00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge

14,762 Views | 361 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2020-12-31 22:18:52


Made a new account just for this!


First Choice: EverReverb - “XRL Hangar”

LunacyEcho - “Final Push”

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2020-12-31 22:27:12


At 12/31/20 10:18 PM, Czen11 wrote: Made a new account just for this!

First Choice: EverReverb - “XRL Hangar”
LunacyEcho - “Final Push”


Your first choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2020-12-31 22:34:45


At 12/31/20 10:27 PM, Everratic wrote:
At 12/31/20 10:18 PM, Czen11 wrote: Made a new account just for this!

First Choice: EverReverb - “XRL Hangar”
LunacyEcho - “Final Push”
Your first choice is approved!


Sweet! Thank yo!


Another theme I plan to include in my submission for "Final Push": I hope you like it. :)



The submission will arrive soon. Stay tuned...

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-02 10:29:47


Since I guess the submissions channel is for actual finished products, here's this to show I'm not dead (even though I shouldn't worry about deadlines I felt bad about not posting any progress and barely progressing this month)


Group: 8bit wandering

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-02 16:38:39


1st - Destroyer Encounter

2nd - Final Push


My first contest I'm participating in. This is gonna be fun!


Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-02 17:12:40


At 1/2/21 04:38 PM, F0XtheFUZZ wrote: 1st - Destroyer Encounter
2nd - Final Push

My first contest I'm participating in. This is gonna be fun!


Your first choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 01:51:56


At 11/5/20 07:59 PM, Everratic wrote:
Welcome to the Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge!

What kind of challenge is this? 
You will compose video game music based on a challenge of your choice from the options provided below. I have invited a handful of highly skilled people from the community to design their own challenges with different themes, criteria, and sources of inspiration. 

How do I participate?
To register, reply to this thread with your first and second choices for the groups you wish to join. Each group will be capped at ten entries. Once you get approved, you will have two weeks to either submit your song or provide evidence of a work-in-progress in this thread. As long as you continually prove that you’re working on your entry, you can take as much time as you need until the deadline of Jan 31st, 23:59 est. When your entry is uploaded to the audio portal, you no longer have to provide evidence of a work-in-progress, and you can make changes at any time. If you sign up for a group and do not submit anything for two weeks, your spot may be given to another participant. Challenge designers are free to participate in other groups.

What do I get from participating?
The challenge designers will provide feedback to everyone in their group, and you can expect to receive feedback from other community members. This is also an opportunity to practice composing for games, show your skills to the community, and potentially find work and grow your audience. After the deadline has passed, I will create a thread showcasing all the submissions, and the moderators will feature some of them on the front page. By default, the judges will give feedback in the month of February; but, if you’ve completed your song earlier, you can solicit feedback sooner.

Can I collaborate?
Yes, collaborations are encouraged, and there are no limitations except that each person can only contribute to one entry. Feel free to ask for collaborations in this thread. 

Can I remix a song?
Sorry, remixes are not allowed. You must follow the audio portal rules.

Why is there a cap on submissions for each group?
We want to guarantee high quality feedback to all participants, and thus, we want to make sure each challenge designer has a manageable workload. I may add more groups later.

When will the winners be announced?
This is a mostly non-competitive event, so there will be no official winners, but you can still gain a lot from participating regardless of your skill level.

Feedback
The success of this event depends a lot on how much feedback is given, so please try to give as much feedback as you can to other participants. Even if you’re new to composing music and can’t offer much helpful criticism, simply stating what you like about a song will still be appreciated.

Links:
All Challenges
All Groups and Participants

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. If you like the idea, please share the link on social media and in music communities.


VIRTUAL BOND

XRL HANGAR

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 02:14:53


At 1/3/21 01:51 AM, WangLang wrote:
At 11/5/20 07:59 PM, Everratic wrote:
Welcome to the Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge!

What kind of challenge is this? 
You will compose video game music based on a challenge of your choice from the options provided below. I have invited a handful of highly skilled people from the community to design their own challenges with different themes, criteria, and sources of inspiration. 

How do I participate?
To register, reply to this thread with your first and second choices for the groups you wish to join. Each group will be capped at ten entries. Once you get approved, you will have two weeks to either submit your song or provide evidence of a work-in-progress in this thread. As long as you continually prove that you’re working on your entry, you can take as much time as you need until the deadline of Jan 31st, 23:59 est. When your entry is uploaded to the audio portal, you no longer have to provide evidence of a work-in-progress, and you can make changes at any time. If you sign up for a group and do not submit anything for two weeks, your spot may be given to another participant. Challenge designers are free to participate in other groups.

What do I get from participating?
The challenge designers will provide feedback to everyone in their group, and you can expect to receive feedback from other community members. This is also an opportunity to practice composing for games, show your skills to the community, and potentially find work and grow your audience. After the deadline has passed, I will create a thread showcasing all the submissions, and the moderators will feature some of them on the front page. By default, the judges will give feedback in the month of February; but, if you’ve completed your song earlier, you can solicit feedback sooner.

Can I collaborate?
Yes, collaborations are encouraged, and there are no limitations except that each person can only contribute to one entry. Feel free to ask for collaborations in this thread. 

Can I remix a song?
Sorry, remixes are not allowed. You must follow the audio portal rules.

Why is there a cap on submissions for each group?
We want to guarantee high quality feedback to all participants, and thus, we want to make sure each challenge designer has a manageable workload. I may add more groups later.

When will the winners be announced?
This is a mostly non-competitive event, so there will be no official winners, but you can still gain a lot from participating regardless of your skill level.

Feedback
The success of this event depends a lot on how much feedback is given, so please try to give as much feedback as you can to other participants. Even if you’re new to composing music and can’t offer much helpful criticism, simply stating what you like about a song will still be appreciated.

Links:
All Challenges
All Groups and Participants

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. If you like the idea, please share the link on social media and in music communities.
VIRTUAL BOND
XRL HANGAR


Your first choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 06:28:45


Hello Everyone!


I'm Rafdows, all fresh new to this community, this challenge seems so great that I decide to try with Northpeaks Spy.

See you next for good sharing! I compose for a certain time so, if I can help...


Rafdows

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 06:55:10


1st - XLR Hangar

2nd - Destroyer Encounter


I look forward to working with everyone.

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 09:26:54


Destroyer Encounter: PROGRESS PART 1iu_219401_8456299.jpg

Got started on some progress for Destroyer Encounter last night and so far so good! At the moment there's not much going on but I'm confident about the opening of the song. It will start off with a sci-fi like build up and I think the drum machine bopping in fits well. Gonna take a break and come back later on and add some melodies half way through.

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-03 19:10:56


@Rafdows


@ivelischpfuli


Your first choices are approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-04 20:55:01


Hi!

1st: Virtual Bond

2nd: XLR Hangar

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-04 21:26:46


At 1/4/21 08:55 PM, G348 wrote: Hi!
1st: Virtual Bond
2nd: XLR Hangar


Your first choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-05 07:35:56


At 1/3/21 07:10 PM, Everratic wrote: @Rafdows

@ivelischpfuli

Your first choices are approved!


From Rafdows : Thanks to everyone!


1. Everreverb

2. Northpeaks Spy

At 11/5/20 07:59 PM, Everratic wrote:
Welcome to the Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge!

What kind of challenge is this? 
You will compose video game music based on a challenge of your choice from the options provided below. I have invited a handful of highly skilled people from the community to design their own challenges with different themes, criteria, and sources of inspiration. 

How do I participate?
To register, reply to this thread with your first and second choices for the groups you wish to join. Each group will be capped at ten entries. Once you get approved, you will have two weeks to either submit your song or provide evidence of a work-in-progress in this thread. As long as you continually prove that you’re working on your entry, you can take as much time as you need until the deadline of Jan 31st, 23:59 est. When your entry is uploaded to the audio portal, you no longer have to provide evidence of a work-in-progress, and you can make changes at any time. If you sign up for a group and do not submit anything for two weeks, your spot may be given to another participant. Challenge designers are free to participate in other groups.

What do I get from participating?
The challenge designers will provide feedback to everyone in their group, and you can expect to receive feedback from other community members. This is also an opportunity to practice composing for games, show your skills to the community, and potentially find work and grow your audience. After the deadline has passed, I will create a thread showcasing all the submissions, and the moderators will feature some of them on the front page. By default, the judges will give feedback in the month of February; but, if you’ve completed your song earlier, you can solicit feedback sooner.

Can I collaborate?
Yes, collaborations are encouraged, and there are no limitations except that each person can only contribute to one entry. Feel free to ask for collaborations in this thread. 

Can I remix a song?
Sorry, remixes are not allowed. You must follow the audio portal rules.

Why is there a cap on submissions for each group?
We want to guarantee high quality feedback to all participants, and thus, we want to make sure each challenge designer has a manageable workload. I may add more groups later.

When will the winners be announced?
This is a mostly non-competitive event, so there will be no official winners, but you can still gain a lot from participating regardless of your skill level.

Feedback
The success of this event depends a lot on how much feedback is given, so please try to give as much feedback as you can to other participants. Even if you’re new to composing music and can’t offer much helpful criticism, simply stating what you like about a song will still be appreciated.

Links:
All Challenges
All Groups and Participants

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. If you like the idea, please share the link on social media and in music communities.

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-05 16:02:04


At 1/5/21 03:50 PM, RetroCarrot wrote: 1. Everreverb
2. Northpeaks Spy
At 11/5/20 07:59 PM, Everratic wrote:
Welcome to the Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge!

What kind of challenge is this? 
You will compose video game music based on a challenge of your choice from the options provided below. I have invited a handful of highly skilled people from the community to design their own challenges with different themes, criteria, and sources of inspiration. 

How do I participate?
To register, reply to this thread with your first and second choices for the groups you wish to join. Each group will be capped at ten entries. Once you get approved, you will have two weeks to either submit your song or provide evidence of a work-in-progress in this thread. As long as you continually prove that you’re working on your entry, you can take as much time as you need until the deadline of Jan 31st, 23:59 est. When your entry is uploaded to the audio portal, you no longer have to provide evidence of a work-in-progress, and you can make changes at any time. If you sign up for a group and do not submit anything for two weeks, your spot may be given to another participant. Challenge designers are free to participate in other groups.

What do I get from participating?
The challenge designers will provide feedback to everyone in their group, and you can expect to receive feedback from other community members. This is also an opportunity to practice composing for games, show your skills to the community, and potentially find work and grow your audience. After the deadline has passed, I will create a thread showcasing all the submissions, and the moderators will feature some of them on the front page. By default, the judges will give feedback in the month of February; but, if you’ve completed your song earlier, you can solicit feedback sooner.

Can I collaborate?
Yes, collaborations are encouraged, and there are no limitations except that each person can only contribute to one entry. Feel free to ask for collaborations in this thread. 

Can I remix a song?
Sorry, remixes are not allowed. You must follow the audio portal rules.

Why is there a cap on submissions for each group?
We want to guarantee high quality feedback to all participants, and thus, we want to make sure each challenge designer has a manageable workload. I may add more groups later.

When will the winners be announced?
This is a mostly non-competitive event, so there will be no official winners, but you can still gain a lot from participating regardless of your skill level.

Feedback
The success of this event depends a lot on how much feedback is given, so please try to give as much feedback as you can to other participants. Even if you’re new to composing music and can’t offer much helpful criticism, simply stating what you like about a song will still be appreciated.

Links:
All Challenges
All Groups and Participants

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. If you like the idea, please share the link on social media and in music communities.


Your second choice is approved!


Forgotten Journey or Northpeaks Spy


Is the name of the team also the theme of the song?


Was really inspired by the challenge and got some new 8bit drums so I made this little track before joining to get in the vgm mindset:

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-05 17:04:31


At 1/5/21 04:56 PM, Mabelma wrote: Forgotten Journey or Northpeaks Spy

Is the name of the team also the theme of the song?

Was really inspired by the challenge and got some new 8bit drums so I made this little track before joining to get in the vgm mindset:
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/993750


Your first choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-05 17:07:01


At 1/5/21 05:04 PM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/5/21 04:56 PM, Mabelma wrote: Forgotten Journey or Northpeaks Spy

Is the name of the team also the theme of the song?

Was really inspired by the challenge and got some new 8bit drums so I made this little track before joining to get in the vgm mindset:
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/993750
Your first choice is approved!


Awesome! Thanks!!!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-06 02:02:31


I will see what I can do


RSMNES

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-06 13:24:27


Destroyer Encounter: PROGRESS PART 2iu_220976_8456299.jpg

Nearly finished! The last thing that needs to be done is the chorus which is like the 'finishing the boss off' kind of thing in an epic tennis match of lasers flying everywhere. I've had a few compression issues yesterday were I accidentally compressed the drums too much and that ended up getting transferred over to other instruments, nearly obliterating my project yeesh. But tis' all good now!


I'd say I'll be finished tomorrow to post on the forum. Still need to give it a name though.

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-07 09:31:58


It's done! After so many technical difficulties later, "Space Jet Maniac" (Destroyer Encounter) is ready to be listened to! I had so much fun making this. Good luck to everyone else!


Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-07 12:11:30


1st: Destroyer encounter

2nd: The forgotten journey


At 1/6/21 01:24 PM, F0XtheFUZZ wrote: Destroyer Encounter: PROGRESS PART 2
Nearly finished! The last thing that needs to be done is the chorus which is like the 'finishing the boss off' kind of thing in an epic tennis match of lasers flying everywhere. I've had a few compression issues yesterday were I accidentally compressed the drums too much and that ended up getting transferred over to other instruments, nearly obliterating my project yeesh. But tis' all good now!

I'd say I'll be finished tomorrow to post on the forum. Still need to give it a name though.


Nice work!!! Really liked your track!


Had some fun with this one, tried out some more composing techniques, made some places big, and some places packed. It was fun, pretty happy with it, gonna use it for a Forest level in my game, Moai.


Let me know your feedback.

----

Actually, I think it fits pretty well for the 8-bit wandering challenge. I used some ambiance, and some 8bit drums. Should I make it more 8-bit?

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-08 10:27:14


At 1/7/21 12:11 PM, virrecool wrote: 1st: Destroyer encounter
2nd: The forgotten journey


Your second choice is approved!

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-08 10:30:17


At 1/8/21 10:27 AM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/7/21 12:11 PM, virrecool wrote: 1st: Destroyer encounter
2nd: The forgotten journey
Your second choice is approved!


@Mabelma


I'm afraid I can't switch your group at this point. You can ask Stardew for feedback outside of the competition, if you wish, but he has no obligation.

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-08 12:40:08


At 1/8/21 10:30 AM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/8/21 10:27 AM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/7/21 12:11 PM, virrecool wrote: 1st: Destroyer encounter
2nd: The forgotten journey
Your second choice is approved!
@Mabelma

I'm afraid I can't switch your group at this point. You can ask Stardew for feedback outside of the competition, if you wish, but he has no obligation.


Completely understand, sorry for the confusion I like the group, I thought you could also pick any challenge from the list. Just to make sure I need to do the challenge for the “Forgotten Journey” team, correct?

Response to Newgrounds Video Game Music Challenge 2021-01-08 13:10:59


At 1/8/21 12:40 PM, Mabelma wrote:
At 1/8/21 10:30 AM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/8/21 10:27 AM, Everratic wrote:
At 1/7/21 12:11 PM, virrecool wrote: 1st: Destroyer encounter
2nd: The forgotten journey
Your second choice is approved!
@Mabelma

I'm afraid I can't switch your group at this point. You can ask Stardew for feedback outside of the competition, if you wish, but he has no obligation.
Completely understand, sorry for the confusion I like the group, I thought you could also pick any challenge from the list. Just to make sure I need to do the challenge for the “Forgotten Journey” team, correct?


You're supposed to choose your two favorite groups when you sign up, and you get added to one of them. If everyone chose their group freely, then some challenge designers would get much more work than others, and some groups would have been closed very early.


That is correct.