00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options

3,955 Views | 28 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you visit your account options page today, you’ll notice an updated Flash Options box:

iu_229005_1.png

The first toggle has always been there and allows you to default to loading the original Flash file when available. This is mainly for animation, where a lot of classic Flash has been converted to video but some people prefer to play the SWF.

The second toggle is new and enabled by default. If you don’t like it when we attempt to run Flash via Ruffle emulation, you can disable this feature and we won’t attempt emulation.

The third toggle was added last week and allows you to disable Newgrounds Player, if you prefer traditional Flash embeds. We no longer default to traditional Flash embeds because modern browsers don’t support them.

If you’re running a browser that can play Flash on its own, you now have the option to disable both Ruffle and NG Player, so that Flash will embed as it has in years past.

Regarding Newgrounds Player, if it is not working for you, try editing this config file. We’re looking into making this part of the install process.

Flash Forward Jam - Extended Through February

We’ve extended our Flash Forward Jam until the end of February! We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers thanks to Ruffle. There are over $2,600 in prizes and we just commissioned some fun promo art by @zattdott:

iu_229006_1.jpg

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

I was testing @Wiesi's games this week after the latest Ruffle update got Miami Shark working. Photo King is another fun game of his that appears to be good to go!

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @Shadowcat5150.

Shadowcat5150 had a tablet that died; now she can get back to work with a new one!

I'll also note, Shadowcat5150 illustrated the cover art for JohnnyGuy's Pico OST, snag it for $3 on Bandcamp!

Pixel Day

Pixel Day, this Saturday, January 23rd, with over $1,200 in prizes! You can participate by sharing your original pixel art, animation, games and chiptunes. Read the Pixel Day post for more information.

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser now that Flash is no longer supported. Ruffle doesn’t run everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Gage, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this is our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Community News

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge!

@Fro is fundraising to enter a Strongman Competition

We’re sending Fro a Newgrounds shirt to wear.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 12:54:11

Thanks for working so hard on the Flash stuff. I know it really blind sided everyone and it was great to see the community come together and find work arounds so quickly. I hope the people who have been asking in the Wi/Ht found my responses to the work around helpful in the time being.

Thank you for sending me the newgrounds T-Shirt and for donating to my strong man competition fees! I'll send a video of me working out with the shirt as soon as I get it.

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 13:05:34

Can't wait for pixel day, I definitely will not win the contest but that is not my objective!

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 13:18:03

At 1/22/21 12:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’re sending Fro a Newgrounds shirt to wear.

iu_229031_2278460.gif

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 14:38:35

Nice. :) New Flash embed options seem to complement each other perfectly, all use case scenarios considered.

Love that promo art, craaazy prize pool now, and Congrats on the tablet @Shadowcat5150!

And @Fro on that shirt! Repping NG at a strongman competition as official sponsor?! That'd be pretty awesome.

The latest: Hexa #66 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 14:53:25

Congratulations to @Shadowcat5150!!

And many thanks @TomFulp for testing my games!! It's much appreciated and celebrated with a beer now! Cheers! :D

BTW, a few days ago, while being on my daily Lockdown-Walk, I spotted this Newgrounds-Sticker on the back of a traffic light near the center of my city, Hamburg:

iu_229100_1036262.jpg

At 1/22/21 02:53 PM, Wiesi wrote: BTW, a few days ago, while being on my daily Lockdown-Walk, I spotted this Newgrounds-Sticker on the back of a traffic light near the center of my city, Hamburg:

So awesome. :D And some other intriguing ones on that same light, time to Google all somewhat visible names and/or slogans... seems you have a way richer street light sticker culture over there. Rarely see more than just the rare one over here.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 16:08:08

I love the new options. I had to type "newgroundsplayer:[subbmission number]" to view stuff in NG player. The Ruffle emulation isn't that bad, but it has many downs (quality settings, input issues for some games, etc).

Peace

--Sky

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 16:12:03

Omg thank you so much!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 16:12:29

Thank you so much for the congratulations!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 16:13:04

Thanks for the congratulations!! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 16:54:59

Hey @TomFulp ! I've got some art I'm going to upload for Pixel Day. The original post mentions uploading your content on Pixel Day itself - that's in the EST time zone, right? I'm out on the West Coast, so we're three hours behind you guys. So, uploading at or past 9:00 PM on 1/22 my time would be valid, right? Thanks!

iu_229156_5364871.jpg

This was in Toronto in 2009. Its now gone however.

At 1/22/21 02:53 PM, Wiesi wrote: Congratulations to @Shadowcat5150!!

And many thanks @TomFulp for testing my games!! It's much appreciated and celebrated with a beer now! Cheers! :D

BTW, a few days ago, while being on my daily Lockdown-Walk, I spotted this Newgrounds-Sticker on the back of a traffic light near the center of my city, Hamburg:

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 17:53:07

At 1/22/21 04:54 PM, Intrapath wrote: Hey @TomFulp ! I've got some art I'm going to upload for Pixel Day. The original post mentions uploading your content on Pixel Day itself - that's in the EST time zone, right? I'm out on the West Coast, so we're three hours behind you guys. So, uploading at or past 9:00 PM on 1/22 my time would be valid, right? Thanks!

Yup, that would work! We aren't penalizing early entries either but it's nice to have stuff date-stamped with the official date.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 18:25:50

NGPlayer question:

Does it work on Linux?

Signature? What's a signature?

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 19:55:50

Thank you so much for this update! Now i can play all the flash games and html5 in pale moon without problems! Also, will NGPlayer support windows 7 at some point? (probably not)

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 20:12:06

I really wanted this Tom, thank you.

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-22 20:29:20

Well I have done my Flash Forward Jam entry, works on my phone, but me medals don't work and that makes me sad, I've not done anything different to normal other than having a lot of points total for them.

At 1/22/21 04:08 PM, ChrisSkyRo wrote: I love the new options. I had to type "newgroundsplayer:[subbmission number]" to view stuff in NG player. The Ruffle emulation isn't that bad, but it has many downs (quality settings, input issues for some games, etc).

I've heard it doesn't work with 5 digit numbers or less, so if I want to run Alien Hominid using real Flash via Newgrounds Player, it won't work.

Example: newgroundsplayer:28240 can't be reached.

This means flashes made prior to May 2003 can't be played using this method, and chances are, most of them are already using Ruffle.

That's why we have this new option.

Go and subscribe and comment on my flies.

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-23 14:27:14

At 1/22/21 12:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you visit your account options page today, you’ll notice an updated Flash Options box:

The first toggle has always been there and allows you to default to loading the original Flash file when available. This is mainly for animation, where a lot of classic Flash has been converted to video but some people prefer to play the SWF.

The second toggle is new and enabled by default. If you don’t like it when we attempt to run Flash via Ruffle emulation, you can disable this feature and we won’t attempt emulation.

The third toggle was added last week and allows you to disable Newgrounds Player, if you prefer traditional Flash embeds. We no longer default to traditional Flash embeds because modern browsers don’t support them.

If you’re running a browser that can play Flash on its own, you now have the option to disable both Ruffle and NG Player, so that Flash will embed as it has in years past.

Regarding Newgrounds Player, if it is not working for you, try editing this config file. We’re looking into making this part of the install process.

Flash Forward Jam - Extended Through February

We’ve extended our Flash Forward Jam until the end of February! We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers thanks to Ruffle. There are over $2,600 in prizes and we just commissioned some fun promo art by @zattdott:

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/504748

I was testing @Wiesi's games this week after the latest Ruffle update got Miami Shark working. Photo King is another fun game of his that appears to be good to go!

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @Shadowcat5150.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/shadowcat5150/pico-by-tom-fulp
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/shadowcat5150/get-freeki

Shadowcat5150 had a tablet that died; now she can get back to work with a new one!

I'll also note, Shadowcat5150 illustrated the cover art for JohnnyGuy's Pico OST, snag it for $3 on Bandcamp!

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/997097

Pixel Day

Pixel Day, this Saturday, January 23rd, with over $1,200 in prizes! You can participate by sharing your original pixel art, animation, games and chiptunes. Read the Pixel Day post for more information.

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser now that Flash is no longer supported. Ruffle doesn’t run everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Gage, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this is our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Community News

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge!

@Fro is fundraising to enter a Strongman Competition! 

We’re sending Fro a Newgrounds shirt to wear.

Tom! Can I please ask for an important little feature? I'd like to run Ruffle on my phone but NG Player on computers. Could you make a solution depending on the view resolution? Maybe force Ruffle and ignore NG Player and legacy Flash player plugin if I'm on the phone.Thanks!

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-24 22:33:22

Those tank-men pins are awesome, definitely buying those! Is that the official NG online store?

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-25 08:28:38

At 1/24/21 10:33 PM, Mabelma wrote: Those tank-men pins are awesome, definitely buying those! Is that the official NG online store?

Yeah this is the closest thing to an official NG store! I need to promote it more.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-25 11:14:12

i really want those tankmen pins :0 i gotta get a job smh wish i had enough to afford it

XD

At 1/22/21 05:00 PM, carbonlad wrote: This was in Toronto in 2009. Its now gone however.

If it hadn't been tagged as much otherwise I wonder if they would've let at least the NG sticker fly by there... nice that you got a photo at least! Shall archive and cherish.

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 04:13 PM, Shadowcat5150 wrote: Thanks for the congratulations!! :D

So happy you posted about it three times? XD Gotta love that level of happiness though! Awesome.

If you by any chance were responding to different people it's always handy with the quoted text so peeps know who.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-01-26 10:21:02

At 1/22/21 07:55 PM, Metalboy220 wrote: Thank you so much for this update! Now i can play all the flash games and html5 in pale moon without problems! Also, will NGPlayer support windows 7 at some point? (probably not)

It already does. :) I'm running the NG Player on Windows 7 myself, though you do need a manual fix currently for it to work at all, regardless of OS (the file replacement one's pretty quick): https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244

At 1/25/21 08:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yeah this is the closest thing to an official NG store! I need to promote it more.

A main site footer link maybe? ;)

BBS Signature

Would it be possible to add a download button for Flash files, too? I find a super reliable way to play games is to download the file for offline use with F12 and Ctrl + F to find the SWF file (Flash Player offline works as if there was no shutdown at all.) A button would be a lot more user-friendly.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-02-04 03:43:30

Congrats on winning the tablet number 48 Shadowcat5150. You can never have enough New Flash Options.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 48 and New Flash Options 2021-02-05 06:38:10

It's been upsetting me that I can't play this any more. It's one of the few games that allowed me to play with other members.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature