00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Uploading new version to Newgrounds - replace or create new?

190 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi, I'm going to upload a new improved version of 1 of my games later.

What's the best method?

1. Replace the existing game - But people who have played it already might not notice that it has changed.
  2. Upload as a new project (and delete the original) - It will be treated as a new project & show up in "recent" again, but I'll lose the views, scores & comments. Altho that might not be a bad thing as the score should reflect the new version.

My game LEWD MOD: DEMO - FULL GAME

At 2/17/21 04:25 AM, hhrichards wrote: Hi, I'm going to upload a new improved version of 1 of my games later.

What's the best method?

I've seen it both ways. You don't have to delete your old version either, like no one is going to be confused by there being "demo" and "updated" of the same game. A popular game like Friday Night Funkin' updates over itself every so often, but it'd be weird to have multiple versions or deleted versions of a front-paged 5m+ views game.

If you do want to update the file, you can always add a note in the description about what's changed. Like you said, though, it won't be exposed to any bigger of an audience than it is right now doing it that way.

If you replace it, only those you notify by yourself will know. The people who played it but moved on won't know. This is fine if your viewers are on a different platform (e.g. discord, patreon, etc.) and you funnel them to NG.

If you create a new one, then people will know about it from the Portal. In addition, it makes it more likely to receive awards because of the judging process. As bad as it sounds, fleshing out a game over time won't make it get the recognition it might deserve. This method is appropriate if there are enough differences between the two versions that people won't be confused about the two, or think that you're abusing the Portal/submission system. Examples where this is appropriate include sequels, massive overhauls (such that the old version becomes a "classic" version, etc.)

If you create a new one and delete the older one, then it's almost the same as creating a new one but the reviews of the people who played the older game will be deleted, in addition to the medals and other items. This is more of a nuclear option than the first two and really only done when the number of versions get out of hand.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Thanks, this is all great info!

At 2/17/21 04:25 AM, hhrichards wrote: Hi, I'm going to upload a new improved version of 1 of my games later.

What's the best method?

Well the best method is to preserve the old game and make a new one

Friday Night Funkin has 2 versions one of them is a GameJam/Prototype of the game that is still available on itch.io

Canabalt a game by Adam Atomic has 2 versions, The Original Flash version made in Flixel and the Complete Steam Version

If your new version is supposed to fix bugs so you only update the old game

Click the image

BBS Signature

Its more than just bug fixes, it's new chapters of content. The old chapters will remain as they are. But people who have already played won't know there are new chapters available unless I upload as a new game.

At 2/22/21 05:53 PM, hhrichards wrote:
Its more than just bug fixes, it's new chapters of content. The old chapters will remain as they are. But people who have already played won't know there are new chapters available unless I upload as a new game.

The people who already played likely won't know in either case unless they have a habit of frequenting the portal, for what it's worth. The numbers might be more, but the people would probably be different this time around. The only way to make sure that the people who played your game the first time around know about it being updated is if you make it explicit from the beginning, or promote alternative platforms like discord or patreon where you can notify them en masse.

BBS Signature

At 2/23/21 02:43 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 2/22/21 05:53 PM, hhrichards wrote: Its more than just bug fixes, it's new chapters of content. The old chapters will remain as they are. But people who have already played won't know there are new chapters available unless I upload as a new game.
The only way to make sure that the people who played your game the first time around know about it being updated is if you make it explicit from the beginning, or promote alternative platforms like discord or patreon where you can notify them en masse.

The NG-specific version is to ask them to follow you here. New content from the people you follow shows up in your feed, including game uploads as well as news posts.

At 2/23/21 11:36 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 2/22/21 05:53 PM, hhrichards wrote: Its more than just bug fixes, it's new chapters of content. The old chapters will remain as they are. But people who have already played won't know there are new chapters available unless I upload as a new game.
The only way to make sure that the people who played your game the first time around know about it being updated is if you make it explicit from the beginning, or promote alternative platforms like discord or patreon where you can notify them en masse.
The NG-specific version is to ask them to follow you here. New content from the people you follow shows up in your feed, including game uploads as well as news posts.

^

Right, I completely forgot about the fan/follow system because I don't get any notifications from it (I really only see new stuff when I deliberately check my feed, which is almost never), but this is the most "correct" answer here.

BBS Signature

At 2/24/21 12:04 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 2/23/21 11:36 PM, MSGhero wrote:
^
Right, I completely forgot about the fan/follow system because I don't get any notifications from it (I really only see new stuff when I deliberately check my feed, which is almost never), but this is the most "correct" answer here.

How to drown in 2 seconds

At 2/24/21 12:06 AM, lokidnb wrote:

Uh...you alright there?

BBS Signature

At 2/24/21 12:11 AM, Gimmick wrote:
Uh...you alright there?

no, I’m not, I’m doing horrible, I’ll get off my mind

At 2/24/21 12:16 AM, lokidnb wrote:
At 2/24/21 12:11 AM, Gimmick wrote:
Uh...you alright there?
no, I’m not, I’m doing horrible, I’ll get off my mind

If you're having a panic attack then it's worth trying this.

BBS Signature