00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase

1,669 Views | 21 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Last week I announced our 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your work here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Squidly, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @MrChambers, @53xy83457 and @AKA-38CAUTION. As a result, this will be our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Flash Preservation Update

I want to remind everyone that most the content on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we do host a lot of classic and some new Flash content, though.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer. Note: Previous Ruffle sponsorships were via Mike’s github account but sponsors can now support the Ruffle organization directly, as part of Open Collective.

Some big news this week is that The Internet Archive is now using Ruffle! This has drawn more eyeballs to the project, which helps it succeed.

For the remainder of the year, I’ll be making regular posts highlighting both drawing tablet winners and classic Flash games that are now supported by Ruffle.

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @Warxwell!

Warxwell has been creating pixel art with a mouse but wants to expand into larger pieces and animated works, maybe even start a webcomic! He made some cool art entries for our Neo Geo Jam and now we get to say thank you.

Today’s Featured Flash Game (without Flash)

The second game uploaded by @PuffballsUnited, after Crossing the Pit in 2007, Breaking the Bank was the introduction of the Henry Stickmin series.

This year we saw the successful release of The Henry Stickmin Collection on Steam, followed by even bigger success for Puffballs and the @Innersloth team when their existing game, Among Us, became a global phenomenon. We celebrated here on NG with an Among Us Animation Jam!

Community News

@Cleod-9 is hosting a Fraymakers Art Contest!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Secret Santa Art Trade!

@Everratic is hosting a Video Game Music Challenge!

Hope everyone is hanging in there as COVID lockdowns expand. No matter what happens elsewhere, we’ll strive to have happy holidays here on NG!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Glad I wasn't the only one donating, would've been awkward lol

(Seriously, great news! Can't wait for Ruffle to save Flash legacy!)

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 14:16:20

I don't have money to donate with ;~;

quitting.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 14:24:57

I think its pretty cool that we are able to participate I hope they see mine.

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 14:45:18

It has been a really good month for Newgrounds, huh. Really feels like everything is coming together just in time for Flash to disappear into the ether. I'm very impressed with how quickly the Ruffle team was able to get things moving in preserving that as well. Second Wind actually works with ruffle for the most part which means I don't have to do that remake I was gonna do xD

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 17:16:31

Epic news, especially about Ruffle! Those guys are doing some amazing things over there.

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Thanks to everyone who donated and thanks again Tom for doing the giveaway. Is there a end date for donations for the giveaway by chance? Pay day is coming up and I'd like to donate a little more if you're still taking them.

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 19:22:06

OMG I can't believe it!, I'll keep this one short haha, honestly, thank you so much, to the people who donated as well to make this possible. I'd use this tablet to the fullest, I'm sure the future winners will do too.

Thanks again!

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 20:22:29

At 11/24/20 06:22 PM, RonDMC wrote: Thanks to everyone who donated and thanks again Tom for doing the giveaway. Is there a end date for donations for the giveaway by chance? Pay day is coming up and I'd like to donate a little more if you're still taking them.

No deadline at the moment, we’ll be giving these out for a while!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 20:43:05

does this mean the audiovisualiser could come back?

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-24 21:30:49

Well I like where this is going with Ruffle and regarding the flash files here on NG and the internet archive.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Glad Flash games are being preserved. Now I can play SM63 even after 2020 ends :D

Your life is not a lie, please grow up, and stop pretending you didn’t steal my can of Pepsi.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 01:30:02

At 11/24/20 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hope everyone is hanging in there as COVID lockdowns expand. No matter what happens elsewhere, we’ll strive to have happy holidays here on NG!

200.gif

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 03:19:58

Glad I could help in some way!

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 12:32:30

Ooooo, How would I donate to the tablet giveaway again? Like send a donation to the site and pm you or would I have to buy an actual tablet to send you?

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 13:08:08

At 11/24/20 08:43 PM, theOve wrote: does this mean the audiovisualiser could come back?

If the visualizer comes back it would be done via html5 - it's something we'd like to take a stab at.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 13:09:05

At 11/25/20 12:32 PM, DevAesthetic wrote: Ooooo, How would I donate to the tablet giveaway again? Like send a donation to the site and pm you or would I have to buy an actual tablet to send you?

You can use the donation feature and PM me the heads up you donated towards the giveaway.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 18:17:12

That would really come in handy. Its a quality drawing tablet. Still surviving against CoVid in 2020.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-11-25 20:38:30

sweet! hope it works out good.

Congrats to the winner!

Seeing NG and the Archive somewhat join forces with Ruffle feels like a pretty magnificent/significant/omnipotent moment. Two of my favorite places on these great interwebz now sharing seemingly similar ideals; fighting to preserve one of the greatest technologies humankind was ever bestowed that just might've otherwise been left without a viable way of survival...

This is pretty cool.

The latest: Hexa #64 (Dec)

BBS Signature

At 11/24/20 02:10 PM, Rarykos wrote: Glad I wasn't the only one donating, would've been awkward lol

(Seriously, great news! Can't wait for Ruffle to save Flash legacy!)

Would've been cool to be the only sponsor too though wouldn't it, all the more notice to your name there? ;)

(Hell yeah!)

At 11/24/20 08:43 PM, theOve wrote: does this mean the audiovisualiser could come back?

Would love to that one make a return too, whatever the format!

The latest: Hexa #64 (Dec)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #1 + Flash Showcase 2020-12-02 03:10:15

At 11/25/20 08:38 PM, theOve wrote: sweet! hope it works out good.

It should work out well for the people that are lucky enough to win.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature