00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting!

1,845 Views | 18 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Tankmas ADVENTure has TWO events today plus your daily gift, art by @Chobiluck!

You’ll notice a giant gift is now under the tree - come back after 6PM EST to open it. There is also a new movie set to premier at 9PM EST, if all goes as planned.

If you are in the game before these event times, you will need to refresh the page for the events to activate. You can arrive late for the movie and still watch it, like with the Duncan & Jones 3 premier.

Vote Vote Vote

It would be a huge help if you could browse the under judgment games and vote on as many as possible today. The games list has been backlogged all month, the judgment phase for games tends to be slower because a lot of (ahem Unity) web games nowadays take longer to load and a lot don’t run well on older computers. We also have some cases of games that had been unpublished and republished, only to turn up on Judgment years later. I’m curious to see a bunch of people vote on Angry Robots and get it off the list once and for all.

The dedicated Movies and Games lists are linked to from the Classic Portal page here:

iu_213563_1.png

Voting on under judgment movies will become way faster once we enable voting directly in the video player. You can click the white play button in the lower left of any large movie thumbnail to play the movie in-page. More to come later.

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @Badass1702!

I don’t have any art to share here because Badass1702’s art currently exists in her sketchbook and she has never created digital art before. Badass1702 is studying to be an art therapist and would like to produce digital art she can transfer to stickers and pins, as well as to create comics. We hope this tablet is the first step on that journey!

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

Before the legendary Toss the Turtle, there were games like Nanaka Crash and Kitten Cannon. Nanaka Crash introduced the toss genre in February 2005, with Kitten Cannon arriving on NG one month later. I’d love to have Nanaka Crash archived on NG but the creator never uploaded it here back in the day!

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this will be our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Flash Forward Jam

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

Pixel Day

Pixel Day will be January 23rd and there will be prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. If you are down to sponsor Pixel Day, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Current Pixel Day sponsors are @JohnnyGuy $200, @AnonymousAlchemist $200, @SrPelo $100, @SantaSeven $100, @1DarkVoid $75 and @53xy83457 $50, with NG tossing in $400 to bring the current prize pool to $1,125; almost triple what it was last year, with room to grow.

Games News

Dead Estate is coming to Steam and you can wishlist it now.

Meat Boy Forever just came out on PC and Switch.

Portal Birthdays

Sinjid turns 16 today. @Krinn went on to make the popular Sonny series.

A Fluorescent Pineapple by @Butzbo turns 11 today. It wasn’t featured in 2009 so I’m happy to give it a nod now!

This year’s movies and games are now organized in the Christmas 2020 collection. Happy Holidays!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 11:41:52

Merry Christmas!!

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 11:45:42

Happy Holidays! Also prepare for the upcoming Lock Legion Revival.

Peace

--Sky

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 11:53:51

At 12/24/20 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote: The games list has been backlogged all month, the judgment phase for games tends to be slower because a lot of (ahem Unity) web games nowadays take longer to load and a lot don’t run well on older computers.

The internet where I live is really bad, to the point that many of these Unity games take way too long, and sometimes won't load at all. (If any devs are reading, this is a good reason why you should also provide a downloadable version of your game.) Wanting smaller build sizes is a big reason I've abandoned Unity after four years of using it and haven't looked back.

Banner by @MigMoog

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 12:17:26

Yeah, I've noticed that some games and movies have been under judgement since like 7 years ago all of a sudden. Also, Merry Christmas, you filthy animals!

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 12:29:40

30 tablets before christmas is very impressive. merry christmas everyone

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 12:41:38

time to vote!

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 13:22:30

At 12/24/20 11:53 AM, BobbyBurt wrote: The internet where I live is really bad, to the point that many of these Unity games take way too long, and sometimes won't load at all. (If any devs are reading, this is a good reason why you should also provide a downloadable version of your game.) Wanting smaller build sizes is a big reason I've abandoned Unity after four years of using it and haven't looked back.

My Internet speed is fine but my computer is old and I'm due for a new one. Even then we think Unity web games have some issues where they try to run certain things before they finish loading, resulting in a failed load where you need to refresh the page. There's a bunch that don't seem to work for me but other people manage to get them to work.

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 13:55:09

At 12/24/20 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote: A Fluorescent Pineapple by @Butzbo turns 11 today. It wasn’t featured in 2009 so I’m happy to give it a nod now!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/522413

OOohh thanks for the feature Tom! I had forgotten bits from that weird short, it hasn't aged as badly if I do say it myself, hahah!

Merry Tankmas Newgrounds!

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 14:15:43

Loved playing Sinjid back in the day, that was a healthy dose of nostalgia.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 15:44:31

kind of a silly question,but will it still be possible to emulate flash games after flash is gone?

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 16:11:16

At 12/24/20 03:44 PM, pointlessfield wrote: kind of a silly question,but will it still be possible to emulate flash games after flash is gone?

Yup, Ruffle is a way to keep running Flash content long into the future and it should keep getting better over time.

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 16:15:50

oh that's great to hear! i just thought that the emulation process was under a time limit or something

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 19:35:55

Merry Christmas, Newgrounds! Thanks to Ruffle, this little unnoticed gem can be enjoyed this Christmas. I always thought it was awesome that NG was a place where this kinda content could be right next to a gory Teletubbies massacre. Everything by everyone.

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-24 20:05:05

Merry Christmas, Tom! And y'know- anybody who sees this, you too! These giveaways, Ruffle working, etc... dude it's a Newgrounds renaissance. This is great!

Just some dork who's loved NG since 2004, yet isn't very artistic himself. You should check out my massive favorites lists.

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-25 04:23:58

Do we have a page dedicated to Under Judgement stuff? It might be good to have a page that only lists Under Judgement movies & games so people can go there specifically for the sweet points.... err, I mean, to help with the backlog!

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-25 11:06:30

Congrats on the tablet @Badass1702!

About time for Nanaka Crash to make that long-awaited NG debut hmm, how to make that happen... those toss-a-randomitem days were an entertaining epoque too...

Merry Christmas y'all!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2020-12-25 11:07:52

At 12/25/20 04:23 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Do we have a page dedicated to Under Judgement stuff? It might be good to have a page that only lists Under Judgement movies & games so people can go there specifically for the sweet points.... err, I mean, to help with the backlog!

For movies and games respectively:

https://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse?interval=all&artist-type=unjudged

https://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse?interval=all&artist-type=unjudged

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 30, Gifts and More Voting! 2021-01-21 03:41:01

Congrats to Badass1702 for winning drawing tablet number 30. Keep doing what you do.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature