00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

What's the deal with fan-made (parody) comics and animation?

659 Views | 57 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi. I am curious about this. I've seen a bunch of fan-made cartoons and comics videos on YouTube, and a lot of it is parody material. What's that about?

Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore? Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?

I'm not trolling. I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I sound a bit hypocritical- I am friends with an indie cartoonist and animatior on YouTube. He has a series of Pac-Man/Super Mario Bros. cartoons and comics on YouTube. His videos are different than some of other other video game-based parody videos I have seen because he's actually telling a story with this crossover series of his.

I thought about making fan-made cartoons and comics, possibly creating parodies, but I'll rather do something original.

Please help. Thank you.

What’s wrong with people making fun of the franchises they love or hate

I’m not A Role good model

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore?

No, people have not run out of original ideas. People are still writing original stories with original concepts and characters, and people will continue to do so for years to come.

Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?

Yes, it is easier for new writers to use established worlds and characters to write a new story. Sequels, reimaginings, prequels, and so on. It is why fanfiction.net exists.

I thought about making fan-made cartoons and comics, possibly creating parodies, but I'll rather do something original.

Then do it.

For an animation graduate, you really don't know a lot about writing. All of this was true in the 90s and 00s or whenever you went to college.

BBS Signature

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

There's a class of men (and women) who are always on their guard—

Cunning, treacherous, suspicious—feeling softly—grasping hard—

Brainy, yet without the courage to forsake the beaten track.

he took it out he took it out

At 1/22/21 09:27 AM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore?
No, people have not run out of original ideas. People are still writing original stories with original concepts and characters, and people will continue to do so for years to come.

Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?
Yes, it is easier for new writers to use established worlds and characters to write a new story. Sequels, reimaginings, prequels, and so on. It is why fanfiction.net exists.

Then do it.

For an animation graduate, you really don't know a lot about writing. All of this was true in the 90s and 00s or whenever you went to college.

I am good at creative writing. I wrote two preliminary comic book stories. Given what I was dealing with in my personal life for a LONG TIME I wasn't really focusing on writing. I spent more trying doing research towards getting my material developed.

Why is fan-made stuff so popular then, if people aren't running out of original ideas?

At 1/22/21 08:27 AM, UggoSonno wrote: What’s wrong with people making fun of the franchises they love or hate

Who said anything was wrong with it?

At 1/22/21 09:51 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:

iu_228923_1809211.jpg

BBS Signature

Why do you assume I don't know too much about writing?

At 1/22/21 10:27 AM, ngman7 wrote:

He’s not assuming, also yes, it is true about the 00’s

At 1/22/21 10:39 AM, NeonDev wrote:

I went to art college in the '90s.

Yes he's assuming I don't know too much about creative writing.

At 1/22/21 10:42 AM, ngman7 wrote:

And do you think you’re the greatest writer there ever is?

At 1/22/21 10:43 AM, NeonDev wrote:

NO.

At 1/22/21 10:45 AM, ngman7 wrote:

NO.

Do you think you’re a good writer?

At 1/22/21 10:46 AM, NeonDev wrote:

NO.

YES.

At 1/22/21 10:54 AM, ngman7 wrote:

NO.
YES.

Then prove it!

Take a poop in front of us and turn it into Shakespeare!!!

At 1/22/21 10:02 AM, ngman7 wrote: I am good at creative writing. I wrote two preliminary comic book stories.

I don't know if that is true or not. I haven't seen any script or even a few lines of dialogue from whatever you are working on.

Given what I was dealing with in my personal life for a LONG TIME I wasn't really focusing on writing. I spent more trying doing research towards getting my material developed.

Howard Ashman was dying from AIDS when he was working on Disney's Beauty & The Beast. He was literally on his deathbed while he was writing the film's songs and helped with the voice recording sessions. He didn't live to see the completed film.

Surely you could have done some scriptwriting during whatever turbulent event that happened in your life. Whatever happened certainly didn't stop from browsing online on a regular basis

Why is fan-made stuff so popular then, if people aren't running out of original ideas?

Believe it or not, but people have diverse tastes and can pay attention to many things online. I can see Batman fan art on Reddit while also read the Batman comics currently being published along with other creator owned comics.

