00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The Official NG Fanzine Thread

319 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-13 10:14:35

For the unfortunate souls who saw my very poorly-conducted interview on the NG Podcast yesterday, you already know what this is all about.

For those who don't know, I shall explain.

I am currently in the process of trying to launch my own fanzine for Newgrounds, which I proudly call "Everything by Everyone". (I know that term is already trademarked but just hear me out.) If you're someone who spends way too much time in the forums, you probably recognize me for having talked about a possible magazine for NG way back in July, in which most of y'all just memed about it. Well guess what? I actually did it! (more info on that attempt below)

So there's a number of reasons why I think this would be a good idea:

• Newgrounds as a website is quite the anomaly in 2020. For 20+ years we have operated as a community where creative freedom is number one, and corporate monopoly over the content of the site is essentially nonexistent. There are perhaps millions of people across the internet who are fed up with how corporatized it has become and want something different, yet very few of them have even a clue of what NG is anymore. So having an online publication run by us would be a pretty good way of attracting attention for ourselves.

• Zines in general are just a great way of bringing artists together to collectively on something great. Having something to really showcase the talents of many and bring lots of different perspectives to it, etc., all in the convenience of a single meta super-publication, could do wonders for really generating the most interesting conversations to be had about us as a community and who we are; something that can't really happen on the forums or even that much on the podcasts.

• It could be a good way to highlight other online spaces where creative freedom is flourishing. This is the part where it gets corny, but I truly believe this zine has the potential to become something of a unifying force for independent artists and communities all across the internet. In an age where our freedom is being increasingly trampled on by big corporations that only care about dishing out content for profit and don't want anything remotely "challenging" in the way, indie content creators really need to stick together and support each other. An online magazine, I think, would be a really awesome way to bring as many people as possible together and bring them an outlet that stands with them. Because there really isn't any online magazine or anything similar at the moment that really focuses specifically on independent content creators, and creative freedom on the internet in general. We would still obviously be about Newgrounds first, but getting to the point where we're large enough to start dedicating entire sections of the zine to non-NG-related content, that would a great thing in my opinion.

Anyways, with all that out of the way, I actually did go ahead myself to make something of an "attempt" at my own Newgrounds fanzine, which I shall link now.

This is the proud(?) publication date of Everything by Everyone: July 2020

"Cover"

https://sway.office.com/PuILUdOjvszDFhHA?ref=Link

Copyright disclaimer

https://sway.office.com/zbo9DNpryulEUuBA?ref=Link

"Introduction"

https://sway.office.com/PpwQsp7d2wdAQq0r?ref=Link

"In the News"

https://sway.office.com/irBmHzQf4lRTH15w?ref=Link

"Best of the Month"

https://sway.office.com/kvxwitKtk6Z3m2NE?ref=Link

"Articles"

https://sway.office.com/BHUqNkIjdEYD1HTz?ref=Link

Why July and not, August or September? Because I started this project in late July and it took me until August to complete it. I got lazy at points.

But the main purpose of this "prototype" of mine is not to act as an official launch of this zine. I pretty much made this whole thing as more of an attempt at a template for how I think the fanzine would look. This is 100% my sole interpretation and I'm not even interested in doing it all myself; I literally only made this to try and find out what community thinks of the whole idea itself, how it can be changed and improved upon, etc. So yeah, take pretty much this entire thing with a big old grain of salt.

After all, this isn't about me, it's about you guys. I just want to know what people here think could be done about a possible fanzine of Newgrounds, and the kind of content that could go on it. Whether you want to directly contribute to it yourself or just have suggestions, let's hear about it! I personally really want this to end up going somewhere and I'm very interested in hearing what the rest of y'all have to say.

Also, what do you think of my own "attempt" at the zine above? Some feedback on that too would be nice.

I like it! It is a lot to read though.

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-13 11:03:39

At 9/13/20 10:44 AM, olskoo wrote: I like it! It is a lot to read though.

yeah, if you want some ideas you can ask me

https://codepen.io/sekhem-the-styleful/pen/NWNzPeo

do sth like that (put some more effort that i did - i only used two pics of yours), but have a collapsible table of contents so it's a lot more manageable and visual (like a magazine)

𓌂

BBS Signature

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-13 11:43:42

It is indeed. I'm not actually expecting people to read it all, it's more the structure of it that I'm trying to show off.

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-13 12:32:51

I prefer a pdf form. Very well made.

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-15 23:14:15

At 9/15/20 10:58 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote:
At 9/13/20 12:32 PM, SatanBrain wrote: I prefer a pdf form. Very well made.
Here it is. Sorry it took so long, life got chaotic for a little bit.

Here's a simpleton Google Docs version just in case.

First link gives me about:blank#blocked

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-16 00:55:39

At 9/15/20 11:14 PM, olskoo wrote:
At 9/15/20 10:58 PM, HavryloThePigeon wrote:
At 9/13/20 12:32 PM, SatanBrain wrote: I prefer a pdf form. Very well made.
Here it is. Sorry it took so long, life got chaotic for a little bit.

Here's a simpleton Google Docs version just in case.
First link gives me about:blank#blocked

I suck at this PDF thing. I'm about to bed but I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-16 01:24:56

It does seem similar to what I'm producing called The Tank Tribune. Although mine acts more like a newspaper with highlights of last week with looks back at the past as well. A magazine for Newgrounds would be pretty damn cool so I'm all for it, I feel it could be fleshed out more.

I think you need a better name. Everything, By Everyone as Newgrounds slogan now isn't a bad placeholder. I feel there could be something better. I'm scratching my brain trying to think of something.

I am a writer for the aforementioned Tribune and The Interviewer. If there is anyway I can help or offer feedback then please let me know!

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-16 09:35:19

At 9/16/20 01:24 AM, The-Great-One wrote: It does seem similar to what I'm producing called The Tank Tribune. Although mine acts more like a newspaper with highlights of last week with looks back at the past as well. A magazine for Newgrounds would be pretty damn cool so I'm all for it, I feel it could be fleshed out more.

I think you need a better name. Everything, By Everyone as Newgrounds slogan now isn't a bad placeholder. I feel there could be something better. I'm scratching my brain trying to think of something.

I am a writer for the aforementioned Tribune and The Interviewer. If there is anyway I can help or offer feedback then please let me know!

What you're doing is really awesome. You're really good at congregating pretty much everything on the site and condensing it all into one place at a time for people to take a gander at, and that is really really great, like I'm amazed at how dedicated you are to covering everything. I hope you don't think I'm trying to rip you off or anything! The Interviewer is amazing too. Truthfully I didn't even know about the Tank Tribune until like a week ago, which is quite the slip-up on my part. (But I have actually been following the Interviewer for a bit.)

My whole intention with this zine of mine (title will definitely change) is to provide a more in-depth look at the content on Newgrounds, and other online art spaces in general as well. More so than just curating everything, I think it would be really cool if we could have people actually writing in-depth articles/essays/whatever about artists, artistry, current major events in the art world, hot takes, that kind of thing. I mean it's pretty obvious from the current first "issue" I made that I'm not exactly the best curator; I really love to just write about stuff. And just scrolling through this Tank Tribune more so than I've done before, you've unquestionably beat me to the curating game. Like this is crazy shit man. (Tank Tribune is also just a much better name.)

Maybe that's what I'm better off doing, just simply writing about stuff that people want to see written about. In fact that was essentially my vision from the start, for this little zine being a thing for people to read, not just look at. I'm not sure if a whole lot of people are ultra-interested in that, but I think that is ultimately where my passion is.

Anyways, good luck to you with the Tank Tribune man! I do actually feel bad because for the longest time I didn't know about this, but I'm definitely following it now! I'm sure it'll be a great source for finding material to write about. And your Interviewer series too!

At 9/13/20 11:03 AM, Sekhem wrote:
yeah, if you want some ideas you can ask me

https://codepen.io/sekhem-the-styleful/pen/NWNzPeo

do sth like that (put some more effort that i did - i only used two pics of yours), but have a collapsible table of contents so it's a lot more manageable and visual (like a magazine)

That looks really cool! I've been meaning to check out CodePen for a while, so this might just be the right time. (sorry about not responding earlier, i was going to reply but i totally forgot)

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-19 11:59:26

looks pretty good. i'm not much of a web design guy so on a technical front i don't have anything much to suggest, seems well made enough (apart from each section needing its own link of course, which you have basically addressed already.) obvious suggestion for a prim and proper version is obvious, but getting a newgrounds artists to do a custom cover for each edition would probably be cool.

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-19 12:01:20

Great job men

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-19 14:17:22

lucky pigeon in a newgrounds podcast for 1st time

im staring at you

flagging every stolen content

-hi there newbie-

BBS Signature

Response to The Official NG Fanzine Thread 2020-09-19 20:49:49

I wanna see more!

Finally bringing back an older sig after years

BBS Signature