00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Indie Comics Club!

5,197 Views | 81 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2020-11-05 22:33:40

At 11/5/20 10:05 PM, EpithetSoup wrote:
At 11/5/20 09:50 PM, Void wrote: Here are some of the comics that are on my personal wishlist!
Oh really Comics from New Zealand? That sounds cool. What are these comics about?

Dharma Punks is about a group of punks living in New Zealand in the 90's who want to sabotage the opening of a fast food chain by blowing it up! There's more to it but I don't want to spoil it for myself. The author also did the art for the NZ cartoon Bro Town.

Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen is about a comic artist stuck in a creative block who stumbles upon a mysterious comic book and goes on a wild adventure. I also own the author's comics Hicksville and Incomplete Works, which are fantastic.

I've been wanting these comics for a while and haven't gotten around to getting them, so I'll probably buy them for myself for Christmas

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2020-11-05 22:55:34

At 11/5/20 10:33 PM, Void wrote:
At 11/5/20 10:05 PM, EpithetSoup wrote:
At 11/5/20 09:50 PM, Void wrote: Here are some of the comics that are on my personal wishlist!
Oh really Comics from New Zealand? That sounds cool. What are these comics about?
Dharma Punks is about a group of punks living in New Zealand in the 90's who want to sabotage the opening of a fast food chain by blowing it up! There's more to it but I don't want to spoil it for myself. The author also did the art for the NZ cartoon Bro Town.

Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen is about a comic artist stuck in a creative block who stumbles upon a mysterious comic book and goes on a wild adventure. I also own the author's comics Hicksville and Incomplete Works, which are fantastic.

I've been wanting these comics for a while and haven't gotten around to getting them, so I'll probably buy them for myself for Christmas

Van They be bought in America?

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2020-11-05 23:11:57 (edited 2020-11-05 23:13:06)

At 11/5/20 10:55 PM, EpithetSoup wrote: Van They be bought in America?

I found them all on Amazon! Here and here. Hopefully this helps

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2020-11-05 23:47:35

At 11/5/20 11:11 PM, Void wrote:
At 11/5/20 10:55 PM, EpithetSoup wrote: Van They be bought in America?
I found them all on Amazon! Here and here. Hopefully this helps

Ill be sure to check them out when I can!!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-01-31 21:08:09

Hi there, just saw this thread and kind of curious if it's still active. But I'll put that to the test!

I am currently developing my first chapter of a webcomic I released as a pilot last year, and really hoping I can get myself out there with what I am making as a little passion project. Already been making some concept art of characters and the environment for the comic's lore, and there should be more to come later on

Sic semper tyrannis.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-01-31 21:27:44

At 1/31/21 09:08 PM, realporter wrote: Hi there, just saw this thread and kind of curious if it's still active. But I'll put that to the test!

I am currently developing my first chapter of a webcomic I released as a pilot last year, and really hoping I can get myself out there with what I am making as a little passion project. Already been making some concept art of characters and the environment for the comic's lore, and there should be more to come later on

Welcome!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-01-31 21:46:56

At 1/31/21 09:27 PM, EpithetSoup wrote:
At 1/31/21 09:08 PM, realporter wrote: Hi there, just saw this thread and kind of curious if it's still active. But I'll put that to the test!

Welcome!

Thank you!

Here is the pilot to the comic by the way, the art style will be a bit different once the next episode comes out soon, but hoping this will interest you! https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/revelation/season-1-episode-0-pilot/viewer?title_no=471803&episode_no=1

Sic semper tyrannis.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-01-31 21:53:33

At 1/31/21 09:46 PM, realporter wrote:
At 1/31/21 09:27 PM, EpithetSoup wrote:

Welcome!
Thank you!

Here is the pilot to the comic by the way, the art style will be a bit different once the next episode comes out soon, but hoping this will interest you! https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/revelation/season-1-episode-0-pilot/viewer?title_no=471803&episode_no=1

It looks nice! I hope to see more from you!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-20 20:36:37

Let me in the club!!!!!!

I loooove webcomics, I like to read some from comicfury.com, deviantart and wherever else I get a whiff of a good one. Mostly I read the animal themed ones usually because they make me nostalgic, or really anything that gets me invested on the first pages. Also OCT (original character tournament) comics used to be THE BEST and I owe that community a lot, sweet sweet memories. OCTs have been dying a bit now tho ever since deviantart turned to shit, since OCTs were mainly focused on there, but there is a website called entervoid.com which pretty much use the same concept except of just tournaments you can have one-off comic fights against anyone. I've been meaning to join them for a long time now, I want to make comics of my ocs fighting my friends's ocs but I've been busy. : (

Been also scripting on the side my own webcomic for a while too, I hope I'll actually get around to making it someday lol.

Bum to the boo to the boo to the boo boo bum to the bass

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-20 21:04:14

At 2/20/21 08:36 PM, OmenaKettu wrote: Let me in the club!!!!!!
I loooove webcomics, I like to read some from comicfury.com, deviantart and wherever else I get a whiff of a good one. Mostly I read the animal themed ones usually because they make me nostalgic, or really anything that gets me invested on the first pages. Also OCT (original character tournament) comics used to be THE BEST and I owe that community a lot, sweet sweet memories. OCTs have been dying a bit now tho ever since deviantart turned to shit, since OCTs were mainly focused on there, but there is a website called entervoid.com which pretty much use the same concept except of just tournaments you can have one-off comic fights against anyone. I've been meaning to join them for a long time now, I want to make comics of my ocs fighting my friends's ocs but I've been busy. : (

Been also scripting on the side my own webcomic for a while too, I hope I'll actually get around to making it someday lol.

Welcome!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-23 23:46:21

Hi I like comics please talk to me!! I’ve been tryna make a fnf comic because reasons and I really wanna talk about it and to people so hii!! Hello!!!!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-24 07:16:09

At 2/23/21 11:46 PM, Raiy wrote: Hi I like comics please talk to me!! I’ve been tryna make a fnf comic because reasons and I really wanna talk about it and to people so hii!! Hello!!!!

That's interesting! So it would be about Friday Night Funkin'?

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-25 21:07:48

how i can join in, im interested in the club,i was browsing a comunitty since time ago on DA and the days of tumblr, i like the idea of share and see others ideas, im also trying to dev my own stuff too, i like the way the words works and im interested in read others work too

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-02-25 21:13:32

At 2/25/21 09:07 PM, Coekj wrote: how i can join in, im interested in the club,i was browsing a comunitty since time ago on DA and the days of tumblr, i like the idea of share and see others ideas, im also trying to dev my own stuff too, i like the way the words works and im interested in read others work too

Well I'm glad you asked! Basically, you can talk about Indie comics that you enjoy or are making, and I don't think I ever mentioned it before, but you can even promote your favorite comics and projects here if you'd like. Outside of that this is pretty much the club as I don't have a discord for it.

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-02 06:33:20 (edited 2021-03-02 06:35:36)

Heeey! I make webcomics (one webcomic to be exact). Granted, I have to improve my art a whole lot before they get noticed, but I've been making stories for quite a while already. My first issue looks... I'll probably have to redraw it sometime. The further ones get better visually, but I have not posted them on NG yet.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1465041

I've already finished 3 issues and I'm in the process of making the 4th one. Can I join? I don't read webcomics all that frequently, so maybe stuff that gets recommended here could get me back on track.

every time i look at a post signature I'm reminded I'm on a forum

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-02 06:49:33

At 1/31/21 09:46 PM, realporter wrote: Here is the pilot to the comic by the way, the art style will be a bit different once the next episode comes out soon, but hoping this will interest you! https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/revelation/season-1-episode-0-pilot/viewer?title_no=471803&episode_no=1

It's honestly a pretty catchy pilot, but mostly because of the visuals to me. I really like how dark you make background elements. Feels like a small painting each page. The character in this comic stands out because of how they're drawn, too. That's good, but I'm not sure how to feel about them being drawn that way - and yet, you said you'd change the artstyle, so I'll see what it'll apply to. Me personally - and I mean personally, you do what you want - I'd try to adjust the character artstyle to stick out on the dark backgrounds, but also to make them feel more like paintings too, if you know what I mean.

