00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Is rock coming back into the mainstream?

411 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 17:45:45

At 1/23/21 04:10 PM, DrunkGecko wrote:
At 1/23/21 04:01 PM, blimbogames wrote:
At 1/23/21 11:18 AM, DrunkGecko wrote:
At 1/23/21 06:29 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/23/21 04:13 AM, Sekhem wrote: i'm sure metallica can still sell out tours to dads around the world
And their children, if they're well educated.
im sorry but metallica is fucking garbage
thrash metal is an acquired taste
i prefer black metal and grindcore

That's an acquired un-taste.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 17:58:20

At 1/23/21 11:19 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: For instance, I haven't heard a pop song in years to the point where I'm not even sure if Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift are still alive... for any of you youngerns out there, those were the big two pop musicians back when I was a lad.

I remember last hearing about Bieber maybe in 2019 or early 2020, for him releasing a song apparently so bad that not even people who like Justin Bieber liked it. Taylor Swift comes up more often, mostly for this:

iu_229676_4374220.png

(Not for the Onion article itself, to be clear)

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 18:04:25

At 1/23/21 02:27 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/23/21 11:19 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: The last generation of rock fans usually only cared about the hits (ask your dad what his favorite Deep Purple song is, if he says Smoke on the Water then it means he was the 70s version of a basic bitch)
You'll be delighted to hear that my dad's answer was "Child in Time".

I'm not about to ask him but given that when I asked his favourite Deep Purple album he gave three answers (Deep Purple for Mark 1, Fireball for Mark 2, and Burn for Mark 3. Beyond that point we don't have enough albums on hand for him to know) I'm sure my dad would do something similar if I asked his favourite song.

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 18:08:27

At 1/23/21 04:51 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/23/21 03:57 PM, DamnWei wrote:
At 1/23/21 11:19 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: TL/DR: Sort of but not really, it's cool though because the mainstream's fuckin' boomer shit at this point anyway.

Full answer:
No, the "mainstream" as we knew it is just dying out thanks to the internet.
We have a massive database of content that can cater to anyone's unique tastes without them having to bother even knowing about the shit they don't like. For instance, I haven't heard a pop song in years to the point where I'm not even sure if Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift are still alive... for any of you youngerns out there, those were the big two pop musicians back when I was a lad.
There is no more mainstream, or at least its days are numbered. What we have now are little niche streams for all different types of people to drink from while the former almighty main stream devolves into a sewage runoff.

A better question would be "Is rock becoming more popular?" and the answer would be yes, thanks to things like Jojo's Bizzare Adventure giving young impressionable weebs an appreciation for prog and metal,
I don't really like the jojo mangos or animes, and I'm certainly not young by interwebs standards. But I appreciate the QUEEN reference.
https://youtu.be/o0DGZWl4jRg

Weird having anime David Bowie summon a robot Freddy Mercury.
I've seriously gotta get into this show at some point.

Reminder that DGM live's official website referenced the King Crimson stand from JoJo's.

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 19:00:17

alt culture is so stupid now

look at these retards

iu_229707_6715108.png

YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 19:30:00

At 1/23/21 07:00 PM, DrunkGecko wrote: alt culture is so stupid now
look at these retards

"It's not the same getting high without you."

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 21:27:44

At 1/23/21 07:00 PM, DrunkGecko wrote: alt culture is so stupid now
look at these retards

yeah they look fucking stupid

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-23 21:35:07

At 1/23/21 10:21 AM, Sekhem wrote:
At 1/23/21 10:03 AM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: Rock did not transfer into the digital age well.

Rock songs are very complicated and require a lot of time. An average or above-average song can take a month to mix.

A pop, RNB, rap or electronica song requires much less, and little to no synchronization with the singer or musicians involved.
rocks songs are only more complicated to mix because most of the instruments are in the same frequency range

that's what led to the dreaded loudness wars and the stripping of most of the dynamic range

these days, rock is produced/mixed/engineered in almost exactly the same way as pop

the days of old-school gearheads like stefan boman are over (even he uses an avid s6 these days)

I never really thought about it that way, rock is a harder genre to make since you have to actually know how to play instruments instead of just going on fl studio and making a shitty beat.

BBS Signature

At 1/23/21 09:59 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 1/23/21 09:35 PM, Stupudding wrote: rock is a harder genre to make since you have to actually know how to play instruments instead of just going on fl studio and making a shitty beat.
do you think that's how electronic music is made?

I'm going to state from experience that making electronic music isn't hard, any idiot can do it...

Same with metal or any other genre.

Making good music, now that's where the challenge comes in! It doesn't depend on genre either, if you wanna make good techno then you'd better know how to work a synth, if you wanna make good metal then you'd better know guitar, and if you wanna make classical (which is what all you plebs oughta be bending your goddamn knees to) then you'd better know how how to play a piano like it's your greatest obsession.

"All this machinery making modern music

Can still be open-hearted

Not so coldly charted

It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah

Your honesty"

-Rush, Spirit of the Radio

In which a rock band that plays "real instruments" makes the bold statement that electronic music is still music.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 03:14:15

At 1/23/21 11:18 AM, DrunkGecko wrote:
At 1/23/21 06:29 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/23/21 04:13 AM, Sekhem wrote: i'm sure metallica can still sell out tours to dads around the world
And their children, if they're well educated.
im sorry but metallica is fucking garbage

Im gonna come kick down your door and rupture your eardrums with a noise marine sonic cannon blasting this:

Good? bad? im the guy with the gun! I'd say im sorry, but you'd know it wouidnt be sincere, so have a nice day!

caleb reads ep1!

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 03:19:56

At 1/23/21 11:19 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: TL/DR: Sort of but not really, it's cool though because the mainstream's fuckin' boomer shit at this point anyway.

Full answer:
No, the "mainstream" as we knew it is just dying out thanks to the internet.
We have a massive database of content that can cater to anyone's unique tastes without them having to bother even knowing about the shit they don't like. For instance, I haven't heard a pop song in years to the point where I'm not even sure if Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift are still alive... for any of you youngerns out there, those were the big two pop musicians back when I was a lad.
There is no more mainstream, or at least its days are numbered. What we have now are little niche streams for all different types of people to drink from while the former almighty main stream devolves into a sewage runoff.

A better question would be "Is rock becoming more popular?" and the answer would be yes, thanks to things like Jojo's Bizzare Adventure giving young impressionable weebs an appreciation for prog and metal, the Youtube algorithm recommending them more music based on the songs they got into thanks to said show, and then Spotify dragging them even deeper into the rabbit hole with their own algorithm that recommends even more music based on what users with similar tastes are into, not only is rock music finding a new younger audience, this younger audience is actually likely to have a far deeper appreciation for the genre than their parents ever did.
Let me elaborate, I have a lot of records, a good chunk of them I got from my parents' old collections. Just as an example, my mother had a copy of Yes's 90125 album, Owner of a Lonely Heart is well listened to with a few skips and scratches, then it gets to Hold On and from that point in it practically a brand new record.
The last generation of rock fans usually only cared about the hits (ask your dad what his favorite Deep Purple song is, if he says Smoke on the Water then it means he was the 70s version of a basic bitch) this generation of rock fans on the other hand will listen to an entire record because they don't give a damn what the radio track is, every track is on the same level to them and there's no bias.
In short, all the boomers who were pissed about their kids not listening to "their generation of music" are quickly going to switch over to getting pissed about their kids knowing way more about their generation of music than they ever did.

It's not just rock music either, I feel like Jazz has been breaking back into some kind of spotlight as well, probably due in part to people being recommended a little Charles Mingus on Youtube after listening to the Cowboy Bebop OST enough times, which just further proves my hypothesis that anime is doing more to give young people an appreciation for "real music" than any "radio was better back in my day" old-fuck ever did.

The only good thing that weebs ever did is thrashing to metal like a man.

And i didn't have to force them in a boomer way. You know maybe this anime shit ain't so bad. Well some of it anyways...

Good? bad? im the guy with the gun! I'd say im sorry, but you'd know it wouidnt be sincere, so have a nice day!

caleb reads ep1!

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 04:04:22

the only thing i can think of is machine gun kelly making pop punk, otherwise i don't think so unfortunately

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 04:22:07

At 1/23/21 09:35 PM, Stupudding wrote: I never really thought about it that way, rock is a harder genre to make since you have to actually know how to play instruments instead of just going on fl studio and making a shitty beat.

There is literal software you can buy to simulate most "rock" instruments, and often very well. Quite a few

Youtube musicians (cover and original) use them.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

What to listen to next?

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 04:52:32

It's never not been popular you just weren't paying attention. Just because it's not Meatloaf doesn't make it not-rock. A lot of Rock Rap crossovers in the mainstream especially.

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 05:53:51

At 1/23/21 10:12 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: classical (which is what all you plebs oughta be bending your goddamn knees to)

Oh, I am.

Also, a piano makes anything better, whatever it is.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 06:16:27

At 1/24/21 05:53 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 1/23/21 10:12 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: classical (which is what all you plebs oughta be bending your goddamn knees to)
Oh, I am.

Also, a piano makes anything better, whatever it is.

ikr

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 12:18:02

At 1/24/21 04:22 AM, Ryanson wrote:
At 1/23/21 09:35 PM, Stupudding wrote: I never really thought about it that way, rock is a harder genre to make since you have to actually know how to play instruments instead of just going on fl studio and making a shitty beat.
There is literal software you can buy to simulate most "rock" instruments, and often very well. Quite a few

I found something that matches your description.

caleb reads ep1!

BBS Signature

At 1/24/21 12:18 PM, Kaptindregbadd wrote:
At 1/24/21 04:22 AM, Ryanson wrote:

Im just not sure if this is the original mix of the song. Hmkids is a russian warhammer fan band and you have to download their music from a torrent website. Those brave souls have uploaded it to youtube.

caleb reads ep1!

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 19:03:24

pop/rap/electronic is easier to produce on both an independent and commercial level. It can require only one guy to do it alongside a handful of software in comparison to getting a whole band together.

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 22:21:48

At 1/23/21 10:26 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 1/23/21 10:12 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: if you wanna make good techno then you'd better know how to work a synth
the trick for techno is the drum machine, not the synth - come on now

you're not wrong. techno focuses more on the beat than the melody

YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

Response to Is rock coming back into the mainstream? 2021-01-24 22:56:54

At 1/23/21 11:38 AM, DiscO-Zone wrote:
At 1/23/21 11:16 AM, Ryanson wrote: Here's the big question I personally would ask since I've basically lived in my own little world music-wise: what happened in the zeitgeist that resulted in this big change?
It would be too glib to just say "smartphones", but that's part of it. The type of music that young people like now mostly seems to be pleasant inconspicuous noise that you can put on in the background while multitasking. The abundance of easy entertainment also means that something arduous like learning to play one of grandpa's instruments (which might as well include the electric guitar by now) is less popular than ever. They have no desire to listen to something like "The Court of the Crimson King" and dissect every bit of it. Not to imply that the average person back then was a big King Crimson fan, but they were well-liked enough to appear on the Billboard Hot 100 occasionally.

That said, I feel like a fist-shaking old man for having written the above paragraph, so if anyone disagrees, I'd like to hear your opinion. I've seen signs of kids discovering old music and appreciating it, but rock and metal music (or jazz, folk, etc) just does not have the cultural presence that it used to.

Pop music is pretty easily accessible by its nature. So maybe that more ambient, chill, "study" stuff is just the more distilled part of that. Feels like it's getting weirdly close to meditation music (which btw, some good shit there) but you can still bop your head to it