00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xo1029392 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Games ruined for you

1,945 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Games ruined for you 2020-09-22 23:08:05

Are there any games you used to like/thought were just okay, but were indirectly ruined for you by other people, through negativity and such?

I used to really enjoy Pokemon, but since 2019, it seems like any talk about it is negative. Now for me personally, trying to play it just makes me feel bad about it.

tired of people who haven't played FE insulting it

i need to go outside more often...

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-23 00:02:22

Undertale. I still think Undertale is an amazing game probably one of the best games of the turn-based games of the 21st century. But goddamn, the fanbase just ruined it so hard for me honestly.

Breh.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 17:02:53 (edited 2020-09-24 17:03:18)

I loved Pokemon right up until the gen that came after Fire Red/Leaf Green and Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire.

When Nintendo started pushing the 3DS, the games started looking like shit, the new gen pokemon looked like shit, and overall the games just started spiraling downhill, imho.

I wouldn't say that people ruined it for me at all...

Something people ruined for me is the Call of Duty franchise.

CoD: MW and CoD: MW II were great games... but the fanbase fell right into the trap of consumer whoreism and buying the same fucking game every year with a new paintjob.

I haven't played any CoD games in several years... but anytime I hear anyone talk about a newer CoD game (as in not reminiscing about old times), I just cringe.

The fanbase is the epitome of brochad idiots, and the fact that they shell out $60 bucks every year to play the same shitty game is astounding.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 19:30:42

Each new gen of pokemon presents quality-of-life changes that are so subtle you only notice them when replaying an old one. I struggle to replay the older games without a randomizer or a hardmode hack enabled. Gen 1-4's early to midgame wild encounters were so dull compared to gen 5 and onward and that's just something you won't notice until you go from catching Slowpokes, Growlithe, or Elekid then replaying an older gen and needing to make due with the regional bug, rat, & bird.

The only times games ever really get "ruined" for me is when the sequel brings about huge QoL changes or if there's a similar enough game that it renders the other game obsolete and boring. Like I can't get into most action RPGs because the combat isn't as engaging as Kingdom Hearts or Rogue Galaxy. I wouldn't say it "ruined" them, but the inferior/less-polished gameplay is a huge turnoff.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 21:20:34

At 9/22/20 11:08 PM, WhiteCheddarKasai wrote: Are there any games you used to like/thought were just okay, but were indirectly ruined for you by other people, through negativity and such?

I used to really enjoy Pokemon, but since 2019, it seems like any talk about it is negative. Now for me personally, trying to play it just makes me feel bad about it.

Two games in particular I used to really love was....

Well I got a story

Guncraft on PC During 2013 I used to play the shit out of it, hell it got pushed me more and more towards foruming. Roblox before 2016 had forums which kept me on the website forever. What really killed it for me with Guncraft is that was so multiplayer centric for everything...

Wanted to publish maps? Online! Wanted to publish guns, vote for it and also wait a long ass time, then publish. Wanted to have custom character skins, same situation. Though when it did have a fanbase it was really fun to play. Though the sad part was the most activity was on December, ever since that, it crashed hard. I couldn't play the game for a long ass time before I got a new PC, but it was already too late. Recently the servers got completely lost all online functionality, so all that you can have is just default guns, default everything.

The publishers 101 destoryed it and the porting to console being Xbox 360, and a planned ps4 version ( This is what zmaniac an ex-developer told me ) I did beta for Guncraft where I tested Wild West + Christmas + and Deep Cave.. The temple one was sooooo amazing. Hell found it had the best textures and great developers that helped me run servers.

Blockstorm was really fun during early 2014 which I joined the video game. So I can speak a bit more. During 2014-2016 were the golden years of blockstorm. Where constant content was pumped out, 2015 added custom skins to guns, added new features to the game... Mostly good maps, good guns, great community that understood the mechanics rather well. I joined the game when it only had a Map Editor, Character editor.... 2015 Around the time I finished infinity island map is when the gun skins were added. Which allowed you to make ANY GUN SKIN you thought of, wanted a dick gun? You can do it, wanted a panty and stocking gun? Yes it was possible. The editors that were added in 2015 I remember Mecha and also Zombies ( It is an ALT-Character editor ).... The customization was absolutely perfection.

