Greetings Boos and Ghouls of Newgrounds, the time is upon us once again. The terrifying thirteenth iteration of the NG Voice Acting Contest has arrived!
If you're a voice acting vet, this is a good way to sharpen your skills. If you're new to voice acting, this is a great venue to showcase what you have, get some feedback from the community and for everyone it's an awesome fun time! If you're joining in, read the rules and info below and get in front of your mic! Otherwise, please show some support to your fellow Newgrounders by listening, rating, and reviewing!
This iteration's prizes have been funded with the amazing assistance of podium finisher (and current judge) @Saminat, who has donated $175 in cash monies for the prize pool!
1st Place - $100 + $50 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page
2nd Place - $50 + $25 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page
3rd Place - $25 + $10 Gift Card (SharkRobot or Behemoth) + 1 month of NG Supporter + Front Page
4-10th Place - 1 month of NG Supporter
As with the last contest, prizes have been generated privately. Please consider helping to fund future contests by donating to the NGVAC Ko-fi or by contacting me privately. More available for prizes means hopefully running the contest more than once a year.
Contest Rules (PLEASE READ):
- Each entry needs to be a minimum of 2 minutes long and a maximum of 6 minutes long.
- Each entry must fit the theme! Open your mind and think out of the box! Be creative! (It counts towards your score)
- Each entry must have at least 2 different voices
- Each entry must be submitted by October 25th, 11:59PM EDT. Plan accordingly, late entries will not be considered.
- Each entry can be any kind of genre (comedy, drama, etc...).
- No one may help you with your entry. You must do everything by yourself.
- All sound effects and music must be royalty free. No copyright material is allowed. The Audio Portal has a ton of Creative Commons music, but please respect the artist's use criteria.
- All entries must be submitted to the NG audio portal. If you haven't been scouted yet, this is a good chance to show your skills and maybe get a scout invite.
- If you are banned from the audio portal, you may not participate. Using an alt to submit while your main is banned is ban evasion and will be dealt with accordingly.
- You may use effects such as echo, robot, phone filter, etc... however, manipulating your pitch using your recording software is NOT allowed.
- Although only one submission per person is allowed, you may go back and edit the original entry as long as it happens before the deadline.
- Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification. NOTE: You will lose 1 point from your total score for going under or over the time limit up in increments of 15 seconds. Submissions under 1 minute or over 7 minutes in length will be disqualified for not meeting length criteria.
- Using the tag "VAC13" on your submission is encouraged, but not mandatory
How To Submit:
- All submissions MUST be submitted to the audio portal. No off-site links.
- Once you have submitted the piece to the audio portal, copy the link and paste it into this thread for people.
- Please keep it between 2 and 6 minutes otherwise you will lose precious points!
The Judging Process:
Each entry will be judged per category. Each category has its own point value. The total points will equal 150. After all points are added up, the more points you have, the higher place you will receive. We intend to have the judging process complete by 30 October so we can get people on the Front Page for Halloween.
Marking criteria (judges have interpretive leeway):
Acting (50 points) - The most important of all, your ACTING! Your voice acting needs to sound like the character is actually in his or her situation. Try not to be monotone and dull.
Range (25 points) - How much each character varies from the others
Fit (25 points) - How well each voice fits the character. *An old man would have a raspy voice and a big guy would have a deep voice, etc...* (Obviously, consideration is taken if the voice is done differently for comedic value.)
Mixing/Sound quality (10 points) - Not everyone is able to afford a good microphone, but please try to make your final production as high quality as possible! If your voice is fuzzy and full of static, the judges can't judge your voice as well. This also includes how you mix together your SFX and music.
Originality (25 points) - How original your skit was. Be creative!
Writing (15 points) - It's all good if you have great voice acting, but let's try and have your skit make sense! This doesn't mean you have to be another Hemingway, but there should be some sort of structure to your skit. Also, if your skit does not fit the theme well, points will be taken from this category. If you encounter a hard writers block, but want to participate, consider reading off a spooky-themed poem in the creative commons, such as The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. You will lose the writing points but could end up still being in the top ten depending on how many submissions are received.
For a crash course in improving your audio recording quality, see this submission by RicePirate:
VO Home Studio : Spaceby RicePirateHow to Make a Home Recording Studio like you Robbed an Airport Baggage Claim
Feel free to discuss the contest in this thread. This contest is about bringing the voice acting community together! If you're a beginner, throw in a submission anyway! It's a good way to build your portfolio, get your name out there, and to connect with others in the voice acting community... Besides, you never know what the outcome might be! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this thread. I'll keep you all updated with any changes and progress with judging.
VAC 01 (Feb/09) - THEME: "And that's why I don't have my homework"
VAC 02 (Mar/09) - THEME: "Explosion!"
VAC 03 (Jun/09) - THEME: "Disorder/Turtles"
VAC 04 (Aug/09) - THEME: "Muffins!"
VAC 05 (Dec/09) - THEME: "Millionaire/Addiction"
VAC 06 (Dec/10) - THEME: Winter
VAC 07 (Sep/11) - THEME: The Apocalypse
VAC 08 (Feb/12) - THEME: Super Heroes
VAC 09 (Sep/12) - THEME: Horrible Jobs
VAC 10 (Mar/13) - THEME: A Night to Remember
VAC 11 (Oct/13) - THEME: My First...
VAC 12 (Apr/19) - THEME: A fool and his money are soon parted