00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Post-Madness News & Updates

5,300 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Yesterday was Madness Day, an annual celebration of the iconic series by @Krinkels! This felt like the biggest turnout since the early years of Madness Day in 2007-2008, be sure to take some time this week to check out the entries.


Tomorrow @BadTwinZ will be releasing the Resident Evil Reanimated Collab, capping off a massive month that included the Final Fantasy 7 Collab and Zelda CDi Reanimated Collab.


Tomorrow will also be day one of a six day site takeover ad campaign, something we’ve had to do a few times this year to keep things afloat while we gradually grow our Supporter count.


I’m grateful we can land occasional sponsors but I prefer how NG feels without ads and would like everyone to experience it that way all the time. I get self-conscious that people who may have fallen in love with NG will come here during a big ad takeover and not get the best experience possible.


Shortly after this campaign ends, we’ll be introducing our new video player. This player has options to function like the existing player but will default to fill the available screen space, for a larger viewing experience. We’ll be doing away with site skins on these pages and this also likely means no ad skins on these pages in the future. 


It’s what we want but it’s also limiting our alternatives to Supporter revenue. When we reduce ads while running a deficit, it’s like we’re accelerating towards a cliff with the hope more people will be motivated to build a bridge across the chasm. We hope you enjoy the update enough to consider becoming a Supporter, if you aren’t already. If you are, thanks!


In the meantime, lots of exciting stuff is on the horizon! We’re expecting a big turnout for the Among Us Animation Jam and are excited for you to see the Halloween site skin by @AshleyZombie.


(UPDATE: The site takeover campaign has been postponed one week, so we've decided to cancel it rather than have it happen around our cool Halloween site skin and new video player launch.)


The top THREE games this month will each receive $100, with the best animation based on original material taking home $250.


@JohnMontoya is hosting a SNES Music Contest to celebrate the release of chipsynth SFC by Plogue and has assembled an impressive roster of video game musicians to judge.


This week we’ve also started processing more movie and game thumbnail sizes, for upcoming layout updates. This process fixes existing thumbnails that didn’t scale down well via the current system; expect them to improve as they get re-processed.


That's it for now, feel welcome to share some of your favorite things from this month, or what you have in the works!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

At 9/23/20 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote: Tomorrow @BadTwinZ will be releasing the Resident Evil Reanimated Collab, capping off a massive month that included the Final Fantasy 7 Collab and Zelda CDi Reanimated Collab.


Yay , Can't wait for Resident Evil Reanimated Collab!

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 10:19:43


Another collab?! Damn this month has been crazy :D Not making it easy for one to choose the top animations at the end of this month thats for sure. Btw what are the supporter counter at now, Been curious ever since it was removed but maybe it was for a reason?

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 10:39:57


At 9/23/20 10:19 AM, yeahha wrote: Another collab?! Damn this month has been crazy :D Not making it easy for one to choose the top animations at the end of this month thats for sure. Btw what are the supporter counter at now, Been curious ever since it was removed but maybe it was for a reason?


We're nearing 3,400 which will be a record. We stopped showing the number because people who watched it regularly tended to fall into despair. We're always playing tug of war between new vs expiring Supporters.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 11:30:14


Oooh!

Sounds intresting :o



Hello there person!

That image below here is my profile

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 12:07:17


At 9/23/20 10:39 AM, TomFulp wrote:


We're nearing 3,400 which will be a record. We stopped showing the number because people who watched it regularly tended to fall into despair. We're always playing tug of war between new vs expiring Supporters.


That is great to hear :) The highest I saw it when it was visable was 2 720 but that was when tumbler helped NG out a bit :D NG turning it around and becoming more and more popular.


I’m grateful we can land occasional sponsors but I prefer how NG feels without ads and would like everyone to experience it that way all the time. I get self-conscious that people who may have fallen in love with NG will come here during a big ad takeover and not get the best experience possible.

To be honest, the ads isn't even annoying and most of them are video game related (which Newgrounds is) but I can understand the concept of going ad-free completely since ads are becoming more irreverent.

Curious, are you also getting rid of those Adult Ads?


Shortly after this campaign ends, we’ll be introducing our new video player. This player has options to function like the existing player but will default to fill the available screen space, for a larger viewing experience. We’ll be doing away with site skins on these pages and this also likely means no ad skins on these pages in the future.

