00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff

7,554 Views | 26 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Heads up, we had an issue with our publishing system that was preventing a lot of files from being published this week. This should now be fixed!

If you had a failed attempt to publish something, please try again now and let me know how it goes.

I’ll also take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been Supporting NG! Your support has been a huge help with ongoing hosting and development. We would of course love to see more people toss in $3 per month; Newgrounds is not a cheap or easy thing to maintain.

Cool Stuff

This week we were treated to two end of year college films, both colorful and fun concepts by @Regyman and @ToastieTV, respectively.

We would love to see a lot more college films here on the site, please don't be shy!

If you’d rather something on the dark and creepy side, we have that too, thanks to @Dapello and @Qwertfx.

Grandmother’s flu is an intro scene from Welcome Home 2, a game Qwertfx is making.

You may also recall @Qwertfx from this gorefield gem:

If you like dark surreal stuff, visit the Interface series page and click the first thumbnail to watch them all back-to-back.

@EX-LYD has a new album out, with cover art by @MatthewLopz. Been loving the songs shared here on NG!

We have two games this week with similar themes that are both fun in their own ways:

Slime Rider was made for the GMTK Jam, where the theme was “Out of Control.” Autoland has a catchy soundtrack that you can listen to in the Audio Portal!

Ongoing Events

The Neo Geo Jam is in progress, with categories for animation, music and fan art! We’re actively raising funds to boost the prizes (nearly $2,700 so far) and if you’d like to contribute, please use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards the Neo Geo Jam. Specify which category (animation, music, art) you would like to boost if you have a preference.

I’m loving this Neo Geo Jam art entry by @Speedo!

And you gotta hear this Metal Slug tribute song by @EezySeven.

@Sevi is hosting a Music Inspired Art Contest, where you create art inspired by music here on NG. There are cash prizes for the six best pieces!

@Xinxinix is hosting an OC Party art contest, with $600 in prizes!

@Curruff organized a Stuck at Home Sample Pack, with lots of free audio samples made by the community during quarantine.

The top two games this month will each receive $100 and thanks to your donations, we’ll be able to give at least that much for the next four months. There is no limit to how big the game prizes can get! If you’d like to contribute to this area of the site, use the donation option on our Supporter page and let me know it’s for the monthly game prizes.

iu_150448_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-07-31 11:24:19

Great news!

Since you‘re mentioning the MIA contest, wouldn’t it be a good opportunity to sticky the thread in the art forum and unsticky the expired contest threads (two lungs breathe as one) and even the SixFanarts activity thread? I hope the MIA gets lots of love, there are usually very good entries every year it takes place.

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-07-31 11:31:51

At 7/31/20 11:24 AM, Luwano wrote: Since you‘re mentioning the MIA contest, wouldn’t it be a good opportunity to sticky the thread in the art forum and unsticky the expired contest threads (two lungs breathe as one) and even the SixFanarts activity thread? I hope the MIA gets lots of love, there are usually very good entries every year it takes place.

Good call! I'm bad at managing sticky threads, I need to form a better habit there - I should check up on those whenever I'm updating the calendar with stuff.

BBS Signature

At 7/31/20 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Good call! I'm bad at managing sticky threads, I need to form a better habit there - I should check up on those whenever I'm updating the calendar with stuff.

Thanks a lot! And good luck to the participants for MIA and Neo Geo contests.

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-07-31 12:53:01

I love this website man...

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-07-31 13:24:22

Will clicking a movie thumbnail in posts open up a pop up like it used to for the youtube player / the movie miniplayer?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-01 00:22:02

Thank you SO MUCH For the Shout out!! I feel so honored Aaaah! ^^

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-01 03:00:52

BTW, where now I can see monthly donation goal/progress? Just curious.

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-01 10:24:09

Tom if u were a bug id smush u probably. And then pour beer on the server.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-01 13:16:35

At 8/1/20 03:00 AM, Pecheneg wrote: BTW, where now I can see monthly donation goal/progress? Just curious.

I posted an update in the Supporter forum!

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-01 14:06:31

cool!

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-02 01:54:18

we don't deserve you Tom.

BBS Signature

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 09:20:21

I've been having issues trying to upload my art since yesterday. Didn't realize this had been going on for a while. I tried uploading my art as a .jpg, .png and .gif and each seemed to throw a different error.

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 12:44:21

At 8/2/20 10:53 PM, ToadieTechnika wrote:
I still receive this error when I try to upload new stuff, both Vivaldi, Edge and Google Chrome reproduced. I use a different PC (that shouldn't do productivity) to upload and publish but it's troublesome to go back and fourth just to upload...

Are you seeing anything in the "network" tab of your console when you get this error that might help? It will likely be associated with https://www.newgrounds.com/parkfile

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 15:34:17

At 8/2/20 10:53 PM, ToadieTechnika wrote: I still receive this error when I try to upload new stuff

From our end it looks like connectivity issues with your client. This suggests issues with your internet and/or PC.

When you say you used another computer to upload, did you use another one in the same home (on the same internet connection) or did you use a friends somewhere else?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 15:39:07

At 8/3/20 09:20 AM, Shadow154 wrote: I've been having issues trying to upload my art since yesterday. Didn't realize this had been going on for a while. I tried uploading my art as a .jpg, .png and .gif and each seemed to throw a different error.

What's the error? Can you post a screenshot?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 17:59:05

At 8/3/20 03:39 PM, BrentHeMan wrote: What's the error? Can you post a screenshot?

Attempting to upload it as a .jpg results in "Error: You must upload an image."

Attempting to upload it as a .png results in "Error: Failed to read the file" and clicking Submit again throws "Error: There was a problem retrieving your upload."

Attempting to upload it as a .gif results in "Error: memory allocation failed `/mnt/ng_www/newgrounds-site/html/art/uploads/images/1373000/1373844_shadow154_trying-new-things-today-16.gif' @ error/gif.c/ReadGIFImage/1303" and clicking Submit again throws "Error: There was a problem retrieving your upload."

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 19:24:21

At 8/3/20 05:59 PM, Shadow154 wrote:
At 8/3/20 03:39 PM, BrentHeMan wrote: What's the error? Can you post a screenshot?
Attempting to upload it as a .jpg results in "Error: You must upload an image."
Attempting to upload it as a .png results in "Error: Failed to read the file" and clicking Submit again throws "Error: There was a problem retrieving your upload."
Attempting to upload it as a .gif results in "Error: memory allocation failed `/mnt/ng_www/newgrounds-site/html/art/uploads/images/1373000/1373844_shadow154_trying-new-things-today-16.gif' @ error/gif.c/ReadGIFImage/1303" and clicking Submit again throws "Error: There was a problem retrieving your upload."

What program are you saving from? How big is this image?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 20:10:43

At 8/3/20 07:24 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: What program are you saving from? How big is this image?

I use Adobe Photoshop and the image is 3368 x 16000 px. As a .png it goes up to 25.9 MB. Also worth noting that I've uploaded several pieces of similar sizes before.

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-03 21:49:00

At 8/3/20 08:10 PM, Shadow154 wrote:
At 8/3/20 07:24 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: What program are you saving from? How big is this image?
I use Adobe Photoshop and the image is 3368 x 16000 px. As a .png it goes up to 25.9 MB. Also worth noting that I've uploaded several pieces of similar sizes before.

Have you tried shrinking the image to a more reasonable size for web use?

I realize you've uploaded large files before, but massive images do tend to cause memory issues on various devices. It also takes longer to upload, and can be prone to packet loss where your connection to our servers may not be the greatest. I would really recommend uploading a re-scaled copy and see if that helps.

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-04 00:38:15

At 8/4/20 12:36 AM, ToadieTechnika wrote: Same home, same internet connection.

Definitely points to it being an issue with that particular computer then.

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-04 14:17:18

Have you tried shrinking the image to a more reasonable size for web use?

Smaller worked. Will keep this in mind going forward. Thanks for the help!

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-04 16:12:12

At 8/4/20 12:36 AM, ToadieTechnika wrote:
At 8/3/20 03:34 PM, BrentHeMan wrote:
At 8/2/20 10:53 PM, ToadieTechnika wrote: I still receive this error when I try to upload new stuff
From our end it looks like connectivity issues with your client. This suggests issues with your internet and/or PC.

When you say you used another computer to upload, did you use another one in the same home (on the same internet connection) or did you use a friends somewhere else?
Same home, same internet connection.

At 8/3/20 12:44 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 8/2/20 10:53 PM, ToadieTechnika wrote:
I still receive this error when I try to upload new stuff, both Vivaldi, Edge and Google Chrome reproduced. I use a different PC (that shouldn't do productivity) to upload and publish but it's troublesome to go back and fourth just to upload...
Are you seeing anything in the "network" tab of your console when you get this error that might help? It will likely be associated with https://www.newgrounds.com/parkfile
It is indeed the parkfile gone red. Not much info to show.

I think I had your issue mixed up with the art uploading. What exactly are you uploading, and what page are you uploading from?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-05 01:04:36

oh man that's exciting stuff tom, can't wait to see your cartoon for clock day tho

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-05 16:41:51

At 8/4/20 10:17 PM, ToadieTechnika wrote: Always uploading at this page: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/submit/create
I upload a JPG file (size varies on the preferences). This isn't only affect art but also games.

I'm not having any luck finding issues on our end. If it's happening in multiple portals, that makes it a bit more likely there's something else going on. Are you running any plugins like adblock that could be causing issues? Or on a network that might be blocking certain things?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-06 04:03:55

Hello, Tom. How have you been?

Response to Publishing Bug Fix & Cool Stuff 2020-08-11 21:25:19

Glad to see that the bug was fixed. Great job keeping things running smoothly.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature