00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HatofInquiry just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Let's talk about Rey

529 Views | 18 Replies

Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-17 18:02:48

You know? Rey Palpatine. The biggest problem with the sequel trilogy.

She was created by feminist, for feminist, to act as an icon of feminism. As if that makes any sense in a fucking Star Wars movie.

She's a strong female character. And why is she strong? Why, because Kylo did all the work, of course. Rey and Kylo are a Force dyad. As Kylo grows strong in the dark side, the light makes Rey strong enough to match him. Kylo has trained, learned, and sacrificed all his for everything he has, only for the force to just buff Rey until she matches him. She would've died in obscurity on Jakku if he hadn't.

There's your feminist character, people. A strong female character who all her strength to a man's hard work. How inspiring!

*sigh* Does anyone remember when we used to have good female characters? Dana Scully. Buffy Summers. Elisa Maza. I could go on all day. Why are the people who grew up with characters like this so bad at creating characters at least as good?

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-17 18:53:34

It took Luke Skywalker only a few years to master the force, and become as skilled with the light-saber as his father - who use to hunt down Jedi's. The new Star War sequels are just a new retelling of the story. I have my own reasons for disliking them (along with the pre-sequals with Anikin Skywalker), but I had no problem with Ray. And you are seeing way too much into it.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-17 19:16:53

lmao how is this political my dude?

hello

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-17 21:42:11

At 2/17/20 07:16 PM, 8754d384527 wrote: lmao how is this political my dude?

Feminism is politics. And modern feminism is a large part of what's wrong with modern media.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-17 22:54:29

At 2/17/20 09:42 PM, Aaron-Chandler wrote:
At 2/17/20 07:16 PM, 8754d384527 wrote: lmao how is this political my dude?
Feminism is politics. And modern feminism is a large part of what's wrong with modern media.

Gee, didn't see this coming from a mile away. Did a girl dump you or something? You always bring this shit up. I have seen dozens of anti-feminism topics on this board, but I have never seen a pro-feminism topic in the last 5 years here. Guess which one is more annoying?

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-18 06:08:21 (edited 2020-02-18 06:08:50)

The new trilogy is trash. Read the star wars books and comics from the first Extended Universe which is now branded as Star Wars Legends. Still angry I'll never get to see Dartg Caedus and my Bobba Fett-Han Solo assassination mission team up.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 02:05:35 (edited 2020-02-19 02:06:12)

At 2/18/20 06:08 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: The new trilogy is trash. Read the star wars books and comics from the first Extended Universe which is now branded as Star Wars Legends. Still angry I'll never get to see Dartg Caedus and my Bobba Fett-Han Solo assassination mission team up.

I would pay to see a movie with all the crazy shit from the Force Unleashed video games, like bringing down a star destroyer with just the force.

hello

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 17:22:10

Let's not and pretend it never existed.

Instead, the real continuation is Wing Commander. The Republic collapsed under its own corruption to become the Confederacy. Mothma remains chief of state throughout, however, the only one of tens of thousands to escape scandal.

Han and Leia married and retired, Luke went on to become a colonel, Chewie for some inexplicable reason grew a tail.

iu_95164_964020.jpg

Unfortunately, both their children perish in the ensuing galactic war, one having become a traitor to humanity.

After the next war, he becomes a great statesman in the mould of one ancient Earthian gentleman by the name of Jefferson.

Then having had his fill of adventure and military exploits, he returns to his roots, becoming a farmer on Nephele II. Nyah!

iu_95163_964020.jpg

also it turns out "the force" is an actual place

and I wonder if Lucas kept up with that series because he did something pretty similar in the Clone Wars series.

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 18:03:36 (edited 2020-02-19 18:06:27)

The biggest problem is we got to see Luke train....and even "fail" after he was over assertive and rushed off to save his friends before his training was complete. Of course in Rise Of Skywalker it remedies this somewhat. Aka,we see Rey train FINALLY. But I think we can all agree like Rey or dislike her Star Wars was kiddified. Luke lost his hand in a duel with his dad. Did Rey go thru anything that traumatic? Was she ever even "scarred"? Poor Finn got fracked harder than she ever did when he jumped in to protect her. (And did pretty damn well considering he had no light-saber instruction before-hand. I honestly thought he was going to end up being a young jedi too.) Regardless, it's as if the very physics of light sabers are "changed". It used to be yo ass could get cut in half or you could get your legs and arms severed from your body but "now" it's like being hit with a frickin baseball bat! I mean it still "hurts" but I don't see any decapitations or mutilations. Another thing that annoys me in Star-Wars as a whole is "miracle pilots". Anakin goes from riding pod racers to flying a fighter based craft meant for aerial warfare in the same movie. Rey pilots the friggin Millenium Falcon as if she grew up with Han Solo! As a kid I thought all you needed to be an ace pilot was to simultaneously be a Jedi!

iu_95176_869871.jpg

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 18:28:17

I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu. The series is 25 years old. And we get a character who is strong and female without also being an insufferable Mary Sue. Buffy has gifts, but she also has to put in effort. She learns from her failures and earns every victory she has.

Rey isn't like that. No, Rey is given everything. And everything she's given is something we've seen other jedi work for.

And they honestly wonder why people call it the regressive left.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 18:37:03

At 2/19/20 06:28 PM, Aaron-Chandler wrote: I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu. The series is 25 years old. And we get a character who is strong and female without also being an insufferable Mary Sue. Buffy has gifts, but she also has to put in effort. She learns from her failures and earns every victory she has.

Rey isn't like that. No, Rey is given everything. And everything she's given is something we've seen other jedi work for.

Yeah,I'm not a big fan of Joss Whedon as a person but he has created things I really got into! I also liked Buffy because akin to Luke we saw her make mistakes and grow from them. She wasn't simply "good at everything" and without the Scoobies (Her supporting friends) I believe her fate would have been much darker. (Faith is symbolic of The Slayer path when there are no friends to rely on.)

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 18:50:50

At 2/19/20 06:37 PM, nightsavior wrote:
At 2/19/20 06:28 PM, Aaron-Chandler wrote: I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu. The series is 25 years old. And we get a character who is strong and female without also being an insufferable Mary Sue. Buffy has gifts, but she also has to put in effort. She learns from her failures and earns every victory she has.

Yeah,I'm not a big fan of Joss Whedon as a person but he has created things I really got into! I also liked Buffy because akin to Luke we saw her make mistakes and grow from them. She wasn't simply "good at everything" and without the Scoobies (Her supporting friends) I believe her fate would have been much darker. (Faith is symbolic of The Slayer path when there are no friends to rely on.)

Like the scene where Xander stops Willow from destroying the world.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 19:07:49

At 2/19/20 06:50 PM, Aaron-Chandler wrote:
At 2/19/20 06:37 PM, nightsavior wrote:

Like the scene where Xander stops Willow from destroying the world.

Aye,the friendship between Xander and Willow was one of the highlights of the show! It wasn't "forced" and would be how typical friends of opposite genders would act around each other.

Another problem I have with the new Star-Wars trilogy is the main characters don't have much time to bond or for camaraderie. Granted Empire Strikes back separated Luke from Leia and Han but in the other films (New Hope/Return Of The Jedi) they were all in it together. In the new saga especially Poe seemed constantly pulled into other things and Rey left Finn behind to find Luke. I'm sure we're supposed to use our imaginations to "fill in those gaps" but it still seems disjointed and unnatural. (Also how Rose went from being a "main character" to "practically nothing" in the following movie. I get not everyone liked her but you don't establish someone giving her that much screen time just to make her the equivalent of an unimportant rpg npc further down the line.....)

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-19 20:29:48

At 2/19/20 05:42 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote:
Making legends non canon was the most retarded decision I had seen in ages. Disney had no clue what to do or where they were going with the franchise when they bought it.

They only thing they did was bank on the marketability of the brand.

Yeah then they pick and choose what's canon and changed whole aspects of the lore it's horrible.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-20 07:48:18

I like this guy a lot.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-20 09:04:56

At 2/19/20 09:00 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: .

They were super wishy washy. I didn't follow it enough to keep track.

Yeah for God's sake they added time travel through the force because they wrote themselves into a corner. They screwed up lightsaber lore and quite a few characters they pick and choose what's canon from Legends and decides if can be incorporated originally or alter the lire

Thrawn is canon again but he wasn't, I can't remember if Reven is again or isn't. It's like they were flipping coins to decide things.

Revan and malak and bastila Shan are canon because of the SWOTR games make them money and the MMO and Bane because he is their influence and because of the clone wars show.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-20 15:59:51

At 2/20/20 09:04 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 2/19/20 09:00 PM, SolidPantsSnake wrote: .

They were super wishy washy. I didn't follow it enough to keep track.
Yeah for God's sake they added time travel through the force because they wrote themselves into a corner. They screwed up lightsaber lore and quite a few characters they pick and choose what's canon from Legends and decides if can be incorporated originally or alter the lire

Thrawn is canon again but he wasn't, I can't remember if Reven is again or isn't. It's like they were flipping coins to decide things.
Revan and malak and bastila Shan are canon because of the SWOTR games make them money and the MMO and Bane because he is their influence and because of the clone wars show.

Biggest problem to me with the 'bringing Legends things back to monotise them' schtick they're on is some of the most memorable book characters weren't combat trained (Daala, Ysard, Terrik, Cylo), so we're still going to be missing them!

It's yet another half-assed measure to pander and 'make up' for the movies that still isn't half complete itself.

Western media has descended to the level of Soviet media, pre-Glasnost, except the American people largely still drink from that poisoned well, thinking it provides "news."

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-20 21:59:43

At 2/20/20 03:59 PM, OpusFreiling wrote:
Biggest problem to me with the 'bringing Legends things back to monotise them' schtick they're on is some of the most memorable book characters weren't combat trained (Daala, Ysard, Terrik, Cylo), so we're still going to be missing them!
It's yet another half-assed measure to pander and 'make up' for the movies that still isn't half complete itself.

Legends compared to the nee Dinsey is far more coherent and original, right now they're picking and choosing what's canojnfrom legends which has over 30 years worth of material that's been for the most part well curated, once Disney happened that went out the window and you can see it with all of the new material and how fue6re handling it.

Response to Let's talk about Rey 2020-02-26 02:53:14 (edited 2020-02-26 02:54:09)

At 2/17/20 06:02 PM, Aaron-Chandler wrote: You know? Rey Palpatine. The biggest problem with the sequel trilogy.

She was created by feminist, for feminist, to act as an icon of feminism. As if that makes any sense in a fucking Star Wars movie.

She's a strong female character. And why is she strong? Why, because Kylo did all the work, of course. Rey and Kylo are a Force dyad. As Kylo grows strong in the dark side, the light makes Rey strong enough to match him. Kylo has trained, learned, and sacrificed all his for everything he has, only for the force to just buff Rey until she matches him. She would've died in obscurity on Jakku if he hadn't.

There's your feminist character, people. A strong female character who all her strength to a man's hard work. How inspiring!

*sigh* Does anyone remember when we used to have good female characters? Dana Scully. Buffy Summers. Elisa Maza. I could go on all day. Why are the people who grew up with characters like this so bad at creating characters at least as good?

'I bought the movies just for lols

But i have always hated Super Heroes, Star Wars and Star Trek. The dumbest form of entertainment in my view. But its basically just another friggin Star Wars movie. Laser swords, pew pew you are dead. Thats it. Only Star Wars movie that actually had a plot was Star Wars 3 (which is the only movie i liked). But the rest are just the same