00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣

2,936 Views | 131 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-23 23:28:19

I'm really enjoying this one.

You have to enjoy historical and political literature to enjoy it---- but it's some hot tea. I can't put it down.

iu_229852_1414829.jpg

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-24 05:24:54

1 The Great Gatsby

it was only 200 or so pages but i found it extremely hard to get into.

it's written in a relatively complex way. the author shifts around a lot and i found myself often confused from paragraph to paragraph where the subject matter has immediately changed. key features being described in passages are intentionally omitted and things are alluded to in vagaries that left me scratching my head. i think i found myself rereading parts or going back pages so often. more than any other book i can think of

past that bit, i started loving it past the half way point. once you really get a feel and understanding of the full play then it's a very intricate story.

hey

BBS Signature

Done reading these books:

7. Identität 1142, Sebastian Fitzek, 368 pages

8. Das Schwert der Vorsehung (Sword of Destiny), Andrzej Sapkowski, 464 pages

9. Traumlieder Band 2 (Dreamsongs Volume 2), George R. R. Martin, 624 pages

10. Das Erbe der Elfen (Blood of Elves), Andrzej Sapkowski, 384 pages

Identität 1142:

This is a collection of 23 short stories. 10 of them were written my amateur writers for a contest, with the theme being that the story has to resolve around identity, someone finding a mobile phone, the main character having a dark secret, revenge, and the one committing revenge stil suffering from the secret. The other stories are written by well know german crime book writers.

Good book. Impressive how different the stories are considering that the main premise is the same. Since it's new, I don't think it exists in english (yet).

Sword of Destiny:

Second book of the Witcher book series (I was wrong when I said I read this one, I actually read chronologically speaking the last one of the series in 2017).

Very good book. This one features the first appearance of Ciri in the books. Still planning to read the rest of the series.

Dreamsongs Volume 2:

Second of three volumes of short stories and novellas by George R. R. Martin. Just as impressive as the first one. For someone who knew the author only from a Song of Ice and Fire, I am really amazed how good he is at fast and immersive worldbuilding. Highly recommended. Will read the last volume soon.

Blood of Elves:

Third book of the Witcher book series. Stoked to read the next one(s). Also really impressed how well the athmosphere of the Witcher books has been realised in the games (only played Witcher 3, though). Possible that I will play the first one when I read all the books in the series.

iu_230261_3621830.jpg

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-24 17:28:03

4: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

I suppose it's time I finally read Harry Potter. Even though I've only watched i think half of the first movie and read none of the books I already know what happens. But it's a big part of pop culture and nerd culture plus the whole series is included in Kindle unlimited. Shame that JK Rowling is a garbage person. HP was huge for a lot of my closest friends who came to terms being lgbtq+ in a backwards rural town. It's really something to read a powerful story about acceptance of yourself and building a family of choice rather than blood and the trauma that goes with being rejected by those who ought to protect you and seeing the author not live up to that ideal. There's a saying you shouldn't meet your heroes but thanks to social media your heroes can disappoint you and show their whole ass to the world without you putting in the effort.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-24 18:29:33

This game sucks turkey dick!

Best Toon

The Worst Thread In The Galaxy

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-25 12:39:31

First book finished this year:

De tre detektivene løser skjelettøyas hemmelighet (The Three Investigators solve the skeleton islands secret; original title The Secret of Skeleton Island)

iu_230770_252797.jpg

As some of you might now, I am learning Norwegian since a few years. This is the first book I read in Norwegian, that wasn't a schoolbook. I already know the story in German, which of course helped a lot. And even though I didn't understand every single word or sentence, I understood enough to follow along. This is a pretty huge step for me in my learning process. :)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

I'll squeeze one more in before the end of the month.

6. Footprints of Thunder by James F. David

A perfectly servicable mid-90s dinosaur thriller, that a cynic might accuse of trying to piggyback on the success of Jurassic Park, that I found a decent enough read.

Picked it up for the dinosaurs, but ended up finding the parts which focus on the scientists and politicians trying to deal with the time phenomenon (ludicriously referred to as "TimeQuilt") that's swapped parts of present day Earth with their prehistoric counterparts to be the more interesting aspect. There's a couple of interesting sequences with the dinos, but it's mostly same old, same old. Wounded dinosaur stalks the person who took its eye, smaller carnivores scatter before the reveal of the big one, a ceratopsian charges a vehicle, all stuff you've probably seen done better elsewhere. It's not done poorly, it's just a touch derivative.

Suffers more from having no clear protagonist, we're constantly jumping between viewpoints and no single character gets any real depth or development to them. Too many of them end up being little more than stock characters or walking tropes. The POV which ends up serving as the climax was also probably the one I found least interesting out of all of them, too.

Still, I did enjoy the more sci-fi side of things, and the early parts of the novel which focus on the chaos and confusion that sets in after the initial event are great and makes the choice to go with constant POV switches understandable, as it shines here. On the whole, it's hardly groundbreaking, but made for a decent page turner.

iu_233076_1212002.jpg

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-29 16:03:44

@Jackho I read 2 this month!

1. Sex With Presidents

2. Sex With Kings

Both EXCELLENT reads, highly recommended!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-29 16:06:09

At 1/29/21 04:03 PM, SevenSeizeHasCookies wrote: @Jackho I read 2 this month!
1. Sex With Presidents
2. Sex With Kings

Are you reading them to practice the experience?

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-29 16:43:14

At 1/29/21 04:06 PM, PumpkinHeaDude wrote:
1. Sex With Presidents
2. Sex With Kings

Noooooo a lot of the chapters were super sad!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-29 16:45:17

At 1/29/21 04:43 PM, SevenSeizeHasCookies wrote:
At 1/29/21 04:06 PM, PumpkinHeaDude wrote:
1. Sex With Presidents
2. Sex With Kings

Noooooo a lot of the chapters were super sad!!!!

Awwwwww. I was gonna ask if you were gonna be the next first lady.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 17:11:38

I found the perfect Valentine's Day book!!!!!iu_233649_1414829.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 17:21:49

I read the Cliffnotes for the book /rec/s in Alter-ego...

im a loser baby so why dont you freak me

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 18:25:13

At 1/30/21 05:11 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: I found the perfect Valentine's Day book!!!!!

I can do you one better.

iu_233677_1212002.jpg

Or if dromaeosaurs aren't the theropods for you...

iu_233678_1212002.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 18:36:06

At 1/30/21 06:25 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:
At 1/30/21 05:11 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: I found the perfect Valentine's Day book!!!!!
I can do you one better.

We might be able to get @DrunkGecko to join the reading challenge with these.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 19:41:01

Percy jackson 1-5

Percy jacksons greek heroes

I'm gonna start reading the 5th wave book soon. 10/10 would recommend

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 19:44:00

At 1/30/21 06:36 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote:
At 1/30/21 06:25 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote:
I can do you one better.

We might be able to get @DrunkGecko to join the reading challenge with these.

the only books i like are divergent and diary of a wimpy kid

iu_233718_6715108.pngiu_233717_6715108.jpg

YouTube (Commentary/Gaming)

Wegra is my hunky daddy

BLM|Antifa

BBS Signature

So far, I have read 4 books this month.

1) Hazel and Gray - a short story that reimagines the Hansel and Gretel tale. It is about a teenage couple running away and come across a house in the middle of the forest that is acting as a illegal brothel. It gets odd but it is a not bad read.

2) Batman: The Stone King - I actually listened the Graphics Audio version of this novel, which adds sound effects, music and a full cast. The story overall, about an ancient king's tomb being uncovered, is pretty underwhelming. It is more of a JLA story than a Batman story. The voice acting makes this bearable though.

3) This is How You Lose The Time War - This is a weird one. It is about two time travel agents engaging in a love letter exchange across space and time. The story is fine, but the writing is very confusing and hard to understand at times.

4) Console Wars - this one, I'm actually disappointed with. It is about the Sega Genesis/SNES rivalry in the 90s, but the book mainly focuses on Sega of America's executives and its marketing team. There is some perspective on Nintendo, the parent company Sega of Japan, and newcomer Sony, but overall it is a Sega of America book. The chapter on the ill fated Super Mario Bros film was interesting though.

iu_233741_8405675.jpg

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-30 20:54:48

I'm at 1 for the year and I'd like to reach my goal of 12. Hopefully I made it in time to be included in the first graphic!

