00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting

6,831 Views | 45 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Among Us Animation Jam

Winners of the Among Us Jam were announced on Saturday!

Video Player Updates

@PsychoGoldfish updated the video player today to re-introduce post-roll video suggestions, which have been missing ever since we switched to a new video player. They’re utilizing larger thumbnails now, too.

An iPhone issue was fixed and video now plays in-page instead of forcing fullscreen. A bug in the scrubber timestamp was also fixed, if you had noticed weird numbers jittering around.

We hope everyone is enjoying the video player! NG processes videos at a higher quality than most sites, so your animation can look and sound as good as possible. You can also upload at 4K! Tell your animator friends.

Flash Preservation Update

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. 

The latest Ruffle build went live last night and Domo-Kun Angry Smashfest is working. Text input is now supported in games like Nightmare House but text entry on mobile is pending. If you want to test a game with Ruffle, slap /format/flash?emulate=flash on the end of the URL, for example https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/254456/format/flash?emulate=flash. If you can play all the way through and everything looks fine, let me know and I’ll enable Ruffle as the default!

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Also note that most of what people enjoy on NG nowadays doesn’t require Flash! Newgrounds is moving ahead into the future while also preserving our past.

Other Site Stuff

The under judgment list is overflowing with entries so we’re offering double XP from today until Monday, meaning you can vote on at least ten entries per day to gain 20xp, instead of the usual five entries and 10xp. Feel welcome to vote on more than ten things, though! You only get to vote on one president but here you can vote on thousands of things.

We might introduce scouting to games and movies, so scouted artists can bypass the judgment phase.

I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get. We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.

The latest Newgrounds Podcast tackled the Newgrounds Worst Song Competition.

The Tank Tribune is full of all sorts of goodies, past and present!

Next up will be the Best of October and winners of our Halloween Spooktacular.

iu_189978_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 14:04:33

At 11/4/20 01:49 PM, TomFulp wrote: I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get. We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.

Scores are great, keep em forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ev

CRACKEGGS 2 COMING 2026

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 14:21:05

I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get. We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.:

I really like the current scoring system, but perhaps id like this one too. If you were to formulate a visual example thatd be nice to see!

excited to see what is done

At 11/4/20 02:21 PM, StaggerNight wrote:
I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get. We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.:
I really like the current scoring system, but perhaps id like this one too. If you were to formulate a visual example thatd be nice to see!

What I'm picturing is that maybe the following things would be hidden on a view page unless someone is in Score Mode:

The score for the submission.

The scores on individual reviews.

The vote bar.

I think about situations where someone might want to share their work on NG, but they feel embarrassed by their score, since many scores are in the 3.0 range. Having it hidden by default for general viewers might make things present better overall, without the pre-judgment of others being in your face. If someone enables Score Mode, it would look just like it does now. Basically makes scoring more of a sub-community vs the way everything is presented to everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 14:51:03

At 11/4/20 02:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: What I'm picturing is that maybe the following things would be hidden on a view page unless someone is in Score Mode:

Tough call. On any other platform I would gladly like to hide or disable scoring completely, but not necessarily on Newgrounds. When looking at the portal or the latest news, things are in chronological order which I think is the best way to provide new content on any platform out there. And here on Newgrounds, there is far too much for me to really spend time to watch them all, so I'm kinda glad, a preliminary scoring was set in place. The score itself is only displayed when I actually go to a view page (There are no scores on the frontpage except for the personal feed which I do not look at the scores anyway). When on the page of the entry, I don't mind seeing the score as I already have decided to click on it anyway and can now watch it no matter what others think. Nontheless, I also think, there is an almost too high standard and really only the best/most famous get high rankings and a high number of views, so there is something to the idea. About the scounting: Meh, I'm no friend of that. But what about a compromise:

What I personally would love to see is a two-column layout, on one side all "scouted" or "approved" or "time-tested" Artists which have Score-Mode turned on always. On the other side, all "unscoutet" or maybe "virgin" Artists which may chose whether to show the score or not. But I would really love to be able to always see unscoutet entries, there's too many buried perls.

But again, tough call. I'm kinda ok with how things are now to be honest. But who knows, as long as it does not piss off content creators, all change can be good.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 14:58:28

At 11/4/20 01:49 PM, TomFulp wrote: The under judgment list is overflowing with entries so we’re offering double XP from today until Monday, meaning you can vote on at least ten entries per day to gain 20xp, instead of the usual five entries and 10xp. Feel welcome to vote on more than ten things, though! You only get to vote on one president but here you can vote on thousands of things.

iu_190003_8146500.jpg

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 15:06:47

At 11/4/20 02:54 PM, DevAesthetic wrote: I like this idea. Though myself I think I will keep scores on everything I post.

What I'm picturing is that people could still vote and see scores on everything - but only if they are in Score Mode. So it would be everything that happens on the site already, but only people who choose to participate would see that data.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 15:07:42

I just discovered this movie thanks to the post-roll:

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 15:23:37

Watcha watchin there Tom? 👀

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 15:41:12

I think it's hard to let go of the old, the new thing might work so we should try it, but i couldn't possibly commit either way until seeing if it becomes a positive change. I do like the current system, but it's not perfect.

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 15:42:32

At 11/4/20 02:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:

What I'm picturing is that maybe the following things would be hidden on a view page unless someone is in Score Mode:

The score for the submission.
The scores on individual reviews.
The vote bar.

I think about situations where someone might want to share their work on NG, but they feel embarrassed by their score, since many scores are in the 3.0 range. Having it hidden by default for general viewers might make things present better overall, without the pre-judgment of others being in your face. If someone enables Score Mode, it would look just like it does now. Basically makes scoring more of a sub-community vs the way everything is presented to everyone.

maybe you can't see a score until you've rated it yourself? of course you can change your rating nowadays, but I feel low-rated submissions and high-rated submissions get bandwagoned on really hard like a group mentality telling you how to vote.

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 16:56:32

Ok i accept the score mode system, where the scores are hidden unless you actively want to see it. But only if there's a weird fetish mode too! >:C

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 17:22:46

At 11/4/20 04:56 PM, Edeshye wrote: Ok i accept the score mode system, where the scores are hidden unless you actively want to see it. But only if there's a weird fetish mode too! >:C

I do think about a Fetish Mode and a Horny Mode because of all the horny stuff that isn't technically adult or even mature.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 17:47:57

At 11/4/20 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/4/20 04:56 PM, Edeshye wrote: Ok i accept the score mode system, where the scores are hidden unless you actively want to see it. But only if there's a weird fetish mode too! >:C
I do think about a Fetish Mode and a Horny Mode because of all the horny stuff that isn't technically adult or even mature.

i thought of this more because there's a lot of rated A stuff that most people that are looking for sexy stuff don't wanna see, you know? So maybe not a mode, but a tag system of some sort that forces the artists to take it seriously and makes specific tags invisible unless the user actively switches it on. I say this because it's an actual problem for me (as a user, not a creator). I been out of the art portal for some time now because of this, even though i have a lot of tags (and users) blocked. This is not very effective, since tags are not mandatory. I'm currently only checking people that i already follow.

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 17:56:54

At 11/4/20 05:47 PM, Edeshye wrote: i thought of this more because there's a lot of rated A stuff that most people that are looking for sexy stuff don't wanna see, you know? So maybe not a mode, but a tag system of some sort that forces the artists to take it seriously and makes specific tags invisible unless the user actively switches it on. I say this because it's an actual problem for me (as a user, not a creator). I been out of the art portal for some time now because of this, even though i have a lot of tags (and users) blocked. This is not very effective, since tags are not mandatory. I'm currently only checking people that i already follow.

One solution that wouldn't require additional development (beyond broader implementation of blocked tags) would be to have moderators add a "fetish" tag whenever they catch something that isn't already tagged... One development option would be to put "Is this fetish art?" in the upload form and if they click YES then auto-populate a "fetish" tag if they don't already have one.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 18:11:13

At 11/4/20 05:56 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/4/20 05:47 PM, Edeshye wrote: i thought of this more because there's a lot of rated A stuff that most people that are looking for sexy stuff don't wanna see, you know? So maybe not a mode, but a tag system of some sort that forces the artists to take it seriously and makes specific tags invisible unless the user actively switches it on. I say this because it's an actual problem for me (as a user, not a creator). I been out of the art portal for some time now because of this, even though i have a lot of tags (and users) blocked. This is not very effective, since tags are not mandatory. I'm currently only checking people that i already follow.
One solution that wouldn't require additional development (beyond broader implementation of blocked tags) would be to have moderators add a "fetish" tag whenever they catch something that isn't already tagged... One development option would be to put "Is this fetish art?" in the upload form and if they click YES then auto-populate a "fetish" tag if they don't already have one.

this sounds cool!

Thanks for the shout-out! Shoutout to @Troisnyx, the Worst Song Contest is truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 21:00:11

We're judging the Halloween writing contest as fast as we can but we ended up with a ton of entries so it's taking us a bit---- a good problem to have! Lots of new people too!

and good quality entries, so we are agonizing over all of them!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 21:17:04

At 11/4/20 01:49 PM, TomFulp wrote: Among Us Animation Jam

Video Player Updates

@PsychoGoldfish updated the video player today to re-introduce post-roll video suggestions, which have been missing ever since we switched to a new video player. They’re utilizing larger thumbnails now, too.

An iPhone issue was fixed and video now plays in-page instead of forcing fullscreen. A bug in the scrubber timestamp was also fixed, if you had noticed weird numbers jittering around.

We hope everyone is enjoying the video player! NG processes videos at a higher quality than most sites, so your animation can look and sound as good as possible. You can also upload at 4K! Tell your animator friends.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. 

The latest Ruffle build went live last night and Domo-Kun Angry Smashfest is working. Text input is now supported in games like Nightmare House but text entry on mobile is pending. If you want to test a game with Ruffle, slap /format/flash?emulate=flash on the end of the URL, for example https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/254456/format/flash?emulate=flash. If you can play all the way through and everything looks fine, let me know and I’ll enable Ruffle as the default!

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Also note that most of what people enjoy on NG nowadays doesn’t require Flash! Newgrounds is moving ahead into the future while also preserving our past.

Other Site Stuff

The under judgment list is overflowing with entries so we’re offering double XP from today until Monday, meaning you can vote on at least ten entries per day to gain 20xp, instead of the usual five entries and 10xp. Feel welcome to vote on more than ten things, though! You only get to vote on one president but here you can vote on thousands of things.

We might introduce scouting to games and movies, so scouted artists can bypass the judgment phase.

I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get. We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.

I wonder how collaboration works with people here. For fairness, schedules ect.

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 22:44:40

What's the reasoning to have the option to opt-in to 'score mode' rather than 'opt-out'?

Is it because more people don't vote than do?

I feel like the reasons listed it would act more as someone else said liked YT option of 'hiding comments'

So score mode still being the default but having the option to remove it on a submission basis.

At 11/4/20 01:49 PM, TomFulp wrote: We might introduce scouting to games and movies, so scouted artists can bypass the judgment phase.

I think the idea of a shortcut for scouted artists seems fair, but I'm not sure if this implies that the movie portal will become more like the art portal. Would this mean that unscouted artists would be hidden by default in the movie portal as in the tabs in the art portal (except the featured tab)?

I’ve also been thinking, what if Newgrounds defaulted to not showing scores or voting bars but registered users could enable “Score Mode”, at which point they would see scores and voting bars? This is a compelling thought because a lot of people don’t engage with voting and a lot of artists don’t like having scores alongside their work, while at the same time community scoring really helps to surface a lot of the best stuff and we like to have as much scoring feedback as we can get.

I actually would prefer the current system over a hypothetical one like this. I feel like having the reviews available to everyone encourages a more closer community, and conveys that sentiment even to those not registered. The other one I'm concerned would lead Newgrounds to being seen only as a generic projector screen for one's work, instead of a more active and engaging site.

We have a lot of things on our plate before any of that, though.

Absolutely! And please keep the updates coming!

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-04 23:58:50

that line scared me it was a bit hard to get scouted as artist... but maybe i should git gud at animating then, honestly i like everyone having the chance to get reviews or viewed instead of being scouted :0

but idk i've been here for a few months so i guess it's about getting used, and make a big effort :3

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 02:21:04

At 11/4/20 01:49 PM, TomFulp wrote: Among Us Animation Jam

Video Player Updates

Other Site Stuff

I do get the downside to scoring, but I feel that sharing my experience is worth something.

When I started out, Newgrounds was the only place where I could get genuine and direct feedback. That I feel is beyond valuable for anyone doing this sort of stuff.

Getting low scores can be de-motivating, but for me it had the opposite effect. It really lit a fire under my bum to see what I could improve. The first time I got a score of over 4, I felt like I had really worked to achieve something.

I don't know if I'm romanticizing a "whiplash" mentality here, but those are my two cents. Love ya Tom <3

New player looks good guys. As for the score system i don't know if i have much input on that but i understand why it could benefit a lot of people who are ashamed or embarrassed by their score on movies etc. It's a very interesting idea though. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this but i'm not too well informed on the audio format of the audio portal, I believe it only supports .mp3 if I'm not mistaken. Will there ever be .wav support in the audio portal for perfect loops and lossless uncompressed quality as mp3 can be kinda..... assy?..

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 06:38:15

iu_190275_8146500.jpg

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 08:59:20

I'm wondering if there could be a play all button on the front page movies section. I have been having it play on my tv while i get dressed and washed up as background noise, it would be good to have it goto the next one after its dun.

also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 09:02:34

At 11/5/20 08:59 AM, Luis wrote: I'm wondering if there could be a play all button on the front page movies section. I have been having it play on my tv while i get dressed and washed up as background noise, it would be good to have it goto the next one after its dun.

When the front page finally gets overhauled that might get in there. Before then though the movies hub will get updated, so you'll be able to browse the Featured category and play all on those.

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 09:05:24

At 11/5/20 09:02 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/5/20 08:59 AM, Luis wrote: I'm wondering if there could be a play all button on the front page movies section. I have been having it play on my tv while i get dressed and washed up as background noise, it would be good to have it goto the next one after its dun.
When the front page finally gets overhauled that might get in there. Before then though the movies hub will get updated, so you'll be able to browse the Featured category and play all on those.

well just build the feature for my use then, thats fine.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 09:18:28

Hi Tom

What would happen if a member with 500 games and cartoons does not be scouted, will his/her cartoons and games be reduced to 100?

Response to Video & Flash Updates, Among Us, Voting 2020-11-05 09:27:08

I think there's more to lose from disabling scoring than there is to gain. Scoring feels like an integral part of NG to me and I'd hate to see it dampened in any way.

That said... Maybe a supporter perk could be removing scoring from a submission after it has been live for 30 days? Or some other period of time determined by data where submission scores typically stop fundamentally changing? That way, artists can have more control over how their work is displayed, without compromising the internal integrity of the scoring system.

(>'-')>