00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Miniserver ideas

709 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Miniserver ideas 2020-08-19 16:44:34

Right now I've got a private miniserver set up on a Raspberry Pi 3 I had laying around. Running Raspbian Stretch, using it to run a few Discord bots, thinking of setting it up for the other people in my house to use, too.

But, I kinda want ideas for neat shit to do with it. So far I've written a few very basic bash scripts to output the current CPU temperature and list a brief summary of a few commands, but there's not much else I can think of. Any ideas?

BBS Signature

Response to Miniserver ideas 2020-08-20 01:09:47

I'm about to go to bed at the perfectly healthy hour of 6 in the morning BST, but before I do, I felt like showing off my shiny MOTD. Shows the current CPU temperature and tells the user any reminders that they've set.

iu_158179_7188650.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Miniserver ideas 2020-08-20 22:32:16

For a while in undergrad, my roommates and I tried to curate music based on who was in the house. A raspberry pi was connected to Spotify and was plugged into the speakers. It served up a small mobile web app for us to put in our song preferences, so that it could shuffle from the choices of the people present. How would it know who was present? We had an old Android phone duct taped to the wall by the door that we would tap with any NFC-enabled card, such as a credit card, to badge in and out. We just kept a mapping on the server from NFC identifier to music list.

It definitely wasn't the most convenient way to accomplish this but we all worked on programming different parts, so it was pretty fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Miniserver ideas 2020-08-27 20:07:57

Well, you could have it check some selected stock prices.

Or get stalker-ish and keep tabs on people logging in/out of a game, streamers, etc. (yes. Yeeeessss...)

You could set up a chatbot ('easy') or a game bot ('harder').

You could have it automatically brew coffee for you if you have a wifi coffee maker.

You could put speakers on it, put it next to Alexa, and have it vocalize chat from a Twitch or Discord channel.

You could set up a minecraft or some other game server on it.

You could give it a robot exoskeleton, hook it up to a 3d printer, and tell it to make more, better versions of itself until we are overrun by The Borg or Cylons, Skynet or somesuch apocalyptic thing.

Response to Miniserver ideas 2020-08-27 21:41:57

At 8/27/20 08:07 PM, EternalJudge wrote: Well, you could have it check some selected stock prices.
Or get stalker-ish and keep tabs on people logging in/out of a game, streamers, etc. (yes. Yeeeessss...)
You could set up a chatbot ('easy') or a game bot ('harder').
You could have it automatically brew coffee for you if you have a wifi coffee maker.
You could put speakers on it, put it next to Alexa, and have it vocalize chat from a Twitch or Discord channel.
You could set up a minecraft or some other game server on it.
You could give it a robot exoskeleton, hook it up to a 3d printer, and tell it to make more, better versions of itself until we are overrun by The Borg or Cylons, Skynet or somesuch apocalyptic thing.

Well, I've already got it running a discord bot.

BBS Signature