good luck finding tutorials or even advice on that (I tried), so if you are any good at paper drawing, consider getting a drawing tablet, like others said. it allows you to "import" muscle memmory from paper drawing and improve faster as a result. I'm not going to activelly promote it because that is the only concrete fact I know, since I'm still considering to buy one myself or convert my old galaxy S2 into an improvised drawing tablet until I do, but I bet it is too old for the software it would need.

but 1st things 1st: what image editor did you use? I didn't know stabilizers/brush smoothing were a thing (or at least what they did) untill PerKGrok told me about them, and they make a big difference with freehand mouse drawing, so it may be worth checking if yout image editor has one. knowing your image editor better can help you improve, be it by making better use of what it offers or by concluding that you need to move to new grounds (haha, haha, haha, what a lame (totally unintentional) pun). there are plenty of free options, I'm currently juggling with 5 or 6 of them X_x (too many, I should stick to 1)

my lack of avatar and (confidence for) uploads make my advice seem suspicious? fair enough, to back my claims up, I went ahead and and made (very) shoddy redraws of your scythe piece using paint.NET's line tool (left) and firealpaca's pen brush with stabilizer set to 30 (right), and as a bonus, an inverted "c" with stabilizer set to 30(left) and 0(right) between both redraws: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/draw/a441b7d67986412ddb9b0dee7e6fb413

if you use the same tools as I did, you'll get better results, because contrary to me, you'll be trying to make them look good (and my firealpaca version is outdated, my paint dot net is even more so) I didn't even try to fix anything, even forgot to clean some lines up. using different layers to draw the lines of different elements also helps.

sorry for the wall of text xP

At 2/21/21 05:38 PM, AcetheSuperVillain wrote:
I would point out that's under judgement and probably going to get blammed, or downvoted into oblivion. Also animation is different. Animation can have merit beyond drawing ability. A drawing can't.

What do you mean a drawing can't have merit beyond drawing ability? And animation can but drawings can't??? I'm sorry, but I haven't heard anyone ever say something like this before it really boggles my mind. How can something that is just a whole bunch of still drawings in sequence have merit beyond drawing ability when compared to just a single drawing? Have you never gone to an art museum in your life? Have you never talked to an artist before? In what world does a drawing not convey the artists message? Have you never tried to look at a piece of art beyond its outward appearance? Does the feeling and emotion that someone put into a drawing suddenly not count, or is not visible, just because it's not conventionally considered to have merit? I guess it doesn't matter what value people put on a piece of art if it's not drawn well. I guess it's not possible to attach subtext, message, motive, personal attachment, historical value, cultural value, or any other kind of value that can be attached to a drawing, just because it's not moving or doesn't have a voice.

And what of people that got inspired by artists before Disney, Hartman, Toriyama or Liefeld? And who are you to say what people are able to be inspired by? You are really dismissive about what people like to see. Just because you don't like it, or are unable to grasp anything more complex than what you see with your eyes like a child, doesn't mean nobody else can either. I mean by jove, did you really say nobody get inspired to get into art by Picasso? The great master of the 20th century? The artist who has his work seen by hundreds of thousands of people around the globe, perhaps even millions, every year? Geez louise the amount of hutzpah you have.

At 2/21/21 03:16 PM, FlikkiShassART wrote: Also, didn't realise you got to decide what is and isn't portal material.
Yeah, I do, we all do. There's a little voting mechanic underneath the drawing, and when I see drawings like this in the portal, I absolutely blam the shit out of them, because they decrease the value of our art community as a whole. I want the world to say, "oh man, New Grounds? great art over there!" not "pfft, New Grounds? they're just a bunch of kindergarten scribbles"

I think you're looking at it in the wrong way. Perhaps it's better if it's inclusive so people can say "Newgrounds? The place where ANYONE can post art, even a beginner like me?" Have you ever thought that maybe having a place where anyone can post their art and get better is overall better than gatekeeping? You are keeping out a whole bunch of people that might have good ideas or concepts and have a message worth hearing, yet might just need a little bit of motivation from exposure to practice. In my opinion, a confidence boost for those that have no confidence is better than a website. I care more about fostering talent than what others think of Newgrounds.

I also want to add from the Newgrounds review outline, firstly, under the 'Please DO NOT' section;

"Tell the author their content doesn't belong on Newgrounds. We will determine that."

In addition;

"When you're criticizing something and it's addressed specifically to the creator of that thing (meaning you expect them to read it), it's essential that what you're saying is firstly, useful and secondly, respectful.

What I mean by useful is that your criticism should cover what is wrong, how/why it's wrong and (ideally) how to fix it. "What is wrong" is self explanatory, you can generally spot something that puts you off in a drawing at a glance, however, posting anything along the lines of "wow, [thing] doesn't look right" or "that's not how [thing] works", "this would be better if you fixed [thing]", are useless to an artist on their own. Often times artists are able to spot problems in their own drawings without your help and if they didn't notice in the first place then there's even less of a chance that they'll be able to identify why that thing is wrong to be able to fix it.

This brings us to being respectful, which is admittedly not necessary, you can be rude while also giving valid criticism, but even though it might not be "necessary" it's still important. You have to keep in mind that anyone you're interacting with on-line is a person. When it comes to artists I get that it might be easy to forget that they're just people because followers tend to associate an artists name with their art rather than their personality and that can make them feel more like a brand or something along those lines but they are still just people.

This is important to remember because being rude has the same effect on them as it does with anyone else, even if what you're saying is 100% correct it's less likely that someone is going to internalize that information if the tone of your message is off putting from the start. You post criticism for the benefit of the person receiving it, not yourself."

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 07:16:55

Please calm down. I know that he should not say that my content doesn't belong on Newgrounds, and he should tell whats wrong and how to fix it instead of saying it doesn't belong there. I'm taking a snapshot.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 07:18:34

I used Autodesk Sketchbook, NOT Microsoft Paint.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 07:31:26

Also, I am a bit upset, but I have been looking up to Edd Gould as an inspiration. There's nothing wrong with liking the works of artists who died nearly a decade ago. The ones you mentioned died centuries ago, and many of Edd's starting stuff wasn't all Van Gogh quality, but I still like them. I'm still in the first stage of my NG art skills, and trust me in a few months, I will be better than the artworks I posted. Also, I don't mind if my art isn't in the Portal, I just make these because it's fun, relaxing, and it makes me happy. I originally came here to play the last Adobe Flash games in existence, and I posted one artwork from 2020. Now, it's a storage system for my new art. I'm constantly improving.

-rocknight1991

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 11:39:12

At 2/22/21 07:31 AM, rocknight1991 wrote: Also, I am a bit upset, but I have been looking up to Edd Gould as an inspiration. There's nothing wrong with liking the works of artists who died nearly a decade ago. The ones you mentioned died centuries ago, and many of Edd's starting stuff wasn't all Van Gogh quality, but I still like them. I'm still in the first stage of my NG art skills, and trust me in a few months, I will be better than the artworks I posted. Also, I don't mind if my art isn't in the Portal, I just make these because it's fun, relaxing, and it makes me happy. I originally came here to play the last Adobe Flash games in existence, and I posted one artwork from 2020. Now, it's a storage system for my new art. I'm constantly improving.
-rocknight1991

Sure, I totally get making art just for yourself because it's fun and relaxing. I've actually been having the problem that making art to sell to people is not at all fun or relaxing and it's weird to have that psychological rug pulled out from under me. I'm glad that you're committed to improvement. If you are striving for something like Eddsworld, I'd suggest trying to make a few little comics or animations as you are also working on artwork. I know it's natural to say to yourself you want to completely finish learning to draw before you start that extra step, but I tried that and found that comics and animation demand a bunch of extra skills that drawing alone did not prepare me for, and you never really finish learning to draw, write or animate. I'm definitely annoyed with myself for not trying it earlier in my life.

And I wouldn't be me if I didn't suggest trying 3D modeling. It's great for using a mouse and a million billion times easier to do animation. Even if you're not interesting in doing full 3D art like I do, a lot of artists use 3D tools to help with backgrounds and perspective and such, the new version of Blender has a suit of grease pen tools for putting 2D art into 3D scenes.

If you're looking for other sorts of inspiration, I'm a big fan of EGS, it's especially fun to see him go from where he started to where he is now. Here's how he started in 2002 next to where he is now in 2021:

iu_246093_3167862.jpg

Main site: https://www.egscomics.com/

First Comic: https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2002-01-21

First Story Arc: https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2002-01-28

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 11:49:30

At 2/22/21 07:18 AM, rocknight1991 wrote: I used Autodesk Sketchbook, NOT Microsoft Paint.

I never used this one, but I know it has a stabilizer somewhere (this will make the lines less shaky). Monika Zagrobelna uses that, so if nobody here gives you advice on Autodesk, try checking her blog out. though it seems the stabilizer may be just for tablets, but try checking the settings out. (this link on Monika's name talks about Autodesk)

there is also inkscape (a vector editor), but you shouldn't try using that one without someone to guide you through the 1st steps... it can be fun AFTER you get used to it, but not until then...

anyway, keep improving and have fun!

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 13:58:10

Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 14:01:20

Thing is, I'm planning to make art of the characters first, to remind me of the characters.

BBS Signature

At 2/22/21 02:01 PM, rocknight1991 wrote: Thing is, I'm planning to make art of the characters first, to remind me of the characters.

You should totally do some character reference sheets and turnarounds. If you're making characters that you want to draw over and over again, especially for a comic or animation, but definitely even if it's just a character you want to draw often, ref sheets and turnarounds are SUPER helpful.

This is a great example of a Character Reference Sheet:

iu_246394_3167862.png

You've got personal information, color palette is laid out, emotional range, costume changes. A lot of reference sheets will also do common props, like if it were a ref sheet for Link, he'd have his master sword, bow, bombs, etc, on there. Definitely google "character reference sheet" because there are a lot of ways to do it, you'll see some great ideas.

This is a turnaround:

iu_246395_3167862.jpg

I feel like this is self explanatory. Note the horizontal guide-lines which make up her various features. Tools like this help artists to maintain consistency. Measuring things out and getting your proportions right is really essential.

Response to Hello! SFW artist looking for critique in work 2021-02-22 21:03:00

Looks good

i like the whoa one