00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

What's the deal with fan-made (parody) comics and animation?

650 Views | 57 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 1/22/21 07:26 PM, ngman7 wrote: I get certain intellectual properties are popular, like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog, but how many SMB- and Sonic-related fan-made cartoon and comics, including parody material, are we going to see? There are dozens. How many are going to be made before people get tired of them?


I don't know

Let's look at history

And take an educated guess

Based on literally thousands of years worth of data

Only to find there are no shortages of new ideas based on even the oldest works of fiction


Are you gonna put on your big boy pants and accept that reboots, parodies, and fan-works are as old as media itself, shut up, and quit bumping your own pointless threads or put on your big boy pants and walk away?


RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.


At 1/22/21 07:26 PM, ngman7 wrote: I get certain intellectual properties are popular, like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog, but how many SMB- and Sonic-related fan-made cartoon and comics, including parody material, are we going to see? There are dozens. How many are going to be made before people get tired of them?


Seeing as both of those franchises are still going strong in some degree, fanworks will continue to being made. Why should fans stop making what they like?


Like, Batman has been around for over 80 years, so there are decades of fans writing and drawing fanworks. I had some ideas for a Batman story : one focusing on the doctors of Arkham Asylum before they went insane, one story with Tim Drake as Batman, a reworking of Jim Steinman's abandoned Batman musical, and a Little Shop of Horrors parody with Poison Ivy in the Seymour role, Harley as Audrey, and Joker as the dentist boyfriend.


Fan-made stuff is paying tribute to something you enjoy, you can also parody something you enjoy, it's about sharing your love for something.


Parody to make fun of something you don't like is just making a statement, and can be very funny.


Parody, and fan-made content can still very much be original, unless it's a remake, or you're stealing an entire plot/sketch, it's going to be original.


YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 09:39 PM, DrunkGecko wrote: this is the best pac man fanmade animation
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/739602


iu_229263_1568164.gif


At 1/22/21 09:44 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/22/21 09:39 PM, DrunkGecko wrote: this is the best pac man fanmade animation
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/739602

iu_229272_6715108.jpg


YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 10:56 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:54 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:46 AM, NeonDev wrote: Do you think you’re a good writer?
YES.
Then prove it!
Take a poop in front of us and turn it into Shakespeare!!!


Wouldn't that be proof of being a great sculptor (or pooper) and not writer? - pooping and sculpting Shakespeares out of it.


At 1/22/21 07:52 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: I don't know
Let's look at history
And take an educated guess
Based on literally thousands of years worth of data
Only to find there are no shortages of new ideas based on even the oldest works of fiction


Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter?

iu_229410_2278460.jpg


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

At 1/23/21 04:34 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:56 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:54 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:46 AM, NeonDev wrote: Do you think you’re a good writer?
YES.
Then prove it!
Take a poop in front of us and turn it into Shakespeare!!!
Wouldn't that be proof of being a great sculptor (or pooper) and not writer? - pooping and sculpting Shakespeares out of it.


TURN THAT POOP, INTO SHAKESPEARE!

TURN THAT POOP, INTO SHAKESPEARE!


RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.


At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore? Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?


No. Using existing context/characters is easier and gets attention since others also like the source.

How else would we get cool things like this?



A.K.A. ONimiv

"I agree with that Onim person" ='D

BBS Signature

At 1/23/21 12:58 PM, Titilonic wrote:
At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore? Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?
No. Using existing context/characters is easier and gets attention since others also like the source.
How else would we get cool things like this?


I know- it's easier to create and base something on something that's engrained in pop culture. Something people are familiar with.


I thought about creating fan works, which would include parodies, based on existing characters, but I'd rather do something using homages to and/or pastiches of existing characters that I created. I know fan-made stuff, including parodies, generally falls under Fair Use, but if I use homages to and/of pastiches of existing characters I don't have to concern myself with potential copyright infringement.


Homages and/or pastiches are legally allowed.


At 1/23/21 06:22 PM, ngman7 wrote: I thought about creating fan works, which would include parodies, based on existing characters, but I'd rather do something using homages to and/or pastiches of existing characters that I created.


Then what are you waiting for? Just do it.

iu_229716_8405675.gif


I know fan-made stuff, including parodies, generally falls under Fair Use, but if I use homages to and/of pastiches of existing characters I don't have to concern myself with potential copyright infringement.

Homages and/or pastiches are legally allowed.


You're saying this like it is shocking information, when most people know this already.


Like people can, and have, written and created movies, books, and musicals based on the old Wizard of Oz books.


At 1/23/21 06:22 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/23/21 12:58 PM, Titilonic wrote:
At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore? Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?
No. Using existing context/characters is easier and gets attention since others also like the source.
How else would we get cool things like this?
I know- it's easier to create and base something on something that's engrained in pop culture. Something people are familiar with.

I thought about creating fan works, which would include parodies, based on existing characters, but I'd rather do something using homages to and/or pastiches of existing characters that I created. I know fan-made stuff, including parodies, generally falls under Fair Use, but if I use homages to and/of pastiches of existing characters I don't have to concern myself with potential copyright infringement.

Homages and/or pastiches are legally allowed.



RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.


At 1/22/21 10:19 AM, Prinzy2 wrote:
At 1/22/21 09:51 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:


Wayne Brady will forever be Black Ned Flanders.


This game sucks turkey dick!

Best Toon

The Worst Thread In The Galaxy

BBS Signature

Is this a thread seriously asking "why are parodies"


BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

What to listen to next?

BBS Signature

They're just a bit of fun mate. Let some joy into your life.



https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

At 1/24/21 05:03 AM, Ryanson wrote: Is this a thread seriously asking "why are parodies"


No. I am asking what's the deal with all this fan-made material.


At 1/23/21 07:15 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 1/23/21 06:22 PM, ngman7 wrote: I thought about creating fan works, which would include parodies, based on existing characters, but I'd rather do something using homages to and/or pastiches of existing characters that I created.
Then what are you waiting for? Just do it.

Do YOU have any works produced that you showcased online anywhere? I am just curious.


At 1/25/21 04:23 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/24/21 05:03 AM, Ryanson wrote: Is this a thread seriously asking "why are parodies"
No. I am asking what's the deal with all this fan-made material.

No matter how mean-spirited or cynical, all parodies come from some form of admiration, so all people who make them are in some way fans of the material.


You should re-ask the question in your typical 10,000 words or more so that I can truly understand the difference of what you mean, or treat it as TLDR, whichever you prefer.


BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

What to listen to next?

BBS Signature

At 1/25/21 04:28 AM, Ryanson wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:23 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/24/21 05:03 AM, Ryanson wrote: Is this a thread seriously asking "why are parodies"
No. I am asking what's the deal with all this fan-made material.
No matter how mean-spirited or cynical, all parodies come from some form of admiration, so all people who make them are in some way fans of the material.

You should re-ask the question in your typical 10,000 words or more so that I can truly understand the difference of what you mean, or treat it as TLDR, whichever you prefer.


There's a lot of fan-made material online and a big chunk of it is parody.


@Titilonic, I know you liked my post regarding Fair Use, copyright infringement and homages and pastiches. I am not an expert on legalism and copyright and trademark law. I took a course in copyright and trademark law in art school but that was years ago.


At 1/25/21 04:35 AM, ngman7 wrote: There's a lot of fan-made material online and a big chunk of it is parody.


Are you a parody?


BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

What to listen to next?

BBS Signature

At 1/25/21 04:38 AM, Ryanson wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:35 AM, ngman7 wrote: There's a lot of fan-made material online and a big chunk of it is parody.
Are you a parody?


I was just pointing something out.


At 1/25/21 04:55 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:38 AM, Ryanson wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:35 AM, ngman7 wrote: There's a lot of fan-made material online and a big chunk of it is parody.
Are you a parody?
I was just pointing something out.

And you know what, I apologize. The snark and attitude was uncalled for.


Your statement did not affect anything in my preceding statement, though. In fact, it only highlighted everything I said (I suppose this reply is more true than my own, actually).


BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

What to listen to next?

BBS Signature

At 1/25/21 04:23 AM, ngman7 wrote: Do YOU have any works produced that you showcased online anywhere? I am just curious.


No, I have not published anything online, but I never claimed to be a writer or an artist.


If you want, I can publish one of my old poems I wrote when I was a hopeless teenager.


this thread is kinda sad...


stop flaming op, just answer his question


woah look at me i'm on newground man

BBS Signature

At 1/25/21 06:57 AM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:23 AM, ngman7 wrote: Do YOU have any works produced that you showcased online anywhere? I am just curious.
No, I have not published anything online, but I never claimed to be a writer or an artist.

If you want, I can publish one of my old poems I wrote when I was a hopeless teenager.


Okay. I think you will be happy t know I signed up for a program with which I am going to learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons. The cartoons I want to develop and produce and showcase online.


I would like to see one of your poems.


At 2/4/21 09:35 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/25/21 06:57 AM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 1/25/21 04:23 AM, ngman7 wrote: Do YOU have any works produced that you showcased online anywhere? I am just curious.
No, I have not published anything online, but I never claimed to be a writer or an artist.

If you want, I can publish one of my old poems I wrote when I was a hopeless teenager.
Okay. I think you will be happy to know I signed up for a program with which I am going to learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons. The cartoons I want to develop and produce and showcase online.

I would like to see one of your poems.


-FIXED.


I was trying to figure out what do to get the voice acting training I wanted and needed. I was checking to see if my old art school was offering any courses for voice over work this term through their Continuing Ed Dept. I ran into a problem dealing with one of the instructors who was teaching voice over courses; this man covers voice over work for cartoons in great detail. The other instructor is offering two courses for voice over work this term but she does not cover voice over work in great detail. I saw an ad on YouTube for a free book about voice over work that a woman was offering. I decided to send away for the book and sign up for her program.


At 2/4/21 10:06 PM, ngman7 wrote: I was trying to figure out what do to get the voice acting training I wanted and needed. I was checking to see if my old art school was offering any courses for voice over work this term through their Continuing Ed Dept. I ran into a problem dealing with one of the instructors who was teaching voice over courses; this man covers voice over work for cartoons in great detail. The other instructor is offering two courses for voice over work this term but she does not cover voice over work in great detail. I saw an ad on YouTube for a free book about voice over work that a woman was offering. I decided to send away for the book and sign up for her program.


Initially I thought you signed up for an actual course with an instructor in a school. Then you explained that wasn't not the case at all. I don't think this free book would help you if the widely free available info online didn't help you before.


You are also trying to do Step 7 when you haven't even finished Step 1 again, which is writing a script or an outline. Without that, I can't tell if you are the creative writer you keep claiming to be.


At 2/4/21 09:35 PM, ngman7 wrote: I would like to see one of your poems.


Well, since you asked nicely, here a poem I poorly wrote over 10 years ago.


All of the Above:


The choice is always true

Teasing you

Giving false ideas

You face it almost

Every week per year

It could be right

It could be wrong


Looking through my old notebook, I'm glad my writing has improved since high school and now it is less angsty. That said, my poem about my crush will never see the light of day.