00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

favorite vst plugins

875 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

favorite vst plugins 2021-01-29 23:26:47

i want to pick your brain. what are you favorite plugins? i guess it doesn't have to be a vst either.

i love the sound of raw synth especially of the bass variety so even though there's a lot of good synths out there my favorite is a simple square wave (i use 3xosc that comes with fl studio)

serum is nice too but i'm still figuring out how to use wavetables

// --------

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-01-30 17:14:26

It's not a synth per se but I'm really loving the Scheps Parallel Particles from Waves. Got it recently and it's doing some good shit for my drum buses.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-01-31 12:45:06 (edited 2021-01-31 12:46:10)

well for effects I love W1 Limiter because I can have it sounding fairly transparent while still being punchy, or I could make it sound super pumpy if I wanted. I also love Maximus it's probably my favorite multiband compressor. Wider is very valuable to me as well. DImension expander is really good though I haven't used it much lately. ReEQ is really good though it's only available as a JSFX plugin. Transpire is a great transient processor. The Calf suit is great whenever i'm using Ardour.

for synths it kinda depends on what i'm in the mood for and what i'm making, so for example if I were to come out of riddim dubstep retirement i'd probably opt for Sytrus, Vital, or Surge. Surge is a great general purpose synth though. ZynFusion is great as well, extremely powerful and versatile but SUPER underrated.

now if I'm using a DAW that lacks a good sampler or easy way to make drum patterns (any DAW with a meh MIDI and/or audio editing) I opt for either shortcircuit or Sitala. I also use Carla occasionally when appropriate.

edit: Purity is also a great ROMpler, and I occasionally use Synth1 and Albino3 (purely because of it's legacy)

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-01 21:20:23

SOLARPUNK - OUT NOW

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-13 21:55:23

Well sytrus easily tops the list. You might call me lame for using it but it's actually better than sylenth1 in my opinion. I also make all of my presets and sytrus works really well for me.

meh

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-14 04:35:50

At 2/13/21 09:55 PM, KENTEYL wrote: Well sytrus easily tops the list. You might call me lame for using it but it's actually better than sylenth1 in my opinion. I also make all of my presets and sytrus works really well for me.

^ Seconded.

I have seen friends using other DAWs telling me that even for them, Sytrus is a piece of black magic.

Between Sytrus, Flex, and a number of freebs, I'm sorted.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-14 12:34:20

I see some naming Sytrus. Pretty cool, but if we're talking synths, I like more NI Massive. However, haven't been using it for quite a while...

My favorite, ALWAYS used on projects has to be NI Kontakt.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-14 15:02:57

At 2/14/21 04:35 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 2/13/21 09:55 PM, KENTEYL wrote: Well sytrus easily tops the list. You might call me lame for using it but it's actually better than sylenth1 in my opinion. I also make all of my presets and sytrus works really well for me.
^ Seconded.

I have seen friends using other DAWs telling me that even for them, Sytrus is a piece of black magic.

Fun Fact: Sytrus can open DX7 Presets by going to the top-right drop down and going to 'Import SYSEX'

You can go to this site: http://www.dxsysex.com and then download entire libraries worth of patches through patch banks and run them in Sytrus. They're all FX-Dry, but there's probably a couple thousand to use once you've opened them up and explored them.

Have fun!

| LD-W - Multi-Genre Composer | Lich Is My Other/Old NG Account | FREE Audio Resources List For Composers - 2021 |

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-16 21:52:58

Synth1, ZynAddSubFX, FireBird, Vital.

I don't really like using Vital because it feels too, I dunno, easy

But it's amazing.

I mostly only use ZynAddSubFX for everything these days though, it's really versatile.

OTT and LoudMax are also must-haves

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-19 09:04:25

I have many favorites, but these are my current favorites.

Massive, Serum, FLEX, Helm, iZotope Iris 2, Kontakt, Reaktor 6, LABS, Addictive Keys, Eclipsis.

Fx/Other: Fresh Air, Wider, Kickstart, KSHMR Essentials Kick, DAW Cassette, MEqualizer (all of their stuff is pretty solid), iZotope Vinyl, FIN-MICRO, Supercharger, Solid Bus Comp, Raum, Phasis, PanCake2, Ambience, OTT, Maximus, Fruity Parametric EQ 2, Fruity Limiter, Soundgoodizer (The holy grail of all FL studio noobs)

PM me if you need custom music.

-Noob Music-

ProjectSoary's Audio (newgrounds.com)

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-19 09:21:26

At 2/14/21 03:02 PM, LD-W wrote:
At 2/14/21 04:35 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
^ Seconded.

Fun Fact: Sytrus can open DX7 Presets by going to the top-right drop down and going to 'Import SYSEX'
You can go to this site: http://www.dxsysex.com and then download entire libraries worth of patches through patch banks and run them in Sytrus. They're all FX-Dry, but there's probably a couple thousand to use once you've opened them up and explored them.

Have fun!

Damn! I didn't even know. It's like you just opened up a whole new world. I feel like I just got red pilled.

PM me if you need custom music.

-Noob Music-

ProjectSoary's Audio (newgrounds.com)

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-21 20:41:11

Actually that huge ‘in the mix’ youtube tutorial guy in a video says sytrus us a great synth that gives you a ton of control over the sound so not weird at all.

i remember liking some izotope ones. I went vst crazy and went too far and it slowed my daw down so i uninstalled all the extras. Someday i’ll get better at technical stuff like that

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-21 20:44:13

Klanghelm SDRR2 and MJUC are my top favorite VST effects right now.

As for VSTi, I use Xpand!2 and Synapse Legend in nearly all of my projects now.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-22 04:46:23

At 2/19/21 09:04 AM, ProjectSoary wrote: I have many favorites, but these are my current favorites.

Massive, Serum, FLEX, Helm, iZotope Iris 2, Kontakt, Reaktor 6, LABS, Addictive Keys, Eclipsis.

Fx/Other: Fresh Air, Wider, Kickstart, KSHMR Essentials Kick, DAW Cassette, MEqualizer (all of their stuff is pretty solid), iZotope Vinyl, FIN-MICRO, Supercharger, Solid Bus Comp, Raum, Phasis, PanCake2, Ambience, OTT, Maximus, Fruity Parametric EQ 2, Fruity Limiter, Soundgoodizer (The holy grail of all FL studio noobs)

OTT, Kickstart, Massive, and Serum are also my favorites.

EnV is the biggest bully I've ever across.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-24 14:34:08

Session Strings Pro

Vocalize 1& 2

Anything by Output

Scoring Guitars and Bass

Battery

Anything by Heavyocity

Soundiron Elysium Harp

Stradivari Strings

Anything by Sample Logic

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-26 12:12:24

It's hard to pick a favourite, but one plugin that gets used on a ton of my stuff is Sketch Cassette.

Sometimes, if the track calls for it, I'll even throw it on the master bus.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-02-26 23:33:45

there's a few free VSTs I really like. Alchemy by camel audio is great but they aren't around anymore so its a bitch to find the free version and I can't find the paid version anywhere, which sucks because I'd actually pay money for it.

Famisynth is nice for some NES music. Also, DRfusion is pretty good for drums if you're willing to spend some time tuning a kit that sounds good. The presets it comes with are ok but I almost always want to change the snare or hihats.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-03-01 07:50:00

I Heavily rely on OTT and Serum but i also like using dBlue Glitch2, Sytrus, YMCK's magical8bitplug [Free but really useful for those 8-bit beeps and boops] and FLEX but the problem with FLEX for me is that it's strains my poor laptop

Distorted Vortex, The Twisted Bass Producer

Distorted's Soundcloud Page | Distorted's Music Label

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-03-01 08:07:49

At 2/1/21 09:20 PM, Zoonotist wrote: https://vital.audio/

I did not know this thing existed this is actually amazing

~Your friendly neighbor Geno.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-17 07:06:11

True Iron : Makes any source sound like either it was recorded off of hardware to begin with or is presently being run through some manner of outboard gear, individual use varies but this permanently lives on my master bus.

bx_console SSL 4000 E : Ever since i got this it goes on every channel as the first plugin for the final mix down and whatever else i do or do not get right at least the end result will sound as if i had a full size vintage mixing desk to do it on which in reality i don't.

Nova : Been around for a while now, still my go to for surgical filtering and pin point compression of undesirable resonances or tightening up a very particular bit of frequency real estate.

The Legend : It's a Minimoog, what else is there to say.

Repro : A Pro-One and a Prophet 5, cus why not.

Polysix : This ends up in more tracks than most, love it.

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-21 15:53:48

I'm really into the DX7 emulator Dexed. FM synthesis in general is really cool and can do all kinds of interesting sounds. It can be a bit daunting to learn though, so I recommend using it while following along with the examples in Howard Massey's book "The Complete DX7" until you have a good enough grip to play things out by ear. (I'm not going to link the book here but it's easy to find a pdf of it online since it's so heavily referenced).

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-21 18:18:39

At 2/26/21 11:33 PM, TURBOSALT wrote: there's a few free VSTs I really like. Alchemy by camel audio is great but they aren't around anymore so its a bitch to find the free version and I can't find the paid version anywhere, which sucks because I'd actually pay money for it.

I used to love that plugin! Back when I only had free stuff it was my main synth for getting new ideas rolling. Full of inspiration and easy to use. Such a shame it disappeared, I agree.

My favourite is Guitar Rig Pro and all the FX that come with it. I use it on EVERYTHING, from the spacial effects (reverbs etc) to the different distortions to the different kinds of choruses. I use it on guitar, on synths, on vocals... Everything can be made better with an effect you find in that pack.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock!

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-21 18:30:15

At 2/26/21 11:33 PM, TURBOSALT wrote: Alchemy by camel audio is great but they aren't around anymore so its a bitch to find the free version and I can't find the paid version anywhere, which sucks because I'd actually pay money for it.

If you really want to find it, get a Mac and either use the player version on Garageband or find the full version on Logic Pro X. Apple bought out Camel Audio about half a decade ago, which is why their products disappeared on all other platforms.

On the bright side, Apple did breathe new life into the Alchemy player and synth and made a 2.0 version for their platforms.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-21 21:50:10

It's a pity out of all companies it had to be Apple who bought out Camel Audio. Everything they buy, they make Mac only. :(

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-21 22:49:26

At 4/21/21 09:50 PM, CzySzy wrote: It's a pity out of all companies it had to be Apple who bought out Camel Audio. Everything they buy, they make Mac only. :(

Trust me, I wanted to use Alchemy on my own Mac but I didn't want to use Logic Pro. It's touch even for Mac users :(

I might even consider switching out of Mac in the near future, because 3rd-party software, especially freeware made by hobbyist devs, is getting especially screwed by Apple's new policies. Old software is especially vulnerable since Apple is trying to eradicate 32-bit libraries on their systems.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-23 04:42:47

If I strictly stick to non-generators, I'd say my favorite 10 of any type right now when narrowed down (I could easily post much more haha) that I use in pretty much every single project going forwards since 2021 are:

Brainworx bx_console N

Brainworx bx_XL V2

Millennia NSEQ-2

SPL Iron

Noveltech Character

Eventide Ultrareverb

Valhalla Supermassive

D16 Repeater

Waves Vitamin

Waves C4

| LD-W - Multi-Genre Composer | Lich Is My Other/Old NG Account | FREE Audio Resources List For Composers - 2021 |

BBS Signature

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-24 17:01:59

Right now I am shuffling pretty steadily through Massive-X, Serum, Reaktor 6 and Kontakt 6 and associated NI libraries. I use them interchangably depending on what I want to accomplish.

The influence of language-- the lingua franca, is the programming of the active mind. Some languages are considered universal. They know no borders.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-04-27 18:38:49

I use Reason, personally, so due to how much I enjoy their synths and modular rack layout I can't imagine *not* recommending that VST to others who don't use Reason.

Outside of that, I'm playing with a few neat VSTs. Air Loom is a really fun additive synth, and Vital is a really powerful synth (especially considering it's free).

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-05-02 01:30:54

FabFilter Pro-Q 3. This is my go-to EQ plugin with great functions. Worth the money.

Sylenth1. I rent-to-own this the other day. It's the first synth I learned. It's simple and pretty light on my CPU.

and OTT.

Response to favorite vst plugins 2021-05-02 13:46:11

Definitely the Roland Sound Canvas plugin! Since samples from Roland SC devices like the SC-88 were used by a lot of different VGM composers back in the 90s and 00s, using it feels right in a way.

I think my favorite technique might be taking those older, more dated sounds, and pairing them with other VSTs such as BooBass, Sytrus, Harmor, etc. to create something in-between the old and the new. That specific genre of "retro-but-only-partially" music is my jam, and hey. "Be the change you want to see in the world," right?