The pitch for the comic is neat! I saw it when I visited its main page and it makes me think something good is in the making. But my main issue with the pilot is that it shows very little of that pitch in action, aside for the grim scenery and the near-dead (or maybe dead? maybe spooky zombies oOOOO) character waking up. It's less of a pilot to me and more of an artwork showcase, or a very short but incredibly vague trailer. Still, you worked hard on it, so I can't say I'm not waiting to see the rest! It's just... I was confused until I read the pitch. Honest.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-02 10:10:59

At 3/2/21 06:49 AM, AvionAris wrote:
At 1/31/21 09:46 PM, realporter wrote: Here is the pilot to the comic by the way, the art style will be a bit different once the next episode comes out soon, but hoping this will interest you! https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/revelation/season-1-episode-0-pilot/viewer?title_no=471803&episode_no=1
It's honestly a pretty catchy pilot, but mostly because of the visuals to me. I really like how dark you make background elements. Feels like a small painting each page. The character in this comic stands out because of how they're drawn, too. That's good, but I'm not sure how to feel about them being drawn that way - and yet, you said you'd change the artstyle, so I'll see what it'll apply to. Me personally - and I mean personally, you do what you want - I'd try to adjust the character artstyle to stick out on the dark backgrounds, but also to make them feel more like paintings too, if you know what I mean.

The pitch for the comic is neat! I saw it when I visited its main page and it makes me think something good is in the making. But my main issue with the pilot is that it shows very little of that pitch in action, aside for the grim scenery and the near-dead (or maybe dead? maybe spooky zombies oOOOO) character waking up. It's less of a pilot to me and more of an artwork showcase, or a very short but incredibly vague trailer. Still, you worked hard on it, so I can't say I'm not waiting to see the rest! It's just... I was confused until I read the pitch. Honest.

Of course! Any newcomer is welcome!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-03 00:26:32

I am not going to lie with you, but you really made my day over how you took the time to take a look at my comic, appreciating it and also giving it some constructive criticism. Thank you so much for that, I seriously appreciate you!

The dark visuals for the background is definitely something I am going to be keeping as the comic goes on soon. My character design is something that may look a bit out of touch for some, but I am currently working on changing their design a bit since I want to make them fit well into the world (as well as making them look more unique than the rest). As for the character fitting into the dark backgrounds, I think that is also another thing I can try out when I am finalizing the pages, so definitely looking out for that! (Thanks for the suggestion by the way)

Finally, the pilot is kind of vague the more I go back and look at it, will admit it, but I will also say that it does serve its purpose. And that it is to showcase what more to expect in newer pages that are coming soon. I wanted to keep it mysterious to get people interested for what it is and for how short the pages are as well, even if it can take them a wee bit longer for the new pages to come out (which by the way, will be WAY MORE than just 7-10 pages lol). All in all, hope this is all useful to look forward to the next chapter, and glad that you are taking an interest in something I am very passionate in doing. Have a great rest of your day/evening! :D

Sic semper tyrannis.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-03 08:55:51

At 3/3/21 12:26 AM, realporter wrote: I am not going to lie with you, but you really made my day over how you took the time to take a look at my comic, appreciating it and also giving it some constructive criticism. Thank you so much for that, I seriously appreciate you!

No problem! I mean, I don't even have many friends that make comics, so this club is quite refreshing to have around, actually. And hey, since people actively share their own stuff here, seems great enough for me.

My character design is something that may look a bit out of touch for some, but I am currently working on changing their design a bit since I want to make them fit well into the world (as well as making them look more unique than the rest). As for the character fitting into the dark backgrounds, I think that is also another thing I can try out when I am finalizing the pages, so definitely looking out for that! (Thanks for the suggestion by the way)

I wouldn't say it's entirely out of touch. The idea is there, and the idea is good - namely to have them stand out with contours and flat(ter) colors while the entire scenery is made with brushes and no contours. Which is honestly quite an ingenious way to make things visible on monochrome. It just needs to be balanced and refined is all, which I'm sure you're already in the process of doing. But yeah, I do think they should just fit a little bit more stylistically into the background. I did talk about this already, sooo I don't think I need to repeat myself lol

Finally, the pilot is kind of vague the more I go back and look at it, will admit it, but I will also say that it does serve its purpose. And that it is to showcase what more to expect in newer pages that are coming soon. I wanted to keep it mysterious to get people interested for what it is and for how short the pages are as well, even if it can take them a wee bit longer for the new pages to come out (which by the way, will be WAY MORE than just 7-10 pages lol).

As for the pilot criticism, I was basing my thoughts off the Megas XLR pilot. While there is a VERY clear difference between a webcomic and an old school Cartoon Network show, I do wanna point out that the reason I compared both pilots was because Megas XLR's entire showcase episode was quite short, and yet it really managed to pitch what the entire show was about. I didn't quite feel this here is all. I think you should've honestly shown more to get people interested because that was, in my opinion, way too vague, which is what my thoughts boil down to on that matter. All I'm saying is, you CAN make it mysterious. In fact, do it if that's what would make it better. It's great not to show everything right off the bat and if pulled off correctly, shows that the author really does know how to moderate information flow towards the reader. I just don't think that's the right kind of "mysterious", you're starving people of breadcrumbs this way instead of giving them something to draw conclusions off of. Still, you DID get across the fact that the world is kind of broken, and the bleeding lad in the last few panels does show how the situation could be quite dire for them. But maybe you should say more is all. Don't be afraid, saying more isn't just having a character go on a rant about the current state of the world. Since you already managed to portray such an atmosphere, I'm certain you could communicate things without explicitly saying or even showing them.

I hope you don't mind me going on a bit of a longer rant there lol I just had a lot to say

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-03 09:04:26 (edited 2021-03-03 09:09:58)

At 3/3/21 12:26 AM, realporter wrote:

I am not going to lie with you, but you really made my day over how you took the time to take a look at my comic, appreciating it and also giving it some constructive criticism. Thank you so much for that, I seriously appreciate you!

The dark visuals for the background is definitely something I am going to be keeping as the comic goes on soon. My character design is something that may look a bit out of touch for some, but I am currently working on changing their design a bit since I want to make them fit well into the world (as well as making them look more unique than the rest). As for the character fitting into the dark backgrounds, I think that is also another thing I can try out when I am finalizing the pages, so definitely looking out for that! (Thanks for the suggestion by the way)

Finally, the pilot is kind of vague the more I go back and look at it, will admit it, but I will also say that it does serve its purpose. And that it is to showcase what more to expect in newer pages that are coming soon. I wanted to keep it mysterious to get people interested for what it is and for how short the pages are as well, even if it can take them a wee bit longer for the new pages to come out (which by the way, will be WAY MORE than just 7-10 pages lol). All in all, hope this is all useful to look forward to the next chapter, and glad that you are taking an interest in something I am very passionate in doing. Have a great rest of your day/evening! :D

Not a problem, anyone who wants to create stories and show an appreciation of comics, are welcome here. That's why this club was started. To band comic creators that have creativity in their blood! In other words, the more the merrier! I even have my own comics that I'm working on, but I'll post all of the details once I'm done scriptwriting for them!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-03 09:17:10

At 3/3/21 09:04 AM, EpithetSoup wrote: I even have my own comics that I'm working on, but I'll post all of the details once I'm done scriptwriting for them!

Oh, PLEASE do. I'd love to see them as soon as possible, honestly.

I know you guys haven't made a Discord server for this or anything, but wow, this thing sure is kicking off.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-03 09:19:23

At 3/3/21 09:17 AM, AvionAris wrote:
At 3/3/21 09:04 AM, EpithetSoup wrote: I even have my own comics that I'm working on, but I'll post all of the details once I'm done scriptwriting for them!
Oh, PLEASE do. I'd love to see them as soon as possible, honestly.

I know you guys haven't made a Discord server for this or anything, but wow, this thing sure is kicking off.

I haven't made a discord sadly, but with given time, it should come by soon.

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2021-03-08 05:48:50 (edited 2021-03-08 05:49:42)

Since this is the Indie Comics Club, guess I'll post my comic character references here. I have exactly 2 references at the moment and I made them a looong while ago to update my character designs. I thought I'd ask for what you guys think about them and if I should maybe improve anything.

iu_254047_5780015.jpg

iu_254046_5780015.jpg

now that I uploaded the images I'm surprised the quality dropped so hard lol

I honestly like the reference style I made for this, but I'm pretty sure the characters themselves could use some fixes for how they're drawn. Do you guys have any references of your characters aswell?

Also, my comic has been progressing very slowly. I've been busy with stuff, but now I should be able to finally find some time to pump out some pages. And practise aswell, since folks have suggested a lot of useful stuff here on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-02-16 00:30:19

I happen to be making a comic about my upcoming web cartoon "Tristan Toonstar" thought i oughta post the cover here, expect to see more! iu_552716_8863648.webp

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-03-18 16:43:08

I’m not sure if Darkhorse counts as “indie,” but here’s something fun I found:

iu_579252_9832141.png

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-03-19 00:13:12

At 3/19/22 12:08 AM, saintsugoi wrote:
At 8/15/20 01:59 PM, EpithetSoup wrote: Welcome to the Indie Comics Club. As you can see in the title this club will normally talk about discussions about indie comics as a whole. This can range from whether you're a reader, collector, web comics, or even create your own comics. Whatever the reason, you're welcome to discuss it all here!
saw this thread and thought i’d throw out a little bit about my own comic. i’m ankle deep in storyboards (about 32 pages and 16 boxes per page) and i can’t quite get it off the ground. it takes work to do so, but i’ve been promoing the shit out of it. i hope at least some people like it, cause that means i did a good job at something. :)

Can't wait so see the fruits of your labor!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-03-19 00:15:16

At 3/19/22 12:08 AM, saintsugoi wrote:
At 8/15/20 01:59 PM, EpithetSoup wrote: Welcome to the Indie Comics Club. As you can see in the title this club will normally talk about discussions about indie comics as a whole. This can range from whether you're a reader, collector, web comics, or even create your own comics. Whatever the reason, you're welcome to discuss it all here!
saw this thread and thought i’d throw out a little bit about my own comic. i’m ankle deep in storyboards (about 32 pages and 16 boxes per page) and i can’t quite get it off the ground. it takes work to do so, but i’ve been promoing the shit out of it. i hope at least some people like it, cause that means i did a good job at something. :)

two new fans, your style reminds me of a model driven, lens idea, thing… my friend Dprotohype (u can so google the guy) he’s veri kewl guy B) and artistic like a whistle!

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-03-20 21:31:32

iu_581530_9832141.png

(They’re from Wizzywig by Ed Piskor)

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-07-26 22:56:55

Response to Indie Comics Club! 2022-08-01 07:25:03

I make my own comics! :D

2 of them are parodies of my or my friends' playthroughs of Wakfu and Dark souls, not very serious, basically made to amuse myself and my friends.

Then there's Manifest your spectre, my main passion project right now, my darling. I'm still working on the first chapter, I don't wanna show a single page until the whole chapter is finished, but I have a bunch of character art and stuff on ym gallery here on NG. :D

And then there's a collab that I organized, in which I and a bunch of friends helped a friend make his passion project come true! I'm very proud of us for completing the chapter, and giving the IP creator a push to continue making comics by himself after the collab was over. ^0^

The collab comic is called One of Fox's Far Flung Fables... A Deep space Distraction and you can read both the collab and all strips that were made afterwards here!

Right now I'm planning on organizing another, bigger collab for summer 2023... I'd love to invite over a bunch of NG users, but I'm scared of biting more than I can chew, so for now I'll keep it limiter to users I already know from social media I've been on for longer...

I want these collabs to be as close to a yearly thing as I can, so there will be time to grow even more in the future. :D