00:00
00:00

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The recent Stimulus Package.

437 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-01 08:17:20


Do you think that the stimulus package would backfire for the lower classes? The speeches opposing it really amounts to nothing as the progressives voted for the thing.

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-01 11:38:11


At 4/1/20 08:17 AM, Fulwiht wrote: Do you think that the stimulus package would backfire for the lower classes? The speeches opposing it really amounts to nothing as the progressives voted for the thing.


Sorry, you really need to be more specific when you say "backfire".


Are you insinuating that a portion of the lower class will use for purposes other than living? Probably.


However, given this pandemic, lack of resources, increase restrictions. I don't see this as a bad thing. People aren't traveling so the likely hood the majority will blow it on something is pretty low.


NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-01 21:53:10


It’s going to blow $1,200 when the vast majority of non-essential stores are closed, unless you plan on blowing money on essentials, which is pretty hard to do, unless you’re trying to get sanitizer and toilet paper.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-01 22:38:56


There is a lot to discuss about the recent economic stimulus package, but I'm not sure what your are getting at.


If it's about the giveaway gimmick that will mostly benefit the lower to upper middle class.... I was sort of disappointed in Democrats going along with it, after the Trump admin presented it. There really was no point in it, other than trying to bribe/convince the public that this economic package would benefit most of them - ignoring that much of it benefits corporations and WallStreet. Republicans, who begrudgingly supported that portion of it, out of loyalty to the Trump admin, are going to use the deficit it creates to attack safety nets, and other domestic programs, down the road like they have for the past 30 years - to give what they save to WallStreet and defense/security spending.

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-02 11:02:09


it is smart thinking to raise the yang bucks from 1000 to 1200, because by the time it is doled out, 1200 will be worth 1000.


why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 02:03:19


So, $1200. That's pretty pitiful, seeing as how it's basically four weeks' pay at minimum wage. Minimum wage has not risen with inflation (or at all in the past DECADE, but that's a discussion for another thread) and a lot of people have been out of work for 2 weeks, going on 3, with no end in sight at this point. Rent is usually due at the beginning of the month, so it's already not in time to help people who are paycheck to paycheck. After the gigantic numbers the government pulled out of their ass to help Wall Street, they could help out the fucking people of the nation a little bit more, and be a bit more timely about it.


Dora's Bike | Descent Club | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature

At 4/3/20 02:03 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: So, $1200. That's pretty pitiful, seeing as how it's basically four weeks' pay at minimum wage. Minimum wage has not risen with inflation (or at all in the past DECADE, but that's a discussion for another thread) and a lot of people have been out of work for 2 weeks, going on 3, with no end in sight at this point. Rent is usually due at the beginning of the month, so it's already not in time to help people who are paycheck to paycheck. After the gigantic numbers the government pulled out of their ass to help Wall Street, they could help out the fucking people of the nation a little bit more, and be a bit more timely about it.


Yes, but unemployment benefits have also been increased, and government business loans from federal, and local states governments, are being offered at very low interest rates, while a lot of student loans will be put on hold and interest waved for a few months. For further details you can look here.


Not saying I'm entirely happy about the bill, which I think is a voter buyoff and benefits corporations and WallStreet a lot. Personally, I would have liked to see money for infrastructure and healthcare, stuff that generate jobs and protects people's health.

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 10:40:29


At 4/3/20 02:03 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: So, $1200. That's pretty pitiful


I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.


why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 13:31:10


At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 02:03 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: So, $1200. That's pretty pitiful
I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.


iu_107011_2278460.jpg

It sure is pretty.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 16:39:05


At 4/3/20 01:31 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote: I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.
It sure is pretty.


Okay, the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is about 1.08USD, so this is pretty easy to imagine:


You receive 1,200 for doing absolutely nothing.


You would never say "That's not enough" or "That's too low."


Just take it you little ingrates.


why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 17:50:20


So many additions were added to the stimulus I do not know what to think about it. It's like when a bill gets passed with 1,001 "other things" getting "slipped in" with it. It's easy to say "Free money nice" but at what cost in the long run? Lotsa these things are worded eloquently or virtue-signal whilst simultaneously giving us the full fisting treatment without lube. I actually do not like being so pessimistic but capital-hill puts me in that mood. Apologies if I come off as a Debbie-downer!

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 20:10:46


At 4/3/20 05:50 PM, nightsavior wrote: So many additions were added to the stimulus I do not know what to think about it. It's like when a bill gets passed with 1,001 "other things" getting "slipped in" with it. It's easy to say "Free money nice" but at what cost in the long run? Lotsa these things are worded eloquently or virtue-signal whilst simultaneously giving us the full fisting treatment without lube. I actually do not like being so pessimistic but capital-hill puts me in that mood. Apologies if I come off as a Debbie-downer!


Yeah, I think they should have taken it more slowly, and only in bite size portions as needed, not in one huge 2 trillion chunk that covers a whole bunch of stuff that may not be needed. The sad thing is that they are already talking about another 2 trillion economic stimulouse package.

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 20:27:08


At 4/3/20 08:10 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 4/3/20 05:50 PM, nightsavior wrote: So many additions were added to the stimulus I do not know what to think about it. It's like when a bill gets passed with 1,001 "other things" getting "slipped in" with it. It's easy to say "Free money nice" but at what cost in the long run? Lotsa these things are worded eloquently or virtue-signal whilst simultaneously giving us the full fisting treatment without lube. I actually do not like being so pessimistic but capital-hill puts me in that mood. Apologies if I come off as a Debbie-downer!
Yeah, I think they should have taken it more slowly, and only in bite size portions as needed, not in one huge 2 trillion chunk that covers a whole bunch of stuff that may not be needed. The sad thing is that they are already talking about another 2 trillion economic stimulouse package.


Oh boy......brace yourselves!

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 20:41:52


At 4/3/20 05:50 PM, nightsavior wrote: So many additions were added to the stimulus I do not know what to think about it. It's like when a bill gets passed with 1,001 "other things" getting "slipped in" with it. It's easy to say "Free money nice" but at what cost in the long run? Lotsa these things are worded eloquently or virtue-signal whilst simultaneously giving us the full fisting treatment without lube. I actually do not like being so pessimistic but capital-hill puts me in that mood. Apologies if I come off as a Debbie-downer!


Ah, I missed the second half of your post, I apologize.


I'll give a more....complete reply in a few hours, a bit busy here atm


why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 22:03:36


At 4/3/20 08:41 PM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 05:50 PM, nightsavior wrote: So many additions were added to the stimulus I do not know what to think about it. It's like when a bill gets passed with 1,001 "other things" getting "slipped in" with it. It's easy to say "Free money nice" but at what cost in the long run? Lotsa these things are worded eloquently or virtue-signal whilst simultaneously giving us the full fisting treatment without lube. I actually do not like being so pessimistic but capital-hill puts me in that mood. Apologies if I come off as a Debbie-downer!
Ah, I missed the second half of your post, I apologize.

I'll give a more....complete reply in a few hours, a bit busy here atm


No prob. And it's not I'm "ungrateful" or anything. It's just the paper that was added had a lot of confusing regulations and conditions added to the stimulus before it was put out. I get they were working against the clock but this wouldn't be the first time we seemingly got something good whereas "big businesses" were simultaneously getting bail-out money. Granted in this case it's probably not quite as insidous due to the shut-down and love or hate the mega corps, many of them keep our economy going. Question is are they just gonna pocket all that money without re-hiring everyone who was laid off then "restart" as whole new business ventures? All this has yet to be seen. I'm also kind of afraid because this is an authoritarian's "wet dream". Governers who love red flag and confiscation laws are eating this up because they get "more power" when everything goes to shit. This certainly is not a good time to get "swatted".

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-03 22:55:46


At 4/3/20 10:03 PM, nightsavior wrote: No prob. And it's not I'm "ungrateful" or anything. It's just the paper that was added had a lot of confusing regulations and conditions added to the stimulus before it was put out. I get they were working against the clock but this wouldn't be the first time we seemingly got something good whereas "big businesses" were simultaneously getting bail-out money. Granted in this case it's probably not quite as insidous due to the shut-down and love or hate the mega corps, many of them keep our economy going. Question is are they just gonna pocket all that money without re-hiring everyone who was laid off then "restart" as whole new business ventures? All this has yet to be seen. I'm also kind of afraid because this is an authoritarian's "wet dream". Governers who love red flag and confiscation laws are eating this up because they get "more power" when everything goes to shit. This certainly is not a good time to get "swatted".


Also, one lump sum probably made it easier to pass in a very divided congress, where everyone got something they wanted.


This article might interest you: Airline salaries compared to stock buybacks show why so many people are angry at the bailout.


To sum it up: People, and many politicians, were angry at the airlines for misusing their profits in the last decade to buyback their stock, increasing those stock prices, which benefited shareholders, and not having emergency fund to fall back on. It's a double whammy, where now, the consumer, who was paying more for less, now has to bail them out with more money - while those same airlines threaten to cut jobs and salaries of it's workforce.


According to the same article, this was a sticking point in approving a 60 billion bailout for them, where some language put in place to keep them from misusing it on stock buybacks and upper management pay increase. Not sure if this apllies to other industries, or comapnies....


At 4/3/20 10:55 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:03 PM, nightsavior wrote: No prob. And it's not I'm "ungrateful" or anything. It's just the paper that was added had a lot of confusing regulations and conditions added to the stimulus before it was put out. I get they were working against the clock but this wouldn't be the first time we seemingly got something good whereas "big businesses" were simultaneously getting bail-out money. Granted in this case it's probably not quite as insidous due to the shut-down and love or hate the mega corps, many of them keep our economy going. Question is are they just gonna pocket all that money without re-hiring everyone who was laid off then "restart" as whole new business ventures? All this has yet to be seen. I'm also kind of afraid because this is an authoritarian's "wet dream". Governers who love red flag and confiscation laws are eating this up because they get "more power" when everything goes to shit. This certainly is not a good time to get "swatted".
Also, one lump sum probably made it easier to pass in a very divided congress, where everyone got something they wanted.

This article might interest you: Airline salaries compared to stock buybacks show why so many people are angry at the bailout.

To sum it up: People, and many politicians, were angry at the airlines for misusing their profits in the last decade to buyback their stock, increasing those stock prices, which benefited shareholders, and not having emergency fund to fall back on. It's a double whammy, where now, the consumer, who was paying more for less, now has to bail them out with more money - while those same airlines threaten to cut jobs and salaries of it's workforce.

According to the same article, this was a sticking point in approving a 60 billion bailout for them, where some language put in place to keep them from misusing it on stock buybacks and upper management pay increase. Not sure if this apllies to other industries, or comapnies....


Maybe I'll learn how to be a cut throat stock-market mogul from delving into this! I'll have to ditch what remains of my soul for a freshly pressed suit though!

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-04 06:57:34


At 4/3/20 04:39 PM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 01:31 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote: I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.
It sure is pretty.
Okay, the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is about 1.08USD, so this is pretty easy to imagine:

You receive 1,200 for doing absolutely nothing.

You would never say "That's not enough" or "That's too low."

Just take it you little ingrates.


The thing is, these people (I'm not complaining about my own situation here, I still have my salary) would earn their keep if they were allowed to, so you're the ingrate for not acknowledging they deserve recompense.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-04 14:36:30


At 4/4/20 12:11 AM, nightsavior wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:55 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:03 PM, nightsavior wrote: No prob. And it's not I'm "ungrateful" or anything. It's just the paper that was added had a lot of confusing regulations and conditions added to the stimulus before it was put out. I get they were working against the clock but this wouldn't be the first time we seemingly got something good whereas "big businesses" were simultaneously getting bail-out money. Granted in this case it's probably not quite as insidous due to the shut-down and love or hate the mega corps, many of them keep our economy going. Question is are they just gonna pocket all that money without re-hiring everyone who was laid off then "restart" as whole new business ventures? All this has yet to be seen. I'm also kind of afraid because this is an authoritarian's "wet dream". Governers who love red flag and confiscation laws are eating this up because they get "more power" when everything goes to shit. This certainly is not a good time to get "swatted".
Also, one lump sum probably made it easier to pass in a very divided congress, where everyone got something they wanted.

This article might interest you: Airline salaries compared to stock buybacks show why so many people are angry at the bailout.

To sum it up: People, and many politicians, were angry at the airlines for misusing their profits in the last decade to buyback their stock, increasing those stock prices, which benefited shareholders, and not having emergency fund to fall back on. It's a double whammy, where now, the consumer, who was paying more for less, now has to bail them out with more money - while those same airlines threaten to cut jobs and salaries of it's workforce.

According to the same article, this was a sticking point in approving a 60 billion bailout for them, where some language put in place to keep them from misusing it on stock buybacks and upper management pay increase. Not sure if this apllies to other industries, or comapnies....
Maybe I'll learn how to be a cut throat stock-market mogul from delving into this! I'll have to ditch what remains of my soul for a freshly pressed suit though!


Good luck with that. You might also want to find a soulless politician to work with, who will act on insider information you give him to enrich himself or save his ass when things come crashing down...


At 4/4/20 02:36 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 4/4/20 12:11 AM, nightsavior wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:55 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:03 PM, nightsavior wrote: No prob. And it's not I'm "ungrateful" or anything. It's just the paper that was added had a lot of confusing regulations and conditions added to the stimulus before it was put out. I get they were working against the clock but this wouldn't be the first time we seemingly got something good whereas "big businesses" were simultaneously getting bail-out money. Granted in this case it's probably not quite as insidous due to the shut-down and love or hate the mega corps, many of them keep our economy going. Question is are they just gonna pocket all that money without re-hiring everyone who was laid off then "restart" as whole new business ventures? All this has yet to be seen. I'm also kind of afraid because this is an authoritarian's "wet dream". Governers who love red flag and confiscation laws are eating this up because they get "more power" when everything goes to shit. This certainly is not a good time to get "swatted".
Also, one lump sum probably made it easier to pass in a very divided congress, where everyone got something they wanted.

This article might interest you: Airline salaries compared to stock buybacks show why so many people are angry at the bailout.

To sum it up: People, and many politicians, were angry at the airlines for misusing their profits in the last decade to buyback their stock, increasing those stock prices, which benefited shareholders, and not having emergency fund to fall back on. It's a double whammy, where now, the consumer, who was paying more for less, now has to bail them out with more money - while those same airlines threaten to cut jobs and salaries of it's workforce.

According to the same article, this was a sticking point in approving a 60 billion bailout for them, where some language put in place to keep them from misusing it on stock buybacks and upper management pay increase. Not sure if this apllies to other industries, or comapnies....
Maybe I'll learn how to be a cut throat stock-market mogul from delving into this! I'll have to ditch what remains of my soul for a freshly pressed suit though!
Good luck with that. You might also want to find a soulless politician to work with, who will act on insider information you give him to enrich himself or save his ass when things come crashing down...


I'm sure some people like crunching numbers and investing stock in things but I'm not that fella,Edy! Perhaps I wish a knew just a "little more" about economics simply to make my dollar go further but pursuing that as a full time career? Nope....


Besides, in High School mathematics were my Kryptonite. For the longest time I even had issues with moderate algebra!

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-04 17:00:42


At 4/4/20 06:57 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 04:39 PM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 01:31 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote: I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.
It sure is pretty.
Okay, the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is about 1.08USD, so this is pretty easy to imagine:

You receive 1,200 for doing absolutely nothing.

You would never say "That's not enough" or "That's too low."

Just take it you little ingrates.
The thing is, these people (I'm not complaining about my own situation here, I still have my salary) would earn their keep if they were allowed to, so you're the ingrate for not acknowledging they deserve recompense.


Agreed. There's a difference between people asking for money when they have not worked for it and people "needing money" when they were forced into unemployment. One of these situations is not like the other!

