00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 16 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

AIM 2020 News and Recruitment

6,270 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-20 14:34:15

Hey everyone, the Art-Inspired Music Contest is happening this year, as you may have already heard from Spadezer. Just to reiterate, the timeframe for AIM 2020 is that the submissions period will be from Friday, April 17, up until Monday, June 22. After that, there is a period for listening to and judging the entries, then after that, the results will be announced. I don't have a specific date set for when the results will be announced, but expect it to be some time around mid July, similar to last year.

There are three things I can think that AIM needs help for:

• Promotional art - This is used to promote the contest and also doubles as the cover art for the compilation album. Check out the AIM Bandcamp for examples of previously done cover art.
  • Judges - I'm looking for 3-4 judges who will determine the winners (top 20 as well as a top 3 from within that). General requirements are that you are 18+ years old and that you've at least made some helpful reviews to tracks in the audio portal.
  • Prizes - I'm not clear on the prizes yet, but last year, the prizes were handled by @SplatterDash and I'm hoping maybe someone (or Splatter again, if willing), will be able to take on an entire role handling the collection and distribution of prizes. Other than that, there's also the matter of what these prizes are actually going to be, aside from just being in a compilation album.

Sorry for being a bit late on this. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again and your wonderful future entries. :)

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-20 15:14:20

I volunteer as judge. I feel it is only right for me to do so at this point.

I'd also like to volunteer as judge!!

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-21 00:23:21

Next month, hm... Sooner than I thought, but great!

Now that I am a little more knowledgeble about some NG artists (and that I have finally some good interesting instruments to mess around) I feel like this time I'll make it!

Or at least have fun while trying really hard!

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-21 01:06:05

This is my favorite time of the YEAR!!!!!!!

Virtual Heaven!

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-23 00:02:36

Depending on their situations right now, @samulis @bonnot and @ninjamuffin99 might still be up for prizes, but you'd have to ask them. Glad to see the contest happening again this year.

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

I really wonder if I should sit out this one and be a judge, knowing that I almost never finish stuff for contests and events...

Eh, what the hell. I volunteer, if you need someone.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-23 03:53:33

Ahh yes, this is always good fun. I look forward to it

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-24 03:47:56

Lmao, I saw the note for this on the front page and started working on a track without clicking on it first. I thought april 17th was the deadline, not when we could start lol. Ah well. I cranked this out in the last three hours, if it doesn't count I'll just do another one later xD Otherwise, first!

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-25 02:16:23

Haha you're disqualified!!! Just kidding, I'm not sure of the rules of posting a song before the compo's start date but I like your song a lot. I think it fits the artwork really well! Good job. I plan on making an entry in this compo and I want to go all out this year. Visual art inspires me a lot. We're gonna be competitors I guess. :)

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-27 07:19:45

"Judges - I'm looking for 3-4 judges who will determine the winners (top 20 as well as a top 3 from within that). General requirements are that you are 18+ years old"

Check

" ...and that you've at least made some helpful reviews to tracks in the audio portal."

More than some, that's for sure.

I just wanted to clarify that because I did volunteer to be a judge.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-27 09:03:49

BTW, while I can draw, I would rather have someone else do it. I'm not only reeling from having done all asset art for last year's NGADM, but I also feel that my drawing quality is inconsistent.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-03-31 01:55:39

I have experience in doing promotional work for more than a few bands in my area, and would be happy to lend that skill here if needed.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-02 02:14:48

Uhh im pretty new to newgrounds so.....can someone tell me how this whole contest works? thanks:)

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-02 03:23:44

At 4/2/20 02:14 AM, Paper-Money wrote: Uhh im pretty new to newgrounds so.....can someone tell me how this whole contest works? thanks:)

When the Art-Inspired Music contest begins, on 17 April...

You find someone else's piece of artwork, and make a piece of music inspired by it. IIRC the deadline for this is June sometime, so you've got quite a while.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-02 06:06:54

At 3/31/20 01:55 AM, RionHunter wrote: I have experience in doing promotional work for more than a few bands in my area, and would be happy to lend that skill here if needed.

Thank you for your offer, but my friend, who did the art last year, agreed to do the art this time around. Sorry, I wasn't sure if we'd get an artist in time, so I decided to ask him again before March ended. I do appreciate your offer though! If you're around next year, I'll consider. Oh, and there's also other prominent Newgrounds music compos that run annually, like NGADM and NGUAC; I'm not sure if they need art, but that could also be another possibility.

------

As for the judging, thank you to those who have volunteered thus far. I'll message you with further details - hopefully by next week. Apologies for the delays - I think things will be a lot smoother once my final semester is over.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-02 14:22:30

I think I should be a judge because I have the gift of music haha but I am good at playing and creating music

e

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-02 18:50:36

At 4/2/20 02:22 PM, rockwetaher wrote: I think I should be a judge because I have the gift of music haha but I am good at playing and creating music

if you are judge I'm the president. Call me daddy Trump.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-03 01:41:40

What are the rules for AIM? I can't seem to find a post with the info. Would love to participate!

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-03 02:17:17

At 4/3/20 01:41 AM, trixelbit wrote: What are the rules for AIM? I can't seem to find a post with the info. Would love to participate!

The rules will be posted when the contest starts, April 17 (although keep in mind that I live in the PST time zone so this might be April 18 for some).

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-07 09:11:21

Wait so you just grab an artwork from the art portal and make a song out of it or are there pre selected ones? I’d love to enter. I’d also really like to volunteer as a judge because I basically use my spare time to analyse every painful detail of songs and write an essay for every second. But I’m not 18.

hi

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-07 10:03:45

At 4/7/20 09:11 AM, juliobee wrote: Wait so you just grab an artwork from the art portal and make a song out of it or are there pre selected ones? I’d love to enter. I’d also really like to volunteer as a judge because I basically use my spare time to analyse every painful detail of songs and write an essay for every second. But I’m not 18.

Perhaps try taking part in the contest itself, because doing a piece of music based on a piece of artwork might take you down some musical pathways you never thought you'd go down.

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-07 10:14:38

At 4/7/20 10:03 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 4/7/20 09:11 AM, juliobee wrote: Wait so you just grab an artwork from the art portal and make a song out of it or are there pre selected ones? I’d love to enter. I’d also really like to volunteer as a judge because I basically use my spare time to analyse every painful detail of songs and write an essay for every second. But I’m not 18.
Perhaps try taking part in the contest itself, because doing a piece of music based on a piece of artwork might take you down some musical pathways you never thought you'd go down.

alright, i probably will.

hi

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 News and Recruitment 2020-04-07 16:45:41

It feels like the 2019 contest was just a few months ago -- man time flies!

I'll be entering a track again for sure this year, I can't wait to hear what everyone creates!