00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

Munguia, 1976-2020

5,982 Views | 95 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 00:44:41

This is really sad. I remember his works, yeah, indeed he is tallented.

He had his personality and now he is gone.

RIP brother.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 01:39:22

Rest in peace, Munguia.

Ignore this signature.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 04:24:14

I hated the guy, but rest in peace, sweet prince

Too young to die

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 07:36:01

Very sad news, I remember seeing his work around here. It seems almost fitting that the last flash game he uploaded is an updated version of his very first flash game.

iu_109339_3806016.jpg

Here's a photo of him with one of the sculptures seen in a piece called "Monumento al zaguate (perro callejero)." According to the articles I read it's one of his most famed pieces in Costa Rica.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 08:52:39

At 4/8/20 08:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hey everyone, I have some unfortunate news to share. I just learned that Francisco Munguía Villalta, better known as @Munguia here on NG, has passed away.

Francisco joined NG in 2013 and has a celebrated history here. He showed up with his own signature art style and became prolific in the games space, with his Paintings Parody series (always a great source of medals) and more recent favorites like Straight Outta Pixels and Fun With Flags, for Pixel Day 2020.

The most rewarding part of following Francisco on NG was seeing his mural work in Costa Rica, such as the SOS Children Village Mura, Giant of the Rooftops in Cristo Rey and Children Rights mural at the PANI office for national child welfare. Be sure to take some time to read his news posts from over the years and play some of his games.

Francisco’s passing has come as a shock to the people of Costa Rica, where both the Ministry of Culture and Youth and the Municipality of San José have released statements mourning the country's loss. You can read more in this CRHoy article and find additional reporting in Nacion.

I’m gonna miss seeing Francisco here on NG. His legacy will always be a positive example for us to follow.

Oh gosh. He must've been 43-44 years old, right? Kinda old, but he's gone too soon :( May he rest in pace.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 13:36:57 (edited 2020-04-10 13:38:12)

Damn. Although i didnt know him, now seeing his art placed in streets is just incredible.

Many condolonces to him and his relatives.

RIP Munguia. You might not be here with us right now, but you will still remain immortal in our hearts, forever.

Congratulations,you just found the most random guy on the whole internet.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 14:00:08

That's Sad & Heartbreaking. So sorry, man. 😭

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 14:17:51

Damn. That's really sad news. What a great artist.

I actually have come to appreciate many painters that I didn't know about thanks to his Famous Paintings Parodies.

My favorite game of his was Fun With Flags.

I listen to a lot of different styles of music from all over the world, and I can say that Munguia definitely had his own unique style. I can always appreciate uniqueness.

He will surely be missed on this site.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 14:49:22 (edited 2020-04-10 14:51:31)

I am very saddened to hear this. He made brilliant games that were often on the quality level of works of art. A brilliant and unique mind he had. He died quite young.

I often make a mental list of top 5 game authors on Newgrounds and he was always on that list. Maybe he even deserves 1st place. I don't know of anyone who could produce so many games of constant high quality and even add such unique artistic quality.

It's sad he died so young. Does anyone know the cause?

I played some of his games just two weeks ago and left reviews. He often responded with a smile. We also exchanged a few letters. So strange to learn he is gone now.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 16:13:43

At 4/10/20 04:24 AM, fuckoffasshole wrote: I hated the guy, but rest in peace, sweet prince
Too young to die

Was it a one way thing, or did the both of you have a grudge? I am just curious.

He was always cool with me.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 16:14:32

Wow, this sucks. I feel like I only discovered their games a couple of years ago, and enjoyed seeing their murals in blog posts. I'll need to take another look through their content.

Rest in peace.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 19:04:49

Amazing works.

Hope he rest in peace.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 19:14:13

Damn, Tom... I never would've known :-[

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-10 21:25:21

This broke my heart. Rest in peace, Munguia.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 00:41:47 (edited 2020-04-11 00:46:30)

At 4/10/20 04:13 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 4/10/20 04:24 AM, fuckoffasshole wrote: I hated the guy, but rest in peace, sweet prince
Too young to die
Was it a one way thing, or did the both of you have a grudge? I am just curious.
He was always cool with me.

