00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle

941 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-13 01:21:12

At 1/12/21 11:47 AM, joshexdirad wrote: good job on firefox.

for the macbook, remove the addon from your browsers, uninstall through your OS's control panel/whatever it's called in mac, go to achive.org, use the waybackmachine to get adobe.com from a year or so ago. go to the archived old versions page, download the .zip for version 31. unzip, Go OFFLINE, NO INTERNET!, open the full offline mac installer. congrats you have flash version 31.

for VLC, you'll need a version of VLC that comes with a browser addon in the installer. select it during install to use it. but the best option is to just downgrade your browser and send complaint emails to webmasters who upgrade to chrometml, tell them "your website does not work with older browsers, I cannot buy your products." if enough people do this we can kill chrome and thus save the internet for flash enabled browsers.

Thanks, I got the last version sans killswitch working in both Firefox and Safari on Mac. The catch is ruffle is temperamental on my outdated browser versions, and tracking the flash versions of ruffle enabled flash content down on the ungrounded source page is tedious and triggers the site based restrictions on some movies/games (certain episodes of Brackenwood and Castle come to mind).

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-13 20:11:28

At 1/13/21 01:21 AM, Peruraptor wrote:
At 1/12/21 11:47 AM, joshexdirad wrote: good job on firefox.

for the macbook, remove the addon from your browsers, uninstall through your OS's control panel/whatever it's called in mac, go to achive.org, use the waybackmachine to get adobe.com from a year or so ago. go to the archived old versions page, download the .zip for version 31. unzip, Go OFFLINE, NO INTERNET!, open the full offline mac installer. congrats you have flash version 31.

for VLC, you'll need a version of VLC that comes with a browser addon in the installer. select it during install to use it. but the best option is to just downgrade your browser and send complaint emails to webmasters who upgrade to chrometml, tell them "your website does not work with older browsers, I cannot buy your products." if enough people do this we can kill chrome and thus save the internet for flash enabled browsers.
Thanks, I got the last version sans killswitch working in both Firefox and Safari on Mac. The catch is ruffle is temperamental on my outdated browser versions, and tracking the flash versions of ruffle enabled flash content down on the ungrounded source page is tedious and triggers the site based restrictions on some movies/games (certain episodes of Brackenwood and Castle come to mind).

I keep 1 somewhat uptodate (upgrade when I absolutely have to for functionality of a site I use or need to use regularly) browser. then keep outdated versions of others which support flash, thatway no matter what I have an option.

if you have flashplayer 31 installed and it's not blocked, you can disable ruffle, if 2 programs both try to be the preferred method for opening a file type there can be conflict issues. don't remove ruffle mind you, keep it around as a backup just in case. disable one and use the other.

do I need to do anything else other than installing the VLC plugin to run flash with it? because that isn't working for me...

that awkward moment when, days after the fact, you notice that THE Tom replied to your post but you didn't know how to behave, so you just try to act naturally and hope this is the right response xP

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 13:23:14

At 1/14/21 02:32 AM, OnixDark wrote: do I need to do anything else other than installing the VLC plugin to run flash with it? because that isn't working for me...

that awkward moment when, days after the fact, you notice that THE Tom replied to your post but you didn't know how to behave, so you just try to act naturally and hope this is the right response xP

you need the following:

1: flashplayer 31 or lower!

2: VLC Web addon

3: Flashplayer set to "ask to activate" (if the browser refuses to show it VLC attempts to run SWF files instead)

4: VLC Web addon set to "Ask to activate" (it triggers flashplayer to run the file instead of VLC)

if you followed these steps and it does not work, either something in that chain of instructions was not done right, or it may not work for that browser.

For example chrome only allows extensions not addons so the "open in VLC" extension does not work at all for game SWFs. so for that case google chrome cannot do these 4 steps.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 13:44:06

At 1/9/21 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/9/21 08:43 AM, OnixDark wrote: I guess we'll have to wait 3 more days to know for sure, though...
Was gonna say this - Flash is actually still working in Chrome and other browsers until the 12th, so we'll have to wait and see what happens next there.

HI. um.. you guys removed the flash wrappers on all the game pages and only give the option to open it in the newgrounds player outside the webbrowser again... please provide both wrappers flash SWFobject() and

[CDATA[
		var embed_controller = new embedController([{

double checked flash still works on other sites.

please provide both options.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 15:10:03

At 1/14/21 01:44 PM, joshexdirad wrote: HI. um.. you guys removed the flash wrappers on all the game pages and only give the option to open it in the newgrounds player outside the webbrowser again... please provide both wrappers flash SWFobject() and

Go to your account options page and disable the toggle for using NG Player - does the Flash embed work after you disable it? We made some changes today where NG Player is now the default and traditional Flash embeds are the choice, where before it had been the opposite.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 15:20:35

At 1/14/21 03:10 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/14/21 01:44 PM, joshexdirad wrote: HI. um.. you guys removed the flash wrappers on all the game pages and only give the option to open it in the newgrounds player outside the webbrowser again... please provide both wrappers flash SWFobject() and
Go to your account options page and disable the toggle for using NG Player - does the Flash embed work after you disable it? We made some changes today where NG Player is now the default and traditional Flash embeds are the choice, where before it had been the opposite.

Thanks! yes that fixed it! great work!

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 17:34:07

At 1/14/21 01:23 PM, joshexdirad wrote:
At 1/14/21 02:32 AM, OnixDark wrote: do I need to do anything else other than installing the VLC plugin to run flash with it? because that isn't working for me...

you need the following:
3: Flashplayer set to "ask to activate" (if the browser refuses to show it VLC attempts to run SWF files instead)
4: VLC Web addon set to "Ask to activate" (it triggers flashplayer to run the file instead of VLC)

if you followed these steps and it does not work, either something in that chain of instructions was not done right, or it may not work for that browser.

For example chrome only allows extensions not addons so the "open in VLC" extension does not work at all for game SWFs. so for that case google chrome cannot do these 4 steps.

oh. my flashplayer is 32, so it looks like I'll have to downdate... I'm using waterfox by the way and it has flash set to "ask to activate" (but was always activating before the kill switch) and VLC set to "always activate"

well, time to go back to Sonucais' post and hope for the best. wish me good luck...

(before anybody asks: there are a few other sites I use that still have a few important AS3 flash elements)

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-14 19:05:30

At 1/14/21 05:34 PM, OnixDark wrote:

you need the following:

oh. my flashplayer is 32, so it looks like I'll have to downdate... I'm using waterfox by the way and it has flash set to "ask to activate" (but was always activating before the kill switch) and VLC set to "always activate"
well, time to go back to Sonucais' post and hope for the best. wish me good luck...
(before anybody asks: there are a few other sites I use that still have a few important AS3 flash elements)

yeah, 32 is self-locked/self-deactivated 31 and lower are confirmed to not have a self deactivation killswitch. I have 31.0.0.153. I think version 32 only had some minor bug fixes or something, if I remember correctly the only listed changes were they added a "security update" which I'm guessing was the kill switch and otherwise 31 was identical.

At 1/14/21 07:05 PM, joshexdirad wrote:

you need the following:

yeah, 32 is self-locked/self-deactivated 31 and lower are confirmed to not have a self deactivation killswitch. I have 31.0.0.153. I think version 32 only had some minor bug fixes or something, if I remember correctly the only listed changes were they added a "security update" which I'm guessing was the kill switch and otherwise 31 was identical.

Even 32 doesn't have the killswitch on the .330 version and prior (I'm running the latter and it works alright). Can you set the built in Newgrounds ruffle player to not activate as well, or can you only disable the version you've added to the browser?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-15 07:56:18

did you guys have to downdate or did you stop updating in time? I'm trying to download the installer, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the right file...

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-15 10:53:38

At 1/14/21 10:07 PM, Peruraptor wrote:
At 1/14/21 07:05 PM, joshexdirad wrote:

you need the following:

Even 32 doesn't have the killswitch on the .330 version and prior (I'm running the latter and it works alright). Can you set the built in Newgrounds ruffle player to not activate as well, or can you only disable the version you've added to the browser?

I was just told yesterday by staff here that it's under options in your newgrounds account. just disable newgrounds player as the default option in your settings.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-15 10:57:20

At 1/15/21 07:56 AM, OnixDark wrote: did you guys have to downdate or did you stop updating in time? I'm trying to download the installer, but I'm not sure if I'm getting the right file...

I downgraded way back when mozilla forced an update to a firefox that kicked off all my precious addons. as for flash player, I had tried 32 but downgraded when I found out it was causing graphics errors in flashgames on 64bit machines.