00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Apple threatens to take down Parler

600 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So tomorrow Parler is gonna be gone if it doesn't change it's rules. For those who don't know parler, it's basically very similar to Twitter but with free speech. Currently their rules is to have nothing illegal on there and no spam.

So I guess all the CEOs and Big Tech and Media are gonna have control of what can and can't be said online.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 04:24:10


was likely just a matter of time. most social media platforms aren't even pretending they're not censoring things and favoring certain political views anymore.


heck, youtube's been getting increasingly censorious for quite some time now and not long ago they made a rule change to where they're now hitting comments.


speaking of...it was not "toxic comments" i got banned for after this rule change. last few people i replied to were leftists and they were doing the usual insulting and taunting but i guess that's not considered toxic if you support the same politics the platform does.


best start watching what you say and do on social media because free speech is no longer allowed and it's only hate speech if you show dissent towards the platform's supported political views and/or agenda. and they're not hiding the change or pretending that's not the case anymore.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 04:59:56


At 1/9/21 01:53 AM, UncleLad wrote: Twitter but with free speech.


Google said the app had failed to remove posts inciting violence.


Currently their rules is to have nothing illegal on there and no spam.


As major platforms began taking action against viral conspiracy theories, disinformation and the harassment of election workers and officials in the aftermath of the US presidential vote, the app became more popular with elements of the fringe far-right.


In the days preceding the Capitol riots, the tone of discussion on the app became significantly more violent, with some users openly discussing ways to stop the certification of Joe Biden's victory by Congress.


Unsubstantiated allegations and defamatory claims against a number of senior US figures such as Chief Justice John Roberts and Vice-President Mike Pence were rife on the app.


So I guess all the CEOs and Big Tech and Media are gonna have control of what can and can't be said online.


AKA Parler was used to incite the violence at Capitol Hill, and Apple / Google have made the call it's bad for their image to allow it on their app stores. As all the fringe-right free market sycophants would surely agree, a private company should have the freedom to protect their bottom line right?


Remember the week after the election where Twitter / Facebook were flagging 'this claim is disputed' and removing all that false content off their platforms? None of that happening on Parler. It's a conspiratorial right wing safe space.


BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 05:28:55


At 1/9/21 01:53 AM, UncleLad wrote: So tomorrow Parler is gonna be gone if it doesn't change it's rules. For those who don't know parler, it's basically very similar to Twitter but with free speech. Currently their rules is to have nothing illegal on there and no spam.
So I guess all the CEOs and Big Tech and Media are gonna have control of what can and can't be said online.


OP doesn't know what free speech means.


A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want, just as if I invited you over to my house, you don't have the freedom to say what you want in my house, if I don't like the shit you are saying, I'll tell you to leave, and that is my right. Twitter, Apple, etc are in their rights to kick someone off their platform if that person goes against the established rules of that place, when you signup, or put your app on a store, you agree to a set number of terms, if you go against them, that's on you.


There are also laws in various countries that make some forms of speech not free, like hate speech, or speech which may harm another person such as defamation, or speech that encourages harm on others. There are many exceptions, even in the real world, outside of the echo chambers of Parler or Twitter. Free speech is designed to protect you when criticizing a government, or whistleblowing, it doesn't give you a blank cheque to say what you want.


Finally, here's a link to Amnesty Internation (which might be too left wing for you) on the topic of free speech - https://www.amnesty.org.uk/free-speech-freedom-expression-human-right


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 08:37:32


This is just going to make things worse, can't complain though the USA has been destablising other countries for years see how you bloody like it.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 09:55:10


Oh and Parler's not going anywhere either. You'll still be able to visit it on your browser. Android and iPhone are no longer offering the app.


There's a discussion to be had about whether or not Big Tech has a duty to support free speech, and whether there are monopolies that need breaking up, whether the right for private organisations to control the speech on their platforms needs looking into when the overwhelming majority of online 'publishing' is done by just a handful of companies.


Really, this is not too different to arguments that might've been made in the pre-digital age, when people would've been concerned about a handful of media barons controlling the overwhelming majority of publishing. It might feel a bit more vital at the moment because we're all 'content creators' or 'journalists' nowadays. But before Facebook and Twitter ever existed, if I wanted everyone to hear about my political theories, the simplest way would be to go through a handful of billionaires.


So perhaps 'free speech' was always a big load of bollocks. Like perhaps we've largely always been free from getting arrested for speaking, but powerful organisations censoring speech and only permitting the widespread dissemination of speech that they support must pre-date the printing press.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 11:54:05


At 1/9/21 01:53 AM, UncleLad wrote: So tomorrow Parler is gonna be gone if it doesn't change it's rules. For those who don't know parler, it's basically very similar to Twitter but with free speech.


man, you are just telling on yourself


what's next, is atomwaffen's website gonna just be a cool place where real americans hang out?


Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 15:01:47


At 1/9/21 09:55 AM, Earfetish wrote: There's a discussion to be had about whether or not Big Tech has a duty to support free speech, and whether there are monopolies that need breaking up, whether the right for private organisations to control the speech on their platforms needs looking into when the overwhelming majority of online 'publishing' is done by just a handful of companies.


I don't think big tech has a duty to honour free speech, the press don't, infact the press enjoy something called "Freedom of the Press", which is supposed to protect the press from censorship, or persecution by the state. Many, if not all, news outlets have various bias's one way or the other, I don't think just reporting the facts gets as much of an audiance.


But I mean, Twitter hasn't really been authoritarian on speech, there are a lot of extream voices that are allowed on the platform, and continue to be, it's just when they get too extream is the issue, or when people just keep pushing and pushing.


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 16:28:54


Twitter is a company owned website, a ban on any such website doesn't affect your freedom of speech in any way. Trump can still state his opinion in any way he wants. A ban on Twitter doesn't change that fact.


But it's funny how conservatives now act all upset but were completely fine with Trumps attacks on the Freedom of the Press AND the Freedom of Speech for years. But now that Trump finally gets banned (and let's face it, EVERYONE ELSE would have been banned years ago if they tweeted the same stuff. In fact, the account @UnfollowTrump got banned multiple times even though it only retweets Trump) they all scream bloody murder.


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 17:09:47


At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want


translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.


the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 17:17:39


At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.


Correction: Your rights end when companies tell you they end, which is what many conservative news companies are currently telling you right now - all to manipulate your emotions and distract you from that hypocrisy.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 17:51:09


At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.


Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.


There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.


Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.


Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 19:17:26


At 1/9/21 05:51 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.
Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.

There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.

Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.

Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.


except it's not a strawman. it's the implication everyone who says things like that to protect and defend companies use all the time.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 19:19:07


At 1/9/21 07:17 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:51 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.
Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.

There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.

Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.

Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.
except it's not a strawman. it's the implication everyone who says things like that to protect and defend companies use all the time.


It's not an argument I made though is it.


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 19:37:40


At 1/9/21 08:37 AM, Forty-Eight wrote: This is just going to make things worse, can't complain though the USA has been destablising other countries for years see how you bloody like it.


"Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the US government's latest coup had to be held locally. More as this story develops."?


I put an african elephant in my fridge but I don't know how to get it out...

I'm usually over here.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-09 23:59:17


Amazon and Apple have both dropped Parler.


Amazon did web hosting, so with their move, meaning Parler will go offline without a new host.


Clearly, defending Trump or his allies at this point can no longer be tolerated.


Why am I?

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 01:05:07


Go back to Stormfront, pointy-hat.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

It's pretty hard when Big tech doesn't like competition you got the big socials like Twitter and Facebook, ones like Gab and Parler come along they get hit from hosting services and and payment processors, try to set up your own hosting and network or payment processor and they'll try squashing you.

You can count one hand the big tier 1 and 2 hosting services and the the other hand with payment processors, And I haven't even gotten to app stores yet.

Luckily Parler and Gab and some other fringes are looking into Blockchain tech where when you use it your actively contributing to the network and using distributed computing using volunteered resources, and the best part its almost completely anonymous!

