00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle

949 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

the headline says it all. VLC media player comes with an optional browser addon which is for playing movie files better than windows or microsoft media player addons will.

I had forgotten that it played swf files. I openned my newest browser and decided to see if flashplayer was there, the answer was I had never installed it on that browser. but flash games were still loading. because I had VLC media player's addon installed.

not only that it installs in all browsers new and old and plays swf games better than ruffle. not perfect, some loader bars don't work (ninja kiwi). but many do. I have yet to test more complicated games in it to see where it's functionality fails.

but yeah, so there is hope because no newer browsers block vlc media player from being installed or running.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 07:05:25

At 1/7/21 10:18 AM, joshexdirad wrote: the headline says it all. VLC media player comes with an optional browser addon which is for playing movie files better than windows or microsoft media player addons will.

I had forgotten that it played swf files. I openned my newest browser and decided to see if flashplayer was there, the answer was I had never installed it on that browser. but flash games were still loading. because I had VLC media player's addon installed.

not only that it installs in all browsers new and old and plays swf games better than ruffle. not perfect, some loader bars don't work (ninja kiwi). but many do. I have yet to test more complicated games in it to see where it's functionality fails.

but yeah, so there is hope because no newer browsers block vlc media player from being installed or running.

update, I've tried a lot of flashes in it, it handles mouse pointer mazes, rapid clicking, buttons, statistics and strategy games. to tell the truth it runs some things better than flashplayer 31. I was running a -8 anim edit someone on the chans made and it was running at a slow frame rate in flashplayer but at a fluid normal rate in VLC.

find me some more things to throw at it! I really can't find any SWF so far that doesn't work in it.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 07:13:32

Can, uh...

Can you post a link to the new addon?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 07:33:36

At 1/8/21 07:13 AM, Chdonga wrote: Can, uh...

Can you post a link to the new addon?

these are the current VLC versions, typically the browser addon is in this installer as an optional selection during install.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download

here is the version I'm using, I know that comes with the addon.

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/3.0.8/

it's only 2 versions behind so, I assume the newest version works as well.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 08:04:59

VLC is awesome. No surprise they are picking up the slack here.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

:3

BBS Signature

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 14:23:07

At 1/8/21 07:05 AM, joshexdirad wrote:
At 1/7/21 10:18 AM, joshexdirad wrote: the headline says it all. VLC media player comes with an optional browser addon which is for playing movie files better than windows or microsoft media player addons will.

update, I've tried a lot of flashes in it, it handles mouse pointer mazes, rapid clicking, buttons, statistics and strategy games. to tell the truth it runs some things better than flashplayer 31. I was running a -8 anim edit someone on the chans made and it was running at a slow frame rate in flashplayer but at a fluid normal rate in VLC.

find me some more things to throw at it! I really can't find any SWF so far that doesn't work in it.

What sorcery is this? How tf does a 3rd party tool work better than the thing the games were meant to run on? o_O

Anyway, how do these 2 games run on it? if they both run bug-free I'll give the addon a shot:

last time I checked, gateway was unplayable and you couldn't use items on your monster in monster arena...

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 14:44:18

Is it like this? Because I remember it being like this quite a while back

Non interactive SWF content like SWF animations or video clips can be played on VLC. VLC automatically demuxes the SWF file to MP4 and plays it.
However interactive SWF content like SWF game files or pretty much any SWF content wherein you can use your mouse or keyboard don’t work with VLC.
source

Language。 It's going on as we speak。

ᴛʜᴇʏ'ʀᴇ ᴛᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ᴏᴜʀ ꜰɪꜱʜ ɢᴀʏ

BBS Signature

At 1/8/21 02:23 PM, OnixDark wrote:
At 1/8/21 07:05 AM, joshexdirad wrote:

What sorcery is this? How tf does a 3rd party tool work better than the thing the games were meant to run on? o_O

Anyway, how do these 2 games run on it? if they both run bug-free I'll give the addon a shot:
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/345127
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/581080
last time I checked, gateway was unplayable and you couldn't use items on your monster in monster arena...

gateway: not sure what the controls are, even in flashplayer the little boxy robot just comes out of the floor and immediately dissappears. it functions the exact same way in VLC.

monster game thing: fully functional in VLC.

At 1/8/21 02:44 PM, DiskCrash wrote: Is it like this? Because I remember it being like this quite a while back

iu_222282_2710116.jpg

online game: Check

login?: check

interactive?: check.

SnoopingasusualIsee?: check.

