00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game

396 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi All,

From the develop of Unreal Flash comes a new game!

We are proud to present Jolly World! (currently in open Alpha)

iu_187317_800549.jpg

We are looking for people that can help kickstart our discord and help build levels!

Try our open alpha here: Jolly World Alpha

For more info on the game + editor itself, we've made this post on TIG

iu_187318_800549.gif

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-01 15:02:09

Nice, reminds me of Happy Wheels a bit. Were you inspired by that in making this game?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-05 03:51:59

At 11/1/20 03:02 PM, Gimmick wrote: Nice, reminds me of Happy Wheels a bit. Were you inspired by that in making this game?

Yes! I was even in contact with the original creator of Happy Wheels to ask him for help on certain stuff:

iu_190251_800549.jpg

He is working on a sequal and I wish him all the best and success with that! I hope to be a bit different, there is actually a lot inspiring us. Rick & Morty, Happy Three Friends, Happy Wheels, but even a game like worms inspired me to work on a Ninja Rope:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/kpuwrovP

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-05 07:50:49

Is it made in Unity?

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-05 13:25:50

At 11/5/20 03:51 AM, Erik wrote:
At 11/1/20 03:02 PM, Gimmick wrote: Nice, reminds me of Happy Wheels a bit. Were you inspired by that in making this game?
Yes! I was even in contact with the original creator of Happy Wheels to ask him for help on certain stuff:

He is working on a sequal and I wish him all the best and success with that! I hope to be a bit different, there is actually a lot inspiring us. Rick & Morty, Happy Three Friends, Happy Wheels, but even a game like worms inspired me to work on a Ninja Rope:

Cool, didn't know he was working on a sequel!

You're right, I can see where you've drawn inspiration from Rick & Morty ;) The ninja rope looks nice but a bit taut - would making it more flexible (for example, when the character is on the downswing) be too CPU-intensive?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-06 01:06:04

At 11/5/20 07:50 AM, SirKaotik wrote: Is it made in Unity?

This is made for web using pixi. No Unity was involved.

At 11/5/20 01:25 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 11/5/20 03:51 AM, Erik wrote:

Cool, didn't know he was working on a sequel!

You're right, I can see where you've drawn inspiration from Rick & Morty ;) The ninja rope looks nice but a bit taut - would making it more flexible (for example, when the character is on the downswing) be too CPU-intensive?

Yeah I still need to tweak the physics, the difficult thing is that the ninja rope from worms is not physically accurate, it's fake physics, and I try to simulate that using a sort of realistic physics engine called Box2D. For instance, if you move up and down on the rope, I set a certain motor force, so a big enough object blocking your way would not allow you to push it away. This way the physics don't go havoc, but its s bit harder to get that nice feel for the rope. If you want to give it a play and feedback to me on the rope that would be amazing! I'm looking for people to join the discord and help start a small community. I also desperately need levels! Our publisher wants to release the new year.

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-07 08:56:33

Managed to style the hat fully:

iu_191283_800549.gif

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-16 05:57:55

The game lags whenever a lot of stuff occurs (blowing up the long row of explosives in the desert stage)

Go and subscribe and comment on my flies.

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-20 05:13:32

At 11/16/20 05:57 AM, CodySmith69 wrote: The game lags whenever a lot of stuff occurs (blowing up the long row of explosives in the desert stage)

Yeah I definitely need to optimize that! It's hard to think of stuff people will do with the engine, and obviously they will put many destructible objects next to each other, so I could have prevented this. I will work on optimizing the explosions right after I finish the last bit of feedback on the vertice editing we just added:

iu_197030_800549.gif

Also, check out this amazing level created by someone from the Jolly community:

Christmas Level

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-23 14:21:00

At 11/16/20 05:57 AM, CodySmith69 wrote: The game lags whenever a lot of stuff occurs (blowing up the long row of explosives in the desert stage)

Hey, I took a stab at this, still its not very well optimized. I'm going to do another patch later that will create less debris when so many things explode. Currently there is physics particles being created for every barrel. Each barrel generates like 30 particles so times 30, that is a lot of particles being generated and processed by the physics engine. Im going to make a pool of those particles and allow a max of e.g. 200 to be generated in a single frame.

iu_198674_800549.gif

Can't really change layers in the editor, or change the background colour. Is this broken or not added yet?

EDIT: I discovered that CTRL Up + Down change layers, but I really think there should be a menu for that.

Go and subscribe and comment on my flies.

Response to Jolly World - Gory sandbox physics game 2020-11-28 08:55:56

Thanks @CodySmith69, you have been of great help in the Discord! His suggestions have really pushed the editor to the next level. We now have tool tips and visual buttons for mirroring and changing the layer of objects.

iu_201144_800549.png

At 11/23/20 08:30 PM, CodySmith69 wrote: Can't really change layers in the editor, or change the background colour. Is this broken or not added yet?
EDIT: I discovered that CTRL Up + Down change layers, but I really think there should be a menu for that.