I worry about this one. Understandable it bigger for better experience but the site skin is something that make NG more unique in this current time. If that go away for video portal, what backgrounds would it be @tomfulp ? Hate to seeing nothing but black backgrounds.


Other then that, great to see more stuff going on with more donation (major one) and more collab. It making this community more lively.


My Newgrounds Profile

Everyday is a cock day

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 12:35:31


At 9/23/20 12:20 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote: Curious, are you also getting rid of those Adult Ads?


This update will remove the large side banners on A-rated movies. Ultimately want to remove them elsewhere.


I worry about this one. Understandable it bigger for better experience but the site skin is something that make NG more unique in this current time. If that go away for video portal, what backgrounds would it be @tomfulp ? Hate to seeing nothing but black backgrounds.


This is a tough one for me, too because I like the site skins but they interfere with the layout being more adaptive, which a lot of people want. There are other concerns with the skins in general, for example not everyone uploading content wants their content to compete with whatever is in the site skin, so removing them from content pages feels like a good first step for now, starting with the needs of a wider video player. A lot of games nowadays are also wider than the site layout and clash with skins, so games would be next. Eventually we could display art at much larger sizes as well.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 12:42:06


At 9/23/20 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/23/20 12:20 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote: Curious, are you also getting rid of those Adult Ads?
This update will remove the large side banners on A-rated movies. Ultimately want to remove them elsewhere.

I worry about this one. Understandable it bigger for better experience but the site skin is something that make NG more unique in this current time. If that go away for video portal, what backgrounds would it be @tomfulp ? Hate to seeing nothing but black backgrounds.
This is a tough one for me, too because I like the site skins but they interfere with the layout being more adaptive, which a lot of people want. There are other concerns with the skins in general, for example not everyone uploading content wants their content to compete with whatever is in the site skin, so removing them from content pages feels like a good first step for now, starting with the needs of a wider video player. A lot of games nowadays are also wider than the site layout and clash with skins, so games would be next. Eventually we could display art at much larger sizes as well.


The bigger, the better.

There are some game that is bigger then the screen it self so. The art though is depend on the size of the canvas.

Curious to see how this goes.


My Newgrounds Profile

Everyday is a cock day

BBS Signature

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 16:01:39


At 9/23/20 10:03 AM, kruno5 wrote:
At 9/23/20 10:02 AM, TomFulp wrote: Tomorrow @BadTwinZ will be releasing the Resident Evil Reanimated Collab, capping off a massive month that included the Final Fantasy 7 Collab and Zelda CDi Reanimated Collab.
Yay , Can't wait for Resident Evil Reanimated Collab!


GET THE BAZOOKA!


BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 16:56:55


This month has upped the level of collabs with amazing works like the Final Fantasy collab and Zelda collab. I hope we can match and deliver that level of awesomeness.


BBS Signature


I’m grateful we can land occasional sponsors but I prefer how NG feels without ads and would like everyone to experience it that way all the time. I get self-conscious that people who may have fallen in love with NG will come here during a big ad takeover and not get the best experience possible.

It’s what we want but it’s also limiting our alternatives to Supporter revenue. When we reduce ads while running a deficit, it’s like we’re accelerating towards a cliff with the hope more people will be motivated to build a bridge across the chasm. We hope you enjoy the update enough to consider becoming a Supporter, if you aren’t already. If you are, thanks!

That's it for now, feel welcome to share some of your favorite things from this month, or what you have in the works!


I love NG. With that said, I'm compelled to continuing pitching the Donation button feature. I have a strong feeling that if there's an option for high profile NG artists to have a Donation button (and by also signing up as a Supporter first so NG can benefit) that NG will see more money and prosperity in the forms of:


  • A MEGA INFLUX of NG Supporters who are Creatives looking for a permanent website to set up shop (migrating from YT and everywhere else on the web). NG creatives could receive direct channel donations from their fans.
  • More money invested into art jams from artists and fans because of this new infrastructure. From this point, NG has the potential to take a portion of money from accounts to funnel into art jams for example. Lots of options here.
  • Supercharging the already-existing community, providing a way of life for all NG creatives besides jams where there's no guarantee of receiving any money.

