00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games!

7,614 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

We just updated playlists to premier our new video player! Updates include 4k, frame by frame stepping and auto-play for lists of videos. Try it with my Short Shorts 2020 playlist by clicking a movie thumbnail to launch in-page. You can also use the < and > keys to frame step and left and right arrow keys to change videos.

Update: This now works on Series and Collection pages too. Try Sublo & Tangy Mustard or Chutney Glaze!

Monthly Cash Prizes for Games

It was announced this month that Kongregate will no longer be accepting new games, which also means the end of their monthly cash prizes, a welcome mainstay in the web game scene.

Back in the day, NG also awarded cash prizes to the top five games each month. I’d like to get back into this but need your help! If you have the means and would like cash prizes for games to be a thing, please use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the monthly game prize.

Based on how much money we raise in the short term, I’ll follow up with a plan for how we could best distribute it. For example if we raise a small amount, we might distribute it over 1-3 months, whereas if we raise more we could distribute it over 6-12 months.

Update: At the moment we're ready to commit $200 per month for the next four months, starting with the Best of July. Thinking we'll give $100 each to the top two games, to spread the love around a bit. This will increase / extend based on ongoing support!

We’re making a system where donors get sponsor badges for individual events and initiatives, so when this launches you’ll retroactively get the Monthly Game Prize sponsor badge - similar to how Supporters get an annual support badge. I’m thinking when the games hub gets updated, it could promote the monthly prizes alongside a donation link to keep the fund growing long-term.

Neo Geo Animation Jam Prizes

It feels weird to announce a jam ahead of announcing a jam but we'll soon be announcing a Neo Geo-themed animation jam. I’d like to kick it off with a big prize pool, which is why I’m making the rounds now. So far we’ve raised $720 but a few thousand would of course be cool. If you’re down to help, use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Neo Geo Jam.

We’re also gonna have prize categories for Neo Geo-like music, so musicians can make original music for peoples’ animations and be eligible for additional prizes! Maybe an fan art contest too?

When the sponsor badges go live, you’ll retroactively get a Neo Geo Jam badge. We’ll also be listing event sponsors in upcoming jam posts.

Flash Emulation Update

We’re using Ruffle, a Flash emulation project started by @Mike, to run Flash content without the Flash plugin. Alien Hominid is now running flawlessly without Flash, for example.

This weekend Mike pushed an update that fixed a lot of broken preloaders. When we first launched Ruffle on NG, I made a list of almost 1,000 movies that didn't work. That list has been shrinking ever since and is now down to less than 250 items. You can sponsor ongoing Ruffle development to help!

Previous News:

iu_143012_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 14:06:20

Can’t wait for the new video player so that I can hunt for cool smear frames

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 14:42:58

later, but not now

Why do you keep on trying,

mindlessly REPLYING?

You've been trolled! You've been trolled! Have a nice daaaAAAY!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 15:14:31

hell yeah

RIP NINJAMUFFIN COLLAB NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 16:21:05

Neo-Geo jam? Talk about nostalgia. From what I've heard NG was originally a Neo Geo themed magazine. But I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 16:23:21

At 7/13/20 04:21 PM, CzySzy wrote: Neo-Geo jam? Talk about nostalgia. From what I've heard NG was originally a Neo Geo themed magazine. But I'm not sure if I remember correctly.

That's correct!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 16:28:36

Auto-play is awesome! I was waiting for this feature!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 16:47:54

So you're tellin' me I can just put on a playlist and let it roll from start to finish with just one click?

Man, I won't be able to stop watchin' cartoons!

I am the writer of the second greatest South Park fanfiction on this entire planet AND THEREFORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

Also I make cartoons, they're pretty cool too.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 17:03:27

Wait Neo Geo jam? As in actual SNK Neo Geo? KoF, Metal Slug and the like?? AWESOME

Ahahahahahah

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 17:07:44

At 7/13/20 04:47 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: So you're tellin' me I can just put on a playlist and let it roll from start to finish with just one click?

We'll be rolling this out in more places too as things evolve!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 17:25:40

I can't wait for the upcoming Neo Geo jam. Get Shinkiro to be a judge for all the art submissions.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 18:11:24

At 7/13/20 05:07 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/13/20 04:47 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: So you're tellin' me I can just put on a playlist and let it roll from start to finish with just one click?

Oh hell yeah! I just noticed it works with audio. If this works well with mobile, I'll be making workout playlists and podcast playlists without needing to download the files and take up space on my phone.

Consider donating to us on Patreon or Paypal!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 18:25:43

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just updated playlists to premier our new video player! Updates include 4k, frame by frame stepping and auto-play for lists of videos. Try it with my Short Shorts 2020 playlist by clicking a movie thumbnail to launch in-page. You can also use the < and > keys to frame step and left and right arrow keys to change videos.

Everything about the new playlist functionality is just so fucking wonderful. I think it'll lead to people using playlists a lot more, because they're much more valuable now that you can just set one rolling and kick back!

One suggestion: offer the possibility (e.g. a button) to go to an animation's page straight from the player overlay when you're autoplaying a playlist. It would make voting for submissions and leaving reviews smoother.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 18:51:48

Oh boy now I can have a Newgrounds Dog Film marathon without touching my computer, I can hit play and eat cereal or whatever. https://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/7d23b9d9640f2b2bc43aed4987dec89a

srsly tho, the new player is awesome, I´m gonna revisit a bunch of classics and skim through some crazy action scenes.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 19:06:44

At 7/13/20 06:25 PM, TheFerridge wrote:
At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just updated playlists to premier our new video player! Updates include 4k, frame by frame stepping and auto-play for lists of videos. Try it with my Short Shorts 2020 playlist by clicking a movie thumbnail to launch in-page. You can also use the < and > keys to frame step and left and right arrow keys to change videos.
Everything about the new playlist functionality is just so fucking wonderful. I think it'll lead to people using playlists a lot more, because they're much more valuable now that you can just set one rolling and kick back!

One suggestion: offer the possibility (e.g. a button) to go to an animation's page straight from the player overlay when you're autoplaying a playlist. It would make voting for submissions and leaving reviews smoother.

Or add a little voting option along with the submission's title and author to the hover-over (which might appear for a second or two at video start).

Excited to see how this is rolled out to potentially compete with the one thing YouTube has going for it: its ability to just continually play videos that are just slightly relevant enough, even with their crappy algorithm, to lock viewers into an effortless binge viewing cycle, discovering new videos.

When I have the time, I'm looking forward to putting together a playlist of some of my favorite introduction-to-Newgrounds animations to share with friends.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 19:12:12

At 7/13/20 07:06 PM, squeakytoad wrote:
At 7/13/20 06:25 PM, TheFerridge wrote: One suggestion: offer the possibility (e.g. a button) to go to an animation's page straight from the player overlay when you're autoplaying a playlist. It would make voting for submissions and leaving reviews smoother.
Or add a little voting option along with the submission's title and author to the hover-over (which might appear for a second or two at video start).

@PsychoGoldfish is gonna be adding some things like this to the UI soon!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-13 22:48:38

Fancy stuff!

btw it took a few moments til i realized it was not a National Geographic jam. I don't know if it's my brain or my eyes...

Making human hentai.

Check my teaser, bitches!! (+18)

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 00:10:30

Ok so if I wanna donate to the monthly prize pot and the neo geo pot, do I need to make 2 separate donations, or can I donate one time and PM you to split the amount I donate between the 2?

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 02:18:02

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: This weekend Mike pushed an update that fixed a lot of broken preloaders.

I've already noticed a few classic favorites have become watchable once again, this is great news. NG 4 LYF.

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 04:29:30

Been waiting for this for a while now. Thanks for the implementation! Make this the default way to watch movies, haha. I was kind of confused on the fact that I had to click the actual image on the thumbnail. I wonder if its possible to just click on the whole banner to make the playlist start.

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 04:32:04

Oh so if someone were to do a metal slug parody it would be eligible for the jam prizes and stuff right? I'm not saying I will, Just thinking about it. Dunno If I can RN. How often are there going to be animation jams on NG now? Did NG manage to get something out of Elon musk with the musk jam?

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 06:50:46

At 7/14/20 12:10 AM, TheGhostOfSevenSeize wrote: Ok so if I wanna donate to the monthly prize pot and the neo geo pot, do I need to make 2 separate donations, or can I donate one time and PM you to split the amount I donate between the 2?

You can make one and tell me to split it!

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 08:37:14

At 7/14/20 04:32 AM, OrganizedApeShape wrote: Oh so if someone were to do a metal slug parody it would be eligible for the jam prizes and stuff right? I'm not saying I will, Just thinking about it. Dunno If I can RN. How often are there going to be animation jams on NG now? Did NG manage to get something out of Elon musk with the musk jam?

Yeah a Metal Slug parody would be eligible. I could also picture a lot of cool non-comedy entries; I like to picture something that feels like it could be a pitch for a TV series.

With how well community crowd-funding has been going, I'm hoping we'll also keep the animation jams going more consistently from now on. We never got a response from Elon over the Musk Jam but the results were still awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 09:06:07

HAWT!

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 10:56:37

Monthly Cash Prizes for Games

It was announced this month that Kongregate will no longer be accepting new games, which also means the end of their monthly cash prizes, a welcome mainstay in the web game scene.

Back in the day, NG also awarded cash prizes to the top five games each month. I’d like to get back into this but need your help! If you have the means and would like cash prizes for games to be a thing, please use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the monthly game prize.

Based on how much money we raise in the short term, I’ll follow up with a plan for how we could best distribute it. For example if we raise a small amount, we might distribute it over 1-3 months, whereas if we raise more we could distribute it over 6-12 months.

We’re making a system where donors get sponsor badges for individual events and initiatives, so when this launches you’ll retroactively get the Monthly Game Prize sponsor badge - similar to how Supporters get an annual support badge. I’m thinking when the games hub gets updated, it could promote the monthly prizes alongside a donation link to keep the fund growing long-term.

Neo Geo Animation Jam Prizes

It feels weird to announce a jam ahead of announcing a jam but we'll soon be announcing a Neo Geo-themed animation jam. I’d like to kick it off with a big prize pool, which is why I’m making the rounds now. So far we’ve raised $720 but a few thousand would of course be cool. If you’re down to help, use the donation option on our Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Neo Geo Jam.

We’re also gonna have prize categories for Neo Geo-like music, so musicians can make original music for peoples’ animations and be eligible for additional prizes! Maybe an fan art contest too?

When the sponsor badges go live, you’ll retroactively get a Neo Geo Jam badge. We’ll also be listing event sponsors in upcoming jam posts.

Flash Emulation Update

We’re using Ruffle, a Flash emulation project started by @Mike, to run Flash content without the Flash plugin. Alien Hominid is now running flawlessly without Flash, for example.

This weekend Mike pushed an update that fixed a lot of broken preloaders. When we first launched Ruffle on NG, I made a list of almost 1,000 movies that didn't work. That list has been shrinking ever since and is now down to less than 250 items. You can sponsor ongoing Ruffle development to help!

Previous News:

i would love to voice act for NeoGeo Jam 2020. if you need my talents let me know

https://youtu.be/nrkDXientGo - Voice Demo 2020

https://youtu.be/xmYrlXjuvUU voice work

https://youtu.be/9DarjDg85TI - Impression

https://youtu.be/CgOAGyu3rWc - Voice demo of 2019

this are my voices i have done. and more will be coming this year

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 11:56:02

I think it would be cool if you turned the website into a magazine for the neo geo jam deadline.

Also first post.

None

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 11:57:42

At 7/14/20 11:56 AM, Luis wrote: I think it would be cool if you turned the website into a magazine for the neo geo jam deadline.

Also first post.

Maybe I'll make an issue of Neo Ground in the classic style and have it report on all the jam entries. I could mail copies to the winners. Staples does double sided copying right?

BBS Signature

Response to Video Playlists & Cash Prizes for Games! 2020-07-14 15:06:54

It will be pretty weird for me to see a jam based on a thing thats more than 20 years older than me.

Thats fine though. At least some good old, late missed nostalgia. :D

Congratulations,you just found the most random guy on the whole internet.

BBS Signature

Definitely sounds interesting. I think it would also be cool to have a little game jam going alongside the animation jams sometimes (except of course for the regular events, e.g. Pixel Day). There's a lot of animation jams, and even if there were no prizes involved, it'd perhaps be interesting to officially encourage people to join in on the fun under the same hashtag.

For example, there were five muskjam artworks, no games, six audio works (some of which were used in the animations). Even if they weren't part of the judging / award process, it'd be fun to play a couple of Musk-themed games alongside the main attraction of the animations. If you don't think it'd draw people away from the animations themselves.

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: We’re making a system where donors get sponsor badges for individual events and initiatives, so when this launches you’ll retroactively get the Monthly Game Prize sponsor badge - similar to how Supporters get an annual support badge.

Speaking of badges, it'd perhaps be useful to give the winners a special trophy. E.g. if a new user sees the winning submission of Musk Jam, they'll only know it was "Daily 2nd Place" and "Frontpaged", whereas the most impressive feat of winning an animation jam isn't visible, unless they visit old forum posts or browse the history.

I don't know, something like:

iu_143298_4428769.png

At 7/13/20 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: This weekend Mike pushed an update that fixed a lot of broken preloaders. When we first launched Ruffle on NG, I made a list of almost 1,000 movies that didn't work. That list has been shrinking ever since and is now down to less than 250 items.

Yesterday, I talked with someone who apparently can't run Ruffle on his computer. Is there an option somewhere to prioritise Newgrounds Player if you encounter problems?

At 7/13/20 05:07 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I like this in the audio portal, so long as it can be disabled as needed (because I often write long reviews). Any way to make it so that it can be temporarily disabled if you're writing a review, then re-enabled once you submit your review? Just a thought.