00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

The Incremental Improvement Club

852 Views | 39 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-20 08:13:37

Welcome to the Incremental Improvement Club!

Every journey starts with a single step

To give you the quick run down this club is to help people improve and achieve their dreams!

In order to make sure we are economic with our posts please follow the following post format:

Name: (what you prefer we use to call you)

Your main goal(s) for the month: (Max of 3)

1. Goal
  2. Goal
  3. Goal

Why you joined the club:

What you plan to improve:

Feel free to introduce yourself in your first post! (tell us a little about yourself)

And make sure to check in with your progress on your current goals and update with goals for the following month.

To try and keep the feed clean please keep your posts to intro / goal / update posts :)

In your update / new goals posts feel free to congratulate or encourage other users on their progress/

RULES

-be respectful, polite and kind to others

-please try and keep your posts to once a month for goals and updates (you can use these posts to congratulate other members as well)

Lets have fun and goodluck!

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-20 08:18:37

I should probably do one as well.

Hi im Tacopug I just realized i should have started this club at the start of a month. Whoops!

Im an animator and im relatively new to newgrounds. I want to improve at lots of things so I hope this helps!

Name: Tacopug

My main goals:

1. Finish a storyboard im working on
  2. Work out once a week (im very new to the fitness game)
  3. Try and make a new friend

Why I joined this club: I think accountability is a poweful motivator. Now everyone can see my failures publically! :D

What I plan to improve: Mostly time management and balance. These goals sort of reflect that (a little)

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-20 08:19:20

Ozone

Lose 5 pounds (Currently 196lb)

(4/20/20)

Post 8 Art Pieces

(4/20/20)

Post More Animation tests to NG

Why you joined the club:

Keep better track of what I'm working to improve

Health and Art.

Want to get more art done, and since this lock down has been placed on the city it's a good time to control what I do a bit more closely.

De gustibus non est disputandum

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-23 12:18:03

Fro

Hip health: I can't sit right now. I can barely stand. Walking is an alright activity. I'm going to the physical therapist tomorrow. We think my hip dislocated. If the only thing I do this month/next month, since it's so close to the end of March, is to fix my hip then I'll be happy.

Why you joined the club:

I was actually making threads like this in the general forum where we introduced a new goal every week. Something super simple and easy to accomplish. It got tedious. This is a nice step down from that with the same mindset.

Overall pain level. It's all I can think about now. I only feel decent with a heating pad on laying in bed...

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-23 12:18:23

Also, @Cyberdevil

At 3/23/20 12:18 PM, Fro wrote: Also, @Cyberdevil

Alright I'm in, still going with those first eight incremental weeklies too...

Cyberdevil's fine. Would feel weird being called anything else at this point.

1. Stay free from or recover from covid-19 (starting signs of a light cold currently so who knows...)
  2. Maintain my spot on the medal rankings
  3. Keep the pandemic paranoia at bay

Why you joined the club:

As you say accountability is definitely a factor for accomplishment, so I hope y'all hold myself accountable to the goals I set here. Hopefully knowing I'm accountable for said goals doesn't make me not make them serious enough, though, I might have a tendency to do that...

My life and health overall. Until I figure out exactly where and what I want to be I hope to use this for those incremental steps of self-betterment that might lead there.

Hope to have some more meaningful goals next month, seems like I might mostly be focusing on #3 this last week...

The latest: Hexa #67 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-30 16:50:55

I've improved a lot on my hip health. It still doesn't feel great when I'm sitting, but they managed to move it back into place last time. I have a physical therapy appointment again this week.

It's gotten me feeling good enough to start working on some other physical fitness things not related to my lower body. Today I did 110 pullups/chin ups (55 each) during my lunch break!

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-03-30 23:12:27

At 3/30/20 04:50 PM, NotCoachFro wrote: I've improved a lot on my hip health. It still doesn't feel great when I'm sitting, but they managed to move it back into place last time. I have a physical therapy appointment again this week.

Moving a hip back into place sounds rough, but keep at it!

It's gotten me feeling good enough to start working on some other physical fitness things not related to my lower body. Today I did 110 pullups/chin ups (55 each) during my lunch break!

Nice!

Ketosis is kicking back in for me so I've reached my weight goal pretty quickly. Just need to keep eating healthy and make sure that I'm getting enough protein and fat.

Going to try to work more art into my day.

De gustibus non est disputandum

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-04-03 15:53:39

At 3/30/20 11:12 PM, Ozone wrote:
At 3/30/20 04:50 PM, NotCoachFro wrote: I've improved a lot on my hip health. It still doesn't feel great when I'm sitting, but they managed to move it back into place last time. I have a physical therapy appointment again this week.
Moving a hip back into place sounds rough, but keep at it!

It was, it involved me laying on one side while the doctor grabbed the inner part of my hip. (It hurts haha) They then moved my left leg backwards as I pulled my left arm backwards until the foot and hand touched while they forced it back into place.

I felt great going back minus some of the damaged muscles that still hurt and one leg was a couple of inches longer than the other so they made another small adjustment. It seems to be holding as of right now.

Nice!

Ketosis is kicking back in for me so I've reached my weight goal pretty quickly. Just need to keep eating healthy and make sure that I'm getting enough protein and fat.

I'm currently working on losing a little bit of weight. Lower weight, equals lower calorie intake needed to maintain weight, which involves me going to the grocery store less to buy food. (less likely to get a virus) I've been losing about .5 a week, which is more than enough for my goals. That's just about a 200 calorie deficit a day, so I'm still eating around 2,800 calories to reach it.

I'm down from 200 pounds to 191 this morning. I'll ride this 200 calorie deficit until the weight loss stops then I'll maintain at that level. I couldn't imagine eating less. :P

Going to try to work more art into my day.

I've decided to start working on a video project. It's been quite a few years. The script is written and some promo photo's were taken. An artist is working on a promotional poster right now and some video will be shot later tonight!

So I did manage to keep my rank, I'm feeling pretty good overall, seems the cold might've been just that, have started taking occasional bicarbonate baths in addition to cold showers, and wielding wrist weights on all my walks I'm feeling like this might be one of those notable health improvements I might not even need to think about to make progress with...

At 4/3/20 03:53 PM, NotCoachFro wrote: I'm currently working on losing a little bit of weight. Lower weight, equals lower calorie intake needed to maintain weight, which involves me going to the grocery store less to buy food. (less likely to get a virus) I've been losing about .5 a week, which is more than enough for my goals. That's just about a 200 calorie deficit a day, so I'm still eating around 2,800 calories to reach it.

...though when I read your calculations I feel like I probably need to think about some things in numbers too. No idea how many calories I have in a day, more so how much B6, B12, K2 and D3-vitamin, magnesium and Omega-3, and with which meals so they don't work against the nutrients therein...

I'm down from 200 pounds to 191 this morning. I'll ride this 200 calorie deficit until the weight loss stops then I'll maintain at that level. I couldn't imagine eating less. :P

Good luck. The prospects of cutting down on a diet... *shivers*

That video too. Sounds intriguing.

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-04-07 22:55:08

Health:

Physical therapy is going well. I managed to do some lower body excercises yesterday pain free.

My appointments are now every 2 weeks instead of every week.

Video:

We didn't shoot more footage, but I did get the 6 rough minutes edited down to the majority of the first scene. Sometimes it's crazy to think that 6 minutes of video turns into 30 seconds of final product.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-04-10 22:17:53

Updating and checking in for this month.

My main goals for march were:

-finish the storyboard (I didn't complete this but it's getting very close so I will carry this over to april)

-work out once a week (I failed abysmally at this but I have moved a pull up bar to a visible place hopefully this will shame me into doing more in the future)

-make a new friend (with the pandemic going around this is a lot harder than what I had planned however i am becoming more active on newgrounds and have so far met quite a few people here)

My new goals for April:

-Finish that storyboard from March (i'm so damn close!)

-Keep my room clean (seems basic but I'd like to have some level of organisation and control in this insanity)

-Upload to the art portal twice this month

Seems like everyone met some of their goals which is really good.

Congrats on the weight loss Ozone

Excited to see your video project when it's done Fro (also glad to hear the physical therapy is going well!)

Good work maintaining your rankings Cyberdevil (also i'm glad it was just a cold :o )

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-04-17 21:03:11

Hello I make music, like maths and want to better myself for real because there's a whoooleee lot of stuff I can improve on.

April 17th, 2020.

Name: Jatmoz.

Main goals:

1. Clean my bedroom completely, and find stuff I can throw out. Haven't done it in a while now.
  2. Complete the entire first half of Diriklet, a track I'm working on. That'd be intro, build-up, drop and first part of bridge.
  3. Read 3 chapters of The Calculus Lifesaver. I've had the book for a while now and am yet to finish it. That should be up to page 200.

Why I joined: As someone else mentioned, accountability is a powerful motivator. You get worried that other people will actually see your failure, and you get motivated that other people will see your success. I'd think it's a lot more effective than making a to-do list or setting some note on the side as a reminder.

What I plan to improve: Just overall how I spend my time. I tend to fall back onto staying in the internet for too much time, and thinking that what's left of the day isn't enough time to do stuff so I just keep binging videos on Youtube. I'd also just rather not spend so much time on the internet, and focus on more both productive and engaging stuff like practicing problem solving, music production, maybe a couple walks outside because this isolation thing is starting to get a bit boring.

So yeah, hope this thread can make me a bit more productive about it.

i see you

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-05-10 21:23:04

Now that we're well into May I thought i'd give an update on how I've trekked.

1- Managed to finish first pass on storyboard

2- Room was not clean at all, abysmal effort

3- I uploaded once to the art portal but im still happy with my effort.

I actually accomplished a lot outside of my initial goals that i want to celebrate.

I've been learning Toon Boom and so far have been pretty successful at it. Managed to submit and entry for the Petjam (which we somehow did in only 10 days)

I also hit a very big milestone with my storyboard project. It is very big and we've chipped away a large part.

My goals going forward are:

1 - Finalize revisions on storyboard (im anxious to move to production or at least get feedback on where we've got to in the project so this is a high priority for me)

2 - Continue learning Toon Boom (I want to do maybe 1-5 animation tests to feel out different features. I dont know how i'll share these maybe in a bulk forum post or something)

3 - I'd really like to try my hand at developing something from a script so im going to write one before the end of May as well. (Not going to put a great deal of pressure on this front)

I'd really like to learn blender as well but as Im considered an essential worker my free time has been pretty limited of late.

Seem to actually be busier during this whole crisis unfortunately.

How are you guys doing with your goals?

Did you get any 'wins' in April that surprised you.

What are your new goals for the month?

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-05-17 22:09:59

At 5/10/20 09:23 PM, Tacopug wrote: I actually accomplished a lot outside of my initial goals that i want to celebrate.

1 - Finalize revisions on storyboard (im anxious to move to production or at least get feedback on where we've got to in the project so this is a high priority for me)
2 - Continue learning Toon Boom (I want to do maybe 1-5 animation tests to feel out different features. I dont know how i'll share these maybe in a bulk forum post or something)
3 - I'd really like to try my hand at developing something from a script so im going to write one before the end of May as well. (Not going to put a great deal of pressure on this front)

Wish you best of luck on your animations and improving your skills! Hopefully you being an essential worker doesn't slow you down from accomplishing you goals.

ok time to revise my goals then

1. Clean my bedroom completely, and find stuff I can throw out. Haven't done it in a while now.

Did it in full just yesterday. Looks mighty clean, and I'm satisfied.

2. Complete the entire first half of a track I'm working on. That'd be intro, build-up, drop and first part of bridge.

I didn't put much focus on this one until the last week or two, but at least everything except for the bridge is finished now. It's looking pretty alright for finishing in a month at most, hopefully.

3. Read 3 chapters of a calculus book I've had for a while now and am yet to finish it. That should be up to page 200.

Minimal effort on this one, only got to 150. Though to be honest I feel like I could've picked something more engaging than this.

In terms of other goals not on the list, I'd say I'm starting to improve on the handling of my time. I'm still kinda rocky with binging youtube videos for an entire day sometimes, but this last week has been very productive even with school in the picture. And best of all, school is about to end in two weeks so there's a ton of free time I really wish to take advantage of. I definitely sound dramatic when I say this, but this seems like a one in a lifetime amount of free time.

Ok so new goals uhhhh

1. Finish completely the track. All of it.
  2. Do excercise everyday, starting tomorrow because I got lazy today. Around 20 to 30 minutes though.
  3. Complete chapters 7 and 8 of an online math course I'm on.

I wanna think these ones are more lenient, mainly because I really wanna finish the track in the month.

y'all stay on that self-improvement mood

i see you

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2020-05-18 10:39:40

So I've been doing lots of little things.

I've been eating at a steady 2,000 calories a day and I'm now down 20 pounds since quarantine. I've been working towards running a marathon, literally baby steps at a time with the couch to 5k app. Then it goes to the 5k to 10k app, etc... I don't actually have any plans on running a real marathon, but just running for health reasons in general.

I've also been working on a podcast. I need to keep setting daily goals for that. The first episode got produced in 3 days, but I've been working on episode 2 for over a week now. I'm going to make sure I get it out by tomorrow. The good news is I have enough tape for 4 total episodes so it's probably ok that I'm falling a little behind on it now since I'll have a months worth finished.

I need to find a way to start working on my mental health. Sheltering in place is taking a lot out of me. It's not so much me staying at home as it is my kid is staying at home. So not only do I work for 8 hours a day, I'm coming home and doing all of the cleaning, cooking, and a good portion of the homeschooling. It leaves me so burnt out that I just can't seem to fit in anything that I enjoy for myself.

You know what, this thread's cool imma resurrect it. Lemme see what I had here

At 5/17/20 10:09 PM, Jatmoz wrote: Ok so new goals uhhhh
1. Finish completely the track. All of it.
2. Do excercise everyday, starting tomorrow because I got lazy today. Around 20 to 30 minutes though.
3. Complete chapters 7 and 8 of an online math course I'm on.

First one, I FRIGGIN' FINISHED IT HELL YEAH. Took an entire half of a year but it's finished and I'm happy. Second one. Sometime after this post I tried another way of being productive: a daily checklist. This one was more effective than a schedule or a strict project deadline since it left a bit of leeway, so not accomplishing a given task didn't mean instant complete failure. According to the checklist which I've maintained to this day, I've exercised just about everyday with 2 or 3 days missed for every 14 days. Third one, I finished the course so that's nice.

On the theme of making good use of my time, in some time between the last post and like September I installed a Firefox add-on called Leechblock which allows me to block sites in certain time frames or set time limits for a site. With it I was able to gradually decrease my use of Youtube and other sites, to the point today where I barely use Youtube on each day. If you have a website that seems to suck out your free time against your will because monkey brain need cheap dopamine hit, install that add-on. It's also on Microsoft Edge and Chrome.

It is January 20th, 2021. Onto setting new goals:

1. Finish and upload two new songs on Newgrounds soon.
  2. Attend piano classes on 23th and 30th of january, and 6th, 13th and 20th of february. No skipping allowed.
  3. Write up solutions to at least 6 new math problems on the proof book.

So that should do it for this month before I enter school again. How have you guys been doing with your goals these last 8 months?

i see you

BBS Signature

At 1/20/21 10:35 PM, Jatmoz wrote: Leechblock

Think I might need this one. :) TY for the tip!

And Congrats on those accomplishments!

How have you guys been doing with your goals these last 8 months?

Last goals I posted hmm... wait I didn't post any last time.

Suppose I managed a fair share the last eight months though, like my first real mastered-and-all mixtape as well as daily verses all of October, more physical summer-related accomplishments in regard to crops and berries and living off the land for a bit, bought a car to get around public commuting and learned a bundle in regard to fixing that which needed to be fixed there and maybe next time I buy a car being a bit more observative and knowledgeable about what flaws you might need to keep an eye out for, have managed to keep covid paranoia at bay for the most part - though these winter days in particular the isolation; tension definitely takes a toll. Read a lot. Was on a decent exercise regime for a bit but need to get back to that. Have some big plans but need to better formulate them; get a grip on how I manage my time and stay motivated...

For the remainder of this month then:

1. Finish up a way overdue sprite for a random little game collab.
  2. Fix up my car again before a pending inspection. Which in detail means troubleshoot a headlight that doesn't seem to work even with replaced bulb, do something about a blinding fog light, replace some rusted brake pipes and locate an oil leak in the engine room.
  3. Don't skip a day of writing in regard to my two alternative diaries and daily hundred word posts + catch up with what I missed. Been occasionally just putting them off for the next day when motivation wanes but: no longer. Make them routine.

Seems hopefully doable for starters...

BBS Signature

Following up on last month's somewhat late challenges...

At 1/21/21 05:43 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Finish up a way overdue sprite for a random little game collab.

Got it done. :) Just in time to post a spin-off version of it for Pixel Day too: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cyberdevil/mini-santa-sled-sprite

Fix up my car again before a pending inspection. Which in detail means troubleshoot a headlight that doesn't seem to work even with replaced bulb, do something about a blinding fog light, replace some rusted brake pipes and locate an oil leak in the engine room.

Inspection went well! All points repaired. The headlight was apparently just a loose metal contact on one side of the lamp, though I swapped lights before I figured that out. The fog lights are now unplugged, the brake pipes replaced, oil and filter/plugs are all swapped out in regard to the leak, the engine room cleaned up... though I'm not sure there really was a leak after all. Couldn't find one and they didn't see anything at inspection either...

Don't skip a day of writing in regard to my two alternative diaries and daily hundred word posts + catch up with what I missed. Been occasionally just putting them off for the next day when motivation wanes but: no longer. Make them routine.

I might've skipped a couple days, a couple times, maybe... I am currently all caught up though, but think I'll set this one up again with certain addition; try to really make it all routine. It's good to keep that inspiration alive/penmanship a common practice at no extra expense...

Soo, for February:

1. Make something for the Flash Jam.
  2. Don't miss a day with both diaries/haikus/hundred word posts.
  3. Drop 5 KG.

In regard to that last one I've been eating a bit too much and not getting enough movement lately... as of today I'm eating less/better/skipping meals when I'm not really hungry/getting out for longer walks whenever there's time/moving around indoors a bit more often during work days when I'm usually glued to the screen for at times way too long intervals. Will do a few sit-ups or similar at least every hour hour or so when I can, and start with a proper work-out a few times each week. I'm currently just on the edge of 100KG, so if I get back down to 95 before March I'm happy.

Hopefully doable, incremental mental improvements a brewing...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-03 06:46:10

At 5/18/20 10:39 AM, Fro wrote: I need to find a way to start working on my mental health. Sheltering in place is taking a lot out of me. It's not so much me staying at home as it is my kid is staying at home. So not only do I work for 8 hours a day, I'm coming home and doing all of the cleaning, cooking, and a good portion of the homeschooling. It leaves me so burnt out that I just can't seem to fit in anything that I enjoy for myself.

Sounds crazy hectic. :/ Any progress with this the last few months? Skimming those newsposts earlier it seems like hopefully you're past that pinnacle of stress and tension at this point...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-09 18:41:29

At 2/3/21 06:46 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 5/18/20 10:39 AM, Fro wrote: I need to find a way to start working on my mental health. Sheltering in place is taking a lot out of me. It's not so much me staying at home as it is my kid is staying at home. So not only do I work for 8 hours a day, I'm coming home and doing all of the cleaning, cooking, and a good portion of the homeschooling. It leaves me so burnt out that I just can't seem to fit in anything that I enjoy for myself.
Sounds crazy hectic. :/ Any progress with this the last few months? Skimming those newsposts earlier it seems like hopefully you're past that pinnacle of stress and tension at this point...

It's gotten better, but it's still taking it's toll. Everything will be good to go once the kids can go back to school and I get my day back.

Currently working 3 jobs, still doing the home schooling, waking up at 5:30 in the morning to train. Now with the work I'm getting home around 7PM just completely finished. This week has been especially tiring.

The long weekend and days off next week should help a lot though. It's also my deload week at the gym where I take it easy. So I should get a bit of energy back.

At 2/9/21 06:41 PM, Fro wrote: It's gotten better, but it's still taking it's toll. Everything will be good to go once the kids can go back to school and I get my day back.

Currently working 3 jobs, still doing the home schooling, waking up at 5:30 in the morning to train. Now with the work I'm getting home around 7PM just completely finished. This week has been especially tiring.

The long weekend and days off next week should help a lot though. It's also my deload week at the gym where I take it easy. So I should get a bit of energy back.

Mmm, hope times do go back to how they used to be, though feels like you can't be certain of anything really.

The three jobs though, hope at least one or two of those are temporary? An end in sight as to the current schedule there, after which finances should've improved to allow for lower pace and at least work-related normalcy/sanity/such?

Really impressive grind man. I get stressed out enough with just the one with everything as everything is, stay strong; hope it goes well! We humans are pretty adaptable creatures after all. A little like those valuable minerals down in the dirt. The more pressure we're exposed to the tougher it seems we become. To a certain extent. Some do seem to handle pressure better than others and use it to toughen, others more so just break apart.

Seems like/hopefully you might be one of the former!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-11 12:36:39

At 2/10/21 09:32 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/9/21 06:41 PM, Fro wrote: It's gotten better, but it's still taking it's toll. Everything will be good to go once the kids can go back to school and I get my day back.

Mmm, hope times do go back to how they used to be, though feels like you can't be certain of anything really.

The three jobs though, hope at least one or two of those are temporary? An end in sight as to the current schedule there, after which finances should've improved to allow for lower pace and at least work-related normalcy/sanity/such?

One of them is only seasonal, but sadly that's the one I enjoy the most. I have my full time normal office job, which is a drag, but pays the bills.

Then my spouse and I are RA's at the university housing we live in. Not a huge load of hours, but enough each day to make things challenging. We want to hold on to this as long as possible. We are paid in food and rent. Rent where we live averages around $2,000 a month. I also eat like a horse. This has been a HUGE help.

The seasonal job is my coaching job. Pays pretty decently. I have a football (American/Handegg) season and a track season. I love this and wouldn't give it up. If I could make this a full time job some day at a college or big high school I'm going for it.

So in reality all of the jobs aren't necessary, but they all have huge benefits. One gives me a place to eat and sleep, one gives me money to spend, and the other one doesn't feel like a job at all, more like a fun activity that I get to participate in.

At 2/11/21 12:36 PM, Fro wrote: One of them is only seasonal, but sadly that's the one I enjoy the most. I have my full time normal office job, which is a drag, but pays the bills.

Man that's a bummer. It's not summer where you are now is it? Shoveling snow? Seems the warmer season's when pretty much everything goes down around here, not so much extra jobs to go around right now.

Then my spouse and I are RA's at the university housing we live in. Not a huge load of hours, but enough each day to make things challenging. We want to hold on to this as long as possible. We are paid in food and rent. Rent where we live averages around $2,000 a month. I also eat like a horse. This has been a HUGE help.

Hoooly shit that rent. O_O Wouldn't be able to afford that at all. Does sound handy. It doesn't pay all though does it, a small portion? If it does then man that is one incredible extra gig.

The seasonal job is my coaching job. Pays pretty decently. I have a football (American/Handegg) season and a track season. I love this and wouldn't give it up. If I could make this a full time job some day at a college or big high school I'm going for it.

Never mind the question marks above then. :) Sound fun. Been looking for suitable outdoor jobs myself for some time, just sitting in really wears you down, but don't want to give up summer so hmm. Some day though. Sounds like full time coaching should be doable too! No matter what qualifications you have you do have enough physique to look authentic. ;) Though seems you probably would be good at that kind of thing either way.

So in reality all of the jobs aren't necessary, but they all have huge benefits. One gives me a place to eat and sleep, one gives me money to spend, and the other one doesn't feel like a job at all, more like a fun activity that I get to participate in.

Doesn't sound so bad when you put it like this. Nice. So basically: cheaper (or no) rent and full time coaching and maybe you'd be living the dream, just to get there in small incremental steps then...

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-13 23:24:58

Its good to see everyone's updates. I know 2020 hit people pretty hard and most of us really needed to take a break to focus on keeping our heads above water. In a lot of ways I've found this carried into 2021 but I am significantly more optimistic about this year. I have a good feeling about the future...

Just want to take a quick moment to say that everyone in this thread is very interesting. It's cool to see how you guys have developed and I know things are difficult but seeing you guys adapt and follow up on the goals you have ended up accomplishing is pretty cool. :)

As for my goals I set last year, I mostly achieve them. I am much more familiar with software I was using, Toonboom is a lot more natural for me now and im making leaps and bounds in my knowledge of blender. Im really excited to keep learning blender, i think i will end up using it predominantly as a layout / background tool. I dont see myself doing a deep dive on grease pencil but that could change. I've also been dabbling in 'digital stopmotion' which has been super fun and low pressured for me. heavily inspired by the work of cobcris and its been a fun topic to explore.

I think i'll set some goals for March given where we are in the month as it'll help me work out some direction with everything. Had a lot of loose commitments that I have been avoiding and need to tie up.

1. finish and upload 'life lemons' short skit i worked on with Voicesbycorey, the file corrupted twice now so i got disheartened and didn't complete it. I'm going to take one last crack at it without expectation or pressure on myself. i have faith in the writing and acting so i need to worry less about it being 'perfect' and more on it being well timed and economic. I will finish this and upload it before the end of march!
  2. iu_241257_5944885.jpg I've been getting into anime recently in a big way, i'd like to animate this fanart from an anime i've been watching so i can get something into the art portal again :)
  3. I am running a collab with a friend. I don't know whether it will gain enough traction to go through or not, if it falls through at the start of March I will be completing a script instead for an anime I've been thinking of recently.

I'll also be trying to do some small fx tests here and there, i've been doing reading and learning on the topic recently and i think it's genuinely an avenue i can see myself approaching as a career. It interests me and i can separate the process from my ego a lot more, so i've found overall the process to be much more enjoyable.

That's it for now.

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-15 15:09:16

Zebra Humor (she/her)

I have the biggest zebra joke website in the world

( There is one website that claims to have more jokes but it

repeats the same racist one over and over.)

1. Put buildings on backgrounds

2. Add buttons on maze.

3. Get rid of this damn burnout keeping me from doing the

above.

II joined this club because maybe writing it down and setting my intentions will get me to get it done.

I plan to improve my motivation.

February 20th, 2021. It is now a month since my last update, let's see how I did.

At 1/20/21 10:35 PM, Jatmoz wrote: new goals:
1. Finish and upload two new songs on Newgrounds soon.
2. Attend piano classes on 23th and 30th of january, and 6th, 13th and 20th of february. No skipping allowed.
3. Write up solutions to at least 6 new math problems on the proof book.

First one, I uploaded two new songs hell yeah. I've been able to produce more music these last few weeks than I have in the entire latter half of last year just from finding out I'm more inspired in the morning and from not restricting myself to old projects, instead coming up with new stuff. I might upload another tune with actual effort in a week or two because dang.

Second one, I attended piano classes every one of those days, no skips were done.

Third one tho, I only wrote two solutions because math is fuckin' hard. Imma try and see if I can emulate what I'm doing with music onto math and find times where I'm more creative and prone to new ideas, although it's kinda difficult when you have no idea if the things you try to do are easy and have clean, clever solutions or requires some obscure theorem from an advanced postgraduate topic. cough cough schur uwu cough

In about a week, my dad and I are about to travel to his family's country which he hasn't seen in 20 years, so I'll be really busy with meeting relatives I've never talked to before and going out to landmarks and interesting sites and all that. So I'll be more lenient this month and put goals I can do easily over there:

1. Write up two solutions to problems in the proof book. Bonus: Solve one problem from the napkin.
  2. Make intro and bridge for the "let out and do whatever" WIP. Bonus: Finish the song in its entirety.

See you in a month, lads.

i see you

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-02-21 07:58:27

At 2/20/21 11:06 PM, Jatmoz wrote: cough cough schur uwu cough

Skimming through this is like trying to read a story in a foreign language. XD Complex indeed, holy bajeebles...

In about a week, my dad and I are about to travel to his family's country which he hasn't seen in 20 years, so I'll be really busy with meeting relatives I've never talked to before and going out to landmarks and interesting sites and all that. So I'll be more lenient this month and put goals I can do easily over there:

See you in a month, lads.

Good Luck; hope you have a good time getting back to your roots! Sounds nice.

At 2/15/21 03:09 PM, ZebraHumor wrote: 3. Get rid of this damn burnout keeping me from doing the
above.

Hopefully you manage #3 before #1 and 2 then. ;) Burnouts can be tough. Hard to find the energy to make the progress you need to really feel like you're making progress with anything that'd let you get out of it... vicious cycle!

Good to see you here too though ZebraHumor, and good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to The Incremental Improvement Club 2021-03-06 15:14:41

Following up on those incremental February steps that may not have fared all as well as the last ones...

1. Make something for the Flash Jam.

Yes! Got started for real a bit late but finished this on the last day of the month (appreciative deadline in regard to goal):

Managed another jam entry just a few days earlier. So mission accomplished here. Feels good to be getting a bit more involved with events again too, hope to keep that fire burning...

2. Don't miss a day with both diaries/haikus/hundred word posts.

Going back I apparently missed haikus on two days, didn't think I'd missed any there... have been occasionally falling behind with the other writing though, wonder if this goal is really that important though, I catch up after a while, maybe my lack of discipline in this particular case means I feel there are really more important things at hand; each day doesn't allow the same amount of writing, therapeutic though it may be...

3. Drop 5 KG.

This started alright, had great discipline the first week and a bit, dropped around 3 KG, then work picked up, I started stress eating again and reclaimed two thirds of that. At least a kilo less right now but that's not really enough...

Thinking maybe I need to be a bit more specific with this last one. Shall focus more on getting healthy this month as to hopefully be a bit more efficient and disciplined overall, so for March:

1. Cold shower every morning. Theoretically it should boost metabolism a bit as to ease weight loss, and it seems like there's no better way to keep motivation consistent either. I dropped my cold shower routine a few months earlier but picked it up again this past week. Hope to keep this going now...
  2. Do at least two real workouts every week, and plan them in beforehand so I don't just push them for some later time. If all goes well maybe I can expand upon this later.
  3. Not sure what to put here, was thinking some creative endeavor but there's a bundle I'm working on without any particular deadline right now... in lack of specifiability: finish at least one collab.

Considered adding in a take at least two half hour walks every day and do at least one set of sit-ups/push-ups/crunches every morning/night with the goal to drop a kilo every week/overall feel better too but feels like that might be beyond my incremental capacity. Possible bonus goal there.

Would like to try getting up earlier and having a quick jog every morning too but not quite there yet, maybe next month.

BBS Signature

March 20th, 2021. Another month has passed.

The visit to my dad's country of birth was nice, if a bit tiresome. One thing I'm happy about is that I was able to be more social and open to the relatives I've only now got to know, it was kind of a semi-goal of mine since I usually struggled with being social and talking with people I never met before, but this time even my dad noticed I had an improvement on that front. The people I meet were pretty cool too, my uncle's family was really pleasant and relaxing to be with. 9/10 would go there again.

About my goals, I didn't really do either of 'em, although I might write up a solution today. About the music projects, I've made some progress on coming up with some ideas but I haven't worked on this "let out and do whatever" project as of late, I'm kinda running into a wall on the part I'm at. I'm honestly quite happy with a new WIP that just sprung up this last wednesday though, and a new part of another different WIP I made last monday.

After 11 days of not having a schedule and just doing what I felt like at each moment, I've had a bit of a delay to get back on my daily checklist, but I'm getting there. Good thing is that after this next week we have two full weeks of vacation, so to compensate for last month's goals I'll make this month's goals a bit more demanding to push myself a bit more than usual, and I'll see how I do.

New goals, then:

1. Finish and upload the "let out and do whatever" project. Don't be a perfectionist, just finish it.
  2. Write up three solutions to problems. Also start learning LaTeX. As a test, transcribe all the solutions and problems you've got into a PDF document so it looks pretty.
  3. Read that calculus book from page 275 to page 306, doing all the worthwhile example problems

Aight, that should do it. Until next month then.

i see you

BBS Signature