00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

How do humans move?

183 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do humans move? 2020-06-24 16:31:36

I spent a week or so trying to learn Blender and all. Finally got to rigging, gave my character some bones and could finally move him and animate him.

ONE PROBLEM!

I have no idea how people move. I don't have a clue how to set bones so it looks half decent. Before Blender I studied Gamemaker Studio 2 for 2 weeks, but realized i can't move past the tutorial I finished because I had no sprites, and my stupid ego couldn't cope with my bad drawings, which led me to learn 3D stuff because it needs more knowledge than talent.

If you are an animator, where do you get your reference from? I'd like to understand the movement of those earthlings.

If I were smart enough at 9 I would've made a NG account instead of Facebook. I've used this site for almost a decade, but my stupidness only registered during the pandemic.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-25 03:01:49

At 6/24/20 04:31 PM, EinMeister wrote: ONE PROBLEM!
I have no idea how people move. I don't have a clue how to set bones so it looks half decent. Before Blender I studied Gamemaker Studio 2 for 2 weeks, but realized i can't move past the tutorial I finished because I had no sprites, and my stupid ego couldn't cope with my bad drawings, which led me to learn 3D stuff because it needs more knowledge than talent.
If you are an animator, where do you get your reference from? I'd like to understand the movement of those earthlings.

Hi mate,

I'd suggest you get a book on animation.

Could be the Survival Kit by Richard Williams, Character Animation Crash Course by Eric Goldberg or Preston Blair's Advanced Animation.

You need to learn some principles and some terminology. After that you will be able to start to gain understanding both about motion mechanics, timing and stylisation/choreography of motion.

Very few people can skip the basic exercises, so do them, and after that you should be able to analyse various aspects of movement - whether it would be by looking at yourself in the mirror or just visualising in your head.

Learning to animate well takes time, so be prepared to invest months and years into this. It's much easier to learn new software than to learn how to animate well.

Good luck!

Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for Flash character animation

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-25 07:26:27

At 6/25/20 03:01 AM, ntilcheff wrote:
At 6/24/20 04:31 PM, EinMeister wrote: ONE PROBLEM!
Hi mate,

I'd suggest you get a book on animation.

Could be the Survival Kit by Richard Williams, Character Animation Crash Course by Eric Goldberg or Preston Blair's Advanced Animation.

You need to learn some principles and some terminology. After that you will be able to start to gain understanding both about motion mechanics, timing and stylisation/choreography of motion.

Very few people can skip the basic exercises, so do them, and after that you should be able to analyse various aspects of movement - whether it would be by looking at yourself in the mirror or just visualising in your head.

Learning to animate well takes time, so be prepared to invest months and years into this. It's much easier to learn new software than to learn how to animate well.

Good luck!

I'm trying to build myself a solid base so I don't make another "1$ asset flip meme game + anime tiddies", I guess some months of practice and learning can't do any harm. Thanks for the tips, I'll try to get my hands on the books and read the one I get first.

If I were smart enough at 9 I would've made a NG account instead of Facebook. I've used this site for almost a decade, but my stupidness only registered during the pandemic.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-28 15:04:33

At 6/24/20 04:31 PM, EinMeister wrote: I spent a week or so trying to learn Blender and all. Finally got to rigging, gave my character some bones and could finally move him and animate him.

ONE PROBLEM!

Try searching for a loop animation gif, or a game sprite reference sheet. Learn to hunt!

iu_137153_4241137.pngiu_137154_4241137.jpg

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-28 17:36:04 (edited 2020-06-28 17:36:19)

At 6/28/20 03:04 PM, grimview wrote:
At 6/24/20 04:31 PM, EinMeister wrote: I spent a week or so trying to learn Blender and all. Finally got to rigging, gave my character some bones and could finally move him and animate him.

ONE PROBLEM!

Try searching for a loop animation gif, or a game sprite reference sheet. Learn to hunt!

That's pretty cool! I eventually gave up on a part of animating though. Limbs turned out to be hard to control and finding/making a good rig is hard, so I decided to get inspired by flash games I used to play almost a decade ago and give up on limbs. I got this idea mainly from Madness Project Nexus and Chaos Faction 2, but many other games used it. I'm trying to do something alone, so as long as the game is fun I guess no one would complain about the limbs.

The hard part is actually finding my own style because i don't want to rip off, i could think about it for hours and yet find nothing. The most iconic part of madness is the + into everyone's face, which I obviously can not use. Maybe I should stop being so concerned about this and just try to make a fun game with whatever i find.

Do you know any sites for those sprite sheets?

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-28 17:41:28

At 6/28/20 05:36 PM, EinMeister wrote:

ONE PROBLEM!

That's pretty cool! I eventually gave up on a part of animating though. Limbs turned out to be hard to control and finding/making a good rig is hard, so I decided to get inspired by flash games I used to play almost a decade ago and give up on limbs. I got this idea mainly from Madness Project Nexus and Chaos Faction 2, but many other games used it. I'm trying to do something alone, so as long as the game is fun I guess no one would complain about the limbs.

The hard part is actually finding my own style because i don't want to rip off, i could think about it for hours and yet find nothing. The most iconic part of madness is the + into everyone's face, which I obviously can not use. Maybe I should stop being so concerned about this and just try to make a fun game with whatever i find.

When you search for the ripped sprite reference sheets you will find the sites that have more rips.

The plus on the madness faces is actually drawing tactic, to find the direction the face is pointing. Usually the nose starts at the plus.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-28 17:45:02

At 6/28/20 05:41 PM, grimview wrote:

ONE PROBLEM!

When you search for the ripped sprite reference sheets you will find the sites that have more rips.
The plus on the madness faces is actually drawing tactic, to find the direction the face is pointing. Usually the nose starts at the plus.

Oh, how didn't i think about that!

About the plus, i know it points the direction. It's just that it is a creative way of doing that and pretty simple compared to drawing all the facial features.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-28 19:51:10

At 6/28/20 05:45 PM, EinMeister wrote:
At 6/28/20 05:41 PM, grimview wrote:

ONE PROBLEM!

Oh, how didn't i think about that!

About the plus, i know it points the direction. It's just that it is a creative way of doing that and pretty simple compared to drawing all the facial features.

Yes its lazy simple. There's some math or symmetry behind dividing the face.I thinks its something like the head is 5 eyes wide. You can look up how to draw to find out more.

iu_137257_4241137.jpg

iu_137258_4241137.jpg

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-29 22:17:48

It's not rocket science, most human movements happen in an ark.

And most of the time human movements never goin a straight line, unless you're Baymax. Imagine doing a snow angel it's almost a complete circle.

Search engine examples

The shoulders and thighs are connected on a ball socket meaning they can pivot in any direction while the knees and elbows bend like a door hinge open and close. But not the opposite way back unless you're character is a contortionist, the head can pivot everyway except for directly backwards, mix all these together with constraints and IK and you got yourself a rig.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-30 00:17:25

ONE PROBLEM!

i thought this was a real life question and i was like "hey same question here"

BBS Signature

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-30 04:15:33

At 6/29/20 10:17 PM, thepixelizer wrote: It's not rocket science, most human movements happen in an ark.
And most of the time human movements never goin a straight line, unless you're Baymax. Imagine doing a snow angel it's almost a complete circle.
Search engine examples
The shoulders and thighs are connected on a ball socket meaning they can pivot in any direction while the knees and elbows bend like a door hinge open and close. But not the opposite way back unless you're character is a contortionist, the head can pivot everyway except for directly backwards, mix all these together with constraints and IK and you got yourself a rig.

This gave me a pretty good idea about anatomy. I knew it, but just at a subconscious level so I never thought about it. I guess I'm ready after all. I even made my character models yesterday.

Also btw isn't it weird how all our toes have 3 structure bones, yet the big one only 2? All our fingers have 3 too, all external, yet our thumb just 2 and one inside the hand. Mindblow

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-30 05:31:34

I recommend observation above all else when learning how things move, since training your eye to see what you need is the prerequisite for every other skill down the line. Watching human movement, in slow motion if you can, is a good way to start. Consider where the pivot points are, especially in areas that are not as obvious as arm and leg joints, like the neck and torso. See how much you can intuit on your own before moving on to reading.

After doing some visual study and personal observation, books like the Animator's Survival Guide will help contextualize what you just studied, and can help you retain the logic of everything you saw, simplify it, and make it easier to replicate. Still images and text can only get you so far. This is a visual, motion based art, so observe and study motion first and foremost, attempt to interpret it, THEN see how the masters break it down.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-06-30 16:08:10

iu_137830_8064572.gif

This is pretty much all I did today. I messed a lot with the animation and the difference between the first and the last examples are huge. What do you think? Does it look too robotic?

Response to How do humans move? 2020-07-14 22:32:21

ONE PROBLEM!

I watch a lot of videos of people dancing on YouTube. There is also endless reference on YouTube too. Endless reference has basic human motions.

Response to How do humans move? 2020-07-15 06:33:29

At 7/14/20 10:32 PM, Roguefortqueen wrote:

ONE PROBLEM!

I watch a lot of videos of people dancing on YouTube. There is also endless reference on YouTube too. Endless reference has basic human motions.

I pretty much got the hang of it already, made some pretty realistic animations.

iu_143505_8064572.gif

Here is one of them, a bit outdated because in the current version the left hand moves back a bit at the final attack, but I guess it ended up pretty nicely.