How is it that you have internet access but you lack the ability to find original content? It is not that hard to find original work, here on Newgrounds or everywhere.

I could find a book, movie, show and music, all brand new original content, that all premiered this month, or today even.

At 1/22/21 09:51 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: what's the deal collage fever dream

At 1/22/21 11:03 AM, Urichov wrote:
At 1/22/21 09:51 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: what's the deal collage fever dream
Fuckin' weeb shit

Ha! That's great.

But seriously, what IS the deal?!

At 1/22/21 11:07 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/22/21 11:03 AM, Urichov wrote: Fuckin' weeb shit

Said like you've never heard the 40-second audio clip of people yelling at each other about buying clothes at soup. Hate to see it.

At 1/22/21 11:11 AM, Urichov wrote:
At 1/22/21 11:07 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/22/21 11:03 AM, Urichov wrote: Fuckin' weeb shit
Said like you've never heard the 40-second audio clip of people yelling at each other about buying clothes at soup. Hate to see it.

I had to look that up and I'm damn glad I did.

At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I am curious about this. I've seen a bunch of fan-made cartoons and comics videos on YouTube, and a lot of it is parody material. What's that about?

Parodies are easy because there is often a lot of absurdity and tropes in fiction that can be used for entertainment. In a way, parodies are abject critiques of the thing that they are parodying, though some are better at that than others.

Are people running out of original ideas? People don't know how to be original anymore? Or is it just easier to create something based on something they know?

From what I’ve seen, originality is overrated. Part of it is because creators try way too hard at being original, only to fall back to cliches whenever they’re put in a corner. Also, the irony is that the concept of originality has become a cliche gimmick that anyone can use to make themselves stand out. Finally, a lot of so-called original works tend to either suck, or have niche appeal, and while the former is obvious, the latter tends to get too defensive whenever it get more popular than it has become.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 11:33 AM, orangebomb wrote:
At 1/22/21 08:16 AM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I am curious about this. I've seen a bunch of fan-made cartoons and comics videos on YouTube, and a lot of it is parody material. What's that about?
Parodies are easy because there is often a lot of absurdity and tropes in fiction that can be used for entertainment. In a way, parodies are abject critiques of the thing that they are parodying, though some are better at that than others.

From what I’ve seen, originality is overrated. Part of it is because creators try way too hard at being original, only to fall back to cliches whenever they’re put in a corner. Also, the irony is that the concept of originality has become a cliche gimmick that anyone can use to make themselves stand out. Finally, a lot of so-called original works tend to either suck, or have niche appeal, and while the former is obvious, the latter tends to get too defensive whenever it get more popular than it has become.

This is the Internet, there’s almost nothing original. Me, I try being as cliche as fuck.

At 1/22/21 10:56 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
At 1/22/21 10:54 AM, ngman7 wrote:

NO.
YES.
Then prove it!
Take a poop in front of us and turn it into Shakespeare!!!

or he could just make a good forum poast

YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 11:03 AM, Urichov wrote: (code ment)

My favorite line from that show will always be "Who's stupider?! The one trying to kill himself or the one trying to kill the one trying to kill himself?!"

Cock rings, cock rings, cock rings.

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 12:47 PM, PurpleShoes wrote:
At 1/22/21 11:03 AM, Urichov wrote: (code ment)
My favorite line from that show will always be "Who's stupider?! The one trying to kill himself or the one trying to kill the one trying to kill himself?!"

The former one isn't stupid at all. There's nothing more dignified than looking Fate in the eyes and saying, "Fuck you, I decide when it's over".

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

At 1/22/21 09:40 AM, Prinzy2 wrote:

At 1/22/21 09:51 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote:

This fella might havethe answers:

iu_229162_3416439.jpg

At 1/22/21 11:07 AM, BillyRedSnake wrote: But seriously, what IS the deal?!

10 angry reacts on the OP and he must show his cock, that's the deal!

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

I get certain intellectual properties are popular, like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic The Hedgehog, but how many SMB- and Sonic-related fan-made cartoon and comics, including parody material, are we going to see? There are dozens. How many are going to be made before people get tired of them?