We hated each other guts. I criticized him, because he was an asshole to other people (and my nickname kinda obliges to fight assholes), and he was ignorant of criticism and only double downed on what I said, but still I already miss him, and feel bad for lashing out on him. But the beef was serious. It was so serious that I got a ban, and I wasn't swearing or anything, it's that it got really nasty (passive-aggressive thing, I was, and still am, very snarky). Looking in hindsight, I kinda regret it, but that's the way I am :/

Also, I don't know why, but I also posted "his talent was strong enough that he received acclaim that other artists can only wish for" was deleted. What the fuck happened, let's say that I had bad internet connection that deleted that part, because I sure look like a fucking asshole in that post (and I fight assholes, so I'll have to fight with myself)

Take care of yourselves and peace

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 02:20:48

At 4/8/20 08:57 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hey everyone, I have some unfortunate news to share. I just learned that Francisco Munguía Villalta, better known as @Munguia here on NG, has passed away.

Francisco joined NG in 2013 and has a celebrated history here. He showed up with his own signature art style and became prolific in the games space, with his Paintings Parody series (always a great source of medals) and more recent favorites like Straight Outta Pixels and Fun With Flags, for Pixel Day 2020.

The most rewarding part of following Francisco on NG was seeing his mural work in Costa Rica, such as the SOS Children Village Mura, Giant of the Rooftops in Cristo Rey and Children Rights mural at the PANI office for national child welfare. Be sure to take some time to read his news posts from over the years and play some of his games.

Francisco’s passing has come as a shock to the people of Costa Rica, where both the Ministry of Culture and Youth and the Municipality of San José have released statements mourning the country's loss. You can read more in this CRHoy article and find additional reporting in Nacion.

I’m gonna miss seeing Francisco here on NG. His legacy will always be a positive example for us to follow.

Even though i never seen here before rest in peace!!!!

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 02:44:55

Sad news. I always liked his painting parody games. He had a unique art style.

R.I.P

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 04:01:45

A wonderful member of the NG family that will be greatly missed.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 05:55:57

At 4/9/20 03:34 PM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: So what'll happen to his digital footprint since he's no longer 'alive' so to speak? Ideally, everything should be banned or otherwise erased...

What, no! Preserved I hope, as with most on the in memoriam page. So that we can continue to appreciate his work even after he's gone. What better way to remember and honor someone? The potential to leave a legacy like this is one of the few merits of the digital era IMO.

Feels like he really did what he did to make life better for people too; I hope his stuff keeps entertaining, educating and inspiring for generations to come.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #61 (Jun)

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 08:41:56

At 4/11/20 05:55 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 4/9/20 03:34 PM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: So what'll happen to his digital footprint since he's no longer 'alive' so to speak? Ideally, everything should be banned or otherwise erased...
What, no! Preserved I hope, as with most on the in memoriam page. So that we can continue to appreciate his work even after he's gone. What better way to remember and honor someone? The potential to leave a legacy like this is one of the few merits of the digital era IMO.

Feels like he really did what he did to make life better for people too; I hope his stuff keeps entertaining, educating and inspiring for generations to come.

Alrighty then.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 09:15:17

At 4/11/20 08:41 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Alrighty then.

Don't you agree though?

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 09:50:01

At 4/11/20 09:15 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Don't you agree though?

Yes, I should. And I'm sure their creations can delight us in the future. It's just that the amount of digital footprint the deceased leaves behind can be worriesome indeed... Has NG perhaps decided to make a separate section for submissions made by deceased people, without the burden of keeping their now useless account around?

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:09:40 (edited 2020-04-11 10:10:29)

At 4/11/20 09:50 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote:
Don't you agree though?
Yes, I should. And I'm sure their creations can delight us in the future. It's just that the amount of digital footprint the deceased leaves behind can be worriesome indeed... Has NG perhaps decided to make a separate section for submissions made by deceased people, without the burden of keeping their now useless account around?

The account itself, I reckon, would not be useless in that any newsposts and other things would need preserving. I mean, no one would dare touch Edd Gould's NG userpage except for the ones who have the rights to it, and even they treated it with care.

So I would argue, legacy pages: sure. Archive the user accounts: sure. Don't delete them. The only time they should be deleted is if the deceased requested it while still alive or put it in the will.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:12:07 (edited 2020-04-11 10:15:44)

At 4/11/20 09:50 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Yes, I should. And I'm sure their creations can delight us in the future. It's just that the amount of digital footprint the deceased leaves behind can be worriesome indeed... Has NG perhaps decided to make a separate section for submissions made by deceased people, without the burden of keeping their now useless account around?

Ah, you're thinking storage issues? So far it doesn't seem like it'd be a problem, but you're right, it might be in the future. Then again we have organizations like the Internet Archive striving to archive virtually everything, so maybe it's not as impossible as it seems. Maybe the cost/benefit ratio increases overtime, with decreasing storage costs, and how submission sizes are also always smaller in the past than the present, as technology/storage continually improves. As long as the development continues it seems doable to archive all, but in the future, who knows... I hope there's a way. If people still flock to see older content it seems possible to still make a profit somehow, whether it's via ads or optional support. And if people don't: less bandwidth costs.

There's an in memorial page here, listing/linking accounts of those who've passed, I believe the accounts are usually locked but still remain, unless family wishes otherwise: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/history/in-memoriam

I wouldn't say keeping the accounts would be a burden though, or that they're useless, they're a part of their history too. All they wrote and shared. The submissions themselves take considerably more storage, but hopefully there's no shortage yet; no need to compromise.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:14:40

Don't you agree though?

I don't think deceased users need to have their content moved from where it is. A number of deceased users have family who return regularly to view their work and want their user pages to remain intact. We started logging date-of-death a few years ago after a parent asked if her son's age could remain the same, so in those cases the age on the account will no longer increment each year.

We've considered a "death wishes" setting under profiles, though, so users could specify whether they would want their account deleted or left alone upon their death.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:18:28

At 4/11/20 10:09 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 4/11/20 09:50 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Yes, I should. And I'm sure their creations can delight us in the future. It's just that the amount of digital footprint the deceased leaves behind can be worriesome indeed... Has NG perhaps decided to make a separate section for submissions made by deceased people, without the burden of keeping their now useless account around?
The account itself, I reckon, would not be useless in that any newsposts and other things would need preserving. I mean, no one would dare touch Edd Gould's NG userpage except for the ones who have the rights to it, and even they treated it with care.

So I would argue, legacy pages: sure. Archive the user accounts: sure. Don't delete them. The only time they should be deleted is if the deceased requested it while still alive or put it in the will.

Totally agree. With some room for exception if the surviving family has other wishes/reasons for something to be removed. It'd be a shame though, hopefully most appreciate the mark they've left...

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:39:29

At 4/11/20 10:14 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Don't you agree though?
I don't think deceased users need to have their content moved from where it is. A number of deceased users have family who return regularly to view their work and want their user pages to remain intact. We started logging date-of-death a few years ago after a parent asked if her son's age could remain the same, so in those cases the age on the account will no longer increment each year.

We've considered a "death wishes" setting under profiles, though, so users could specify whether they would want their account deleted or left alone upon their death.

True that. At least when and if I die, I will try to formally contact each site I might have created accounts in (same name btw) to request complete account removal if possible. And as mentioned, deviantART has made removing accounts extremely simple so that'll be the first one to go naturally.

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 10:50:58 (edited 2020-04-11 10:51:13)

At 4/11/20 10:39 AM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: True that. At least when and if I die, I will try to formally contact each site I might have created accounts in (same name btw) to request complete account removal if possible. And as mentioned, deviantART has made removing accounts extremely simple so that'll be the first one to go naturally.

You wouldn't want to be remembered? :/ I don't think you need to feel like your account would be a burden, if that's it, text in particular takes up very little space.

Part of me feels like it's good these options exists, but another part feels like it's all too easy to delete everything at a whim; even though you might later regret it. Google's had the option a long time too, if you don't login within a certain amount of time to either delete everything or give another user access to your account. Makes more sense to me when it's private content though.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 11:57:58

I loved @Munguia's works. He was a cool and artistic man who created art for the NG community and for others worldwide. May he rest in peace.

BBS Signature

Response to Munguia, 1976-2020 2020-04-11 12:55:54

Dude, what? Why would you do that unless specifically told to do so by him or his family?

Would you have destroyed all of Da Vinci's art just because he died, for example? Burn all the books that belong to long gone authors?