00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION

233 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This thread is for the 2020 Halloween writing contest discussion. In this thread you will post any questions/comments/pictures of food.

Do NOT post your entries in this thread.

You'll post your entries in the official entry thread here.

This thread will also have all rules, prizes, whatever

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-13 22:52:14

OMG YES!!!

I've been waiting for this since you hinted about it a few weeks ago asking for judges. Can't wait to start my work!

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-14 07:21:09

iu_167868_8146500.jpg

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-14 08:48:45

My question (which I accidentally put in the entry thread cause I am a massive dumbass) was - would you accept a story leading up to the end of the world (so how it happens basically) or does it have to after?

Cause End of The World theme could just be.. end of the world ;(

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-14 13:13:29

I deleted some posts from the entry thread where we were just chit chatting --- no one is in trouble! Just house cleaning!

We have judge #2 @The-Great-One

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-14 13:14:05

At 9/14/20 08:48 AM, Gagsy wrote: My question (which I accidentally put in the entry thread cause I am a massive dumbass) was - would you accept a story leading up to the end of the world (so how it happens basically) or does it have to after?

Cause End of The World theme could just be.. end of the world ;(

That would be fine!

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-15 17:35:28

Wooo!!! Just submitted my story. Love this genre, so it was super easy to get something together for the contest. I'm actually proud of myself for how it came out, too, since I haven't written anything in a WHILE.

Super excited to see all the stories between now and Halloween :D

Just another nobody trying hard to be a somebody.

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-16 01:01:01

As @willKMR suggested to me, I'm going to be monitoring the original thread to see what some of the best stories are (aside from the ones that get prizes as well) and include them in the EBE zine next issue. Showing off the writing skills of some NGers doesn't sound like such a bad idea, does it?

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-16 15:20:33

Okay so this idea I have isn't about the end of the world, but the story sort-of chronicles the events leading up to the end. Said end of the world is very significant to the story and what I wanna say through it, but it's no apocalypse story.

Is that still allowed?

I am my father's son.

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-16 15:50:32

At 9/16/20 03:20 PM, PurpleShoes wrote: Okay so this idea I have isn't about the end of the world, but the story sort-of chronicles the events leading up to the end. Said end of the world is very significant to the story and what I wanna say through it, but it's no apocalypse story.
Is that still allowed?

Yep!

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-16 19:00:07

Are there any word minimums or maximums? Would like to know so I can plan accordingly.

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-16 19:44:49

At 9/16/20 07:00 PM, TopazAzul wrote: Are there any word minimums or maximums? Would like to know so I can plan accordingly.

No minimum but it should be a short story, so obviously one paragraph won't cut it. No maximum either but if someone writes like a 65 page story, judging will take us awhile 😄

BBS Signature

At 9/16/20 07:44 PM, SevenSeize4President wrote:
At 9/16/20 07:00 PM, TopazAzul wrote: Are there any word minimums or maximums? Would like to know so I can plan accordingly.
No minimum but it should be a short story, so obviously one paragraph won't cut it. No maximum either but if someone writes like a 65 page story, judging will take us awhile 😄

Last years top 3 had a pretty big range of word counts. There was 4600, 3700, and 7300 words for first through third, respectively. I'd hazard a guess that somewhere between 2000 and 5000 is the optimal range for a contest like this, but there will definitely be outliers who perform well with fewer or more words.

The biggest thing with short stores, I find, is that every word counts. In a novel, you may have time to establish a setting and a world, and your inciting incident / call to adventure may not even occur until 2000-5000 words into a novel. With short stories it's important to get to the point. Short stories, however, allow you to be a bit more creative with your formats. Something that might be annoying to read 300 pages of, will be very interesting in a 4 page story.

My advice is to write what you want to write. Write more than you need, and pare down from there. Throw away your weakest scene. Throw away your filler words. Throw away your lengthy description of something mundane in favour of a brief description of something important.

@LiamRomK @Dranj will you be competing again this year?

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-17 06:30:23

@Peaceblossom

As much as I love the Halloween contest, after winning two in a row I think it would be greedy to come after the prize money again. I'd much rather use my perspective to highlight other talented writers and foster the community. As such, I am more than happy to participate as a judge if @SevenSeize4President still needs assistance.

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-17 06:31:52

At 9/17/20 06:30 AM, Dranj wrote: @Peaceblossom

As much as I love the Halloween contest, after winning two in a row I think it would be greedy to come after the prize money again. I'd much rather use my perspective to highlight other talented writers and foster the community. As such, I am more than happy to participate as a judge if @SevenSeize4President still needs assistance.

I do need one more judge! Glad to have you aboard!

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-22 20:20:01

@Xenogeist is looking for the old NG blog. Can anyone help?

BBS Signature

Response to Hall-20 Writing contest DISCUSSION 2020-09-25 14:38:06

Been a very, very long time since I've written anything substantial, but I'll throw my hat into the ring, see how it shakes out. :D Hope for the best, and GL to everyone else participating. o/

Music. Art. Writing. Love.

BBS Signature