00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Just an european confussed about BLM

1,019 Views | 56 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So, im an european and the concept of BLM is foreign. My black friends are against it because they say thy have the same rights as white people, if not more(internships, scholarships, etc.).

Anyhow, what i dont get is the following: What IS BLM?

Is it a sort of hashtag/protest/activism thing or a political faction?

Im asking this, since the official BLM DC twitter account said they were about defunding the police, and that seems more like a political faction than anything else.

Also, why do people kneel?

Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-10 06:16:33

At 6/10/20 05:09 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: So, im an european and the concept of BLM is foreign. My black friends are against it because they say thy have the same rights as white people, if not more(internships, scholarships, etc.).

I'm a European.

What are your black friends (assumed to be European as well) against?

It seems like a bias based on personal experience in Europe.

Colin Kaepernick took the knee as a protest for racial injustice and systematic oppression in the US.

Several people weren't keen on him doing that 3-years ago as a form of protest, but compared to street protests it's a lot quieter and there's less tidying up afterwards.

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-10 07:07:40

At 6/10/20 05:09 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: So, im an european and the concept of BLM is foreign. My black friends are against it because they say thy have the same rights as white people, if not more(internships, scholarships, etc.).

Im asking this, since the official BLM DC twitter account said they were about defunding the police, and that seems more like a political faction than anything else.

It's intended as a movement to prevent violence from law enforcement that is directed at black people. The thing is, it's largely bases on intentionally misinterpreted information and overtly racist ideology. The movement as a whole is extremely unpopular with black people from other cultures.

In other words: There's a lot more nuance than anyone wants to believe.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-10 10:33:54

Black Lives Matter isn’t so much a political faction as it is a movement that protests for serious police reform and end to racial discrimination. Up until recently, BLM was mostly a scattershot group that had similar goals but with different methods and few power players took them seriously, and if anything most companies and politicians either wanted no part of it, or was trying to quash it, which worked for a while, until George Floyd happened.

I find it kind of funny that the BLM movement had spread worldwide, when they really never cared before and doesn’t really affect them as a whole, not to mention there is a degree of hypocrisy involved. Obviously countries like China use the riots to say that America is still a Jim Crow society, while imprisoning and killing millions of ethnic Uighurs and Tibetans, and even among countries that know better has arguably more racist tendencies than we have in the past, such as the scramble for Africa, World War 2 in general, or to a lesser extent, the migrant crisis of a few years ago.

It was a tactic used by Colin Kaepernick as a way to protest injustice in a preseason NFL game, and it soon became a trend. Of course, the majority of people didn’t like that and made it out to be against the military, the flag and so forth and turned them into pariahs. It also didn’t help Kap’s case that most networks treated him as a martyr, until they were told to knock it off, and Kap himself praising Fidel Castro, who was the Latin American version of Saddam Hussein, an obvious no-no in many circles.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

BLM is uniquely American. It is just another movement born from the racial tension that go all the way back to our civil war(which freed the blacks, though not all agree that was the reason), and is in current response to the uneven treatment by our judicial system towards mostly black minorities. Blacks in other countries may see it as something that might hurt them by opening up racial tensions in their own countries.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-10 23:10:27

Yes as a European it also doesn't fly with me. It's pathetic and I think black rights campaigners of the past would look down at the state of this with shame.

The knee symbolism I find honestly very disturbing too. Seriously, a guy is killed by a knee and you think "taking the knee" is a good idea to show solidarity or some shit?

Fuck your mind is darkness.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-10 23:54:25

At 6/10/20 12:18 PM, EdyKel wrote: BLM is uniquely American.

I'm curious if it is or not. We have marches and protests going on in Canada too, but we also share a border and similar social structure for the most part. I haven't heard of protests happening in the UK, France, or the rest of Europe, except for the one in London I just googled. 135,000 people.

One funny thing about the march was trust fund baby Trudeau taking a knee for BLM/White privilege while wearing what was assumed to be a $10,000 watch.

At 6/10/20 11:10 PM, AcidX wrote: Yes as a European it also doesn't fly with me. It's pathetic and I think black rights campaigners of the past would look down at the state of this with shame.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been any MLK referencing or symbolism. Seen a picture of a protester with a sign in Rastafari colors and a picture of Bob Marley.

I wonder if people even understand the concepts they're speaking up for. Not just BLM, but that'll be for another thread.

Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-11 00:43:45

At 6/10/20 11:54 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
I'm curious if it is or not. We have marches and protests going on in Canada too, but we also share a border and similar social structure for the most part. I haven't heard of protests happening in the UK, France, or the rest of Europe, except for the one in London I just googled. 135,000 people.

One funny thing about the march was trust fund baby Trudeau taking a knee for BLM/White privilege while wearing what was assumed to be a $10,000 watch.

BLM is uniquely american, but that doesn't mean other people in other countries can't show support for it or show similar concern towards their own law enforcement agencies. Even in the US, you don't have to be part of the BLM movement to have concern over the justice and law enforcement system. The US, after all, has the biggest prison system in the world, with a lot of terrible laws. And our law enforcement is often militarizing.

Not sure about Trudeau's sincerity, but we have a bunch of millionaire christian leaders who flout expensive business suites, rings, and rolexes, and preach about how god gives prosperity to those who are faithful - and most of them Support Trump.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-11 19:51:58

At 6/10/20 11:54 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:

I would think First Nations/Indigenous issues would be a much bigger deal up there. I'm aware of the pipeline protests that were going on.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-12 15:31:06

At 6/10/20 11:10 PM, AcidX wrote: The knee symbolism I find honestly very disturbing too. Seriously, a guy is killed by a knee and you think "taking the knee" is a good idea to show solidarity or some shit?

Kneeling predates what happened to George Floyd though. I wouldn't read to much in the symbolic aspect of it, but personally, I think supporters should change to the Lotus position.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-12 15:54:54

I keep breaking these promises to myself I think that all nations do fucked up shit to its own people and theirs multiple reasons blm Existing there has been racial inequality in the us past and even current times in the United States of America now excuse me I’m gonna sit in a corner

I’m not A Role good model

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-12 17:03:41

At 6/10/20 05:09 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: Im asking this, since the official BLM DC twitter account said they were about defunding the police, and that seems more like a political faction than anything else.

that's because they are political

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 10:53:41

BLM is just a propaganda wing of the DNC for reinforcing the victimhood mentality that has been taught for the last 30 years.

It's surprisingly effective.

This paired with the NAACP, which is used to shower Democrat politicians and their allies with praised and awards to help ensure that the black population remains loyal, despite the fact that the Democrats have spent well over 100 years writing laws to ensure that the black population is kept down and still benefit from it to this day.

If you need proof of the NAACP's cynical mission, they gave a man who fought against civil rights, fought against integration of blacks in the military, started his own chapter of the KKK, and even voted against Thurgood Marshall.

But he's a Democrat so he gets the stamp of approval because he saw the shifting political winds and covered his blatant and open racism later because it would have spelled the end of his political career.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 11:10:43

Ok, I've got a wacky but kinda serious question: The BLM protesters(the left) have occupied and declared an independent nation(CHAZ). From what I understand, last time that happened it gave way to the Civil War.

So... Civil war? Between the right and the left?

Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 11:12:21

At 6/16/20 11:10 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: Ok, I've got a wacky but kinda serious question: The BLM protesters(the left) have occupied and declared an independent nation(CHAZ). From what I understand, last time that happened it gave way to the Civil War.

Not likely. That would be a very short war, especially given the makeup of the US military.

Black Lives Matter is a rallying cry against police violence in the United States, and it can be used anywhere. The basic gist of it is that people are tired of being killed by the police. In the US, black and hispanic people are killed by police at a disproportionately high rate compared to population, and often cops are not punished for killing them. It all boiled over again this year with the killing of George Floyd by police, who was an innocent man who died (read: was killed) by police officer Derek Chauvin who knelt on his neck. It was caught on camera; there were other police officers who stood around and watched it happen. It took 8 Minutes and 46 Seconds for him to die. Another killing that has gained a lot of attention was Breonna Taylor.

People kneel because of Colin Kaepernick, who is a professional football player who tried to bring attention to the issue (years ago) by kneeling during the national anthem that's played before football games. The league basically conspired against him to get him shunned and force him out of the league, which was a big deal for years.

Saying "Black Lives Matter" isn't implying that other kinds of life don't matter. It's focusing attention on the fact that police kill black and brown people and don't face consequences.

People are also saying to "defund the police" because cities in the US will spend billions on police while neglecting other important civil services, like education and health. Detroit, for example, has a notoriously poorly funded education system, yet spends 30% of the budget on police.

iu_133142_1625818.jpg

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 15:32:00

At 6/16/20 11:10 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: Ok, I've got a wacky but kinda serious question: The BLM protesters(the left) have occupied and declared an independent nation(CHAZ). From what I understand, last time that happened it gave way to the Civil War.

South Carolina seceded in 1860 and requested Fort Sumter give up its arms to the Palmetto Republic, but they refused, so S Carolina fired at them, essentially triggering the War. Didn't mention between S Carolina seceding and the battle, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas seceded. If the polarization continues escalating, this won't be on a state level like in the 1860s. Many states including conservative ones have liberal hot-spots. If a second Civil War were to break out, it would most likely be similar to the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) and as complicated as the Syrian Civil War (2011-Present). So by city or even neighborhood level. I've seen people propose an ideas around red states and blue states (cities) break away to form their own federations before an actual conflict breaks out.

Making unoriginal content since 2008!

BBS Signature

You believe in what you want to believe in

Don't let others change your beliefs.

But Its kinda like a protest bc what happened a few weeks ago y'know that stuff..

Helo

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 17:49:19

At 6/16/20 02:44 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Black Lives Matter is a rallying cry against police violence in the United States, and it can be used anywhere. The basic gist of it is that people are tired of being killed by the police. In the US, black and hispanic people are killed by police at a disproportionately high rate compared to population, and often cops are not punished for killing them. It all boiled over again this year with the killing of George Floyd by police, who was an innocent man who died (read: was killed) by police officer Derek Chauvin who knelt on his neck. It was caught on camera; there were other police officers who stood around and watched it happen. It took 8 Minutes and 46 Seconds for him to die. Another killing that has gained a lot of attention was Breonna Taylor.

Until Floyd, the BLM movement was a collection of violent protesters who almost exclusively complained about the deaths of VERY guilty scumbags, who happened to be black, all of whom engaged in very grevious misconduct leading to their own deaths. Not one was a sympathetic character. Meanwhile, more deserving black men were largely overlooked by the radicals who comprised BLM.

BLM thus distorts the reality of the system, which is that innocents are killed by police without regard to color, without punishment, and pretends that there is systematic racism, by deliberately focusing on the (much higher numbers) of guilty black men who bring it on themselves. There is never any evidence to believe that the cases they complain about (including Floyd himself) have anything to do with color. Violent protests which primarily victimize black communities were nohing more than an excuse to riot and commit crime, under the guise of "protest".

That Floyd's case is inexcusable doesn't legitimize a fundamentally corrupt movement.

It is a shame that the government breaks the law more than the criminals it punishes.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 18:57:14

At 6/16/20 05:49 PM, WolvenBear wrote: Until Floyd, the BLM movement was a collection of violent protesters who almost exclusively complained about the deaths of VERY guilty scumbags, who happened to be black, all of whom engaged in very grevious misconduct leading to their own deaths. Not one was a sympathetic character.

Philando Castile was a guilty scumbag of what, exactly? What was Walter Scott guilty of? Botham Jean isn't a sympathetic character? What about Terence Crutcher? Stephon Clark? Please bring light to the grievous misconduct they engaged in which precipitated their–ostensibly, from your point of view, justified–deaths, and explain why it is merely a coincidence that they all "happened" to be black?

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 19:00:01

Nope. The CHAZ (or CHOP) is more akin to a hippie commune than an actual secessionist movement. At anytime, authorities can easily shut the whole thing down in a matter of hours and nothing of value would be lost.

Of course, Seattle is pussyfooting around this, and the state isn’t going to do much about it. Their strategy is that CHAZ will eventually give up once their meager food and supplies run out, or becomes too much of a criminal magnet to ignore, so it might just be better to wait it out rather than risk more riots because the police told squatters to fuck off.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 19:51:36

I think only one side wants to start a civil war in this country, and it's not likely the left. It's why you have plenty of far right groups joining in the chaos, hoping to spark a new one - though, all they do is make the right look bad.

Here is a recent example: Violent counter-protesters mobbed a small-town BLM demonstration in Ohio amid false rumors of antifa.

The clash comes amid a series of precarious and dangerous encounters at largely peaceful protests, as vigilante groups, like the civil war accelerationist movement Boogaloo Bois, continue to pop up.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 21:27:27

At 6/16/20 06:57 PM, Feoric wrote:
At 6/16/20 05:49 PM, WolvenBear wrote: Until Floyd, the BLM movement was a collection of violent protesters who almost exclusively complained about the deaths of VERY guilty scumbags, who happened to be black, all of whom engaged in very grevious misconduct leading to their own deaths. Not one was a sympathetic character.
Philando Castile was a guilty scumbag of what, exactly? What was Walter Scott guilty of? Botham Jean isn't a sympathetic character? What about Terence Crutcher? Stephon Clark? Please bring light to the grievous misconduct they engaged in which precipitated their–ostensibly, from your point of view, justified–deaths, and explain why it is merely a coincidence that they all "happened" to be black?

The protests I remember for most of these cases were not organized nor led by BLM. At best, I remember a few signs. For example, https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/16/532783821/minnesota-police-officer-found-not-guilty-in-shooting-death-of-philando-castile. In a predominantly white crowd, you see a white person holding a black lives matter sign in the Castille protests. Likewise, most mentions of BLM in connection with Crutcher, Clark, Scott and Jean are done by white journalists, not the BLM movement itself. Indeed, the Crutcher protests had absolutely nothing to do with BLM but instead a group called "We the People", a group which opposes police brutality against people of all races.

By contrast, the BLM movement glommed onto Treyvon Martin, a violent little sociopath, who plotted ambushing and murdering George Zimmerman in a recorded call with his girlfriend, where they gleefully talked about it while he stalked him back to his car. Martin was shot dead in his vicious assault, and the BLM movement was furious. Likewise, posterchild Michael Brown was videotaped victimizing black storeowners an hour before he tried to steal a police officer's gun and was shot dead in the attempt.

Indeed, even the BLM wikipedia page states that BLM largely faded after its initial protests over these two men, and was little more than an also ran in any other case UNTIL Floyd.

OMG! He correctly said that the violent BLM protests over scumbags were nothing to be proud of, while distinguishing them from other innocent black people killed by cops which BLM was largely silent over! (Exactly what happened.) That means he's ok with police killing innocent black people...which is the exact opposite of what he said!

Shoo

It is a shame that the government breaks the law more than the criminals it punishes.

Wherever you find BLM, you find Antifa as well. Antifa likes to say “black lives matter” but their words are completely juxtaposed by their actions.

Every time that Antifa shows up somewhere they smash black-owned businesses, destroy black neighborhoods, torch black houses, beat the living shit out of black people for opposing their ideological viewpoint (Or even just fucking being in the wrong place at the wrong time), and they refuse to allow black people to have any agency or any voice.

They never burn down white suburbs or torch the businesses that they claim to hate, they never target Hispanic communities or Asian communities or Middle-Eastern communities, they only destroy black communities.

Antifa is a white supremacist organization masquerading as benevolence. Do what the white man tells you. It's for your own good.

#klantifa

why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:12:19

At 6/16/20 10:53 AM, UglyJim wrote: BLM is just a propaganda wing of the DNC for reinforcing the victimhood mentality that has been taught for the last 30 years.

I don't think people in BLM really think the Democratic party is going to save them (maybe some do, I'm not attempting to speak for all of them.) It's more likely that the Republican party is so overtly racist that it makes more sense for them to vote blue.

I think it's more that the Democratic party will attempt to co-opt any movement for its own gain and make it partisan to win favor, in the same sense that the Republican party co-opts Christianity and American imperialism. There are legitimate interest groups in the US, the issue is more that they get defaced by support from dubious sources, noise, misinformation, and virtue signalling.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:20:45

At 6/16/20 10:12 PM, Kwing wrote: I don't think people in BLM really think the Democratic party is going to save them (maybe some do, I'm not attempting to speak for all of them.) It's more likely that the Republican party is so overtly racist that it makes more sense for them to vote blue.

Ok I really want to hear more about this. What do you think racism is and how does the Republican Party (plural) emulate it?

The Republican Party are a lot of bad things. They are whimpering, whipped dogs and beaten wives that haven’t defended their constituents in 40 years.

But they aren’t racist.

why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:47:20

BLM is just a movement of people protesting mostly police brutality against black americans, but also the prison industrial complex and racism in general. some people who are involved with BLM are for defunding the police entirely, and some just want police reform.

people kneel as a general protest of how america was built on slavery and how black people continue to struggle in america. systematic racism in america is particularly bad compared to other majority-white countries, so it's understandable that your black european friends may not understand.

in my opinion people who say that BLM is some far left extremist thing are just trying to paint it as some antifa/hippie/commie thing to scare people away. that or they're just butthurt about the name of it.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:50:05

At 6/10/20 11:10 PM, AcidX wrote: Yes as a European it also doesn't fly with me. It's pathetic and I think black rights campaigners of the past would look down at the state of this with shame.

The knee symbolism I find honestly very disturbing too. Seriously, a guy is killed by a knee and you think "taking the knee" is a good idea to show solidarity or some shit?

"black rights campaigners of the past would look down at the state of this with shame."

MLK's son supports it lmao. i think he knows what his father would or wouldn't condone

also, the knee thing existed way before George Floyd's death, it's just a coincidence.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:52:11

At 6/16/20 02:44 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote:

Black Lives Matter is a rallying cry against police violence in the United States, and it can be used anywhere. The basic gist of it is that people are tired of being killed by the police. In the US, black and hispanic people are killed by police at a disproportionately high rate compared to population, and often cops are not punished for killing them. It all boiled over again this year with the killing of George Floyd by police, who was an innocent man who died (read: was killed) by police officer Derek Chauvin who knelt on his neck. It was caught on camera; there were other police officers who stood around and watched it happen. It took 8 Minutes and 46 Seconds for him to die. Another killing that has gained a lot of attention was Breonna Taylor.

People kneel because of Colin Kaepernick, who is a professional football player who tried to bring attention to the issue (years ago) by kneeling during the national anthem that's played before football games. The league basically conspired against him to get him shunned and force him out of the league, which was a big deal for years.

Saying "Black Lives Matter" isn't implying that other kinds of life don't matter. It's focusing attention on the fact that police kill black and brown people and don't face consequences.

People are also saying to "defund the police" because cities in the US will spend billions on police while neglecting other important civil services, like education and health. Detroit, for example, has a notoriously poorly funded education system, yet spends 30% of the budget on police.

yeah, this explained it perfectly.

Response to Just an european confussed about BLM 2020-06-16 22:57:31

At 6/16/20 07:51 PM, EdyKel wrote:

I think only one side wants to start a civil war in this country, and it's not likely the left. It's why you have plenty of far right groups joining in the chaos, hoping to spark a new one - though, all they do is make the right look bad.

Here is a recent example: Violent counter-protesters mobbed a small-town BLM demonstration in Ohio amid false rumors of antifa.

the people shitting their pants about the "big scary antifa monster" are just either deeply uneducated about what antifa actually stands for, or saw one video of some anarchist teenager in a bandanna punching someone and let it completely dictate their opinion on the ideology. propaganda works, kids!