I played the game when it used to cost fifteen dollars during alpha when it launched. Which for the time was GREAT when it actually used to update fairly every month and had a forum at one point till the dark ages of late 2016... Later on during out of beta in 2016 the price of the game was five dollars, which was good for legitimatity. As it was a game during the time has gun customization, mecha customization, character customization,and map customization.

The only thing that started to show.... Someone named Indiegala... That was the publisher... Ghostshark developed Blockstorm was great as blockstorm ran well on low end hardware because I didn't have a good PC at all. Where you could play big expansive maps and what not if had the fog for it. Most maps that were offically made like Bridge Pass had tons of fog. Which mind you wasn't that bad as it kept the performance great. No bad pings really. Well during late 2016 Indiegala pulled the plug on blockstorm forums, so if ever press the community tab on the official video game. It is a middle finger. Not a good look at all, during the exact same time Blockstorm Discord became available. Which was nice as basically lead to me having a discord that is ancient now. Blockstorm's developers tried making a ranked community maps feature which was really awesome for badges... As they were pretty much smaller maps made by the community and for the community, but later it got exploited due to one user thou shall not name. It was a real big shame as blockstorm basically became from a TRIPLE Numbers community, to now just double digits and hanging low.

Indiegala won't fund the efforts of blockstorm despite making back its own money. The developers were really nice and would interact, the artists were nice.

The last updates was Shaded + Tinted blocks and Sci-fi blocks ( You can recognize them for being higher fidelity ) It was a really big shame to be honest. Blockstorm tried to live in with custom maps being offically ranked, but now that server doesn't work. The community was supremely talented with Dracop making huge detailed maps, great custom characters, and where I met my first really good internet friends. It is the reason why I enjoyed foruming and creating digital paintings. As to sort of fill that void of community that loves art....

Indiegala was to blame for the dickhead decisions like destroyed the forums of blockstorm. What made me really pissed off that during the end of the blockstorm forum reign... Blockstorm was still fairly active in the triple numbers, hell it was fun as it got. Simple CS:GO meets classic ace of spades. It was ace of spades classic without the jank and with easy to use tools. Easy to create anything you possibly wanted. It was an artist paradise. That forum of blockstorm was obliterated, but when I go to Exato Guncraft forums. THE HELL THEY ARE STILL RUNNING, DESPITE. The game is fully dead, nobody is there! No bots, nothing. Blockstorms forums during the end of the days of 2017 being the dark ages... It was straight up everyday you would have a bot make a threat in X area on it. Blockstorm needed updates, indiegala wouldn't fund it enough despite made shit tons of money from it.

To add salt to the wound, they made Indiegala forums, but THEY NEVER MADE IT PUBLIC ACCESS and PLANNED ON ADDING A BLOCKSTORM THREAD! That really hurts me to this day in 2020. Like what the fuck man, they promised a forum for blockstormers, but never did it. They only turned into a give away jerk off, never THE COMMUNITY voice. It really pisses me off as I just wanted a place to belong on the internet. Newgrounds is my permanent residence now due to all games that had forums either lost them or died. The last blockstorm stuff is GardenLife's mods. That are mostly texturepacks. It is niche as it gets, but if got a bunch of buddies, expect a good time. Blockstorm's dark age is 2017- Current. The developers moved on. Like what ruined the game for me? Not really the community, but the mismanagement of indie voxel fps shooters that aren't free to play. Can create a cool map and publish it and share it.

Where the community makes the content, the developer just concentrates on features. It was a mutual relationship, but indiegala was parasitic towards it. I am near crying when I think or play the game. It was once a third person at one point. Is it wrong that I am being emotional towards basically a two voxel FPS games that were really high quality for their day and time that had features like customization and easy map editing? No DLC BS, No Microtransactions, and no loot boxes. Just simple community made content. I will miss the days playing with Redcorpian and tight knit community that still exists. Guncraft's community went to blockstorm and stayed for years.