Using block chain and distributed resources on top of on-site systems can fix their hosting problem without needing to use AWS from Amazon. Though if they got blacklisted from payment processors they could start up their own but it would be difficult but not too costly.


Cancel culture is cancer.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 12:34:42


At 1/9/21 04:24 AM, treos2 wrote: was likely just a matter of time. most social media platforms aren't even pretending they're not censoring things and favoring certain political views anymore.


Getting a case of deja vu to 1931 in Germany, huh?


I wonder if they never learned to 'avoid threatening a desperate man', or if they're just basically inciting violence at this point.


I put an african elephant in my fridge but I don't know how to get it out...

I'm usually over here.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 13:41:38


At 1/10/21 12:34 PM, Yomuchan wrote:
At 1/9/21 04:24 AM, treos2 wrote: was likely just a matter of time. most social media platforms aren't even pretending they're not censoring things and favoring certain political views anymore.
Getting a case of deja vu to 1931 in Germany, huh?

I wonder if they never learned to 'avoid threatening a desperate man', or if they're just basically inciting violence at this point.


leftists have been doing that for 4 years, non-stop.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 17:21:57


At 1/9/21 01:53 AM, UncleLad wrote: So tomorrow Parler is gonna be gone if it doesn't change it's rules. For those who don't know parler, it's basically very similar to Twitter but with free speech. Currently their rules is to have nothing illegal on there and no spam.
So I guess all the CEOs and Big Tech and Media are gonna have control of what can and can't be said online.


free speech nowadays is fantasy. Im not really informed if any free speech affect private companies like twitter and facebook, but in the modern world there definitely should be. Thats basically how we communicate nowadays.


Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 18:45:07


At 1/10/21 12:34 PM, Yomuchan wrote:
At 1/9/21 04:24 AM, treos2 wrote: was likely just a matter of time. most social media platforms aren't even pretending they're not censoring things and favoring certain political views anymore.
Getting a case of deja vu to 1931 in Germany, huh?

I wonder if they never learned to 'avoid threatening a desperate man', or if they're just basically inciting violence at this point.


Ever watch the movie Falling Down? It's become very relevant nowadays.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 18:50:29


At 1/9/21 03:01 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: I don't think big tech has a duty to honour free speech.

It does if it is a public forum. It claims to be, but acts more like a publisher, and therefore should lose any benefit of being a public forum.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 18:52:29


At 1/10/21 01:05 AM, Gimmick wrote: Go back to Stormfront, pointy-hat.


The fallacy of labeling all who disagree with you in such a way to make their opinion invalid.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 19:04:51


At 1/10/21 06:50 PM, UncleLad wrote:
At 1/9/21 03:01 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: I don't think big tech has a duty to honour free speech.
It does if it is a public forum. It claims to be, but acts more like a publisher, and therefore should lose any benefit of being a public forum.


If it's not acceptable at your local park, it's not going to be acceptable on Twitter, infact, I would say you have more freedom to say what you want on Twitter than at your local park, and a park is a public forum.


The other problem is the false concern over free speech, many who claim free speech is being eroded is more a case of "my speech is being eroded", they don't care about people who don't share their views. You get people crying about free speech when websites censor the N-word, or getting mad because women speak up wanting more rights, they aren't interested in the speech, or rights of others, only their own.


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-10 19:06:57


At 1/10/21 06:52 PM, UncleLad wrote:
At 1/10/21 01:05 AM, Gimmick wrote: Go back to Stormfront, pointy-hat.
The fallacy of labeling all who disagree with you in such a way to make their opinion invalid.


I don't give a fuck; you're a fucking white supremacist who belongs on Stormfront.

Get lost, pointy-hat.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-11 08:15:37


At 1/9/21 07:17 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:51 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.
Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.

There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.

Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.

Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.
except it's not a strawman. it's the implication everyone who says things like that to protect and defend companies use all the time.


You know, when you sign up to sites like Twitter, Facebook, Newgrounds, any site, you have to agree to that site's TOS, right? And if you violate those TOS, any site has the right to ban you. Everyone has a choice who they want to have as a user, and every hosting company has the right to decide who they want to do business with or don't want to do business with.


