00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Jam Trax

405 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Jam Trax 2020-08-23 21:47:40


Hey y'all, I'm putting out an APB on some cool tracks from the audio portal that you could jam along with. Any style and tempo.


Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-24 11:00:39


Ok... what would people say to an NG solo off? Like any instrument, programmed or played, nothing that would gatekeep it from any one. Just pick a track and everyone compose a top-line melody/solo to it? We don't even need to make it a competition, personally I'd just be interested to hear the differences in approach.


Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-24 16:51:54


At 8/24/20 11:00 AM, AkioDaku wrote: Ok... what would people say to an NG solo off? Like any instrument, programmed or played, nothing that would gatekeep it from any one. Just pick a track and everyone compose a top-line melody/solo to it? We don't even need to make it a competition, personally I'd just be interested to hear the differences in approach.


I very much like that idea.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-24 17:16:50 (edited 2020-08-24 17:17:36)


At 8/24/20 04:51 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/24/20 11:00 AM, AkioDaku wrote: Ok... what would people say to an NG solo off? Like any instrument, programmed or played, nothing that would gatekeep it from any one. Just pick a track and everyone compose a top-line melody/solo to it? We don't even need to make it a competition, personally I'd just be interested to hear the differences in approach.
I very much like that idea.


Would you like to do the honours in said case and pick us a track to start with?

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-26 19:09:11


Lets Start With This One


sorry for the delay. Forgot my password.


I suppose a due date would be needed in order to keep this thread alive. Like a weekly or by-weekly submission per participant. But, thats if theres enough interest, of course.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 04:29:45


If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 06:48:53


At 8/27/20 04:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^


Same chords and voicings or just roughly keep the progression? I hope I said that right.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:06:37


At 8/26/20 07:09 PM, Joltopus wrote: Lets Start With This One

sorry for the delay. Forgot my password.

I suppose a due date would be needed in order to keep this thread alive. Like a weekly or by-weekly submission per participant. But, thats if theres enough interest, of course.


Great choice. 😁 Could we do it as a monthly rotation kinda deal? So say flux is the song now till the end of September.(just so then we can sync it to the months) Come the end of September, we put everyone's contributions into a September playlist so you can listen to everyone's solos for that month and we pick a new song for next month. No pressure no winners just an excuse to compose a melody a month. How does that sound as a possible way to do it? Oh also @Troisnyx what are the chords and I'll throw them in for you either this afternoon or tomorrow depending on where I get to today. Oh and no pressure if you can't remember, just saves me having to transcribe it by ear if you can.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:08:03


At 8/27/20 07:06 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 8/26/20 07:09 PM, Joltopus wrote: Lets Start With This One

sorry for the delay. Forgot my password.

I suppose a due date would be needed in order to keep this thread alive. Like a weekly or by-weekly submission per participant. But, thats if theres enough interest, of course.
Great choice. 😁 Could we do it as a monthly rotation kinda deal? So say flux is the song now till the end of September.(just so then we can sync it to the months) Come the end of September, we put everyone's contributions into a September playlist so you can listen to everyone's solos for that month and we pick a new song for next month. No pressure no winners just an excuse to compose a melody a month. How does that sound as a possible way to do it? Oh also @Troisnyx what are the chords and I'll throw them in for you either this afternoon or tomorrow depending on where I get to today. Oh and no pressure if you can't remember, just saves me having to transcribe it by ear if you can.


Chords for which one in particular? 👀 Pick one you'd like to do, and I'll give them you.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:08:32


At 8/27/20 06:48 AM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/27/20 04:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^
Same chords and voicings or just roughly keep the progression? I hope I said that right.


You could, in theory, have a bit of both. So long as it fits. 😁

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:15:59


At 8/27/20 07:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/27/20 06:48 AM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/27/20 04:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^
Same chords and voicings or just roughly keep the progression? I hope I said that right.
You could, in theory, have a bit of both. So long as it fits. 😁


This one please;



Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:32:09 (edited 2020-08-27 07:32:56)


At 8/27/20 07:15 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 8/27/20 07:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/27/20 06:48 AM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/27/20 04:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^
Same chords and voicings or just roughly keep the progression? I hope I said that right.
You could, in theory, have a bit of both. So long as it fits. 😁
This one please;

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/817895


It'll be chord (count), so it goes like this.


C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) D7/C (2)

G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) G9/B (2)


Rinse and repeat. The /note indicates which note is the bassline.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 07:33:43


At 8/27/20 07:32 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/27/20 07:15 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 8/27/20 07:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/27/20 06:48 AM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/27/20 04:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: If anyone could redo the chords / play them with some sort of just sloppy guitar, I might lay some percussion down. ^_^
Same chords and voicings or just roughly keep the progression? I hope I said that right.
You could, in theory, have a bit of both. So long as it fits. 😁
This one please;

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/817895
It'll be chord (count), so it goes like this.

C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) G9/B (2) C (6) D7/C (2)
G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) D/F# (2) G (6) G9/B (2)

Rinse and repeat. The /note indicates which note is the bassline.


Perfect!


Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 08:14:30


At 8/27/20 07:06 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 8/26/20 07:09 PM, Joltopus wrote: Lets Start With This One

sorry for the delay. Forgot my password.

I suppose a due date would be needed in order to keep this thread alive. Like a weekly or by-weekly submission per participant. But, thats if theres enough interest, of course.
Great choice. 😁 Could we do it as a monthly rotation kinda deal? So say flux is the song now till the end of September.(just so then we can sync it to the months) Come the end of September, we put everyone's contributions into a September playlist so you can listen to everyone's solos for that month and we pick a new song for next month. No pressure no winners just an excuse to compose a melody a month. How does that sound as a possible way to do it? Oh also @Troisnyx what are the chords and I'll throw them in for you either this afternoon or tomorrow depending on where I get to today. Oh and no pressure if you can't remember, just saves me having to transcribe it by ear if you can.


That sounds great, actually. I'm terribly slow at projects like this but I'm very excited about it. Having a playlist of everyone's submissions also sounds like a cool idea and a great way to contrast different approaches. This is what's up.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 10:06:51


At 8/27/20 08:14 AM, Joltopus wrote:
At 8/27/20 07:06 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 8/26/20 07:09 PM, Joltopus wrote: Lets Start With This One

sorry for the delay. Forgot my password.

I suppose a due date would be needed in order to keep this thread alive. Like a weekly or by-weekly submission per participant. But, thats if theres enough interest, of course.
Great choice. 😁 Could we do it as a monthly rotation kinda deal? So say flux is the song now till the end of September.(just so then we can sync it to the months) Come the end of September, we put everyone's contributions into a September playlist so you can listen to everyone's solos for that month and we pick a new song for next month. No pressure no winners just an excuse to compose a melody a month. How does that sound as a possible way to do it? Oh also @Troisnyx what are the chords and I'll throw them in for you either this afternoon or tomorrow depending on where I get to today. Oh and no pressure if you can't remember, just saves me having to transcribe it by ear if you can.
That sounds great, actually. I'm terribly slow at projects like this but I'm very excited about it. Having a playlist of everyone's submissions also sounds like a cool idea and a great way to contrast different approaches. This is what's up.


Awesome! Yeah man, no point making it a pressured thing, I just want it to be a bit of fun for everyone. Oh and @Troisnyx here are those chords, I did em at 140BPM, I think that's what the original is at, just did one loop of the progression:


https://www.dropbox.com/s/zn1pbhkir6f8chc/Troinyx_Flux_Sloppy%20Guitar%20Chords.wav?dl=0


Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-27 12:45:02


Sounds like a fun way to try an improve my improv. Man that looks weird typed out... "Improve my improv". I might give it a whack for fun. Even if it ends up terrible, it's just for fun

Response to Jam Trax 2020-08-28 19:03:33


At 8/27/20 12:45 PM, SoulSecure wrote: Sounds like a fun way to try an improve my improv. Man that looks weird typed out... "Improve my improv". I might give it a whack for fun. Even if it ends up terrible, it's just for fun


All improvement is improvised.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-01 18:48:16


I want to thank @AkioDaku for supplying everyone a track to work with. How's everyone else doing? Call me out if bumping this thread was gauche.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-02 06:04:29


At 9/1/20 06:48 PM, Joltopus wrote: I want to thank @AkioDaku for supplying everyone a track to work with. How's everyone else doing? Call me out if bumping this thread was gauche.


I'll be honest I've not even started, I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I thought @Troisnyx was adding some backing to the guitar I recorded before we start? I feel like I might of gotten confused though. 😅


Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-02 06:26:59


At 9/2/20 06:04 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 9/1/20 06:48 PM, Joltopus wrote: I want to thank @AkioDaku for supplying everyone a track to work with. How's everyone else doing? Call me out if bumping this thread was gauche.
I'll be honest I've not even started, I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I thought @Troisnyx was adding some backing to the guitar I recorded before we start? I feel like I might of gotten confused though. 😅


Yes. Though I'm not going to be able to do owt about it until Friday.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-02 07:34:02


At 9/2/20 06:26 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 9/2/20 06:04 AM, AkioDaku wrote:
At 9/1/20 06:48 PM, Joltopus wrote: I want to thank @AkioDaku for supplying everyone a track to work with. How's everyone else doing? Call me out if bumping this thread was gauche.
I'll be honest I've not even started, I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I thought @Troisnyx was adding some backing to the guitar I recorded before we start? I feel like I might of gotten confused though. 😅
Yes. Though I'm not going to be able to do owt about it until Friday.


As far as I'm concerned we're in no rush. Like I said above I reckon we keep this just as a chilled thing each month, so right now if folk want to get started take the the chords, go for it and comp what you've written into the end track. @Troisnyx no pressure from me to fit this into your week, you've got enough on your plate as is. @Joltopus I figure this is the first punt we're having at this and we're all busy people, so this being for fun, I'm happy for it to be a disorganised experiment for now. Obviously I'm not in charge, just my thought on the matter. In hindsight I feel like I just threw this on Trois' lap for her to deal with so sorry about that, that was not my intention.


Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-12 18:09:13


Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.

I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-12 19:07:39


At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.


If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-12 19:13:02


At 9/12/20 07:07 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.
If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go

I think arts a good way to go, but I disagree with sticking to a single genre. However, I do agree that there need to be limits, as the end result cannot be sounding like a hot mess.

Considering the fact that a lot of people here don't have real instruments, an electronic collab could work just fine. Though I wouldn't count out anyone adding real instruments in here, so long as a MIDI stem is provided (for the massive number of people like myself who have a hard time with sheet music).

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-12 22:35:19


At 9/12/20 07:13 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:07 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.
If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go
I think arts a good way to go, but I disagree with sticking to a single genre. However, I do agree that there need to be limits, as the end result cannot be sounding like a hot mess.
Considering the fact that a lot of people here don't have real instruments, an electronic collab could work just fine. Though I wouldn't count out anyone adding real instruments in here, so long as a MIDI stem is provided (for the massive number of people like myself who have a hard time with sheet music).


Perhaps you're right old chum. I'm really excited by the idea and didn't want to risk loose ends. Too strict would be too restricting.


I have no experience with collabs. I assume there'd be a program everyone would use or that there'd be small groups divided by audio programs?

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-12 23:23:23


At 9/12/20 10:35 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:13 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:07 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.
If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go
I think arts a good way to go, but I disagree with sticking to a single genre. However, I do agree that there need to be limits, as the end result cannot be sounding like a hot mess.
Considering the fact that a lot of people here don't have real instruments, an electronic collab could work just fine. Though I wouldn't count out anyone adding real instruments in here, so long as a MIDI stem is provided (for the massive number of people like myself who have a hard time with sheet music).
Perhaps you're right old chum. I'm really excited by the idea and didn't want to risk loose ends. Too strict would be too restricting.

I have no experience with collabs. I assume there'd be a program everyone would use or that there'd be small groups divided by audio programs?

I suggested the MIDI and wav stem thing so that people using different software would not be an issue...

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-13 11:31:00


At 9/12/20 11:23 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 10:35 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:13 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:07 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.
If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go
I think arts a good way to go, but I disagree with sticking to a single genre. However, I do agree that there need to be limits, as the end result cannot be sounding like a hot mess.
Considering the fact that a lot of people here don't have real instruments, an electronic collab could work just fine. Though I wouldn't count out anyone adding real instruments in here, so long as a MIDI stem is provided (for the massive number of people like myself who have a hard time with sheet music).
Perhaps you're right old chum. I'm really excited by the idea and didn't want to risk loose ends. Too strict would be too restricting.

I have no experience with collabs. I assume there'd be a program everyone would use or that there'd be small groups divided by audio programs?
I suggested the MIDI and wav stem thing so that people using different software would not be an issue...


OH

Response to Jam Trax 2020-09-13 11:31:44


At 9/12/20 11:23 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 10:35 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:13 PM, Seth wrote:
At 9/12/20 07:07 PM, Joltopus wrote:
At 9/12/20 06:09 PM, Seth wrote: Can we do a massive collab in this thread? Like, first person lays down a piece, no more than two instruments, exports midi and wav stems. Next person adds a bit, exports their midi and wav stem, then someone else comes along and does the same thing. Once there are a certain number of instruments, it goes back to the first person and circles around until we have a full track. Not sure exactly what rules would be implemented here, but I only suggest midi and wav stems because not everyone uses the same software, obviously.
I think we should use a new thread for this, actually.
If the participants can agree on the framework of the song then it should work. No ambiguity. Agree on the form, bpm, genre and any other detail. I love me some free form jazz, but organization is the way to go
I think arts a good way to go, but I disagree with sticking to a single genre. However, I do agree that there need to be limits, as the end result cannot be sounding like a hot mess.
Considering the fact that a lot of people here don't have real instruments, an electronic collab could work just fine. Though I wouldn't count out anyone adding real instruments in here, so long as a MIDI stem is provided (for the massive number of people like myself who have a hard time with sheet music).
Perhaps you're right old chum. I'm really excited by the idea and didn't want to risk loose ends. Too strict would be too restricting.

I have no experience with collabs. I assume there'd be a program everyone would use or that there'd be small groups divided by audio programs?
I suggested the MIDI and wav stem thing so that people using different software would not be an issue...


iu_167518_7632097.jpg