00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Voice Acting Contest 13

4,261 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

iu_176519_1387436.png

Greetings Boos and Ghouls of Newgrounds, the time is upon us once again. The terrifying thirteenth iteration of the NG Voice Acting Contest has arrived!

If you're a voice acting vet, this is a good way to sharpen your skills. If you're new to voice acting, this is a great venue to showcase what you have, get some feedback from the community and for everyone it's an awesome fun time! If you're joining in, read the rules and info below and get in front of your mic! Otherwise, please show some support to your fellow Newgrounders by listening, rating, and reviewing!

THEME: Horror

iu_176518_1387436.png

This iteration's prizes have been funded with the amazing assistance of podium finisher (and current judge) @Saminat, who has donated $175 in cash monies for the prize pool!

1st Place - $100 + $50 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page

2nd Place - $50 + $25 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page

3rd Place - $25 + $10 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page

4-10th Place - 1 month of NG Supporter

As with the last contest, prizes have been generated privately. Please consider helping to fund future contests by donating to the NGVAC Ko-fi or by contacting me privately. More available for prizes means hopefully running the contest more than once a year.

iu_176520_1387436.png

Contest Rules (PLEASE READ):

- Each entry needs to be a minimum of 2 minutes long and a maximum of 6 minutes long.

- Each entry must fit the theme! Open your mind and think out of the box! Be creative! (It counts towards your score)

- Each entry must have at least 2 different voices

- Each entry must be submitted by October 25th, 11:59PM EDT. Plan accordingly, late entries will not be considered.

- Each entry can be any kind of genre (comedy, drama, etc...).

- No one may help you with your entry. You must do everything by yourself.

- All sound effects and music must be royalty free. No copyright material is allowed. The Audio Portal has a ton of Creative Commons music, but please respect the artist's use criteria.

- All entries must be submitted to the NG audio portal. If you haven't been scouted yet, this is a good chance to show your skills and maybe get a scout invite.

- If you are banned from the audio portal, you may not participate. Using an alt to submit while your main is banned is ban evasion and will be dealt with accordingly.

- You may use effects such as echo, robot, phone filter, etc... however, manipulating your pitch using your recording software is NOT allowed.

- Although only one submission per person is allowed, you may go back and edit the original entry as long as it happens before the deadline.

- Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification. NOTE: You will lose 1 point from your total score for going under or over the time limit up in increments of 15 seconds. Submissions under 1 minute or over 7 minutes in length will be disqualified for not meeting length criteria. 

- Using the tag "VAC13" on your submission is encouraged, but not mandatory

How To Submit:

- All submissions MUST be submitted to the audio portal. No off-site links.

- Once you have submitted the piece to the audio portal, copy the link and paste it into this thread for people.

- Please keep it between 2 and 6 minutes otherwise you will lose precious points!

iu_176521_1387436.png

The Judging Process:

Each entry will be judged per category. Each category has its own point value. The total points will equal 150. After all points are added up, the more points you have, the higher place you will receive. We intend to have the judging process complete by 30 October so we can get people on the Front Page for Halloween.

This years judging panel includes myself, @NekoMika, and @Saminat.

Marking criteria (judges have interpretive leeway):

Acting (50 points) - The most important of all, your ACTING! Your voice acting needs to sound like the character is actually in his or her situation. Try not to be monotone and dull.

Range (25 points) - How much each character varies from the others

Fit (25 points) - How well each voice fits the character. *An old man would have a raspy voice and a big guy would have a deep voice, etc...* (Obviously, consideration is taken if the voice is done differently for comedic value.)

Mixing/Sound quality (10 points) - Not everyone is able to afford a good microphone, but please try to make your final production as high quality as possible! If your voice is fuzzy and full of static, the judges can't judge your voice as well. This also includes how you mix together your SFX and music.

Originality (25 points) - How original your skit was. Be creative!

Writing (15 points) - It's all good if you have great voice acting, but let's try and have your skit make sense! This doesn't mean you have to be another Hemingway, but there should be some sort of structure to your skit. Also, if your skit does not fit the theme well, points will be taken from this category. If you encounter a hard writers block, but want to participate, consider reading off a spooky-themed poem in the creative commons, such as The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. You will lose the writing points but could end up still being in the top ten depending on how many submissions are received.

For a crash course in improving your audio recording quality, see this submission by RicePirate:

iu_176522_1387436.png

Feel free to discuss the contest in this thread. This contest is about bringing the voice acting community together! If you're a beginner, throw in a submission anyway! It's a good way to build your portfolio, get your name out there, and to connect with others in the voice acting community... Besides, you never know what the outcome might be! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread. I'll keep you all updated with any changes and progress with judging.

Previous Contests!

VAC 01 (Feb/09) - THEME: "And that's why I don't have my homework"

VAC 02 (Mar/09) - THEME: "Explosion!"

VAC 03 (Jun/09) - THEME: "Disorder/Turtles"

VAC 04 (Aug/09) - THEME: "Muffins!"

VAC 05 (Dec/09) - THEME: "Millionaire/Addiction"

VAC 06 (Dec/10) - THEME: Winter

VAC 07 (Sep/11) - THEME: The Apocalypse

VAC 08 (Feb/12) - THEME: Super Heroes

VAC 09 (Sep/12) - THEME: Horrible Jobs

VAC 10 (Mar/13) - THEME: A Night to Remember

VAC 11 (Oct/13) - THEME: My First...

VAC 12 (Apr/19) - THEME: A fool and his money are soon parted

Good Luck!

Audio Portal Moderator. Flag stolen content.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 17:20:37

Exciting! Can't wait to hear what comes up!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 17:38:16

Butter my biscuit and count me in!!! 😍

You need a voice? I got one for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 17:42:00

One question, can you tag team with other VAs or will it be solo entries only?

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 17:46:53

At 10/5/20 05:42 PM, VoicesByCorey wrote: One question, can you tag team with other VAs or will it be solo entries only?

Solo only, reference the rules:

- No one may help you with your entry. You must do everything by yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 18:25:27

Wow I don’t know how I missed that XD Good deal though!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 22:15:32

Really appreciate this opportunity. I am going to give this my all as I am a newer user. Looking forward to the competition!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-05 22:17:19

At 10/5/20 10:15 PM, NickSenny wrote: Really appreciate this opportunity. I am going to give this my all as I am a newer user. Looking forward to the competition!

Show us what you've got, and have fun!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-07 10:33:59

Ah yes, a contest for me to enter with my wonderful voice!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-07 16:50:16

I'm actually really tempted by this.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-07 17:41:19

At 10/7/20 04:50 PM, AkioDaku wrote: I'm actually really tempted by this.

Go for it!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-07 18:35:10

Hmm, I'm interested enough to make this account xD

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-07 18:37:29

At 10/7/20 06:35 PM, Siostar wrote: Hmm, I'm interested enough to make this account xD

Welcome to Newgrounds, we hope you stay!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-08 02:16:00

At 10/7/20 06:37 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 10/7/20 06:35 PM, Siostar wrote: Hmm, I'm interested enough to make this account xD
Welcome to Newgrounds, we hope you stay!

Thank you, for now I plans to stay tuned.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-08 18:42:34

Gonna see if I can get my friend to join NG for this, it looks awesome!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-08 19:21:07

ima try to do a little misfortune voice cause thats the only decent one i can do

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-09 17:50:20

I got 4th place over 11 years ago. Guess I'll try again this time.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-10 13:54:35

only if i had a mic and my voice didn't sound like a 11 year old roblox player

Sig by ToastedToastyToast

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-12 12:24:02

Below is my entry, I put an intense amount of effort (and sweat) into this project.

I have an immense passion for both voice work and sound design, so I sincerely appreciate this opportunity.

Note: Please listen with headphones for the full stereo experience.

You will be able to hear additional voices in the background, as well.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-12 19:25:09

I've just gotten started in voice acting. 5 days as of making this. I wasn't ready to do a big sketch thing but I seen this contest and had to give it a shot. Cutting my teeth per se. A trial by fire.

I'd really appreciate if you guys give it a listen and let me know what you like and dislike. It'd really help out since I'm just starting.

Also, if you have projects with open slots or are starting something new let me know so I can audition or collaborate.

Alright, here's my entry!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-14 16:16:28

Can't wait to leave this comment here and inevitably do nothing for the next couple of weeks while I imagine what it would be like to submit something.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-15 15:57:08 (edited 2020-10-15 15:57:33)

epic

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-16 19:09:42

Here's my entry! It's not great, but I'm not experienced and my microphone isn't great, so hey. Didn't really expect much different

Heedly hoodly

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-16 22:31:58

Finally something I can do.

Peel back the bark for a hidden message.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-17 07:01:04

Theres my submission. First time doing anything like it and mostly did it for the fun and experience. Hope yall like it though.

Peel back the bark for a hidden message.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-17 14:18:55

All sounds/words used here are created by me OR royalty free sound effects.

THIS is Papaw. He's a character I made after years and years of watching Tales From the Crypt with MY Papaw.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN >:)

P.S.

I know the rules say NO pitching voices up or down, but I have two voices NOT tampered with in the audio as well. :)

Response to Voice Acting Contest 13 2020-10-17 14:32:46

I am still very much a fledgling, but I need to get over my recording shyness, so having a theme to work with will be easier!

BBS Signature