00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I’m here waving at you this weekend because we’re hoping to continue to move Newgrounds away from ads. If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

The End of Flash Day 2

8,327 Views | 69 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 12:47:29

Yesterday was the true End of Flash day, where Flash was officially removed from browsers.

There was a surprise where Windows itself started blocking Flash as well, resulting in Newgrounds Player not working.

@Sonucais came up with an initial workaround and then @dclxvi-satan found a better one. 

Sonucais has now made a post with instructions to get Flash working with Newgrounds Player, via a config file edit. We’re looking into making that part of the install process.

Newgrounds has also been using Ruffle to emulate Flash in the browser. We made a bulk change yesterday where ALL Flash movies were set to run with Ruffle along with ALL Flash games from before July 2006. We chose that date because Ruffle supports most AS2 games but not AS3 games, which started arriving that month.

I’ve been keeping spreadsheets of movies that don’t work and AS2 games that don’t work and have already disabled Ruffle on those.

If you find anything that is trying to run with Ruffle but doesn’t work, please note it in the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew thread.

You can also test Ruffle on content where it isn’t enabled by adding “/format/flash?emulate=flash” to the end of the URL. If you find something that works, let us know in the testing thread! A good example would be AS2 games released after July, 2006.

If you’re wondering where to start, our hubs let you browse by specific date ranges. For example here are the games from July 1st, 2006 to January 1st, 2008, ranked by views. Choose “Custom” in the Range dropdown to set parameters like this - if you want to commit to checking a specific date range, you could note it in the testing thread so other users are encouraged to pursue a different range.

We also have a thumbnail crew thread if you’d like to help update thumbnails with higher resolution source images.

Any help with this stuff is greatly appreciated; it’s a lot of material to sort through!

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced last week. $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know  an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with almost $1,200 in prizes!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Xinxinix made a great series of Best of 2020 Playlists.

Read this week’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 13:03:30

At 1/13/21 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yesterday was the true End of Flash day, where Flash was officially removed from browsers.

There was a surprise where Windows itself started blocking Flash as well, resulting in Newgrounds Player not working.

@Sonucais came up with an initial workaround and then @dclxvi-satan found a better one. 

Sonucais has now made a post with instructions to get Flash working with Newgrounds Player, via a config file edit. We’re looking into making that part of the install process.

Newgrounds has also been using Ruffle to emulate Flash in the browser. We made a bulk change yesterday where ALL Flash movies were set to run with Ruffle along with ALL Flash games from before July 2006. We chose that date because Ruffle supports most AS2 games but not AS3 games, which started arriving that month.

I’ve been keeping spreadsheets of movies that don’t work and AS2 games that don’t work and have already disabled Ruffle on those.

If you find anything that is trying to run with Ruffle but doesn’t work, please note it in the Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew thread.

You can also test Ruffle on content where it isn’t enabled by adding “/format/flash?emulate=flash” to the end of the URL. If you find something that works, let us know in the testing thread! A good example would be AS2 games released after July, 2006.

If you’re wondering where to start, our hubs let you browse by specific date ranges. For example here are the games from July 1st, 2006 to January 1st, 2008, ranked by views. Choose “Custom” in the Range dropdown to set parameters like this - if you want to commit to checking a specific date range, you could note it in the testing thread so other users are encouraged to pursue a different range.

We also have a thumbnail crew thread if you’d like to help update thumbnails with higher resolution source images.

Any help with this stuff is greatly appreciated; it’s a lot of material to sort through!

Yo, shout out to the community for hopping on the workarounds so quickly!

There's a lot of work ahead for continuing to preserve old content, and that spreadsheet idea is serious dedication!

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 13:11:38

monchhichi tribe love banana (willow,hanae,kaeori) -w-

flagging stolen things

also i'm playing geometry dash <3 <3

report bad things <3

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 13:15:35

Let's stay strong!

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 13:48:02 (edited 2021-01-13 13:48:22)

At 1/13/21 12:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Yesterday was the true End of Flash day, where Flash was officially removed from browsers.

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced last week. $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

I wish the best of luck to ya, Tom, and the team.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 14:01:03

Good stuff, the future is bright!

If I can manage it, I think I'll be dropping my Flash Forward Jam game today! I would feel some measure of appropriateness releasing it the "day after" Flash died.

iu_224752_1405066.jpg

Looking for beta testers if anyone is interested... PM me!

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 14:12:30

Was worried there for a moment, I have downloaded a bunch of submissions, among some that has been removed from the site and when I saw that the NG player was unable to play them anymore, tried first changing the config files but Ng player still don't work but then I tried flash executable and so able to still play them. Damn windows updates..

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 17:27:42

Anybody know how to get flash running on a Raspberry Pi 4

FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE FUCK ADOBE

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 17:43:52

.......................is it still possible to play any flash games w/adobe flash player gone? (because all i get is an error if i still have adobe flash player downloaded and if i try to uninstall it then a blank screen and if i try to reinstall it there's just it saying it's gone.)

Community News

The Best of December were announced last week. $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 19:18:12

You're doing God's work, Tom! Props to the community for their commitment to preservation.

Will there be an option for creators to manually opt in to using Ruffle? All of my Flash games use AS2, but were made after 2006 (all the way up to 2016... man, I am one stubborn bastard). I'd love to save some archiver the trouble of testing them all and just enable Ruffle myself if it's likely to work.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 19:24:16

At 1/13/21 07:18 PM, OrangePylon wrote: Will there be an option for creators to manually opt in to using Ruffle? All of my Flash games use AS2, but were made after 2006 (all the way up to 2016... man, I am one stubborn bastard). I'd love to save some archiver the trouble of testing them all and just enable Ruffle myself if it's likely to work.

If you click the pencil to access your project details, you should see a checkbox under your swf file to enable Ruffle - let me know how it goes!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 19:49:03

At 1/13/21 07:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 07:18 PM, OrangePylon wrote: Will there be an option for creators to manually opt in to using Ruffle? All of my Flash games use AS2, but were made after 2006 (all the way up to 2016... man, I am one stubborn bastard). I'd love to save some archiver the trouble of testing them all and just enable Ruffle myself if it's likely to work.
If you click the pencil to access your project details, you should see a checkbox under your swf file to enable Ruffle - let me know how it goes!

Looked for something like that before posting and still scrolled right by it. Woops.

It worked great! The in-game fullscreen button doesn't seem to work anymore but that's a small price to pay for preservation. I knew working in AS2 10 years past its death would come in handy one day.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 19:50:27

At 1/13/21 02:01 PM, BoMToons wrote: Good stuff, the future is bright!

If I can manage it, I think I'll be dropping my Flash Forward Jam game today! I would feel some measure of appropriateness releasing it the "day after" Flash died.

Looking for beta testers if anyone is interested... PM me!

Pretty looking keyboard work there, not sure about the arrow key placement though, makes me uneasy!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 20:32:47

You can still run most flash games through the sa_flashplayer (StandAlone FlashPlayer) If you can find a download link for it.

Ruffle is great, my flash game works fine in it on a newer computer (far better specs)

https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1491551/preview/filetype/0/emulate/flash

I wish I knew some of those tricks ( like faking/running at a higher frame rate) before flash ended

I won't be able to make a game in time for the flash forward jam (sorry)

At 1/13/21 05:43 PM, froakentoke wrote: .......................is it still possible to play any flash games w/adobe flash player gone? (because all i get is an error if i still have adobe flash player downloaded and if i try to uninstall it then a blank screen and if i try to reinstall it there's just it saying it's gone.)

Community News

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 20:37:41

Just found another way to play flash games again (Titas21 actually found this, props to him)

1.Revert your clock back before Jan 12th (Don't forget to put it back to regular time after using)

2.Enable Flash on your browser

3.Enjoy

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 20:43:02

When I try one of these workarounds, I am forced to go to the Windows App Store to choose an app to open the files. How do I open the files directly? I'm not a programmer. Simply a gamer who loves a good game.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 21:09:14

You can download Ruffle as an add-on for Firefox/Chrome. So far it's been working well for me.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 21:58:36

At 1/13/21 08:43 PM, TheCajunPhoenix wrote: When I try one of these workarounds, I am forced to go to the Windows App Store to choose an app to open the files. How do I open the files directly? I'm not a programmer. Simply a gamer who loves a good game.

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

https://www.adobe.com/products/eula/tools/flashplayer_usage.html

These still work but they're bound by the latter agreement:

You may make copies of a Windows or Macintosh projector that you create using Adobe Flash Professional or Flash Builder and distribute those copies solely for internal use (i) by yourself or personnel within your organization or (ii) by one other party on whose behalf you created the projector.

I was going to make a link off another site, but this works better

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 22:17:34

Tried to get Ruffle and Firefuck blocked it as an unverified plugin, and Windows warns me of it being a not commonly downloaded file.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 22:48:45

Something Similar here. On Firefox and Chrome, it's not working here.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-13 23:05:07

I tried using the configs for the mmc config file, but I didn't have it. Oh well, I'll just wait for some progress on the Flash restoration since I'm not smart at all.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 02:26:02

So, what are the most recent flash projects on the site that I should check out? Assuming that they're Ruffle supported, I might gonna check it out.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 08:32:32

At 1/14/21 02:26 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: So, what are the most recent flash projects on the site that I should check out? Assuming that they're Ruffle supported, I might gonna check it out.

The latest is Type Help, made by @BoMToons for the Flash Forward Jam. It goes deep!

Face It is a pretty recent game made in Flash and working in Ruffle:

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 09:18:54

I got flashplayer standalone 9 and standalone 32 in my alt accounts file dump.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 12:06:57

can you plz give a link to the stand alone flash player (and now there isn't a blank screen but there's a newgrounds flash player where i still can't play the game even if i download it it seems.)

At 1/13/21 08:32 PM, carbonlad wrote: You can still run most flash games through the sa_flashplayer (StandAlone FlashPlayer) If you can find a download link for it.

Ruffle is great, my flash game works fine in it on a newer computer (far better specs)
https://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/1491551/preview/filetype/0/emulate/flash
I wish I knew some of those tricks ( like faking/running at a higher frame rate) before flash ended

I won't be able to make a game in time for the flash forward jam (sorry)

At 1/13/21 05:43 PM, froakentoke wrote: .......................is it still possible to play any flash games w/adobe flash player gone? (because all i get is an error if i still have adobe flash player downloaded and if i try to uninstall it then a blank screen and if i try to reinstall it there's just it saying it's gone.)

Community News

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 12:23:35 (edited 2021-01-14 12:23:44)

Solution: run a windows 7 vm and download newgrounds player since windows 7 is no longer reciving updtates!

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 12:28:33

You are right. Today Microsoft enforced an update to my Windows 8.1 including "security update for Adobe Flash Player". I will be trying to remove it again. @Sonucais - looks like your method will have to be repeated more than once.

Equal medal chances for everyone!

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 12:29:28

At 1/14/21 12:23 PM, kidjamer wrote: Solution: run a windows 7 vm and download newgrounds player since windows 7 is no longer reciving updtates!

Yes, it's a solution but not for everyone.

Response to The End of Flash Day 2 2021-01-14 13:42:25

At 1/14/21 12:28 PM, HerbieG wrote:

You are right. Today Microsoft enforced an update to my Windows 8.1 including "security update for Adobe Flash Player". I will be trying to remove it again. @Sonucais - looks like your method will have to be repeated more than once.

If you do the config file update you shouldn't have to worry about the security updates - had you tried the config file update?

BBS Signature