00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Second Impeachment Attempt

1,363 Views | 101 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 10:50:46

Why do we have to consider american politics like this why does not congress just decide to inaugurate joe biden early I think there's a lot of stuff that needs a reappraisal

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 10:59:05

At 1/10/21 10:50 AM, Yanclae wrote: Why do we have to consider american politics like this why does not congress just decide to inaugurate joe biden early I think there's a lot of stuff that needs a reappraisal

I think that’d be unfair on the people who voted for a Republican government in 2016, as they don’t get a full 4-year term.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 13:37:22

At 1/10/21 10:59 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/10/21 10:50 AM, Yanclae wrote: Why do we have to consider american politics like this why does not congress just decide to inaugurate joe biden early I think there's a lot of stuff that needs a reappraisal
I think that’d be unfair on the people who voted for a Republican government in 2016, as they don’t get a full 4-year term.

bro this is a fucking gay post

are nazis gonna cry about a fucking week?

BBS Signature

Because the constitution has a clear setup for a change in terms. The term of a president ends on noon of the 20th and a new term starts at that point rather it be a continuation of the recent one or a new administration.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 16:09:33

At 1/10/21 01:37 PM, DingleberryClock wrote:
At 1/10/21 10:59 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
bro this is a fucking gay post

are nazis gonna cry about a fucking week?

Yeah, but we are not as bad as the people who trampled over our constitution last Wednesday, and the man who inspired them.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 18:44:10

From what I understand, impeachment, and conviction will prevent him from running again, or holding a federal office. As well as losing various other benefits that come with being a former president, like pension.

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 18:52:33

The US procedure is unflexible to a fault.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 19:06:33

Given the time it takes to perform those procedures, impeachment is pointless now.

What isn't pointless is placing criminal charges on him and potentially arressting him after Jan. 20.

Why am I?

Only president to be impeached twice in the same term! So much winning!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 19:32:10

At 1/10/21 06:44 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: From what I understand, impeachment, and conviction will prevent him from running again, or holding a federal office. As well as losing various other benefits that come with being a former president, like pension.

I think this is why, as I read today, James Clyburn said they aren't going to focus on impeachment in Biden's first 100 days. They want to support him getting his agenda off the ground first before they move onto this (but it ensures these things). Besides, it's less than two weeks now, so considering how much time impeachment takes, I doubt they'll attempt it before then.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 19:37:34

At 1/10/21 07:06 PM, Th-e wrote: Given the time it takes to perform those procedures, impeachment is pointless now.

It can be used so he can never serve a public office ever again, even if it happens after he leaves office.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-10 22:12:19

Remember that time the repubs just had to impeach Clinton right at the end just to be cunts?

That but with nazis

BBS Signature

At 1/10/21 07:32 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
I think this is why, as I read today, James Clyburn said they aren't going to focus on impeachment in Biden's first 100 days. They want to support him getting his agenda off the ground first before they move onto this (but it ensures these things). Besides, it's less than two weeks now, so considering how much time impeachment takes, I doubt they'll attempt it before then.

From the context you're giving you can impeach after someone's out of office can they do that? because he'd be out already.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 01:00:51

At 1/11/21 12:02 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 1/10/21 07:32 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
From the context you're giving you can impeach after someone's out of office can they do that? because he'd be out already.

I believe that the House will fast track it and vote on it this Friday, though it's unlikely to pass the Senate - though many Republican rather he resign.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 02:51:16

At 1/11/21 01:00 AM, EdyKel wrote: I believe that the House will fast track it and vote on it this Friday, though it's unlikely to pass the Senate - though many Republican rather he resign.

is it possible to do the initiate the procedure before he leaves office and impeach Post Hoc after leaving office since it was already initiated while still in office? or is this new territory in the unprecedented? I like that I pride myself in being well informed on the constitution and laws that come with it, but i'm not exactly a constitutional scholar or lawyer who lives and breathes this stuff I'm just above average the normal American.

I feel like trying to impeach Trump is just gonna further enflame tensions in the country, so I hope it's just the Dems wanting to flex and project strength at the moment, but they don't actually go through with it.

They would be better served trying to get done what they can get done, instead of going for petty revenge.

I also hope that once Trump is out of office, everything will calm the fuck down. I don't really understand it, but people have EXTREME reactions to Trump. There's so many people who despise him to the very fiber of their being, or who love him and are completely devoted to him.

I also hope that the Covid vaccine comes on so society can start getting back to normal again, and people can go to work. I think all that's a big factor in people being crazy lately.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 04:42:55

At 1/11/21 03:15 AM, Zymbot wrote: I feel like trying to impeach Trump is just gonna further enflame tensions in the country, so I hope it's just the Dems wanting to flex and project strength at the moment, but they don't actually go through with it.

They would be better served trying to get done what they can get done, instead of going for petty revenge.

The problem is that a president incited an insurrection just because he couldn't except that he lost the election. If repercussions are not dealt out then any future president or candidate can do so and point back and say "nothing was done about it then so why should it now". This isn't petty revenge, something has to be done about this or it will send precedent that presidents can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Fanfiction Page

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 06:04:22

At 1/11/21 03:15 AM, Zymbot wrote: I feel like trying to impeach Trump is just gonna further enflame tensions in the country, so I hope it's just the Dems wanting to flex and project strength at the moment, but they don't actually go through with it.

I also hope that once Trump is out of office, everything will calm the fuck down. I don't really understand it, but people have EXTREME reactions to Trump. There's so many people who despise him to the very fiber of their being, or who love him and are completely devoted to him.

I also hope that the Covid vaccine comes on so society can start getting back to normal again, and people can go to work. I think all that's a big factor in people being crazy lately.

I feel like it's setting a reeeeally bad precedent if nothing happens. This was an armed insurrection of the capitol that killed 5 people, including a police officer, directly organized and enflamed by a sitting president. I wouldn't call impeachment 'petty revenge' either, I'd call it accountability.

Agreed that there doesn't seem to be the votes in the senate to impeach, so it would be a symbolic gesture at this point. Although personally I think that Trump getting the label of 'only twice impeached president' sounds quite nice.

Just because the Republicans will never put country over party doesn't mean the Dems shouldn't at least try and maintain some level of accountability. And frankly there needs to be some soul searching amongst Republicans post-Trump as to what the hell they have let happen to their party? What does a man have to do to get impeached? How have they got to a place where they're okay with this sort of behaviour?

Agree with your last paragraph.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 08:18:29

If inciting a storm on the freaking capitol isn't a reason for impeachment, I don't know what is (apart from adultery in the Oval Office, of course).

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 09:40:03

The articles of impeachment can prevent him from ever running for public office again.

He's got a fucking army of retards, it NEEDS to happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 13:09:32

At 1/11/21 02:51 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 1/11/21 01:00 AM, EdyKel wrote: I believe that the House will fast track it and vote on it this Friday, though it's unlikely to pass the Senate - though many Republican rather he resign.
is it possible to do the initiate the procedure before he leaves office and impeach Post Hoc after leaving office since it was already initiated while still in office? or is this new territory in the unprecedented? I like that I pride myself in being well informed on the constitution and laws that come with it, but i'm not exactly a constitutional scholar or lawyer who lives and breathes this stuff I'm just above average the normal American.

According to one article I just read, they could still impeach him after he leaves office. There is some precedent where Congress did try to impeach a government official in President Grant's administration, who resigned, but the process still went on after some discussion - though, he was ultimately acquitted. Based on this precedent, once the Impeachment process begins, when they are still in office, regardless if they leave after, the process still continues.

Though, given the fact that the Senate is changing hands on Jan 20th, and the Republican controlled Senate will most likely torpedo it to try and still stay in favor with Trump's base, the House may delay giving the articles of impeachment to the Senate until Democrats control it.

At 1/11/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote: According to one article I just read, they could still impeach him after he leaves office. There is some precedent where Congress did try to impeach a government official in President Grant's administration, who resigned, but the process still went on after some discussion - though, he was ultimately acquitted. Based on this precedent, once the Impeachment process begins, when they are still in office, regardless if they leave after, the process still continues.

Though, given the fact that the Senate is changing hands on Jan 20th, and the Republican controlled Senate will most likely torpedo it to try and still stay in favor with Trump's base, the House may delay giving the articles of impeachment to the Senate until Democrats control it.

Even though the Senate is more likely to impeach Trump after Biden is inaugurated, I’m sure Republicans could frame it as a way of Democrats forcibly denying a candidate for the 2024 presidential race.

I’ve heard it suggested that encouraging an impeachment before Biden’s inauguration (even if it doesn’t go through) does underline whether the Republican senators who have condemned the events at the Capitol are also capable of supporting Trump or stabbing him in the back, while he remains in power.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 13:30:39

At 1/11/21 08:18 AM, Haggard wrote: (apart from adultery in the Oval Office, of course).

In France, it's basically expected. In America, it's treated as worse than actual high treason.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 14:29:37

At 1/11/21 01:25 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/11/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote: According to one article I just read, they could still impeach him after he leaves office. There is some precedent where Congress did try to impeach a government official in President Grant's administration, who resigned, but the process still went on after some discussion - though, he was ultimately acquitted. Based on this precedent, once the Impeachment process begins, when they are still in office, regardless if they leave after, the process still continues.

Even though the Senate is more likely to impeach Trump after Biden is inaugurated, I’m sure Republicans could frame it as a way of Democrats forcibly denying a candidate for the 2024 presidential race.

I’ve heard it suggested that encouraging an impeachment before Biden’s inauguration (even if it doesn’t go through) does underline whether the Republican senators who have condemned the events at the Capitol are also capable of supporting Trump or stabbing him in the back, while he remains in power.

There was an interesting article by a former Republican Congressman who said all of this was foreseeable since the tea party movement. He's basically saying that Republicans have a painful choice to consider that will determine the path of the party and the country.

Oh, that my party had taken a path illuminated by truth rather than one darkened by useless conspiracy theories. Oh, that my party had chosen more leaders of character willing to speak truth to our own people. Oh, that we might learn from our mistakes and bear the fruit of repentance.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 15:27:34

At 1/11/21 04:42 AM, LordJaric wrote:

The problem is that a president incited an insurrection just because he couldn't except that he lost the election. If repercussions are not dealt out then any future president or candidate can do so and point back and say "nothing was done about it then so why should it now". This isn't petty revenge, something has to be done about this or it will send precedent that presidents can do whatever they want and get away with it.

Give me an a quote where he calls for a non-peaceful gathering/protest. He told them to go home after they became violent.

At 1/11/21 03:27 PM, UncleLad wrote:
At 1/11/21 04:42 AM, LordJaric wrote:

Give me an a quote where he calls for a non-peaceful gathering/protest. He told them to go home after they became violent.

Sure, after he promoted the event on that day, and after he egged them on to fight on to overturn the results, and after federal forces were sent to quell the insurrection - and he still kept promoting that the election was stolen from him as he was telling them to go home, and seemed to have tried to justify their actions later in another tweet.

And to save time:

A look back at Trump comments perceived by some as inciting violence.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 15:55:23

At 1/11/21 12:02 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: From the context you're giving you can impeach after someone's out of office can they do that? because he'd be out already.

From everything I've read, apparently yes.

At 1/11/21 08:18 AM, Haggard wrote: If inciting a storm on the freaking capitol isn't a reason for impeachment, I don't know what is (apart from adultery in the Oval Office, of course).

Really Clinton committed perjury and the whole 'adultery' thing was the president of the USA taking advantage of an intern in his employ and who he was in a position of power over, when she was 23 and he was 50. I mean it's not quite as bad as what Trump did but he still deserves to have the shit kicked out of him. And you'd have to squint pretty hard to think he didn't commit perjury - a crime that if you or I committed, we'd be in real big trouble.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 22:17:50

At 1/11/21 01:09 PM, EdyKel wrote: Though, given the fact that the Senate is changing hands on Jan 20th, and the Republican controlled Senate will most likely torpedo it to try and still stay in favor with Trump's base, the House may delay giving the articles of impeachment to the Senate until Democrats control it.

IIRC this is what Clyburn said he wanted to do, but it's up to Pelosi, and she's not exactly a master strategist. IMO Clyburn is in the right here.

Response to Second Impeachment Attempt 2021-01-11 23:18:32

At 1/10/21 07:37 PM, LordJaric wrote:
At 1/10/21 07:06 PM, Th-e wrote: Given the time it takes to perform those procedures, impeachment is pointless now.
It can be used so he can never serve a public office ever again, even if it happens after he leaves office.

No, it can't. A separate vote is required for that. A conviction by the Senate could take away his pension though...

Why am I?