00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 62 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Events and Happenings on NG

2,260 Views | 37 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Hope everyone is finding a way to stay happy and healthy as we continue this whole coronavirus lockdown! Today is Day 11 for me, having started on Friday the 13th when they closed the schools in our township. A lot more has shut down since and we’ll likely be home schooling the kids for the rest of the year but everything is going well enough so far. I’m really grateful to everyone who continues to go out and provide food and healthcare during these times, especially the people delivering things to everyone's homes. 

Have you been managing to get the things you need? There are various grocery and meal delivery services so let me know if you think a post about that would be helpful.

In Newgrounds land, @PsychoGoldfish updated the private messaging system last week and it is now mobile friendly! We also deployed some back-end hardware and software updates that should keep things running smoothly, although the Internet itself is having trouble this week due to so many people streaming content at home. How has NG been running on your end?

Art Contest

@IvanAlmighty announced a Shelter In Place Art Jam with $50 prizes each for our three favorites. The theme is to draw yourself sheltered in place, doing whatever you do to pass the time, in an isometric cube format.

Been loving the entries so far!

HaxeFlixel Game Jam Upcoming

@squidly suggested we host a HaxeFlixel game jam and is making a tutorial, after which we’ll announce the theme and start the jam. @squidly and @LarsiusPrime have each offered to chip in $250 towards prize money to help promote HaxeFlixel, so we’ll be kicking off the jam with at least $500 in prizes!

Art Commissions

If you’re open for commissions, be sure to make a posting here on NG! For anyone with money to spare, now would be a great time to commission some artists. I’ve been reaching out to some artists to commission art promoting some of the games on NG, so we can feature cool art that raises awareness for the games here. 

If you’re looking for general inspiration for things to draw, consider making fan art for the original games and animation here on NG! We love seeing it and it brings new fans to other independent artists and developers. If you make just one thing you could also save it for Pico Day and be eligible for a prize.

Art Inspired Music Contest

The Art Inspired Music Contest submissions period will be from Friday, April 17, up until Monday, June 22. The theme of this contest is to make a song inspired by a piece of art here on Newgrounds. Reminder: If you want to link to NG content in the forums, blogs, author commentary or private messages, paste the URL for the entry on it’s own line and it will become a rich content link with thumbnail when the post is published. This is useful for things like the Art Inspired Music Contest but also if you’ve made fan art of a game or movie on NG, or want to promote a song alongside your art. 

Speaking of which, check out this stunning Nightmare Cops pixel art @Miroko just uploaded!

I’ve been listening to the Latest Audio while writing this and everyone is on a roll today. Wherever you see a list of audio, click the thumbnail art to play a song in-page and it will work its way down the list.

What are YOU up to today? Working from home? School from home? Playing Animal Crossing all day? Let us know! It's interesting to peak into peoples' lives during times like this.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Well everything is okay on my end. I am able to browse through NG, only two people in my family home use the internet. In my area, there are people who are out there, grocery shopping, are keeping social distancing between each other, the traffic is low in the buidlings also some people are shopping food online (delivery services are not avaible yet, like the resturants have already). Man I miss the days pre-Covid-19.

Also I'm happy with the updates.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 11:40:22

I overall have been able to manage. Can't say I blame you for wanting to homeschool your children with the coronavirus pandemic that doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down. Props to PsychoGoldfish for his updates. As for my internet connection, there so far don't seem to have been any problems. Hopefully it stays that way. May all of Newgrounds stay as healthy and safe as possible!

- CM154

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hope everyone is finding a way to stay happy and healthy as we continue this whole coronavirus lockdown! Today is Day 11 for me, having started on Friday the 13th when they closed the schools in our township. A lot more has shut down since and we’ll likely be home schooling the kids for the rest of the year but everything is going well enough so far. I’m really grateful to everyone who continues to go out and provide food and healthcare during these times, especially the people delivering things to everyone's homes. 

Have you been managing to get the things you need? There are various grocery and meal delivery services so let me know if you think a post about that would be helpful.

In Newgrounds land, @PsychoGoldfish updated the private messaging system last week and it is now mobile friendly! We also deployed some back-end hardware and software updates that should keep things running smoothly, although the Internet itself is having trouble this week due to so many people streaming content at home. How has NG been running on your end?

Art Contest

@IvanAlmighty announced a Shelter In Place Art Jam with $50 prizes each for our three favorites. The theme is to draw yourself sheltered in place, doing whatever you do to pass the time, in an isometric cube format.

Been loving the entries so far!

HaxeFlixel Game Jam Upcoming

@squidly suggested we host a HaxeFlixel game jam and is making a tutorial, after which we’ll announce the theme and start the jam. @squidly and @LarsiusPrime have each offered to chip in $250 towards prize money to help promote HaxeFlixel, so we’ll be kicking off the jam with at least $500 in prizes!

Art Commissions

If you’re open for commissions, be sure to make a posting here on NG! For anyone with money to spare, now would be a great time to commission some artists. I’ve been reaching out to some artists to commission art promoting some of the games on NG, so we can feature cool art that raises awareness for the games here. 

If you’re looking for general inspiration for things to draw, consider making fan art for the original games and animation here on NG! We love seeing it and it brings new fans to other independent artists and developers. If you make just one thing you could also save it for Pico Day and be eligible for a prize.

Art Inspired Music Contest

The Art Inspired Music Contest submissions period will be from Friday, April 17, up until Monday, June 22. The theme of this contest is to make a song inspired by a piece of art here on Newgrounds. Reminder: If you want to link to NG content in the forums, blogs, author commentary or private messages, paste the URL for the entry on it’s own line and it will become a rich content link with thumbnail when the post is published. This is useful for things like the Art Inspired Music Contest but also if you’ve made fan art of a game or movie on NG, or want to promote a song alongside your art. 

Speaking of which, check out this stunning Nightmare Cops pixel art @Miroko just uploaded!

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/miroko/nightmare-cops

I’ve been listening to the Latest Audio while writing this and everyone is on a roll today. Wherever you see a list of audio, click the thumbnail art to play a song in-page and it will work its way down the list.

What are YOU up to today? Working from home? School from home? Playing Animal Crossing all day? Let us know! It's interesting to peak into peoples' lives during times like this.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 11:56:46

Hexel Jam looks cool, guess it's time to ponder on another engine I haven't used at all yet.

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 12:02:06

Well you know, it's not holidays so I still study a lot and... just kidding ! I'm procrastinating ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 13:28:52

game jam sounds rad, hope I have time!

stay safe out there

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: HaxeFlixel Game Jam Upcoming

iu_103562_5520715.png

I'll def be making tutorials for this too

RIP NINJAMUFFIN COLLAB NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature

Working at work. I have the legal authority to take kids away from people. I use it sparingly, because would most kids want to be taken away from their parents? Probably not.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Heard Philly was on lock down now. No going out for non essential reasons. Hope you guys are doing good.

Stay Safe ya'll!

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 14:36:31

its crazy out their, hope everyone is safe

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 14:36:38

I've been studying for my college exams and working on a mega-production of epic orchestra I'm sure everyone will like ^^

Stay safe NG peeps!!

Every decision you've ever made up until now (no matter how small) has potentially saved your life by keeping you from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 14:39:13

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are YOU up to today? Working from home? School from home?

I'm a teacher, so both.

Interestingly enough, NG is running without problems, but my school server keeps passing out.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 17:47:28

NG is running fine from germany so far. Whole EU throttled streaming stuff like youtube, netflix and so on to lighten the load on the net. Let's hope everything keeps stable. I'm just glad that my spouse and me have jobs that can be easily done from home. Had to rearrange my small flat for longer lockdown. University is closed until mid april at least, but I expect it to last into the summer. Been in social distancing isolation for 10 days now, with all stores and restaurant close (except for groceries and other essentials) and I start to realize that even though I have never done much, the little stuff Ive done is starting to feel lost. I wonder how hard this must be for much more extroverted folks.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 18:19:31

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: What are YOU up to today? Working from home? School from home? Playing Animal Crossing all day? Let us know! It's interesting to peak into peoples' lives during times like this.

Wife has been Animal Crossing when she's not working at the hospital. I already work from home, and actually have found an increase in business since this whole thing started.

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 18:26:27

My graduation got canceled, I got kicked out of my dorm, I can't go back to Denmark, and I'm stuck at home alone with not much to do. It sucks!

BBS Signature

Oh, you really want to know what I've been up to today? Fine, I'll keep it brief.

A bunch of phone calls, hunting for temporary jobs and most importantly, making music!

In less than two hours, I've pretty much recreated OMFG's popular track "Hello" with the SEGA Genesis sound chip. That's faster than I usually work from scratch!

Also, I volunteered to be a judge for AIM (since I almost never finish anything for contests or events). We'll see if that happens.

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 21:30:04

It's funny you mention streaming bandwidth effecting sites. I have noticed pages loading faster on here. After the new year I noticed it was a little slower than usual and thought maybe it had to do with going to no ads. then I mentioned it somewhere and felt like a dick because that could happen from probably a million different things that I don't know about.

I have seen graphs of the major streaming sites bandwidth versus some of the more popular online games but really what interests me is no one has a comprehensive list of all the games vs all the streaming services and you probably cant arrange that. but streaming services are on some bullshit if they think theyre not influencing slowdowns but gaming servers are. makes me wonder how you could track the library of every streaming vs gaming bandwidth

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-23 22:03:10

Here in Washington state

gov gave the lock down order now im off of work untill furthur notice but I get payed so its good, stay safe people and keep healthy hope this will all turn for the best soon

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 02:56:40

Things have definitely gotten boring fast, I recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes though! They're still open and I recently bought a ton of new plants to tend to that'll help me stay sane. Got a Peach and Banana Tree, Tomatoes, Watermelon sprouts, and a bunch of Strawberry, Blueberry, Blackberry and Pepper Plants. Don't need to worry about panic buying at the grocery so much when you can just grow your own produce.

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 04:31:01

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: HaxeFlixel Game Jam Upcoming

Yes, perfect. I think another game jam is exactly what I need right now. Good timing for everyone, I think. We can all help each other pass the time during all the social distancing.

It's interesting to peak into peoples' lives during times like this.

It's a weird time to be working in a newsroom. My job hasn't been ported to a "work-from-home" model yet, but most of the people in the office have made that switch, so the newsroom is a ghost town run by a skeleton crew of only the essentials.

That word is interesting too, "essential". I never would have described anything I've ever done as "essential" but I suppose news is kinda important right now, innit?

Strange times. I'm sure there are those who'd say it's far too soon to be making Covid-19 jokes, but I've found comedy to be a good way to cope with the situation, and to that end I've been making goofy edited videos of my state's governor talking about the virus. I suppose they are sort of in bad taste, but idk I kinda get a kick out of it.

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 04:58:53

I only just now managed to secure some time off of work, so I'll be able to catch up with internet stuff and video games that I have been putting off. I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation. Perhaps this is my one chance to knock out some work that I've been meaning to do around the house.

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 07:29:30

So many challenges! I like it! Enough space to move on!

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 08:49:05

At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: A lot more has shut down since and we’ll likely be home schooling the kids for the rest of the year

Tom, you do mean the rest of the SCHOOL year...right? Not the WHOLE year?!?

Feels like current events are taking some spotlight away from that PM revamp. Looks great. Lots of useful distractions too with these events and happenings...

Also my Internet's fine. Seems to be running just like usual. Wonder if maybe phone line connections are on a separate grid, so people with fiber (the majority, of course) are more prone to run into problems right now...

At 3/24/20 04:31 AM, GoodL wrote: That word is interesting too, "essential". I never would have described anything I've ever done as "essential" but I suppose news is kinda important right now, innit?

It really is. One of the positive effects of this whole thing seems to be we're no longer taking certain occupations for granted. Everyone who works with anything even remotely related to health, information, the public sector or maintenance is suddenly a very much appreciated element of social order.

Good thing you're not one of those reporting from the front lines out there though. Dangerous place to be...

Check out the NRC / Hexa #58 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 09:22:12

At 3/24/20 08:49 AM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 3/23/20 11:19 AM, TomFulp wrote: A lot more has shut down since and we’ll likely be home schooling the kids for the rest of the year
Tom, you do mean the rest of the SCHOOL year...right? Not the WHOLE year?!?

Yeah, I meant the rest of this school year.

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 12:00:20

Muffin's gonna win a haxe contest just saying

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 13:42:24

I'm working in Home Office these days and in my spare time I work on my upcoming Html5 game. I won't promise anything, but it's getting along good so far. Well there's not really much opportunity to do anything else here. The gym has been closed and currently it's forbidden to meet more than one people at once. So it's a good time to get creative..

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 13:48:24

At 3/24/20 01:42 PM, Wiesi wrote: I'm working in Home Office these days and in my spare time I work on my upcoming Html5 game. I won't promise anything, but it's getting along good so far. Well there's not really much opportunity to do anything else here. The gym has been closed and currently it's forbidden to meet more than one people at once. So it's a good time to get creative..

Are you using Construct or something else for your game?

BBS Signature

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 14:08:07

Haven't been at work for days, and my shop will probably be closed well into next month. Thankfully though I've got a great support system.

The biggest struggle is keeping myself busy, which I've managed to do by turning out wonky C# text-based games and screwing around in Unity. If anyone wants to do something, hit me up!

Response to Events and Happenings on NG 2020-03-24 14:36:59

At 3/24/20 01:48 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/24/20 01:42 PM, Wiesi wrote: I'm working in Home Office these days and in my spare time I work on my upcoming Html5 game. I won't promise anything, but it's getting along good so far. Well there's not really much opportunity to do anything else here. The gym has been closed and currently it's forbidden to meet more than one people at once. So it's a good time to get creative..
Are you using Construct or something else for your game?

I'm using GDevelop. I became aware to it due to My Time Machine Broke!. And BOY, am I hooked now! The workflow to me comes very close to the good old days with Flash. Well, I'm still using Flash 8 for drawing, but the rest I do with Gdevelop now. Let's hope this is permanent. :)