00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 62 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Relax While Drawing

271 Views | 24 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 00:34:39

How do I just relax while drawing? Lately I've been kinda' frustrated while doodling and I feel like I forgot how to let loose, y'know?

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 01:08:45

I tend to listen to some music while drawing, especially jazz.

It's also good for me to take a break and have a nap to sleep some of the stress away.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 01:18:29

At 3/25/20 01:08 AM, PilotSpikey wrote: I tend to listen to some music while drawing, especially jazz.

It's also good for me to take a break and have a nap to sleep some of the stress away.

I can't really concentrate with music on, but maybe I do need to take some proper brakes and think things over before I go further on a drawing...

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 19:08:24

Have you tried taking up drinking?

I am the writer of the second greatest South Park fanfiction on this entire planet AND THEREFORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

Also I make cartoons, they're pretty cool too.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 21:00:18

At 3/25/20 07:08 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: Have you tried taking up drinking?

I'm too young to drink! And even if I could I bet I would be some kind of loud mopey drunk.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 21:09:55

At 3/25/20 09:00 PM, Nabella wrote:
I'm too young to drink!

This sentiment does not compute with me, I started at fourteen.

And even if I could I bet I would be some kind of loud mopey drunk.

Eh, maybe. If ya know anyone that sells weed then maybe talk to him, that'll chill ya right the fuck out, it's better for ya than booze too.

Or you could just sort out your mind through deep thought, fresh air, and a laid back attitude. That's what I do.

I am the writer of the second greatest South Park fanfiction on this entire planet AND THEREFORE THE UNIVERSE!!!

Also I make cartoons, they're pretty cool too.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-25 23:15:53

At 3/25/20 09:09 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote:
This sentiment does not compute with me, I started at fourteen.

Your poor kidneys...

Eh, maybe. If ya know anyone that sells weed then maybe talk to him, that'll chill ya right the fuck out, it's better for ya than booze too.

Where am I gonna' find a dealer during quarantine? My city's on lockdown and I live on it's rural outskirts.

Plus, drugs are bad!!!!

Or you could just sort out your mind through deep thought, fresh air, and a laid back attitude. That's what I do.

Okay, I'll go huff some air by a tree and maybe get some sort of buzz going.

...but, yeah, I'll take a morning walk to sort some stuff out. It's pretty easy to find vast plains to lose yourself in.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-26 17:50:36

If you're stressing out when you draw that would be a good time to take a break, have some tea, lay down, meditate, listen to calming music, whatever you do to relax.

Once you've found your zen and feel refreshed enough to return to drawing, go for it. This also helps to see any mistakes you've made that otherwise would've gone unnoticed because you've been staring at the same thing for so long.

Another way to relax when drawing is to check your expectations, stop trying to make something amazing right from the beginning. First make a very rough sketch of what you want to make, intentionally put little effort into it, and if you find yourself stressing out, you're trying too hard. Dial it back. Start again.

Once you've got a somewhat strong vision of what you're making, start refining it little by little (e.g. the head's a little big, the eyes are slightly too far apart, maybe I should tweak the expression a bit, etc.).

After you've refined and tweaked to your heart's content, only THEN can you work on making your drawing look amazing. This is where stressing is a good sign, because it means you want to succeed! And, if you can, turn that stress and frustration into energy to push forward with your creative endeavor.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-26 21:21:54

Yeah like the other person said, you just gotta be calm. I personally used to have a hard time with relaxing, but for me it was because I made up pressure for myself even for doodles that were supposed to be for fun. Maybe the same thing is happening to you? Just gotta learn to let go in that case and just have fun with it, the trick is to keep a balance between improving and having fun.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-27 00:01:43 (edited 2020-03-27 00:06:36)

At 3/26/20 05:50 PM, MrShmoods wrote: And, if you can, turn that stress and frustration into energy to push forward with your creative endeavor.

Yes. This is some great advice. There is a big difference between utilizing energy in a positive or negative matter. I pushed myself to enter an art contest here on NG despite doubting my own work. I also joined Inktober for the first time last year without much skill in inking. And while there was definitely stress along the way, I still gained a lot of experience (especially from doing 31 ink drawings in a roll.) While I may not like all of the final results, it's the experience of learning from actually doing something is what's rewarding in the end. Not only that, but it was also just nice being part of the community and doing something together. Everyone has to start somewhere. The more you attempt something, the better you'll be. I've been trying to keep all of this in mind whenever I feel down about my progress. It's always good to keep your expectations in check and focus on having fun while working out your weaknesses.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-27 00:25:00

At 3/25/20 12:34 AM, Nabella wrote: How do I just relax while drawing? Lately I've been kinda' frustrated while doodling and I feel like I forgot how to let loose, y'know?

what I tend to do is make a jack and coke or rum and coke put on a show I can listen to and don’t need to watch. I also try to warm up with characters or themes I like to draw. I think the best advice is try to draw for yourself and don’t be to hard on yourself if the drawing isn’t coming out just right

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-27 19:24:27

One thing I've taken away from all these replies is that I need to quit hesitating and apply some more structure in my life. Thanks for the advice.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-27 20:55:15 (edited 2020-03-27 20:58:33)

The only way to relax while drawing is to address whatever factor is putting you in a state of unrest in the first place. You have to be relaxed in your everyday mind.

Whether it be needing a walk to clear your head or needing to make a lifestyle change or address someone about something on your mind.

Even then, try doing some warm ups if you find yourself hitting a rut . Or switch up the media and try a whole different approach to drawing. After enough of that, you might get back into your usual lineworking rhythm again

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-28 00:08:51

Draw something fun. Put on some comedic podcast/let's plays in the background or music and draw something that you really like with the mindset of doing something quick, simple and fun. Psychology is a big factor.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-28 08:46:36

What I try to do is push myself just the right amount. Pick something you want to improve on during that drawing, but otherwise have fun creating.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-28 10:57:45

cheer up is a japanese workplaceiu_104933_5429960.jpgiu_104934_5429960.png

i am 1# newgrounds first celebrity,call me ninja kitty,i am a guardian christian of canada

BBS Signature

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-28 14:20:48

Try and care less about what you're drawing. Challenge yourself to draw something 10 times. If you make a mistake, who cares? You're going to draw 9 more of them anyway. Or try scribbling over your mistakes instead of erasing them. One of my best friends does this, and it gives her artwork a very heavily shaded style with lots of visual noise.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-28 17:36:06

At 3/28/20 02:20 PM, Kwing wrote: Try and care less about what you're drawing. Challenge yourself to draw something 10 times. If you make a mistake, who cares? You're going to draw 9 more of them anyway. Or try scribbling over your mistakes instead of erasing them. One of my best friends does this, and it gives her artwork a very heavily shaded style with lots of visual noise.

At 3/27/20 08:55 PM, AcidX wrote: The only way to relax while drawing is to address whatever factor is putting you in a state of unrest in the first place. You have to be relaxed in your everyday mind.
Whether it be needing a walk to clear your head or needing to make a lifestyle change or address someone about something on your mind.

Even then, try doing some warm ups if you find yourself hitting a rut . Or switch up the media and try a whole different approach to drawing. After enough of that, you might get back into your usual lineworking rhythm again

At 3/26/20 05:50 PM, MrShmoods wrote: If you're stressing out when you draw that would be a good time to take a break, have some tea, lay down, meditate, listen to calming music, whatever you do to relax.

Once you've found your zen and feel refreshed enough to return to drawing, go for it. This also helps to see any mistakes you've made that otherwise would've gone unnoticed because you've been staring at the same thing for so long.

Another way to relax when drawing is to check your expectations, stop trying to make something amazing right from the beginning. First make a very rough sketch of what you want to make, intentionally put little effort into it, and if you find yourself stressing out, you're trying too hard. Dial it back. Start again.

Once you've got a somewhat strong vision of what you're making, start refining it little by little (e.g. the head's a little big, the eyes are slightly too far apart, maybe I should tweak the expression a bit, etc.).

After you've refined and tweaked to your heart's content, only THEN can you work on making your drawing look amazing. This is where stressing is a good sign, because it means you want to succeed! And, if you can, turn that stress and frustration into energy to push forward with your creative endeavor.

Honestly I came in here trying to find whatever tips I could find to get myself more productive and these posts are probably the best ones that I got out of all of this.

OP, these are the tips that you should be following. Also if you can maybe find someone that could get you some good weed.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-29 02:33:36

cigarettes are better. i miss them......dont start. drinking is shit too.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-29 08:14:58

I'm listen to heavy metal.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-31 09:16:42 (edited 2020-03-31 09:17:51)

I actually start with having music or podcasts on to hype me up or get into the zone to do thumbnails and sketches down but once I get that down I tend to close those and continue the piece in a quite environment to let me think of what I could add to the piece without distractions, and take a break grab coffee or tea whenever I feel tired or exhausted it gives you a fresh look on the piece your working on that way too.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-31 16:04:50

Take a break from drawing for a while. Don't force yourself to draw if you're not feeling up for it. It may feel weird to be an artist and not make art for a while but sometimes you need time for your brain to creatively recharge. There have been days where I've not felt the urge or inspiration to draw and then one day I'll bust out a sketch and start on 2 or 3 new drawings.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-31 18:02:25

At 3/31/20 04:04 PM, SupremeBombardier wrote: Take a break from drawing for a while. Don't force yourself to draw if you're not feeling up for it. It may feel weird to be an artist and not make art for a while but sometimes you need time for your brain to creatively recharge. There have been days where I've not felt the urge or inspiration to draw and then one day I'll bust out a sketch and start on 2 or 3 new drawings.

Would deliberate practice still be okay? I wouldn't be really flexing creativity, just the skills involved, like holding a pencil.

[1] - [2] - [3]

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-03-31 18:43:56

At 3/31/20 06:02 PM, Nabella wrote:
At 3/31/20 04:04 PM, SupremeBombardier wrote: Take a break from drawing for a while. Don't force yourself to draw if you're not feeling up for it. It may feel weird to be an artist and not make art for a while but sometimes you need time for your brain to creatively recharge. There have been days where I've not felt the urge or inspiration to draw and then one day I'll bust out a sketch and start on 2 or 3 new drawings.
Would deliberate practice still be okay? I wouldn't be really flexing creativity, just the skills involved, like holding a pencil.

Sure, I wouldn't see any harm in that. I'm just saying that creative ruts are natural, and it's ok to not make anything for a few days.

Response to Relax While Drawing 2020-04-01 12:14:27

I've been finding doing random prompts is super helpful, I kinda end up drawing something I don't super care about just to shake off the cobwebs and that initial lack of investment happens and just gets things flowing. I use artpromts.org but there's tons out there. If possible I find even having someone to draw with can be nice whether its a friend online o not, or streams or videos.

Hope this helps? There's a lot of good suggestions up above (or below I dunno lol)