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-05 00:09:23


I agree all of the extra things tacked on is really bad, i think its good a stimulus has at least passed somehow, hopefully this will empower the lower class and also show that basic income can increase the value of the economy, that trickle up is the best economic structure etc. hopefully


https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-30 15:55:21


I still haven't received mine since I got my tax return check by mail last year.


BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-04-30 18:56:16


its just not fair!

iu_116672_1670765.gif

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-05-19 12:33:00


At 4/30/20 03:55 PM, Aliensandwich wrote: I still haven't received mine since I got my tax return check by mail last year.

;;;

With the entire entertainment workers locked out by Government decree & while they are talking about reopening film shooting ,with all the social distancing B.S. ...which can not work as we operate in a way where people have no choice but to have close contact. So it'll be a new reality, that won't work well & we'll slide back into the normal way of working , for the most part ...when no ones looking.


Until then there's 2 grand being sent to us every 4 weeks. Its keeping the bills paid and the wine glass full, but its doing SFA for pensions, health benefits, not to mention I usually make 3 times that or more every 4 weeks .


I can see others in countries, who have had their Leaders bail out the billionaires & the Stock Market with your tax money are now telling you to go back to work ...

I Believe How The Top Capitalists & Your Head Government Legislatures put it

" TIME TO GET THE MASSES BACK TO WORK ! ! !"

" SOME OF YOU MAY DIE >>>BUT THAT'S A PRICE WE ARE WILLING TO PAY !"


Quite sad actually , choice starve or die from a virus ! All while those you bail out stay safe quarantined and constantly tested while you suffer.


Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-05-19 20:32:41


At 4/3/20 04:39 PM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 01:31 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote: I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.
It sure is pretty.
Okay, the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is about 1.08USD, so this is pretty easy to imagine:

You receive 1,200 for doing absolutely nothing.

You would never say "That's not enough" or "That's too low."

Just take it you little ingrates.


Ehhhh. Look at the overall though. You work a 9 to 5, and have two kids. Though you are making it, the government kicks you out of your job and gives you less than what you would've made at work and made it harder to live. The government isn't "giving you something for nothing" at that point. It's giving you partial compensation for losing you your livelihood. Looked at from that perspective, is it truly ungrateful for the recipient to be like "so where's the rest of what you cost me"?


It is a shame that the government breaks the law more than the criminals it punishes.

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-05-19 21:02:28


At 5/19/20 08:32 PM, WolvenBear wrote:
At 4/3/20 04:39 PM, 8754d384527 wrote:
At 4/3/20 01:31 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 4/3/20 10:40 AM, 8754d384527 wrote: I have a feeling any amount would be too little for you.
It sure is pretty.
Okay, the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is about 1.08USD, so this is pretty easy to imagine:

You receive 1,200 for doing absolutely nothing.

You would never say "That's not enough" or "That's too low."

Just take it you little ingrates.
Ehhhh. Look at the overall though. You work a 9 to 5, and have two kids. Though you are making it, the government kicks you out of your job and gives you less than what you would've made at work and made it harder to live. The government isn't "giving you something for nothing" at that point. It's giving you partial compensation for losing you your livelihood. Looked at from that perspective, is it truly ungrateful for the recipient to be like "so where's the rest of what you cost me"?


I’ve had a lot of time to think about it, got nothing but time these days, and you are right. Sorry for calling you an ingrate, Damned


why do I need a signature or pfp? Just look at my words instead

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-08-01 11:00:10


I’ve been hunting this thread/post for a while, and I can see there’s talks about a second one.


Did that Cares Act package from April amount to $1200 worth of assistance over 4-months?


BBS Signature

Response to The recent Stimulus Package. 2020-08-01 13:46:59


At 8/1/20 11:00 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I’ve been hunting this thread/post for a while, and I can see there’s talks about a second one.

Did that Cares Act package from April amount to $1200 worth of assistance over 4-months?


It's hard to know. There are a lot factors involved, and whether people are employed or not. I know I can't recall any study on the effects of the stimulus, other than stories on how some are spending most of it at one time. But I know many Republicans are split on the 2nd one, especially over unemployment benefits.