00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

How can i create a Forum?

591 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-18 10:53:21


i have been trying to learn how to program a forum for my website and i just dont know how to. is there any tutorials? i already have what it looks down i just need to know how to let people post

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-22 14:37:44


I think you need a server that collects data (like who posted, the text they posted, when it was posted). To make it work you must do some server-side scripting/programming, there are languages made for that like PHP, ASP, etc. I'm not completely sure though, but there are many tutorials on YouTube.


BBS Signature

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-22 15:02:58


The real maverick forum software is XenForo, but that can be difficult for beginners.


The tried and true is phpBB software, but that can be less exciting, but a good place to start.


At 11/18/20 10:53 AM, Julesisanerd wrote: i have been trying to learn how to program a forum for my website and i just dont know how to. is there any tutorials? i already have what it looks down i just need to know how to let people post


Nowadays it's very easy to find free Forum plugins/add-ons but. if you want a tutorial on coding it search for "create forum from scratch", like this one (PHP + MySQL).


At 11/22/20 02:37 PM, Positron832 wrote: I think you need a server that collects data (like who posted, the text they posted, when it was posted). To make it work you must do some server-side scripting/programming, there are languages made for that like PHP, ASP, etc. I'm not completely sure though, but there are many tutorials on YouTube.


Yes, you'll need somewhere to place it that's available to the public if you want it to be available online.


Don't know how but you could make one in Neocities (example) but since it won't let you access the instance (to install a database) you'll likely need to use SQLite (saves the database to a file).


A.K.A. ONimiv

"I agree with that Onim person" ='D

BBS Signature

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-22 18:21:43


At 11/22/20 03:02 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: The real maverick forum software is XenForo, but that can be difficult for beginners.

The tried and true is phpBB software, but that can be less exciting, but a good place to start.

XenForo costs way too much for someone just starting out.


NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-22 18:38:15


Making a forum is pretty easy, I have a lot of experience in the technical side of it. I have made such places like Onechanbara and Mayoi Neko Atsume, to name a few. But if you want to host a community, most of the guides that are on my page are the ones I have personally put up. I am currently planning an art club, which is an awesome idea, for yaoi in particular.

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-22 22:17:08


At 11/22/20 03:09 PM, Titilonic wrote:
At 11/18/20 10:53 AM, Julesisanerd wrote: i have been trying to learn how to program a forum for my website and i just dont know how to. is there any tutorials? i already have what it looks down i just need to know how to let people post
Nowadays it's very easy to find free Forum plugins/add-ons but. if you want a tutorial on coding it search for "create forum from scratch", like this one (PHP + MySQL).

At 11/22/20 02:37 PM, Positron832 wrote: I think you need a server that collects data (like who posted, the text they posted, when it was posted). To make it work you must do some server-side scripting/programming, there are languages made for that like PHP, ASP, etc. I'm not completely sure though, but there are many tutorials on YouTube.
Yes, you'll need somewhere to place it that's available to the public if you want it to be available online.

Don't know how but you could make one in Neocities (example) but since it won't let you access the instance (to install a database) you'll likely need to use SQLite (saves the database to a file).


Neocities is great for personal website but not for complex like forum or social media site at all, so I don't think it would be best fit for this.

Response to How can i create a Forum? 2020-11-24 04:56:08


It's not easy because it's not just some template you pick up, it's more data collecting and organizing