Ace of spades Jagex had some actual competition for during these days due to it. Blockstorm offered no always online editors, custom skins, balanced guns, mini-games made by the community, trench warfare like ace of spades classic and what JAGEX SHOULD HAVE PROVIDED, great maps. Blockstorm was the best voxel FPS game genre ever was. Balanced combat that had a risk and reward for reloads, weight movement balance, great physics. It is like a refined ace of spades classic with more variety to it. It had Deathmatch, Team deathmatch, Hunt, and Assault along side capture the flag. This is all I got to say.

A game that got ruined by its publishers, the developers weren't lazy, they were limited, but what they could offer, it was a well served meal.

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 21:23:12

At 9/23/20 12:02 AM, DerpixonFanAccount wrote: Undertale. I still think Undertale is an amazing game probably one of the best games of the turn-based games of the 21st century. But goddamn, the fanbase just ruined it so hard for me honestly.

Fairly relatable. For me, the fanbase I kind of never got along on most websites. Outside of discord. Due to my lewd nature and used to follow the comics it was based upon in 2015-2016. Hell followed Deltarune for a while. Deltarune's tumblr lewd days was an interesting. The tag got wiped clean. Infact it was named " Deltaruin ". I find the Deltarune as an interesting experiment. Undertale can live on with its many comics and AU's.

Join The Rat Cult and grasp firmly.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 22:10:12 (edited 2020-09-24 22:14:34)

Fallout 4 and Bethesda games in general.

The fanbase is so rabid, unironically worshipping Todd Howard, and takes any criticism of those games so bizarrely personally. God forbid you say New Vegas was your favorite Fallout game.

Fallout 4 was fine for what it was, but anytime I think about booting it up, I just remember reading hours and hours of cringy discourse about how if you don't like Fallout 4 it's because you're not intellectual enough to understand what a marvel of game design it is that has pushed gaming as a medium forward at least 30 years.

It's basically the videogame equivalent of a Fedora.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-24 22:19:00 (edited 2020-09-24 22:20:06)

At 9/24/20 10:10 PM, Bansheebot wrote: Fallout 4 and Bethesda games in general.

The fanbase is so rabid, unironically thinks Todd Howard is the world's greatest game designer, and takes any criticism of those games so bizarrely personally. God forbid you say New Vegas was your favorite Fallout game.

I think that sentiment toward Todd Howard has rapidly changed in the last 3-4 years. This buyout by Microsoft is probably the best thing that could've happened to the company, hopefully they oust Todd now.

Also your experience with people attacking you for saying New Vegas was your favorite is the complete opposite of my experience. I'm a fan of all the 3D Fallouts, except 76, never played it, I've seen nothing but pure praise for NV and in my experience if you say anything that is subjective but suggesting that 3 or 4 is better in any way, say the environment, they'll hang you from the rafters calling you a false fan, etc. Then again, maybe its like that in every direction and really plays into the rabid fanbase comment.

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 07:59:38

Fallout 76

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 08:36:53

The game that people ruined for me would be the Dark Souls games, because people are always saying how hard the game is and how mad people get at the game made me not want to even try those type games.

At 9/25/20 07:59 AM, SirKaotik wrote: Fallout 76

I have agree, I don't think 76 is all bad but could be better!

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 18:48:29 (edited 2020-09-25 18:49:30)

I stopped enjoying pokemon around black and white. The previous generations brought enough new graphics or mechanics to be interesting, but gen 5 was hard to care about. X was fun, and even though I bought Moon I didn't even finish it. Didn't bother buying anything past a used 3ds XL to play my ds games on. Peaked at gen 4 and Explorers of Sky is the best imo.

Star Trek online ruined itself for me. I had just started and been playing for a few days, was super into it. Got the bright idea to go to Andoria and see if they built the underground cities. I just think Andorians are neat. All blue and strong and willful. They did not make the cities, at least not that I could find. Got stuck somehow trying to leave orbit. Submitted a help ticket and the fuckers told me to make a new character. I spent like 2 hours getting her just so in the character creator. Loved her. Loved my little ship. Customized my crew. It was all so aesthetic. So much space fun. Was so deflated that they wouldn't/couldn't fix something so simple that I just deleted it and gave up. The game had other issues for sure but I was still having a good time up until then. So, customer service changed my mind on it.

Don't y'all even mention that new animated series. Please. For sanity's sake. I just got over being mad about it.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 21:05:16

It's easy for me to bag on any game I haven't played for the memes, but once I play it I usually judge it on its own merit and not based on what someone else told me to feel.

That said, some multiplayer games were ruined by others because of the inherent nature of multiplayer games - can't play them if there's only hackers, bullshitters or nobody playing them...

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 21:07:36

At 9/25/20 09:05 PM, Gimmick wrote: It's easy for me to bag on any game I haven't played for the memes, but once I play it I usually judge it on its own merit and not based on what someone else told me to feel.

i want to be like that, but it's hard for me sometimes...

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-25 22:29:31

Zelda. I never really enjoyed the games when I was young because I disliked progression gating puzzles, but it also didn't help that everyone who I know of that has played through the games seems to think they have elder brain levels of intellect, with an ego to match.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-26 03:26:14

Mine wasn't ruined by anyone, but Red Dead 1 was ruined for me because I played Red Dead 2 in its entirety first. It spoiled me, and even though I set my expectations lower for a game that's 10 or so years old, I was just bored to death every second I played of it. People have vices with RDR2, But it's genuinely one of the best games I've ever played.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-26 05:23:53 (edited 2020-09-26 05:29:47)

Mine wasn't ruined by other people, but i need this to vent. Need For Speed (2015) blows. I was excited to finally come back to a NFS game since 'Most Wanted'. The customisation and atmosphere were up my ally. I wanted to drift around and rice up my skyline, but then it it got so ridiculous and hard, ruined everything for me. Drifting is fucking stupid, unpredictable ice-skating, and those dumb fucking gymkhana races, can't even progress, how do you fuck up an arcade game? Fuck that game, I can't believe I asked for it for Christmas and it didn't even come out that year! Fuck Ghost Games. Fuck EA. EA Sports? More like EA-T my dick for sport, challenge deez nutz, it's in the Gayme, bitch...

"Gutter Trash!"

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-26 05:43:57

Yoda stories was the best but after beating it 100 times it really loses its replay value

Wut wut

$imlunchboxx

Buy ImLunchboxx dm me NOW!

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-09-26 10:39:10

At 9/22/20 11:08 PM, WhiteCheddarKasai wrote: Are there any games you used to like/thought were just okay, but were indirectly ruined for you by other people, through negativity and such?

Bored Witch's Castle?

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-02 12:30:19

Fallout to an extent. I love the whole series, but there's such a needlessly aggressive rivalry between Fallout 3 and New Vegas, everyone absolutely insists one is perfection (usually NV) and the other is the single most disgusting insult to gaming ever developed. Despite being about 90% identical and Fallout 3 having many strengths that NV dropped (while making up for it in other ways).

It's just annoying, as a through and through fan, that any discussion about this series has such aggression and negativity, everything must be the absolute best or the absolute worst, and all this fucking smug bullshit superiority people have over liking one game more than another. Fuck off with all of it.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-03 09:42:12 (edited 2020-10-03 09:49:59)

Among Us, before the game gets popular it was really peaceful and some good people to play, now sadly the game has a country of cheaters, kids, and toxicity, and i dont forget of some people that wanted my phone number.

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-03 16:33:10

Personally, I try to let the game itself speak on how good it is, and take the fanbase hype with a degree of salt. Easier said than done, though.

I wouldn’t say ruined, but with all of the noise surrounding Nier: Automata when it first came out and people giving 9 and 10s honestly tainted my view of the game. While I still don’t think it’s a bad game per se, it was still baffling to me why we put Yoko Taro on such a high pedestal now when every other game he made was mediocre at best, and N:A was essentially an identity crisis in design and tone, with a fractured story and a bloated combat system. I can appreciate the attempts at making a deep story, but even then, it came off so tryhard at times, I stopped taking it seriously in the second half of the first playthrough, and never played it again.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-05 18:37:51 (edited 2020-10-05 18:39:32)

I loved Smash Bros since the first game, but I'm kinda overwhelmed by the latest one.

There's so many characters I've never heard of, or ones that feel like they don't belong in a Nintendo game - it's like I've fallen behind in video game trends. The games also seem way more competitive now - I used to be good at the games in a small local group, but now that everything's online, I feel like I'm shit at them!

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-07 13:45:16

Space Station 13. I started playing in the 2000s and the community saw so much drama wars and changes over time that it was barely recognizable to what I was used to. The last straw for me was when some prominent users were discovered to be pedophiles. Now whenever I play it, I'm just reminded of that and I feel sick.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-09 07:08:01

I'll keep it short, since alot of people felt like pouring out a story here. I tried honest to goodness pen and paper roleplaying games and played for a while with a few different systems. This actual roleplaying experience was so much more fun and direct than the 1000000 ""RPG"" video games where you are prisoner to the script and stuck grinding for money and power in a way that only a chimp would do. It makes it hard to go back and even more frusterating to play anything but the very best of RPG video games I have played.

Even then there is some stigma and tension of having no real power in what happens.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-09 13:32:22 (edited 2020-10-09 13:45:00)

Hmmm run and gun and jumping like a deer in fps franchise games that are supposed to be somewhat realistic and tactical.

Key rings and stupid camos in rainbow six, so i stick to old ravenshield.

But most importantly...

Statistics, or rather the way its used to belittle others in every way possible . In team based games, people would rather lose a game to keep their beloved statistics page intact. Completely irrationnal but look:

Cover me? Fire some bullets around that entrance while we move; the enemy will be too scared to enter the area and we can flank them and take the objective?

No, because it will ruin my precision score if i shoot at a wall rather than a person and my 2 facebook friends are gonna mock me for my poor stats. -_-

Every damn team game is ruined by this cancer stat shaming that prevents people to have fun and try new things...

People get crazy, angry and don't enjoy the game anymore. You even read stuff like "HOW TO OVERCOME RANKED ANXIETY?"; players getting scared to start a game because if they lose, they will lose some arbitrary rank and status in the "community". (yeah and you will lose your job, your house wife and kids too i guess... :D)

Its just crazy to me and i enjoy playing to win and being competitive.

I dont give a damn about stats other than curiosity and at best as an indicator to where i could improve if i wished.

But sooooo many players only swear by them as a metric for human being value irl and it makes their life miserable, and they become annoying control freaks in game.

Well my doctor is probably iron VII in League Of Legends but still a better human being than a crazed challenger streamer who is good at the game but strives to makes other miserable by insulting them 24/7 from the safety of his screen and rages like a baby if he loses...

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-10 21:07:19

Runescape... was fun for me regardless of what happened and nobody could convince me it was a terrible game.

That is until Evolution of Combat came out and what they claimed to "improve" the game only simplified it to the point where it just wasn't fun. Sure they rereleased "07Scape" aka Old School Runescape, but the damage had been done. It's just not the same as it used to be.

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-11 20:56:30

I used to live for Kingdom Hearts. Too bad the fandom is run by misogynists with victim complexes.

On a side note, Fire Emblem would be so much better without avatars because the fandom favoritism is unbearable. Female Byleth takes up nearly all the Three Houses fan content and yet the same fans are screeching because Male Byleth got an amiibo.

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-11 22:33:58

At 10/11/20 08:56 PM, JoshikoF wrote: I used to live for Kingdom Hearts. Too bad the fandom is run by misogynists with victim complexes.

On a side note, Fire Emblem would be so much better without avatars because the fandom favoritism is unbearable. Female Byleth takes up nearly all the Three Houses fan content and yet the same fans are screeching because Male Byleth got an amiibo.

I personally love the avatars in Fire Emblem, but yeah, the favoritism is quite annoying to me. Much of the fandom is, which is why I began avoiding it early because I really do like this series

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-12 20:11:15

I have a Scale of "Dislike" Based on the games I don't like.

Should I just give the maximum of the scale or make an entire spreadsheet of the many sinful things many games contain?

The game I hate the most is Destiny 2, Just to sate the appetites... But as to why I hate it? That's... Extremely, Extremely personal. And I'm probably a bit of an asshole for the reasons I don't like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Games ruined for you 2020-10-17 18:48:25

Thats how i feel about gta with how men think about it

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW