00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Cool Artists to Check Out

4,098 Views | 44 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The following post is a bit stream-of-conscious and in no way an exhaustive recap of this month. I felt like pointing out a few cool things from recent weeks, without going overboard. Maybe you’ll start following someone new as a result!

@nashotobi has been working on an occult noir graphic novel called Colton Crux. It’s available for pre-order here and he’s been sharing some great imagery:

If you enjoy the cosmic horror vibes, don’t miss this one by @Shamfoo:

This sea creature by @nathanandersonart is also sufficiently creepy:

@Moonshen has been sharing jaw dropping pixel art, such as these works centered around Castlevania and Earthbound:

@moertel also popped in this month to share a cool new pixel piece:

@jouste has been at it every day lately, sharing a variety of original character designs:

@CaptionPanic meanwhile has been making all sorts of charming stuff:

@DavidBurt joined NG this month and shared some cool art, along with great short animations! Studio World is the only one that was front paged so far but they’re all worthy:

Also new this month and an artist to watch is @AlfrescoDick:

One more new artist to watch is @swingathings!

I was super hyped this week to see a new Sublo & Tangy Mustard from @Aaron-Long:

A new @Jerryjackson movie (from the mind of @Doki):

And a new movie from @JoelG, with a real experimental vibe:

In the game space, have you played Dark Soil by @OVERBOY?

OVERBOY is previously known for games like Prince Charmless and OVERGAME. I commissioned a Prince Charmless piece by @Cubesona that should be dropping soon and you can check out the Overgame piece I recently commissioned from @Shenaniganza:

Update: Prince Charmless has arrived!

Another commissioned piece you can expect soon is from @Sony-Shock, inspired by Volty’s Quest, which recently added ten more levels!

Update: Volty's Quest piece by Sony-Shock is a go!

RPG fans will want to check out Untamia’s Fantasy by @LeviRamirez:

While RTS fans should take a look at Winter Falling by @Rarykos:

Music-wise, I’ve been maintaining a May playlist Part 1 and Part 2. We’ve been talking a lot about expansions and improvements to the playlist system, hoping there will be more on that in the months ahead.

I’ll give a final shout-out to @AntonM, who I’ve been enjoying in three different portals.

What have been some of your favorite things so far this month?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 12:18:47

This is cool stuff. Ive checked out the lasted kingbastard this month and ive been playing a few old mobile games

Echo that David Burt's stuff is awesome.

After you put out the welcome mat for art school projects, this fun thesis film showed up among the many other great submissions:

I'm a fan of the Merry Melodies format. Hope this newcomer has more content in his future.

Thanks for the shoutout Tom! Also wow there's lots of good stuff mentioned in here. I really like DavidBurt's stuff!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 12:44:57

Wow! Tom, I'm so happy you like my work. Thank you for featuring it. I'm new to this platform and I've been having a lot of fun this week and already found some cool new people to connect with.

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 13:10:36

One of my favorite artists FoXcatO began releasing his webcomic, Silas, on Newgrounds last month. If you haven't checked it out, you're missing out.

Page one: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/foxcato/silas-01

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 13:21:53

Oh hell yeah, these are fantastic!

It's always a good day when I can find some great artists I may have previously overlooked.

I am the writer of the second greatest South Park fanfiction on this entire planet AND THEREFORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

Also I make cartoons, they're pretty cool too.

Awesome stuff!!!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 13:34:55

At 5/28/20 01:10 PM, Pop-Tart wrote: One of my favorite artists FoXcatO began releasing his webcomic, Silas, on Newgrounds last month. If you haven't checked it out, you're missing out.

Is there a way to scroll through a user's artwork new-to-old or in reverse, rather than opening each piece in a new tab?

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 13:40:34

At 5/28/20 01:34 PM, squeakytoad wrote:
At 5/28/20 01:10 PM, Pop-Tart wrote: One of my favorite artists FoXcatO began releasing his webcomic, Silas, on Newgrounds last month. If you haven't checked it out, you're missing out.

Is there a way to scroll through a user's artwork new-to-old or in reverse, rather than opening each piece in a new tab?

That remains a todo item, there are multiple things we would like to address on that front:

1) Allow a single art entry to have multiple hi-res images, where author can set them to load in vertically or browsed one at a time with prev / next buttons.

2) Allow art in a playlist to be browsed with prev / next buttons, while also giving the playlist optional album / folder status that makes it more prominently displayed on content and user pages (so for example if a song is part of an official album, that album playlist is prominently displayed).

3) Allow prev / next toggles of any content based on the source list sort order.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 13:51:58

This is GREAT!

God-tier curation from the Portal God himself!!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 14:01:06

Wow! Thanks for the shout out!