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 17:11:17


man theres so many things going on! im hyped for all of this! especially the resident evil collab. i may not be that big in the series but im definitely hyped after seeing how good the last two collabs were.

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 17:11:53


A great month to be a NG fan and supporter


A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 17:38:44


Also, @TomFulp, sorry to bother you, but how do these collabs work? Is it something kept secret and you're messaged if you want to be included or is there a specific part of the site for it? I'm new to this site and i'm finding things everyday, so I apologize if this question is dumb. Thank you!

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 18:02:17


Love you guys!


II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 19:45:39


a million thanks for getting rid of those adult ads


tired of people who haven't played FE insulting it

i need to go outside more often...

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 20:15:16


At 9/23/20 05:38 PM, Genesiz wrote: Also, @TomFulp, sorry to bother you, but how do these collabs work? Is it something kept secret and you're messaged if you want to be included or is there a specific part of the site for it? I'm new to this site and i'm finding things everyday, so I apologize if this question is dumb. Thank you!


It can vary - usually it’s mentioned in a news post when the collab organizing starts and sometimes it goes on the calendar. Collabs tend to not launch until many months after the initial organizing phase, so things can be quiet and then a big collab shows up out of the blue.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-23 22:37:39


if i could i would gladly become a supporter. sorry

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 07:58:09


Glad to see that this place is in a great shape! Sure, can't wait for RE release. It is gonna be awesome!

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 08:02:49


At 9/23/20 10:37 PM, SanswichNG wrote: if i could i would gladly become a supporter. sorry


No apology needed, I would never want anyone to be paying NG if it's a strain on finances.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 09:08:12


At 9/23/20 04:57 PM, DimensionLord wrote:

I love NG. With that said, I'm compelled to continuing pitching the Donation button feature. I have a strong feeling that if there's an option for high profile NG artists to have a Donation button (and by also signing up as a Supporter first so NG can benefit) that NG will see more money and prosperity in the forms of:


Like that idea. I've been following a handful of artists on Twitter who are really frustrated with Patreon over creative control issues and others who are really frustrated with YouTube partner programs for the lack of transparency and difficulty with bogus copyright and appropriateness claims.

You provide them a hands-off platform to crowd-fund or set up subscriptions, you'll have them driving viewers here from those other platforms the way they do to their Patreons or other fundraising sites. Even asking the same 5% fees like those services do, NG would still be more attractive, I'm sure.

The challenge would probably be getting enough traction soon enough for the revenue NG earns to off-set the overhead of that kinda operation (distributing finances is itself an expensive game). I'm shocked NG is able to operate with the current number of supporters it has.


I'm impartial, since I'm not the kinda artist with a fan following that would donate (nor would I expect it - it takes a lot of time, talent and commitment to build and maintain the interests of that kinda fanbase). I just want to see more great artists return to this site.

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 12:30:53


I Can't Wait For Resident Evil Reanimated Collab!

-TGF2020

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 14:06:38


Happy to hear about potential new layout updates! Just to throw my own two cents in, I recognize the community benefit of site skins but 100% support the idea of not having them one day. IMO they busy up the page and contribute to non-regular users getting overwhelmed with visual information. And I think there are plenty of alternative ways to put users' art right in the front and center of the site design - announcement banners, etc.


Maybe instead of art on the sides, expand the header on top? People can design custom header art for the month? (Which collapses as you scroll down)


THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 21:18:21


At 9/23/20 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
This is a tough one for me, too because I like the site skins but they interfere with the layout being more adaptive, which a lot of people want. There are other concerns with the skins in general, for example not everyone uploading content wants their content to compete with whatever is in the site skin, so removing them from content pages feels like a good first step for now, starting with the needs of a wider video player. A lot of games nowadays are also wider than the site layout and clash with skins, so games would be next. Eventually we could display art at much larger sizes as well.


You had me at "display art at much larger sizes" lol.


I enjoy the site skins so much because of the amount of character they add, and I mainly just switch to Fullscreen whenever something is playing, but I respect tinkering with the UI for improvements. I'll miss this layout, but the future layout might be really really nice for including neat features that allow for better navigation and a more adaptive experience when it comes to browsing and searching for additional content.


My issue with art has been that you can only "zoom in" on the small details after clicking the picture to reveal the image's original resolution size. When (or if) art gets updated in the future, it'd be nice to see a larger, freer area for the art to occupy, too, in order to allow for a bigger, more badass experience. So that's gonna go over well ^^;


Right now, Newgrounds's layout seems really optimal for neat, small experiences that encapsulate niche techniques of allowing a lot of free space and keeping information at a focused level of "here is what you're watching, here are a few time-relevant suggestions, and here are the reviews + the submission's information." There is definitely room for more interactive, adaptive information and ways to navigate beyond the small amount of auto-suggestions.


Meddling with UI is troublesome because of the seemingly infinite ways to display different kinds of information and paths, and I know I'm making a lot of assumptions based on you simply allowing the video player to take up maximum space, but I like the idea of change to allow for a "fuller" experience, so I'm excited for the future of NG's UI~

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-24 21:37:11


Exciting stuff on the horizon that I can't wait to see!


whom

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-25 06:07:49


At 9/23/20 04:57 PM, DimensionLord wrote:

I’m grateful we can land occasional sponsors but I prefer how NG feels without ads and would like everyone to experience it that way all the time. I get self-conscious that people who may have fallen in love with NG will come here during a big ad takeover and not get the best experience possible.

It’s what we want but it’s also limiting our alternatives to Supporter revenue. When we reduce ads while running a deficit, it’s like we’re accelerating towards a cliff with the hope more people will be motivated to build a bridge across the chasm. We hope you enjoy the update enough to consider becoming a Supporter, if you aren’t already. If you are, thanks!

That's it for now, feel welcome to share some of your favorite things from this month, or what you have in the works!
I love NG. With that said, I'm compelled to continuing pitching the Donation button feature. I have a strong feeling that if there's an option for high profile NG artists to have a Donation button (and by also signing up as a Supporter first so NG can benefit) that NG will see more money and prosperity in the forms of:


We have to be careful though,when money is on the line things are more apt to go awry.You don´t want them to start doing things because they will get paid but because they actually WANT to do these things.Need to find a way to prevent it from becoming a job.


BBS Signature

Response to Post-Madness News & Updates 2020-09-25 06:09:47


At 9/24/20 09:18 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 9/23/20 12:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
This is a tough one for me, too because I like the site skins but they interfere with the layout being more adaptive, which a lot of people want. There are other concerns with the skins in general, for example not everyone uploading content wants their content to compete with whatever is in the site skin, so removing them from content pages feels like a good first step for now, starting with the needs of a wider video player. A lot of games nowadays are also wider than the site layout and clash with skins, so games would be next. Eventually we could display art at much larger sizes as well.
You had me at "display art at much larger sizes" lol.

I enjoy the site skins so much because of the amount of character they add, and I mainly just switch to Fullscreen whenever something is playing, but I respect tinkering with the UI for improvements. I'll miss this layout, but the future layout might be really really nice for including neat features that allow for better navigation and a more adaptive experience when it comes to browsing and searching for additional content.

My issue with art has been that you can only "zoom in" on the small details after clicking the picture to reveal the image's original resolution size. When (or if) art gets updated in the future, it'd be nice to see a larger, freer area for the art to occupy, too, in order to allow for a bigger, more badass experience. So that's gonna go over well ^^;

Right now, Newgrounds's layout seems really optimal for neat, small experiences that encapsulate niche techniques of allowing a lot of free space and keeping information at a focused level of "here is what you're watching, here are a few time-relevant suggestions, and here are the reviews + the submission's information." There is definitely room for more interactive, adaptive information and ways to navigate beyond the small amount of auto-suggestions.

Meddling with UI is troublesome because of the seemingly infinite ways to display different kinds of information and paths, and I know I'm making a lot of assumptions based on you simply allowing the video player to take up maximum space, but I like the idea of change to allow for a "fuller" experience, so I'm excited for the future of NG's UI~


Why not add stylised borders when you are in fullscreen or are in default?That can add some flavor to site.


BBS Signature

it’s like we’re accelerating towards a cliff with the hope more people will be motivated to build a bridge across the chasm.


Sad words.


Background looks nice btw :)