00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Stop treating politics like sports teams

378 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

iu_163167_8074094.jpg

For the past 6 or so years, politics has been completely unavoidable. Even worse, in an impressive display of arrogance, anyone who doesn't want to be political is labeled as the dreaded centralist. The undecided fence sitter because in $CURRENT_YEAR not being political is itself a political decision. What is it going to take to make this end? Are we going to have to ban all forms of social media and let the internet be for apolitical nerds only? That isn't a bad idea in all honesty. I'm sick of twatter and failbook being everywhere. The japanese internet seems to be the only part of the internet that isn't political because you get glorious web 1.0 interface straight from the 90s without the javascript bloat and the rest of the baggage it comes with. I ask you newgrounds, how can we depoliticize the internet?


"Why did you post this in the politics section if you're so sick of politics?"

Because it's a political question. Duh. And a political question should go in the politics section of course.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 09:27:20


Would be nice if we could get out of this 2 party stranglehold we've ad going on in the US.


BBS Signature

While I agree that people shouldn't be some fanatical fan of a political party, blindly voting for one out of spite for another, it doesn't change the fact that the parties have policies that can affect us all. If people can ignore the name calling, their hurt feelings, and actually focouse on policies that they believe in and can affect the economy (socioeconomic), their health, the environment, laws and law enforcement, then they would be better off, along with the rest of the country.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 14:10:04


At 9/2/20 01:57 PM, EdyKel wrote: While I agree that people shouldn't be some fanatical fan of a political party, blindly voting for one out of spite for another, it doesn't change the fact that the parties have policies that can affect us all. If people can ignore the name calling, their hurt feelings, and actually focouse on policies that they believe in and can affect the economy (socioeconomic), their health, the environment, laws and law enforcement, then they would be better off, along with the rest of the country.


So listen to one another? Find some common ground and a way to reach it? Give a little bit here and gain something together? All sides can do this? Yeah... I tried that here. It didn't work.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 14:18:46


They call us centerist because they aren't smart enough to understand that there really are more than two ways to see the world or solve a problem.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 15:06:03


At 9/2/20 02:10 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/2/20 01:57 PM, EdyKel wrote: While I agree that people shouldn't be some fanatical fan of a political party, blindly voting for one out of spite for another, it doesn't change the fact that the parties have policies that can affect us all. If people can ignore the name calling, their hurt feelings, and actually focouse on policies that they believe in and can affect the economy (socioeconomic), their health, the environment, laws and law enforcement, then they would be better off, along with the rest of the country.
So listen to one another? Find some common ground and a way to reach it? Give a little bit here and gain something together? All sides can do this? Yeah... I tried that here. It didn't work.


I mostly post to express my thoughts, and dispute others when i disagree. I don't come here with the belief that I will change someone's opinion. Only they can do that themselves. I just hope people will recognize that there are more important things than treating politics as some type of sport, and that they need to grow some thicker skin - hopefully before our country burns down.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 15:11:47


At 9/2/20 09:10 AM, tehdroopy wrote: The japanese internet seems to be the only part of the internet that isn't political because you get glorious web 1.0 interface straight from the 90s without the javascript bloat and the rest of the baggage it comes with.


Funny, Japanese people usually say that Japanese politics is just as, if not even more toxic than their counterparts.


Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 15:39:45


ITT we are all football hooligans


smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot

why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 16:54:30


At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot


We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.


BBS Signature

At 9/2/20 04:54 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot
We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.


I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment, while inspiring armed vigilantes to hurt and kill protestors in the streets - angry protestors who are protesting a system that overwhelming targets people of race because of far right policies and rhetoric that hurts non-white, non-straight, non-Christians the most - is what steers a lot of people away from that party right now.


Not to mention, we have a president who is visibly stoking social unrest in hopes of convincing gullible and impressionable people to support him when he is keeping that dumpster fire going, while at the same time he is ignoring the pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people. It's like living through biblical times of plagues and fires, with the party in power claiming it will be worse under another President and party when it's already is that bad.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-02 19:49:53


Maybe we should start voting for people who are more interested in solving problems than using them for personal gain.


You would have to remove corporate campaign financing, disband the political parties, and then purge all politicians above the level of Town Mayor.


They are too far gone. They have to be removed, eliminated, burned, and then dumped into the sea.


I may be exaggerating for fun but the only way to fix this shit is to remove corporate campaign financing, change the political party system (if not get rid of it entirely), and replace all high ranking politicians.

In other words: It's not happening. We're going to be living with this until it collapses in on itself.


Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

At 9/2/20 07:29 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/2/20 04:54 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot
We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.
I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment.........


Yes you're back with more of your right bad no matter what, and left good no matter what kind of rhetoric. That didn't answer my question. When a mob of protesters goes and burns down a fast food place, or attacks some business I have doubts that they even know the political leanings of who owns it or who goes there.


The only thing it does is piss off the workers, or the customers, it's not making people who are not already on their side sympathize with them. Those businesses have little or nothing to do with what they are protesting.


BBS Signature

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 11:37:42


At 9/2/20 09:27 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: Would be nice if we could get out of this 2 party stranglehold we've ad going on in the US.


Then vote in some constitutionalists instead of bird wing populists.


Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 11:42:38


At 9/3/20 11:37 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 9/2/20 09:27 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: Would be nice if we could get out of this 2 party stranglehold we've ad going on in the US.
Then vote in some constitutionalists instead of bird wing populists.

RINOS don't like constitutionalists because they oppose the big profit war machine and anything actually involving the constitution. Democrats hate constitutionalists because something something racism something something who knows what the fuck it is this time. Both RINOS and the democrats are corporate pigs that want nothing to change except how much bickering there is among everyone.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 11:45:57


At 9/3/20 11:42 AM, tehdroopy wrote:
At 9/3/20 11:37 AM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 9/2/20 09:27 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: Would be nice if we could get out of this 2 party stranglehold we've ad going on in the US.
Then vote in some constitutionalists instead of bird wing populists.
RINOS don't like constitutionalists because they oppose the big profit war machine and anything actually involving the constitution. Democrats hate constitutionalists because something something racism something something who knows what the fuck it is this time. Both RINOS and the democrats are corporate pigs that want nothing to change except how much bickering there is among everyone.

Agreed.


But there are constitutionalists, just not anywhere near Trump, he's just another Israel agenda puppet, and he really loved 5G surveillance social credit systems too.


Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 13:41:52


At 9/3/20 03:51 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 07:29 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/2/20 04:54 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot
We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.
I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment.........
Yes you're back with more of your right bad no matter what, and left good no matter what kind of rhetoric. That didn't answer my question. When a mob of protesters goes and burns down a fast food place, or attacks some business I have doubts that they even know the political leanings of who owns it or who goes there.

The only thing it does is piss off the workers, or the customers, it's not making people who are not already on their side sympathize with them. Those businesses have little or nothing to do with what they are protesting.


Oh, it goes down to actual policies of theirs, and all the crazy shit they say and do, which often turns me off - especially on the federal level.


If you think the president of the US should be promoting chaos and violence, through support and demagoguery, while having a hypocritical argument against the violence in the protests, then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.


Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 14:18:35


At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.


Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.


Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.


BBS Signature

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 15:07:31


At 9/3/20 02:18 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.
Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.

Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.


So, responding to your response to my post, in a long chain of response over the same subject, is butting in? So who were you arguing with, again? Or were you trying to speak to the audience again in 1st person, as if you though you were breaking a 4tn wall or something - which isn't hard to do around here?

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 15:13:42


At 9/3/20 03:07 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 02:18 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.
Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.

Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.
So, responding to your response to my post, in a long chain of response..


We only have about 5 responses to the response you were responding to I wouldn't call that a long chain to respond to.



BBS Signature

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 19:15:46


At 9/3/20 03:13 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:07 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 02:18 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.
Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.

Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.
So, responding to your response to my post, in a long chain of response..
We only have about 5 responses to the response you were responding to I wouldn't call that a long chain to respond to.


So, you admit we were responding back to each other, then.


And all of this is in a long chain of responses we have had over the years over this very subject of violence of the left and right.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-03 19:25:36


At 9/3/20 07:15 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:13 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:07 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 02:18 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.
Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.

Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.
So, responding to your response to my post, in a long chain of response..
We only have about 5 responses to the response you were responding to I wouldn't call that a long chain to respond to.
So, you admit we were responding back to each other, then.

And all of this is in a long chain of responses we have had over the years over this very subject of violence of the left and right.


Who's the responder here, and who's the respondee?


BBS Signature

At 9/3/20 07:25 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 07:15 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:13 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:07 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/3/20 02:18 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/3/20 01:41 PM, EdyKel wrote: then you lost whatever argument you had against me before it got off the ground.
Argument I wasn't even talking to you. You butted in and tried to change the subject.

Stop treating politics like sports teams, take a chill pill grumpy.
So, responding to your response to my post, in a long chain of response..
We only have about 5 responses to the response you were responding to I wouldn't call that a long chain to respond to.
So, you admit we were responding back to each other, then.

And all of this is in a long chain of responses we have had over the years over this very subject of violence of the left and right.
Who's the responder here, and who's the respondee?


I think such a philosophical question is out of your league.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 03:29:04


At 9/2/20 09:10 AM, tehdroopy wrote: For the past 6 or so years, politics has been completely unavoidable. Even worse, in an impressive display of arrogance, anyone who doesn't want to be political is labeled as the dreaded centralist.


You're posting this in a forum called "politics" and you're asking on here to "depoliticize the internet."


You're basically asking for people to say you're a centrist by posting in a forum called politics and are stating that you have no opinion.


Are we going to have to ban all forms of social media and let the internet be for apolitical nerds only?


This would be stupid. Just find stuff you're concerned about and talk about it or don't. Don't let other people on the internet make you believe if you're not parroting big Democrat/Republican/(insert think-camp here) talking points that you have to start doing that. In turn, don't ruin what is many people's only outlet to out their political beliefs.


-con

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 03:40:17


At 9/2/20 07:29 PM, EdyKel wrote: I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment, while inspiring armed vigilantes to hurt and kill protestors in the streets - angry protestors who are protesting a system that overwhelming targets people of race because of far right policies and rhetoric that hurts non-white, non-straight, non-Christians the most - is what steers a lot of people away from that party right now.

Not to mention, we have a president who is visibly stoking social unrest in hopes of convincing gullible and impressionable people to support him when he is keeping that dumpster fire going, while at the same time he is ignoring the pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people. It's like living through biblical times of plagues and fires, with the party in power claiming it will be worse under another President and party when it's already is that bad.


Oh yeah. That's been a whole dumpster fire and a half. Trump's not recovering from this one. Especially when coupled with the fact that he's been silent about Hong Kong despite his many promises to be "tougher on China". He's just that dedicated to pretending to be an authoritarian. I was with him in 2016, I thought he'd bring life back to this state and the rest of the heartland, and he did to some extent, but then the miracle faded quite quickly. To be fair, this state would have gone to shit under Hillary too but boy if it wouldn't have gone to shit for the folks on the reservations either way.


I think I'm voting Biden and I kind of hate that I have to do that because he's one of the shittier picks out of the Democrat candidates. He's not gonna do shit for South Dakota or the reservations.


-con

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 08:44:18


At 9/2/20 09:10 AM, tehdroopy wrote:
For the past 6 or so years, politics has been completely unavoidable. Even worse, in an impressive display of arrogance, anyone who doesn't want to be political is labeled as the dreaded centralist. The undecided fence sitter because in $CURRENT_YEAR not being political is itself a political decision. What is it going to take to make this end? Are we going to have to ban all forms of social media and let the internet be for apolitical nerds only? That isn't a bad idea in all honesty. I'm sick of twatter and failbook being everywhere. The japanese internet seems to be the only part of the internet that isn't political because you get glorious web 1.0 interface straight from the 90s without the javascript bloat and the rest of the baggage it comes with. I ask you newgrounds, how can we depoliticize the internet?

"Why did you post this in the politics section if you're so sick of politics?"
Because it's a political question. Duh. And a political question should go in the politics section of course.


Not being political actually is a political decision. You can't sit still on a moving train. And it isn't exactly difficult to ignore politics on the internet. As you yourself pointed out, going on the politics forum is a bad way to do that.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 08:45:48


At 9/9/20 03:29 AM, conSD wrote: You're posting this in a forum called "politics" and you're asking on here to "depoliticize the internet."

What a radical idea posting a political discussion in the politics subforum. That's like asking why are you taking about video games on the video games subforum. I didn't want to post this on general, so the politics subforum it is.


You're basically asking for people to say you're a centrist by posting in a forum called politics and are stating that you have no opinion.

You see, there you go. Don't lockstep into one of two political camps or don't like politics period, you're le centralist. And you clearly don't know me. If you've followed my posts you would see that I've been much more critical of the left than the right.


This would be stupid. Just find stuff you're concerned about and talk about it or don't. Don't let other people on the internet make you believe if you're not parroting big Democrat/Republican/(insert think-camp here) talking points that you have to start doing that. In turn, don't ruin what is many people's only outlet to out their political beliefs.

The internet was far better when majority of it was just nerds talking about niche stuff and told those who wanted to be political to were told to fuck off and keep it on their shitty blog nobody cares about. The world would improve instantly if every single government in the world banned twitter, facebook, and reddit. Social media is in reality a disease that has no current cure for.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 08:45:55


At 9/2/20 02:10 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 9/2/20 01:57 PM, EdyKel wrote: While I agree that people shouldn't be some fanatical fan of a political party, blindly voting for one out of spite for another, it doesn't change the fact that the parties have policies that can affect us all. If people can ignore the name calling, their hurt feelings, and actually focouse on policies that they believe in and can affect the economy (socioeconomic), their health, the environment, laws and law enforcement, then they would be better off, along with the rest of the country.
So listen to one another? Find some common ground and a way to reach it? Give a little bit here and gain something together? All sides can do this? Yeah... I tried that here. It didn't work.


I'm sorry the mean people called you a boomer.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 09:13:42


At 9/3/20 03:51 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 07:29 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/2/20 04:54 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot
We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.
I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment.........
Yes you're back with more of your right bad no matter what, and left good no matter what kind of rhetoric. That didn't answer my question. When a mob of protesters goes and burns down a fast food place, or attacks some business I have doubts that they even know the political leanings of who owns it or who goes there.

The only thing it does is piss off the workers, or the customers, it's not making people who are not already on their side sympathize with them. Those businesses have little or nothing to do with what they are protesting.


Most protestors aren't doing stuff like that, and those businesses often do have to do with what they're protesting, because most large corporations make signifiant contributions to police unions. That property damage also creates media attention to get their cause heard, and I think it should be pretty obvious that the protests and demonstrations have been at least somewhat successful in that, although the degree to which property damage contributed to that success is debatable. I do agree that destroying a small business is pretty inexcusable though.

Response to Stop treating politics like sports teams 2020-09-09 12:43:50


At 9/9/20 09:13 AM, Margrave-Belial wrote:
At 9/3/20 03:51 AM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 07:29 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 9/2/20 04:54 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
At 9/2/20 03:39 PM, BUM-DRILLER wrote: ITT we are all football hooligans

smashes a car
starts a profane chant
starts a race riot
We do protesters think that destroying some randos property is helping their side. Who ever owns it is just going to hate them, and probably end up voting for the other side out of spite.
I think Republicans, who have no answer to police brutality and killings of unarmed people other than giving them more militarized equipment.........
Yes you're back with more of your right bad no matter what, and left good no matter what kind of rhetoric. That didn't answer my question. When a mob of protesters goes and burns down a fast food place, or attacks some business I have doubts that they even know the political leanings of who owns it or who goes there.

The only thing it does is piss off the workers, or the customers, it's not making people who are not already on their side sympathize with them. Those businesses have little or nothing to do with what they are protesting.
Most protestors aren't doing stuff like that, and those businesses often do have to do with what they're protesting, because most large corporations make signifiant contributions to police unions. That property damage also creates media attention to get their cause heard, and I think it should be pretty obvious that the protests and demonstrations have been at least somewhat successful in that, although the degree to which property damage contributed to that success is debatable. I do agree that destroying a small business is pretty inexcusable though.


But that burning of property is not bringing support to their cause, and the longer it continues it may actually repel people from it. A lot of it is also hurting poor communities. And it has become an optics opportunity for the right, which has led many right-wing groups to agitate protestors by attacking them or even participating in property destruction.