00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2020 Retrospective

6,850 Views | 59 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 16:08:03

it would be funny for 2021 to be even worse than this year and everybody's hopes just come crashing down.

quitting.

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 16:08:48

At 12/31/20 03:57 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I wrote my first year-end recap, are you happy ow @TomFulp?

https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1134796

Oh wow that’s better than my year end post!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 16:13:12

At 12/31/20 03:20 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: I think you're forgetting an essential submission Tom.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/746858

what kinda idiot forgets that masterpiece

quitting.

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 16:18:15 (edited 2020-12-31 16:21:15)

Happy new year everyone!

I felt (and feel) a lot of momentum and energy building around NG during 2020. Could be that the shelter in place stuff helped contribute a bit to people diving deeper into NG for browsing as well as having time to make new stuff! Also, the "death of Flash" stirred up a lot of nostalgia for the "good ol' days" which might also have been a boost to the NG energy.

I'm grateful to NG, and especially @TomFulp for making the sacrifices necessary to keep NG alive and thriving through the tougher times. I see a lot of old-time NGs peeps coming into their own as successful grown-ups and returning to the "roost" to pitch in and uplift NG which is helping invigorate a lot of newer talent in a nice synergistic feedback loop. It reminds me of movies or videogames where a split up group of bank robbers or super heroes or NPCs is reunited just in time to save their old leader and defeat some epic boss and NO ONE SAW IT COMING OR EXPECTED IT BUT KARMA IS REAL!

It also reminds me of how all the old toys/cartoons/shows from 30-40 years ago (TMNT, Transformers, Disney Remakes, Top Gun, Blade Runner, Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Terminator, All Super Hero Movies, etc.) are getting revived/rebooted because the people who loved them are now grown up and "in the movie making industry" or are the target demographic that is spending the most money on entertainment... there's a similar "reboot" effect happening around NG content... maybe?

I've really enjoyed being a part of the Ruffle discord and seeing how an open-source project comes together in the nitty gritty details. @Mike is the bomb for not going crazy with the overwhelming scope of the project and for putting up with the same questions asked over and over on Discord and coordinating the daunting roadmap and triaging priorities (all while contributing solid code himself). There are a lot of other really skilled and smart contributors for the project too and it's inspiring to see how they think about, break down, and approach the challenges specific to Flash emulation.

My own story of 2020 has been a pretty good one. Quarantine is better for me because it gives me my commute time (2 hours a day) back to work on personal projects, and I've always been more of a home-body anyway. @Luis and I are quite close to releasing an html-5 game that's a tribute to some of our old Flash work. My axe-throwing business in Portugal is struggling due to heavy COVID restrictions there, but it's really fun to have a new frontier to make games for. I've got a pretty experimental game cooking for the Flash Forward jam, but not sure if anyone will "get" it :-P

I'm looking forward to 2021, though returning back to the commute will be kinda lame.

If the new Pixar movie "Soul" taught me anything, it's that I don't need to hold my sense of fulfillment in abeyance awaiting some idealized dream situation, but "the good ol' days" are right now, in this moment, if I can live in the beauty of "the now."

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 17:38:20 (edited 2020-12-31 17:39:25)

Ah yes, @Xinxinx was the person who hosted the Secret Santa Art Trade.

Also my favorite part of Newgrounds this year was the new web games and playing old Flash games, Tankmas ADVENTure 2020, and the Secret Santa Art Trade.

Anyways, may you have a happy 2021, Tom!

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

This website is my favorite place on the Internet lol

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 18:53:07

While Newgrounds has been in my periphery for the last 12 years or so, it took me until this year to finally start interacting with the site on a level beyond having an account solely for earning badges. While I haven't really reached out just yet, it's always been a treat to drop by every day or so and see what's been happening. Friday Night Funkin' was definitely a huge win for the site and I'm pretty confident that it'll spawn at least a few new creators in turn.

As for me, I've got something cooking (in between burnout and procrastination). It's been a bit of a struggle for me realizing just how much I have to do myself, but I'm hoping that I'll get my current project that I've been slaving away at on the Portal sometime early next year.

With all that out of the way, I'm more than ready for 2021. Maybe it'll be better than whatever the hell just happened :P

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 19:10:23

I will refrain from composing some disquisition that people would glaze over anyway and just say thank you to the staff and users of Newgrounds for providing a place to decompress in 2020. Looking forward to the next decade with you fine mthrfkkrz.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 19:25:53

I'm glad to know that Newgrounds won't go away any time soon.

Have a wonderful 2021, everyone!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 19:54:54

My goal next year is to get back into making things for NG again! This year made me realize that I had more fun doing that instead of trying to be "A Real Game Developer".

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 21:36:41

2020 was a...strange year. I'm counting my blessings since I wasn't terribly affected by the pandemic, while at the same time ruing what could have been. Appalled by the catastrophe, and yet amazed by the coalitions against the virus.

There's been both good and bad things; the true impact of the pandemic might be laid bare only a few years from now.

In the meantime I suppose we will all have to take it as it comes, for better or for worse.

Since this is the last time I can get a 2020 badge, why the heck not?

Happy New Year!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 22:04:25

It's great to see NG improving over the years. You and your team have done an excellent job, and so have all the creators of the content this site is filled with.

Happy New Year!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 23:13:53

I'm grateful to say that 2020 was a pretty great year for me, probably the best. Unfortunately this changed in mid-October and I feel like I'm back at square one. Regardless, getting back into animation and finishing up something I've been sitting on for over eight years is something that I'm extremely proud of. I had the ability to pour up to 12-15 hours per day into animating, and it just felt so great to be working at that pace, just like the old days.

Furthermore, this year solidified how important NG is to me, and I definitely hope to be more involved in the community. Now I just have to focus on escaping this mental prison of motivational paralysis.

I intend on continuing to try to run flash in my browser, ignoring all nonsense from Adobe. I'm on a MacBook and usually use either Chrome or Safari. I'm wondering if this may affect my ability to use Flash out of a web browser- as I'm still using CS6. I can't imagine it would have any affect, as I could probably download older versions of flash player or something, but I guess I'm mainly just curious to see how testing an animation as a .swf might be affected- if at all. I don't have the means to get ahold of Animate or any of that new jazz at the moment, so hopefully it holds up.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 23:15:47

I'm sorry I ever left, NG.

Expect me to stick around for 2021 and beyond this time.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2020-12-31 23:55:44

I sincerely thank all the souls keeping Newgrounds alive in every aspect. I don't interact here much anymore but it's a solid rock that I come back to just about every day to lurk. 2020 was so full of loss and chaos. NG was a bit of consistency. Thanks ya'll. Seeya next year.

(>'-')>

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 02:10:29

Watching the popularity of Friday Night Funkin' was pretty unique. Really makes me wonder what's in store for NG these coming years. A new renaissance maybe?

Either way, I hope to see you all there.

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 02:47:32

Working from home during the pandemic has me nostalgically lurking the forums on an almost daily basis. I've been a paying contributor for some time now, but I should make more of an effort to find ways to contribute to the community at large. I owe so much to this community here.

Wishing everyone a happy new year. Have a great night. ; )

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 03:38:50

Poggers

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 03:48:56

Hey mates,

thanks for another great year! Was a great one for me to finally take a few stabs at stuff.

Just had a quick tetchy question n not sure where else to post it.

I uploaded 2 movies a few days ago. 1 went straight through but the other has been under judgement since then. Not sure if I should just wait or try and upload again? 🤔

Has there been changes to new vid validation process since the update?

Also, thought it would be cool if the new video preview windows had the star voting system attached to them.

Thanks again for all that you've done and do, guys. You got me in the mood for some sweet sweet 2021 action 💖

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 03:52:37

The year 2020 was seriously tough. For everyone - one way another. But Newgrounds, like a flower breaking through concrete, bloomed with so many cool entries! Let the 2021 be even more productive, but much better and safer for everyone!

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 07:05:23

At 12/31/20 04:08 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/31/20 03:57 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I wrote my first year-end recap, are you happy ow @TomFulp?

https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1134796
Oh wow that’s better than my year end post!

Give the man a goddamn raise!!! Maybe even your position... because then he can give you a raise, then give the position back. OMG you guises gun b RITCH!!1

happe new yar NWEGRANDS!!!! ^________^

Wakka wakka

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 07:28:42

As long as Newgrounds is alive, Flash is alive!

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 07:32:19

RIP Flash :'(

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 11:13:51

It is a new year.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 11:44:16

At 1/1/21 11:13 AM, iscrulz wrote: It is a new year.

That is true.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 11:45:02

Sometimes wheels just get better and better the more they're re-invented. :P

So much good's been going on here 2020... it's inspiring but sometimes also just feels impossible to keep up with all. Ah well, 2021! Great potential keep up boost soon to be initiated now!

Regarding the future of Flash I do still have the official player installed, and plan to keep it installed until it stops working. The NG Player and Ruffle work well where it's implemented, but of course I just want to see what happens when it's ultimately shut down. If it is. What kind of dialog/notice/uninstall process initiates at that time. Also feels like keeping it installed shows it's still being used. Who knows, maybe Adobe won't shut down after all if enough people still have it activated. Seems like a small possibility but curious to see what happens.

It's inspiring to see how far NG's come and continues to go... definitely plan to stick around for those laps. Finna be a real Adult Swim some day. :P

Happy 2021 all!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-01 11:45:09

At 12/31/20 10:53 AM, EpithetSoup wrote: A lot has happened, but on 2021, I hope to host my own collab/contest. Dunno what what they'd be about yet, but I want it to be something that anyone can enjoy.

Anything you try oughta be enjoyable. :)

At 12/31/20 02:16 PM, Urichov wrote: It's rad reading all the stuff that got done here and I kinda feel bad about my lack of involvement. Hopefully I'll do more next year. Also, I don't see a mention of the voice acting collab here, seems like a bit of an oversight.

You've really contributed plenty Urichov! On a roll with those daily haikus lately too.

At 12/31/20 03:20 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/746858

Gotta be on the history page too. XD

At 12/31/20 04:08 PM, DucclyDumbo wrote: it would be funny for 2021 to be even worse than this year and everybody's hopes just come crashing down.

Really trying to not feel like it's obvious that it won't be. :) You never know, could be a long road till everything's back to normal/or never back to normal but: a new kind of good... all we can do is try to make the best of it though!

At 12/31/20 07:54 PM, TheMajormel wrote: My goal next year is to get back into making things for NG again! This year made me realize that I had more fun doing that instead of trying to be "A Real Game Developer".

If only fun paid the bills. :) Welcome back though!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-03 06:21:36

Imfamous FF7 collab? What controversy has it raised? It seemed to me that everybody liked it.

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-03 08:49:10

At 1/3/21 06:21 AM, Deity-Donkus wrote: Imfamous FF7 collab? What controversy has it raised? It seemed to me that everybody liked it.

I think everyone did like it overall, I was referring to the Pifa scene, which caught a lot of us by surprise.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-08 16:51:19

At 12/31/20 04:08 PM, DucclyDumbo wrote: it would be funny for 2021 to be even worse than this year and everybody's hopes just come crashing down.

i think i might be right. if you don't know why for some reason just search up "january 6th 2021"

quitting.

BBS Signature

Response to 2020 Retrospective 2021-01-27 05:00:02

2020 was one of the craziest years in the last century. So happy that I made it out somewhat okay.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature