00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay?

694 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2020-09-12 16:38:59

Do you guys like or hate syntax highlighting? The way I see it is that it's a convenient feature, but often I find myself fighting it so I seldom use it. You don't really need it, but it's always nice to have there. I don't like to become dependent on it because that would limit what text editors I could use when there have been many good ones made in the decades that don't come with syntax highlighting built in. What about you guys? Do you like syntax highlighting or not?

"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work"

~Thomas Edison.

Embrace failure, embrace mistakes, each one is another step to success.

Response to Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2020-09-12 19:27:31

Uhm... it makes coding easier and faster so why in the world would anyone not like and use it?

If an editor doesn't support it, then get a plugin for that editor that does.

If that plugin doesn't exist then it's a bad editor anyway and why would you use an editor that is designed to make coding more difficult and take longer?

And what the hell do you mean by "fighting" it? Uhm.. you shouldn't fight useful IDE features, you should embrace them and get used to them.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Response to Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2020-09-12 20:22:19

At 9/12/20 07:27 PM, sharpnova wrote: And what the hell do you mean by "fighting" it? Uhm.. you shouldn't fight useful IDE features, you should embrace them and get used to them.

I've had cases where depending on my coloring scheme I used for my terminal emulator that the colors clashed very heavily against it or blended in. I prefer to use a terminal emulator rather than a full blown IDE. And I sincerely used ed(1) as my daily editor along with vi. I posted a copypasta once on general about ed, but I actually do use ed quite often because it's simple, minimalist, and just works. I love ed. What IDE do you use?

"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work"

~Thomas Edison.

Embrace failure, embrace mistakes, each one is another step to success.

Response to Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2020-09-13 00:14:51

At 9/12/20 08:22 PM, tehdroopy wrote: I've had cases where depending on my coloring scheme I used for my terminal emulator that the colors clashed very heavily against it or blended in. I prefer to use a terminal emulator rather than a full blown IDE. And I sincerely used ed(1) as my daily editor along with vi. I posted a copypasta once on general about ed, but I actually do use ed quite often because it's simple, minimalist, and just works. I love ed. What IDE do you use?

Visual Studio. Because it's insanely powerful and useful.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Response to Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2020-12-20 05:54:36

At 9/12/20 04:38 PM, tehdroopy wrote: Do you guys like or hate syntax highlighting? The way I see it is that it's a convenient feature, but often I find myself fighting it so I seldom use it.

I've heard people say that it makes things more difficult for them while typing. But I LOVE it. I make websites using PHPstorm, and it's so useful. Also useful is "Emmet", writing a short code that gets expanded into html so you don't have to be verbose.

My game LEWD MOD: DEMO - FULL GAME

Response to Syntax Highlighting: Yay or Nay? 2021-01-01 02:59:28

Syntax highlighting is a great software feature. But at the end of the day, it is personal opinion.

There are times when I find myself "fighting" with some editors through. I use JetBeans Rider or Visual Studio for most of my engineering work. Sometimes I find myself unhappy with a particular feature of it's syntax highlighting. But the editors have an overwhelming number of settings that I cannot find the settings that I want to change, and have to google it like a programming problem. This is solvable of course, but there is still frustration in navigating it.

BBS Signature