00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn!

2,272 Views | 14 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @Aluterrian!

Aluterrian hasn’t been able to create for a while due to his tablet no longer working. With a new tablet, he hopes to create an animatic for a pilot, finish some comics and participate in future animation jams!

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

Charlie the Unicorn

iu_200600_1.jpg

Jason Steele, aka @TypeQueen aka @FilmCow created Charlie the Unicorn as a birthday gift for his unicorn-loving mom. It made its Internet premier on Newgrounds 15 years ago yesterday and Jason celebrated with this Tweet!

Charlie the Unicorn went on to become one of the most popular movies on NG and then early YouTube. The Flash version on NG has since been converted to video via Swivel, our free Flash-to-video converter, created by @Mike. The link above will play the original SWF file for Charlie using Ruffle, the open-source web assembly Flash player also created by Mike, with ongoing development by Mike and a team of cool Rust devs.

Drawing Tablet Giveaway Background

Last week I announced our 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds. Especially animation; would love to help more growing animators!

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @MrChambers, @53xy83457 and @AKA-38CAUTION. As a result, this will be our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Flash Preservation Background

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we also host a lot of classic and some new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer. Note: Previous Ruffle sponsorships were via Mike’s github account but sponsors can now support the Ruffle organization directly, as part of Open Collective.

Some big news this week is that The Internet Archive is now using Ruffle! This has drawn more eyeballs to the project, which helps it succeed.

For the remainder of the year, I’ll be making regular posts highlighting both drawing tablet winners and classic Flash content that is now supported by Ruffle.

Community News

@Cleod-9 is hosting a Fraymakers Art Contest!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Secret Santa Art Trade!

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge!

@BoyPorcelain is Looking for Voice Actors! He’s super talented, get on that train.

Read the latest edition of The Tank Tribune!

A new episode of Eddsworld released yesterday!

Edd Gould passed in 2012 and has been sorely missed. The Eddsworld series continues thanks to the ongoing efforts of his friends and fans!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 11:40:54

first

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 11:45:28

Damn it’s really been 8 years since he’s been gone. Honestly it wasn’t until after he passed away when I started to watch eddsworld. And really, I wished I could have been watching it much sooner and sent him fan mail about how cool his series was.

time really does fly...

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 11:46:26

It's good to see that the giveaway isn't a random lottery thing but instead you guys actually give the tablets to the people who really need one. <3

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 13:30:42

Charlie the Unicorn!! I saw Jason Steele made a tweet about it, it's hard to believe it's the 15th anniversary considering how well it's aged.

I really love the flash showcases alongside the tablet giveaways tbh, it's a good way to acknowledge the past while focusing on the future. Older flashes always inspire me in that they were able to make something so beloved by many despite the limitations of the software at the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 13:58:12

cHarliay look a liopleurodon

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 14:25:46

I remember watching Charlie the Unicorn years ago, very cool to see it working with Ruffle!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 15:14:19

I swear I will never forget this, I am deeply thankful and very excited to contribute art to the portal once again.

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 17:59:39

Congrats on the tablet @Aluterrian! Looking forward to seeing that pilot whenever it comes to fruition!

These will be going the rest of the month too huh, this really is turning into an unprecedentedly; unexpectedly; monumentally thorough tablet giveaway!

Charlie the Unicorn bringing back memories too, dem classics...

The latest: Hexa #64 (Dec)

BBS Signature

At 11/27/20 11:40 AM, GotDamnitWegra wrote: first

GotDamnitWegra!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-27 19:24:39

Ya know, this is great. This post just feels... good. It feels like Newgrounds is thriving. Hosting art contests and the like, giving away drawing tablets, preserving the classics with Ruffle. It just really is a beacon of hope to see Newgrounds doing so well. I'm happy for you, @TomFulp , and for the whole NG community. This is all really awesome.

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-28 07:25:35

Is it just me or is the donor list growing? That's awesome!

I love the artists you're supporting! Please keep it up!

Man, Charlie the Unicorn is such a legend, probably first seen it in 2007. Heavy nostalgia...

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-11-28 15:59:04

I just realized we can set up our movie projects so the default option is SWF on desktop, that is so cool! I miss swf toons with easter eggs you could click!

Seeing Charlie got me straight up emotional, I´m so thankful for all the years of distasteful goodness we have access to here. I hadn´t tried watching swf movies on mobile before, it loaded for me but I couldn´t press the play button.

Also, rip Edd, I remember Eddsworld being the fisrt NG thing I saw pop up out in the wild irl, an English teacher showed us Zanta Claws(NEWGROUNDS WASNT BLOCKED IN SCHOOL IT WAS NO MANS LAND) I boasted about how I was a "member of the Newgrounds community" all I did was post some crappy very badly written reviews back then

At 11/28/20 07:25 AM, Rarykos wrote: Is it just me or is the donor list growing? That's awesome!

Was just thinking that too. It's awesome to see but at the same time I can't help think ah more users that want a spotlight. :P It is a good reward for tribute though...

At 11/28/20 03:59 PM, PegasuTV wrote: I just realized we can set up our movie projects so the default option is SWF on desktop, that is so cool! I miss swf toons with easter eggs you could click!

Just gotta dig through the less flashy cinematics to find these gems now. ;) There still are people working exclusively with Flash even now btw, the Reduce franchise for one. No Easter eggs there as far as I can tell but: lotsa interface!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #4 + Charlie the Unicorn! 2020-12-08 00:25:10

Congrats on winning the tablet @Aluterrian. I remember Charlie the Unicorn from way back in the day.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature