Interesting sites 2020-12-15 17:57:36
So I got drinkin', which got me thinkin', the internet's a big place, huge even! There's over five-billion pages shooting through these sub-aquatic cables and so many of us choose to confine ourselves to just four or five websites, it's absurd!
Well I had a thought and here's what I've thunk, I thought why not dedicate a thread to crawling around the internet every now and then and sharing our findings! I tend to do this anyway every once in a while so why not make a game out of it with my fellow forum rats?
Now, here's a few suggestions to help out!
- If you can find anything good through Google then more power to ya, but in my experience they tend to bury the cool shit under all the Silicon Valley crap. The search engines I recommend for this activity are DuckDuckGo and Wiby. Why? Because unlike Google, DDG sorts by relevance instead of popularity and Wiby is more of a curation of obscure websites than an actual web-crawler, plus they've got a random page button, like what Google used to have before they sucked.
- Another tool worth using is Neocities, while a lot of it is crappy personal web-pages, sometimes you'll find something good in there if you dig deep enough.
- The Wayback Machine is also a great thing to keep in mind if you ever come across a 404 page, just pop in the URL and be instantly transported back in time!
- Don't go using this as an excuse to advertise your own site, this is for digging into the depths of the internet, not pimping out your super cool list of fonts or whatever it is you put on webpages.
- No porn... Please?
- Full blown independent websites are preferred but if you find something really good, and I mean REALLY good buried deep in the normie-net "Youtube, Reddit, etc" then go ahead and throw it up! Just make sure it's a seriously deep find so the thread doesn't get filled with memes everyone's already seen.
Okay, everyone got that? Good!
I've already got a couple in mind for my first entry, I've just gotta find the URLs. Until then, let's start diggin'!!!