00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Hello, just an artist that would like to improve!

338 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello everyone, I am kind of new to posting my art on newgrounds. Not much to say, but I would like to improve as much as I can. Anyway, here's two of my pictures:

iu_142431_6477257.jpgMade in High School

iu_142432_6477257.jpgEddie (Iron Maiden) as Ryu from Street Fighter!

However, there are a few things I can't draw: Animals, Guns, Mecha (Something I am trying to learn) and Vehicles. Hopefully, posting some art here and learning to draw better through reviews. Wish me luck!

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-12 14:48:20

Not bad , but the proportions are off, one of the man's fore arms is way too tiny, usually the fore arm and the upper arm are the same length.

Also the lady's torso is way too thin.

I got better at proportions by refferencing photos of people that I saw on a search engine. I highly reccomend it. And rough drafts will save you a head ache as well. That's usually how I spot these problems before it's too late.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-13 11:36:47

beats my drawings. i dunno.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-13 16:12:31

I see great potential behind your drawing skill, you just need to make as perfect as possible.

Take a look at this page, I'm sure it will help you to improve the skill you already have

https://conceptartempire.com/anime-manga-drawing-tutorials/

Good luck on your drawing career

At 7/14/20 05:05 PM, WesleyS wrote:
At 7/12/20 02:48 PM, thepixelizer wrote: Not bad , but the proportions are off, one of the man's fore arms is way too tiny, usually the fore arm and the upper arm are the same length.

I got better at proportions by refferencing photos of people that I saw on a search engine. I highly reccomend it. And rough drafts will save you a head ache as well. That's usually how I spot these problems before it's too late.

Sorry, I meant to actually reply, but pressed enter to early, Anyway thank you for your advice, and I'll try to do that. Anyway, thanks again! Also, the eddie one was made a few weeks ago, while the one with the girl was made in my high school years, which was about 7 or 8 years ago.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-14 17:06:51

At 7/14/20 05:05 PM, WesleyS wrote:
At 7/12/20 02:48 PM, thepixelizer wrote: Not bad , but the proportions are off, one of the man's fore arms is way too tiny, usually the fore arm and the upper arm are the same length.

Sorry, I meant to actually reply, but pressed enter to early, Anyway thank you for your advice, and I'll try to do that. Anyway, thanks again!

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-14 17:07:24

At 7/13/20 11:36 AM, snyper02 wrote: beats my drawings. i dunno.

Hey, don't beat yourself up, just keep trying!

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-14 17:08:06

At 7/13/20 04:12 PM, MugenELSalvador wrote: I see great potential behind your drawing skill, you just need to make as perfect as possible.

Take a look at this page, I'm sure it will help you to improve the skill you already have
https://conceptartempire.com/anime-manga-drawing-tutorials/

Good luck on your drawing career

Thanks, I will read the article.

Hey! Always fun to see Eddie the Head.

I think you're at a stage where detailed critique on individual pieces might actually hold you back, since the skills you want to train will best be done through new studies and exercises. The good news is, you're also at a stage where seriously training fundamentals is going to make you improve at a fast pace.

I made this thread for people to post tutorials and learning resources, which I recommend you check out.

The first item on the list, Drawabox, is the most important one, and the one I think you should start on if you want to improve. If you start at the beginning and complete at least one exercise/assignment per week, I bet you'll be very surprised at your progress in only a couple months.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-15 15:03:53

At 7/14/20 09:32 PM, Skoops wrote: Hey! Always fun to see Eddie the Head.
I think you're at a stage where detailed critique on individual pieces might actually hold you back, since the skills you want to train will best be done through new studies and exercises. The good news is, you're also at a stage where seriously training fundamentals is going to make you improve at a fast pace.

I made this thread for people to post tutorials and learning resources, which I recommend you check out.
The first item on the list, Drawabox, is the most important one, and the one I think you should start on if you want to improve. If you start at the beginning and complete at least one exercise/assignment per week, I bet you'll be very surprised at your progress in only a couple months.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-15 15:04:18

At 7/14/20 09:32 PM, Skoops wrote: Hey! Always fun to see Eddie the Head.

Thank you

your Eddie looks better then mine.but the best thing to do is read some books on drawing,i one that help me out a lot is how to draw, drawing and sketching things from imagination.and study all the fundamentals.hope its helps

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-16 04:00:45

my advice, Draw extremely hard stuff, when I got into drawing, I was in middle school at the time I believe, I wanted to improve dramatically so I decided that I would go outside and draw everything, and when I say everything I mean everything, I sat down and drew a tree, leaf for leaf, shaded everything, and the cool thing is it gives you an eye for detail, shading bark for example gives you an idea for texture which you can then apply to a drawing of a horrific abomination covered in veins with extreme detail. alternatively just draw everything that everyone complains about drawing and master it. so key, draw hard stuff, shade, and coloring will come naturally. that being said, I'm going to agree with a few of the others and go ahead and say it looks like you're on the right track.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-16 13:14:57

Try studying life drawing that helped me alot, studying the body and figure both nude and clothed will help you tremendously

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Spray an 8.5-inch loaf pan with baking spray.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-17 00:19:34

At 7/12/20 06:07 AM, WesleyS wrote: Hello everyone, I am kind of new to posting my art on newgrounds. Not much to say, but I would like to improve as much as I can. Anyway, here's two of my pictures:
Made in High School
Eddie (Iron Maiden) as Ryu from Street Fighter!
However, there are a few things I can't draw: Animals, Guns, Mecha (Something I am trying to learn) and Vehicles. Hopefully, posting some art here and learning to draw better through reviews. Wish me luck!

dude that art is AWESOME

you are talented i mean you can draw literal fire.

BBS Signature

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-17 02:08:29

At 7/12/20 06:07 AM, WesleyS wrote: Hello everyone, I am kind of new to posting my art on newgrounds. Not much to say, but I would like to improve as much as I can. Anyway, here's two of my pictures:
Made in High School

I think one thing that you can work on is line confidence. Your second drawing seems to try to go for a hatch shading type look so I would definitely recommend practicing making stronger lines with one stroke, as opposed to shaky and scribble lines. Do gesture drawing, it’ll help drill proportions as well as line confidence! Good luck

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-17 03:16:10

Made in High School

They both could use some work, but a good place to start nonetheless. I've got a few suggestions that may, or may not, be helpful.

-First, start studying from realism. I know, it's a pain in the ass and it may make you feel held back creatively, but it's a great way to understand the structure of what you're aiming to create. A good way to make this routine a little more fun, and creatively stimulating, is to gather a list of your favorite characters. Every session you sit down to draw, practice drawing one character off of the list using you choice of realism reference material. Eventually, you'll get to a place where you've retained all the practice you've done and drawing without the references will not always be necessary. Although, that isn't to say that you won't need them from time to time.

-Second, if you wanna get better, you have to be intentional. Not every session is going to yield a Picasso-esque work of art, but regardless you should make it a point to practice at least a little everyday. Or, really, just do the best you can. No need to put so much pressure on yourself you get debilitating creative anxiety.

-Third, look for inspiration from your favorite artist. This tip is key because, generally, this is how an artist will acquire their unique style. You're on Newgrounds, a place where creativity and astounding talent coalesce. Finding some good inspiration should be fairly simple. At the same time, don't let your favorite artist's talent leave you feeling shot down. Every artist works at a different pace. As long as you maintain a positive mindset, as well as the intention to actually do the work it takes to get better, then you should perfectly fine.

-Forth, it may be worth it to start stock piling reference material. Personally, I'd prefer to use Pintrest for the most part, but utilizing sources like Instagram or good 'ole Google images works just the same. Stock pilling references could potential help you have a more efficient drawing session. Doing this ahead of time takes less time away from you actually creating and progressing. It'd also be a good idea to maybe make a list of your favorite artist's or any noteworthy artist's. However, don't just straight up copy an artist's work. Unless it's solely for study purposes, or explicitly expressed by the original artist him or herself, it's best to use their work for inspirational or study purposes only.

Hopefully you found something useful in all this. If something isn't clear, or you've got a questions in general about progressing, feel free to ask.

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-17 17:47:40

At 7/17/20 03:16 AM, JodaJo wrote:
Made in High School
They both could use some work, but a good place to start nonetheless. I've got a few suggestions that may, or may not, be helpful.

-First, start studying from realism. I know, it's a pain in the ass and it may make you feel held back creatively, but it's a great way to understand the structure of what you're aiming to create. A good way to make this routine a little more fun, and creatively stimulating, is to gather a list of your favorite characters. Every session you sit down to draw, practice drawing one character off of the list using you choice of realism reference material. Eventually, you'll get to a place where you've retained all the practice you've done and drawing without the references will not always be necessary. Although, that isn't to say that you won't need them from time to time.
-Second, if you wanna get better, you have to be intentional. Not every session is going to yield a Picasso-esque work of art, but regardless you should make it a point to practice at least a little everyday. Or, really, just do the best you can. No need to put so much pressure on yourself you get debilitating creative anxiety.
-Third, look for inspiration from your favorite artist. This tip is key because, generally, this is how an artist will acquire their unique style. You're on Newgrounds, a place where creativity and astounding talent coalesce. Finding some good inspiration should be fairly simple. At the same time, don't let your favorite artist's talent leave you feeling shot down. Every artist works at a different pace. As long as you maintain a positive mindset, as well as the intention to actually do the work it takes to get better, then you should perfectly fine.
-Forth, it may be worth it to start stock piling reference material. Personally, I'd prefer to use Pintrest for the most part, but utilizing sources like Instagram or good 'ole Google images works just the same. Stock pilling references could potential help you have a more efficient drawing session. Doing this ahead of time takes less time away from you actually creating and progressing. It'd also be a good idea to maybe make a list of your favorite artist's or any noteworthy artist's. However, don't just straight up copy an artist's work. Unless it's solely for study purposes, or explicitly expressed by the original artist him or herself, it's best to use their work for inspirational or study purposes only.

Hopefully you found something useful in all this. If something isn't clear, or you've got a questions in general about progressing, feel free to ask.

Thank you, you've been awesome! I do admit, if I copy from fan art, I would rather either keep up for myself or asked/credit the artist if it would be alright....But with this reply, I learn that is not a good thing, so thank you, I have always been nervous about my art....Thanks again for clearing it up for me!

Response to Hello, just an artist that would like to improve! 2020-07-17 19:11:52

At 7/17/20 05:47 PM, WesleyS wrote:
At 7/17/20 03:16 AM, JodaJo wrote:
Made in High School

Thank you, you've been awesome! I do admit, if I copy from fan art, I would rather either keep up for myself or asked/credit the artist if it would be alright....But with this reply, I learn that is not a good thing, so thank you, I have always been nervous about my art....Thanks again for clearing it up for me!

I'm happy I could be of help :)

As far as copying from another artist's fan art goes, this is fine if the purpose is for study. It's more than fine to try and learn another artist's methods, just be sure not to pass that study material off as your own. At the end of the day, whatever method you use to study, whether it's copying the techniques of another artist, studying from realism, etc., just be sure that whatever you upload is the end result of the hard work you've been putting in and not just copied art that you intend to pass off as your own.

Good luck and if you've got any qualms or questions feel free to ask. :)