At 1/8/21 04:22 PM, joshexdirad wrote:
At 1/8/21 02:44 PM, DiskCrash wrote: Is it like this? Because I remember it being like this quite a while back
online game: Check
login?: check
interactive?: check.
SnoopingasusualIsee?: check.

strangely enough, all of this only works in the webbrowser addon. not the desktop player. it's definitely the VLC addon though.

iu_222296_2710116.jpg

investigated further. VLC when activated sees it's an SWF file, then looks for a flashplayer in the browser, if it's found it forces the flashplayer to run instead!

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 16:47:54

wait. no. I found whats happening. Flashplayer was installed but is being blocked. VLC is not blocked, VLC is defaulting to flashplayer which is somehow bypassing the flashplayer block. so actually all this time it was flashplayer but flashplayer being booted up by VLC.

I have no idea how that works but it does.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 18:04:16

At 1/8/21 04:47 PM, joshexdirad wrote:

wait. no. I found whats happening. Flashplayer was installed but is being blocked. VLC is not blocked, VLC is defaulting to flashplayer which is somehow bypassing the flashplayer block. so actually all this time it was flashplayer but flashplayer being booted up by VLC.

well.. at least we know flashplayer can be tricked into starting up by other addons. but other than that I have disappointed myself and newgrounds.. sorry. there goes my rabid optimism from yesterday.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-08 18:07:01

Do you think it'll continue working?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-09 04:25:26

At 1/8/21 06:07 PM, Forty-Eight wrote:

so long as Flash player is installed and set to "ask to activate" but is blocked by your browser, yes it should work.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-09 08:43:59

At 1/9/21 04:25 AM, joshexdirad wrote:
At 1/8/21 06:07 PM, Forty-Eight wrote:
so long as Flash player is installed and set to "ask to activate" but is blocked by your browser, yes it should work.

I guess we'll have to wait 3 more days to know for sure, though...

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-09 12:34:42

At 1/9/21 08:43 AM, OnixDark wrote: I guess we'll have to wait 3 more days to know for sure, though...

Was gonna say this - Flash is actually still working in Chrome and other browsers until the 12th, so we'll have to wait and see what happens next there.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-09 18:33:34

At 1/9/21 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/9/21 08:43 AM, OnixDark wrote: I guess we'll have to wait 3 more days to know for sure, though...
Was gonna say this - Flash is actually still working in Chrome and other browsers until the 12th, so we'll have to wait and see what happens next there.

lets test it, I'll change the date and see what happens. brb

I set the date to the 13th, Flashplayer still gets triggered by activating VLC. - Seamonkey

no change flashplayer is not disabled - Firefox 51.0

I will attempt to install VLC web player in chrome on my other machine tomorrow and see if it works the same there with and without a date change.

iu_222892_2710116.jpg

so it may well be a loophole. now to go back to the present.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-11 09:04:34

At 1/9/21 06:33 PM, joshexdirad wrote:
I set the date to the 13th, Flashplayer still gets triggered by activating VLC. - Seamonkey
I will attempt to install VLC web player in chrome on my other machine tomorrow and see if it works the same there with and without a date change.

I need to remember to disable flash player updates (I doubt this will do any good, but worth a shot)

will you run the VLC test again tomorrow?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 07:19:32

At 1/11/21 09:04 AM, OnixDark wrote:
At 1/9/21 06:33 PM, joshexdirad wrote:

I need to remember to disable flash player updates (I doubt this will do any good, but worth a shot)
will you run the VLC test again tomorrow?

sure, so it's the 12th. let me check my flashplayers. VLC+flash and flash via firefox.

iu_224197_2710116.jpg

VLC is still triggering flashplayer! - Seamonkey

iu_224196_2710116.jpg

everything works as normal - Firefox 51.0 flashplayer 31

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 08:31:59

Were you trying to play any games with medals with it? And if you did - were the medals unlocking?

Equal medal chances for everyone!

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 09:16:30

At 1/12/21 08:31 AM, HerbieG wrote: Were you trying to play any games with medals with it? And if you did - were the medals unlocking?

challenge accepted. let me try that in the flashplayer triggered by VLC. if it works there it'll work in firefox flashplayer as well.

Also before I forget; Chrome has removed their addons/plugins page from their browsers so you can't have any addons. anyone using chrome or the like should find another browser. they still allow extensions but the only VLC extension is "open in VLC" which opens files outside the browser. they really decided to kill their browser by removing user freedom. so I suggest seamonkey, firefox or a non-chromium browser.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 10:21:13

Does it work with older versions of VLC Player?. The VLC player on my MacBook refuses to launch and because current version doesn't support my operating system (OS X Sierra). Funnily enough Flash Player still works in Firefox on my PC because I cancelled updates for both in preparation a few years ago and it seems that the older version lacks the killswitch (I foolishly ended up updating flash player on my MacBook last fall for better security and can't figure out how to revert it to an older version despite having accumulated a large collection of older installers over the years).

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 10:32:41

At 1/12/21 08:31 AM, HerbieG wrote: Were you trying to play any games with medals with it? And if you did - were the medals unlocking?

iu_224256_2710116.jpg

medals A-OK.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 11:47:41

At 1/12/21 10:21 AM, Peruraptor wrote: Does it work with older versions of VLC Player?. The VLC player on my MacBook refuses to launch and because current version doesn't support my operating system (OS X Sierra). Funnily enough Flash Player still works in Firefox on my PC because I cancelled updates for both in preparation a few years ago and it seems that the older version lacks the killswitch (I foolishly ended up updating flash player on my MacBook last fall for better security and can't figure out how to revert it to an older version despite having accumulated a large collection of older installers over the years).

good job on firefox.

for the macbook, remove the addon from your browsers, uninstall through your OS's control panel/whatever it's called in mac, go to achive.org, use the waybackmachine to get adobe.com from a year or so ago. go to the archived old versions page, download the .zip for version 31. unzip, Go OFFLINE, NO INTERNET!, open the full offline mac installer. congrats you have flash version 31.

for VLC, you'll need a version of VLC that comes with a browser addon in the installer. select it during install to use it. but the best option is to just downgrade your browser and send complaint emails to webmasters who upgrade to chrometml, tell them "your website does not work with older browsers, I cannot buy your products." if enough people do this we can kill chrome and thus save the internet for flash enabled browsers.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 12:50:29

At 1/12/21 10:32 AM, joshexdirad wrote:
medals A-OK.

Thanks a lot for checking. I am currently trying to make it work. I picked it from the list of add-ons available for Firefox and installed it, but when I wanted to run a game with it it still asked me to do "just one more step" by downloading a packed archive and install it. Should it work like this?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 13:09:49

At 1/12/21 12:50 PM, HerbieG wrote:
At 1/12/21 10:32 AM, joshexdirad wrote:
medals A-OK.
Thanks a lot for checking. I am currently trying to make it work. I picked it from the list of add-ons available for Firefox and installed it, but when I wanted to run a game with it it still asked me to do "just one more step" by downloading a packed archive and install it. Should it work like this?

Mine worked through the desktop installer. so you install VLC on your desktop and it gives you the option to install the addon to play movies in your browser. so I'm not aware of what it's like if you do it the other way around. keep in mind you do not want the "Open in VLC" addon that is offered through some browser maker's sites. You want the VLC Web addon.

I would be careful with stuff you get from third parties like browser companies. again I suggest uninstal that and download the desktop installer from videolan.org and select the browser addon during install, you may need to do a custom install to get that option, not sure.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 13:41:56

At 1/12/21 01:09 PM, joshexdirad wrote:

Mine worked through the desktop installer. so you install VLC on your desktop and it gives you the option to install the addon to play movies in your browser. so I'm not aware of what it's like if you do it the other way around. keep in mind you do not want the "Open in VLC" addon that is offered through some browser maker's sites. You want the VLC Web addon.

Ok, I got it installed, what now? How would you open games like

or

Do they work under VLC?

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 13:44:21

Oh, during installation I marked the VLC add-on to be installed on my Firefox, but I do not see it anywhere.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 14:22:24

At 1/12/21 01:41 PM, HerbieG wrote:
Ok, I got it installed, what now? How would you open games like
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/773322
or
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600176
Do they work under VLC?

as discussed in this thread, VLC is used to trigger flashplayer if it's in your browser and set to "ask to activate" but the browser is blocking it (not giving you the option to activate it on pages with flash content) so if it works in flash player it will work by using this trick. set VLC to "ask to activate" as well in the firefox addon's menu that will automaticlaly trigger flash when you activate it.

Response to VLC browser addon plays SWF better than ruffle 2021-01-12 14:25:54

At 1/12/21 01:44 PM, HerbieG wrote:
Oh, during installation I marked the VLC add-on to be installed on my Firefox, but I do not see it anywhere.

some firefox versions did not accept addons. what FF version are you using? you'll find it in firefox under addons. if you have flash installed with it and set VLC to "ask to activate" when you activate VLC it activates flash instead.

I use firefox 51.0 because it's the last version you can actually stop from "emergency updates" which disable a bunch of addons.

the newest mozilla website doesn't even have an addons search page that I can find so I suspect that the newest fire fox does not accept addons.