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-31 08:21:18

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

My boyfriend got this for me last year, as I like the shows that Richard Osman presents (House of Games, Pointless). I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise, but I enjoyed it!

The Thursday Murder Club is a murder mystery novel focussing on a group of sleuths in an English retirement village. The group are confronted with an actual murder closer to home and they set about solving it.

The setting is interesting - the drama of a retirement community made for some fun moments, as well as some very poignant ones. The politics of living somewhere with just retirees interacts with the story in some clever ways - and explains how the gang have enough time to devote to solving mysteries.

What Osman is most successful in is translating his sly observational comedy into each of the characters he writes. The characters are funny in a way that feels incredibly real - the way they see the world is comedy in itself. That doesn't mean they're caricatures - they're based on tropes that can be easily recognised, but some are given extra layers of depth as the story progresses.

The mystery itself is alright - I was satisfied with the conclusion for the most part. That said, I didn't feel like I had the pieces to solve it myself or that it was a particularly clever twist. It was just a solid mystery novel.

For me, while the book was solid, I'm not sure I'd be rushing out to check out the upcoming sequel. I had issues at the beginning of the book how frequently the characters traits were explained to me. I would have preferred to learn about the characters naturally, rather than paragraphs hitting me on the head with "did you notice this character is mean?". If you like murder mystery though, this is a decent first outing in the genre for Osman.

iu_233922_6996918.jpg

At 1/21/21 02:48 PM, TopazAzul wrote: Still reading but here's what I have so far.
1) Random online and print materials
Read pieces on college tuition issue, useless degrees, suggestion posts for a video, lots of reddit posts, bests tablets on a budget, a few book reviews, TV guide on screen, ingredient labels, Unity game engine, Quest 2 headset issue, a newspaper paper about increased port traffic, an article about plans for school and a Dear Abby piece.

2) Gear Up For Growth in 2021 from fiverr
This will be the third edition of their yearly book created by fiverr sellers. Quick read, nothing highly innovative but it was nicely presently.

3) TBA

Still reading book three but will see what gets read by month's end.

3) The Mindset by Ace Bowers

A not-so-typical rags to riches story about the author and how he survived in a turbulent household. He went from blue-collar worker to making millions through a variety of mediums. It's a quick read with some relatable info.

4) Read some more online discussions and articles on YouTube disabling comments on I guess they call it auto-generated music uploads. Then read some articles on adsense, best budget tablets for gaming, web searches for old books that aren't in the library and I managed to find a copy of The American Mediterranean. Got super curious after it was mentioned in The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson which I read last year; so expect a review for this come February. I'm going to lump this here, but I also read through 50-some old blog posts while making corrections.

At 1/22/21 05:59 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Go on then, one more.

5. The Ruins by Scott Smith

I haven't read the book but have seen bits and pieces of the film adaption; didn't know there was a book till years later. Relic by Lincoln and Child may be up your alley if you haven't read it yet. Have to go back and re-read it as I'm sure I missed some things.

At 1/31/21 09:37 AM, TopazAzul wrote: I haven't read the book but have seen bits and pieces of the film adaption; didn't know there was a book till years later. Relic by Lincoln and Child may be up your alley if you haven't read it yet. Have to go back and re-read it as I'm sure I missed some things.

I'm a big fan of Preston and Child, or at least what I've read so far, which is everything up to The Cabinet of Curiosities. Got Still Life With Crows on my shelf so will probably dive back in pretty soon.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-31 12:27:09

I am 3 books into my goal of 56. That's the tldr because the rest of my update is just the usual rambling. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Barely managed to squeak out my Shakesheare goal. Crammed them in a night. I don't want to revise my goal, because I still got it. There's always hope of a better month next time. I realized way later than I should have that the individual parts of King Henry the Sixth are their own plays. So I could have added them individually to my reading goal. I am a little embarrassed but hey, that's how you've got to learn things sometimes.

It did remind me of a good story though. In high school I had the Lord of the Rings trilogy as an e-book for my kindle and didn't realize it was an Omnibus until I was talking to a teacher about it. He just busted out laughing when we both realized what I'd done. I was mostly through with the second book. I got so wrapped up in the story I didn't pay much attention to the chapters or the one page dedicated to being the cover of the next book. That was probably the only time I saw that teacher laugh. He was usually a stone-faced hard ass. A nice person, just didn't have time for teenage nonsense. If I get back onto the project of helping with the local community center project I'm reaching out to him. Both as an invite and an offer if he wants to lead any classes or events. We have never had one here but some other business owners were working on a little something before covid. A way to give people something to do other than waddle around walmart.

I also finally forced myself to finish the rest of book 4 of the Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May (The Adversary). It wasn't how I'd have ended it, that's for sure. And there was some wild stuff in there. That being said I still kind of enjoyed it? Like book BDSM. If anyone wants a rundown of it pm me. It really is just weird. I'm not sure if I was satisfied by the book, or satisfied getting time to read and finishing something.

I also kept up with my poetry goal. The website I decided to use also has questions on them after you read, so I decided to make a word document where I answer them. Honestly nothing of note struck me too deep, but The Lake Isle of Innisfree by William Butler Yeats has sort of stuck in my head. It just sounds nice. It's been an escapism and daydreaming kind of month lol. One day I'll have a cabin somewhere. With rows of beans and zero fucks to give.

I'm only on chapter 5. 100 more to go....

I haven't really gotten to the main part yet.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-31 20:50:36

This month I read Charles Ball: Slavery in America

At 1/30/21 06:43 PM, Jackho wrote: Weeoo weeoo book patrol coming through, if anyone has updates for January try to get them in before tomorrow is thru

@Absurd-Ditties @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @Crink @Haggard @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenSaysNoToDrugs @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @tehslaphappy @Tacopug @TehPoptartKid @TopazAzul @Urichov @Yomuchan @ZJ

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-31 21:44:13

Finished the audiobook of Confessions of a Former Fox News Christian by Seth Andrews today.

Phenomenal story about how one man went from being a Fox News watching right-wing religious zealot to a liberal atheist that now gives talks about the various levels of craziness that the Christian faith can inspire. I discovered this guy through some of his speeches on YouTube and decided to throw him a few bones by getting this book and was stunned by how much I liked it. He wrote a very nuanced book that explores a variety of issues like the separation of church and state in the USA, the rise of right-wing media, and so on. In particular, he had great chapters on the abortion debate and how it isn't productive to just simply stereotype pro-life people as assholes that want to control women's bodies and that a deeper exploration is needed when addressing the issue as a pro-choice speaker. He also ended with a bit on "Liberal lunacy" and how being an overly-offended crybaby is more helpful to Republicans who want to stereotype the left than anything else.

Great stuff. Highly recommend. Here's a great presentation of his if you want to get to know this guy like I do.

iu_234239_1658435.jpg

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-01-31 21:54:52

Good start to the year. I didn't feel like springing for audio versions of the HP series so I'll be reading those on my kindle.

I was pleasantly surprised by how good Settlers of Catan was. Would recommend.

January

1: Points of Impact by Marko Kloos

2: The Settlers of Catan by Rebecca Gable

3: A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

4: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

BBS Signature

LITFAM UPDATE: BEAUTIFUL NEW HORIZONS EDITION

iu_234532_2680232.png

This is both the highest starting reader count so far and the highest total goal count we've ever had, so uh keep those ambitions high guys. Absolutely making reader history over here.

Top Fam

1. @Asandir (10)
  2. @Absurd-Ditties & @PumpkinHeaDude (6)
  3. @JerseyWildcard, @Malachy and @TopazAzul (4)

All mistakes are just fumes inhaled in the wake of our blazing start. Best of luck on your 2021 quests fam.

@Absurd-Ditties @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @Crink @Egeus @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @Haggard @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @HeartHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenSaysNoToDrugs @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @tehslaphappy @Tacopug @TehPoptartKid @TopazAzul @Urichov @Yomuchan @ZJ

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-02-01 13:14:38

At 2/1/21 12:44 PM, Jackho wrote: LITFAM UPDATE: BEAUTIFUL NEW HORIZONS EDITION

This is both the highest starting reader count so far and the highest total goal count we've ever had, so uh keep those ambitions high guys. Absolutely making reader history over here.

Wow those are some banging numbers! I can see us reaching the total goal again. Only need 60 a month for the rest of the year and we have a bunch of folks who are still at 0.

I need to browse everyone's reviews for suggestions when I'm finished with Harry Potter

BBS Signature