It's so funny how right-wingers always advertise that "the market regulates everything" and that "capitalism is good" and that "big companies are good", but once it goes against their views they start crying about censorship (please look up that word before you use it) and how their freedom of speech is violated (it's not).


Trump violated Twitter's TOS on multiple occasions (proven by the fact that usere who said the exact same thing got banned), he used the platform to spread misinformation (not ONE single proof of a "stolen election" has been brought up) and to inflame his followers. No wonder that no company wants anything to do with those.


This isn't "cancel culture" (whatever that should even mean in this context), this is the logical consequence of everything that until a few weeks ago every right-winger held in the highest regards.


Don't like it? Well, you are free to built up your own hosting service. It's a free market, after all.


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-11 09:33:08


At 1/11/21 08:15 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 1/9/21 07:17 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:51 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.
Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.

There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.

Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.

Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.
except it's not a strawman. it's the implication everyone who says things like that to protect and defend companies use all the time.
You know, when you sign up to sites like Twitter, Facebook, Newgrounds, any site, you have to agree to that site's TOS, right? And if you violate those TOS, any site has the right to ban you. Everyone has a choice who they want to have as a user, and every hosting company has the right to decide who they want to do business with or don't want to do business with.

It's so funny how right-wingers always advertise that "the market regulates everything" and that "capitalism is good" and that "big companies are good", but once it goes against their views they start crying about censorship (please look up that word before you use it) and how their freedom of speech is violated (it's not).

Trump violated Twitter's TOS on multiple occasions (proven by the fact that usere who said the exact same thing got banned), he used the platform to spread misinformation (not ONE single proof of a "stolen election" has been brought up) and to inflame his followers. No wonder that no company wants anything to do with those.

This isn't "cancel culture" (whatever that should even mean in this context), this is the logical consequence of everything that until a few weeks ago every right-winger held in the highest regards.

Don't like it? Well, you are free to built up your own hosting service. It's a free market, after all.


i'm not a right winger. i don't take sides in politics.


"Trump violated Twitter's TOS on multiple occasions"


no...youtube has been censoring things for years. twitter and facebook simply stopped being sneaky about it as time went on last year. now, twitter doesn't even try to hide the fact at all.


"he used the platform to spread misinformation (not ONE single proof of a "stolen election" has been brought up)"


no, THIS is misinformation. ballot harvesting, ballot stuffing, digital vote manipulation. there's evidence and proof all of it happened along with many witnesses but no...all ignored. because it doesn't fit the political narrative.


hell, project veritas has numerous videos of ballot harvesters outright ADMITTING that they know what they were doing at the time was illegal but they did it anyway cause someone paid them to do it.


yeah, sure, you TOTALLY can't access those dominion voting machines easily via the internet...except you CAN.


ballot stuffing...i wonder why they weren't letting anyone observe the counting...or why they had those suitcases of ballots under the table...or why they were running the same votes through those dominion machines multiples times per vote...


but yeah, you're right. none of that happened and there's no evidence of any of it...right, project veritas?


what pisses me off the most about this election isn't the right/left wing BS. it's that all the evidence and proof of voter fraud that DOES exist is being purposefully ignored and lied about constantly.


fair and honest election? lol democrats were cheating like it was going out of style in 2020 and everyone knows it. it's just the left continues to lie about it and try to sweep it under the rug but in reality, it really wasn't any different than any other election year. oh yes, i remember how the democrats cheated like crazy in 2016. only difference is this time the courts all chose to overlook the cheating and evidence of it.


if you think there was no voter fraud or that the 2020 presidential election wasn't stolen through criminal means then you're just willfully ignorant and are purposefully ignoring the facts because they don't fit your political narrative.


"This isn't "cancel culture" (whatever that should even mean in this context), this is the logical consequence of everything that until a few weeks ago every right-winger held in the highest regards."


no, it's not cancel culture, that happened the other day when an 18-year old girl turned her own family into the FBI for being "terrorists".


it's the same kind of unpersoning that happened to alex jones where all social media blacklisted him and soon trump will likely be facing trouble with payment processors in regards to money. can't get much more blatant than that kind of censorship.


which you probably support.

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-11 14:28:24


At 1/11/21 09:33 AM, treos2 wrote: i'm not a right winger. i don't take sides in politics.


Might as well just admit that you are right-winged, dude.


"Trump violated Twitter's TOS on multiple occasions"

no...


Yes.


youtube has been censoring things for years. twitter and facebook simply stopped being sneaky about it as time went on last year. now, twitter doesn't even try to hide the fact at all.


Again, it's their platform, they can do whatever the fuck they want with it. If you don't like it, seek out another platform or build your own.


"he used the platform to spread misinformation (not ONE single proof of a "stolen election" has been brought up)"

no, THIS is misinformation. ballot harvesting, ballot stuffing, digital vote manipulation. there's evidence and proof all of it happened along with many witnesses but no...all ignored. because it doesn't fit the political narrative.


Says he, but doesn't bring up a single proof. How ironic. :)


no, it's not cancel culture, that happened the other day when an 18-year old girl turned her own family into the FBI for being "terrorists".


Oh, you mean like the other day when I was walking on the moon. Yeah, it totally happened and it's true because I just said it and that means you have to totally believe me, because it's true.


Dude, you are so bad at this, it's not even funny. Come back when you can provide real evidence. Thanks.


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Apple threatens to take down Parler 2021-01-11 15:15:13


At 1/11/21 08:15 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 1/9/21 07:17 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:51 PM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:09 PM, treos2 wrote:
At 1/9/21 05:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote: A private company isn't required to give it's users freedom to say what they want
translation: your rights end where the rights of a company begin.

the rights and well being of companies are always put above that of those using said companies platforms. and if you dare speak out against this you'll be met with people chanting the "it's a private company, it can do whatever it wants" mantra.
Nice strawman you have there, mind if I borrow it? At no point did I say a private company can do whatever it wants, nor did I say your rights end where the rights of a company begin. You are attributing arguments to me that I didn't make.

There are laws, such as consumer regulations which are designed to protect a customer from a company, there are workplace regulations to protect employees, there are laws against modern day slavery, I could go on, and on, but I don't think you are interested.

Yes, more protections could be put in place, but telling a company what speech to allow/disallow is not a protection, it is authoritarian. No government legislated against Twitter because of Trumps account, governments have legislated what counts as hate speech online, but that is seperate to Twitter. Turkey might say that if you promote the Arminian Genocide as fact on Twitter, you'll be locked up, but that's not a Twitter policy, that's a Turkey policy.

Again, when you sign up to a platform, you agree to their rules, just as if I ever invited you to my house. My house is private, your rights don't end where my house begins.
except it's not a strawman. it's the implication everyone who says things like that to protect and defend companies use all the time.
You know, when you sign up to sites like Twitter, Facebook, Newgrounds, any site, you have to agree to that site's TOS, right? And if you violate those TOS, any site has the right to ban you. Everyone has a choice who they want to have as a user, and every hosting company has the right to decide who they want to do business with or don't want to do business with.

It's so funny how right-wingers always advertise that "the market regulates everything" and that "capitalism is good" and that "big companies are good", but once it goes against their views they start crying about censorship (please look up that word before you use it) and how their freedom of speech is violated (it's not).

Trump violated Twitter's TOS on multiple occasions (proven by the fact that usere who said the exact same thing got banned), he used the platform to spread misinformation (not ONE single proof of a "stolen election" has been brought up) and to inflame his followers. No wonder that no company wants anything to do with those.

This isn't "cancel culture" (whatever that should even mean in this context), this is the logical consequence of everything that until a few weeks ago every right-winger held in the highest regards.

Don't like it? Well, you are free to built up your own hosting service. It's a free market, after all.


But if it's a public forum, they should not be able to do that. That is why they bear no responsibility for the content that is on there. But if they control what is on their site, then yes, they should lose all benefits and just become another publisher if that's the case.