I still have so many artists and animators to learn about and follow, I'm hoping to get to know everyone better. This community has been extremely welcoming and fun to watch, I'm looking forward to getting more involved! Thanks again!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 14:26:11

Thanks Tom!! Means a lot that you like my stuff :))

Other than the ones already mentioned, here's 2 of my faves this month:

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 14:32:24

I was following all but one of those artists already. I'm almost ahead of the curve it seems.

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 14:41:51

At 5/28/20 02:26 PM, AntonM wrote: Thanks Tom!! Means a lot that you like my stuff :))

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/754346

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/stopsignal/gimme-food

High Tower Killer was so stylish, everything @natforatu makes is interesting and more people need to follow him.

I've front paged Gimme Food now, thanks for the recommendation! Following @Stopsignal now, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 14:43:04

At 5/28/20 12:33 PM, squeakytoad wrote: Echo that David Burt's stuff is awesome.

After you put out the welcome mat for art school projects, this fun thesis film showed up among the many other great submissions:
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/754933
I'm a fan of the Merry Melodies format. Hope this newcomer has more content in his future.

I was meaning to front page this earlier this month and I've finally done it now!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 15:28:44

I want to get on NG News for once....

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 15:43:26

At 5/28/20 03:28 PM, C211 wrote: I want to get on NG News for once....

I've actually had Night Drive sitting open in a browser tab as a front page candidate, I went ahead and FP'ed that now! I should try making a dedicated audio post at some point, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 17:19:42

recently discovered his stuff earlier this month and even went ahead to commision him to produce some tracks for my game! his stuff is amazing!

Working on: Etehfowr Against

click profile to learn more.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 17:37:36

At 5/28/20 12:14 PM, TomFulp wrote: The following post is a bit stream-of-conscious and in no way an exhaustive recap of this month.

A new @Jerryjackson movie (from the mind of @Doki):

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/756161

I have rewatched this like 457 times and I've forced every person I've come into contact with to watch it as well. It's truly inspirational. Life-changing.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 17:50:23

At 5/28/20 05:19 PM, TheMajormel wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/921591

recently discovered his stuff earlier this month and even went ahead to commision him to produce some tracks for my game! his stuff is amazing!

Thanks for the recommendation, following @SOUL0X now and popped From the Source on FP!

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 18:19:03

*BIG WHISTLE*

So much creator content support in one place that it's quite obvious you're on Newgrounds when there's this much love coming not only from the site's creator, but also from the community.

I love this, and I highly suggest for anyone trying to promote anything that they should take Tom's lead, and commission an artist. They have surprisingly reasonable prices and the output is always really wonderful to see~

I believe I was told Newgrounds switched their spending from Facebook ads to commissioning artists because the returns were so much greater. And what's interesting about art is that it can be created for literally any purpose and any endeavor... food for thought, people~!~!

PLAYLIST UPDATE, YESSSSSS

I cancelled all my subscriptions (including music) to save money for GB, so I mainly listen to NG artists in my spare time. This will be a big help when I'm drawing or writing because my go-to is always my NG playlist.

So thankful T.T

Also, I'm not sure what to promote?? Content wise, I've been super happy about this month from Pet Jam and being able to meet really great artists, musicians, voice actors, and animators. The amount of original art that hits the frontpage every day is consistently reminding me of how brilliantly expansive the art community really is.

I guess I'll just highlight the comics that a few NG artists have done that could use support to help them win the WEBTOONS contest:

They get awarded points from comments, likes, and follows, so please push them a little bit more towards winning, if you're looking to support them~!

Thank you for the update, Tom!! It's always hella wholesome seeing you support the great people that bring us entertainment and introspective ^^

There was an experimental artist making art games whose theme was psychological and philosophical I'd recommend. Sadly he deleted his account.

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 19:04:25

Damn, Tom, you really picked out some top notch stuff!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 19:20:58

So many creators! Good on them, they deserve all of their hard work!

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 19:44:21

At 5/28/20 02:26 PM, AntonM wrote: Thanks Tom!! Means a lot that you like my stuff :))

Oh god, glad you like my stuff!! Thanks to you i got to the frontpage, so i owe you one! By the way let me take this opportunity to say i really love your art. Never stop!

also tom follows me now what is happening

I am a stop sign! Or a weird gnome with a hat. Just imagine whatever.

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-28 20:22:00

At 5/28/20 06:58 PM, satanbrain wrote: There was an experimental artist making art games whose theme was psychological and philosophical I'd recommend. Sadly he deleted his account.

Not everyone is ready for the Grounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-29 06:22:15

Ah that's so cool being up there with the talented boys! Thank you very much!

Just learnt about the noir novel, it's really up my alley. Now I kinda wish these recommendations were a regular thing.

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-29 06:57:56

wonderful stuff

Response to Cool Artists to Check Out 2020-05-29 08:04:44

Keeping an eye on Nihaho, another candidate for the Newgrounds Animation Graduate program now that he's finished his thesis project:

He's flown under the radar with past submissions:

Enjoying his smooth animation and weird sense of humor. Hope to see him around now that he's done school. +Follow